[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIL, transfers, and 2024-25.  (Read 11185 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NIL, transfers, and 2024-25.
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2023, 10:29:44 PM »
Isn’t MU building a new practice gym? 2 full courts side to side?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2023, 11:02:42 PM »
I’ve been hearing that rumor / want for 5 years.  Even if they do build over Schroeder Field it’s a fraction of the cost of The AMC.

I’m confident we can build a big NIL fund assuming we make a deep run.  Shaka himself gives many faith to invest that you wouldn’t with Buzz and maybe even TC.  His authenticity will pay off big time.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2023, 11:04:15 PM »
Better cut down the nets in Houston this year, just to be safe.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2023, 11:13:21 PM »
Mac is the proud owner of one of the worst NBA contracts, maybe he can pony up some bucks, aina?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2023, 01:50:50 AM »
I have never worried about MU having money to compete in the NIL game and more confident about that today. Thinking our players may not be tempted is naive in thinking, but given they are having a blast at MU it already gives MU a fighting chance.

Only negative I see, which is also a positive, I do not think we will see MU getting in bidding wars over players. A year ago I thought that was the best path to take, today I think that will ultimately prove to be the wrong model to take.

If the core of the team is back next year, it will be Shaka’s greatest recruiting season. I believe that every guy needs to recruited every year to retain them in this new era of NIL.

I have my feelings on who may or may not be back, but zero interest in discussing until this team is done cutting down nets.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:02:18 AM by Goose »

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2023, 04:15:34 AM »
Isn't it still only one free transfer from a 4 year school to another 4 year school? So TK would have to sit out a year since he already transferred once and wouldn't be considered a Grad transfer. I believe there are a few others on our roster that would fall into the same category.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2023, 04:46:56 AM »
Doesn't matter.  If that happens and Marquette thinks they need those players, then they'll find a way to keep them.

I don't buy them just leaving for money because the reality is, none of these guys are guys that teams are going to back up a truck for.  They are all just pretty good players that make a really good team.

Kolek has become one of the best players in the country because of Shaka and Marquette recognizing his talents and making it the perfect situation for him. Marquette will be fine.

as i started reading this thread from original post going forward, i had to stop here before reading anymore...this is a great post! 

shaka's sum is only as good as it's parts.  he has put together a unique combination of players that have clicked together.  this is the goal of every coach, it just doesn't work out to the point that this squad has for any number of reasons-people change, injuries, people being true to thyself, home sick, personal issues, etc etc.  shaka is a great entrepreneur of people, specifically basketball people. 

right now, the group he has assembled is HIS TEAM.  they functioned together so far to win the big east and put together a 24-6 record.  so many things had to go right to get to this point.  with the success comes all the other noise.  a big part of me says let's enjoy this ride as long and as far as it takes us.  many things have to happen yet for it to continue but i like our chances

on the other hand, if one is to stray from the party here, unfortunately "the devil went down to..."   if we have to confront this issue now because, well, someone had to bring it up, yes, like it or not, the NIL is here.  who's going to win?  i am not going to say you'd have to be a dummy to go for the money elsewhere, because i honestly can't tell you what i'd do at that age presented with the same situation.  BUT, the wise ones understand the grass isn't always greener either. 

if shaka has connected with these guys as he has shown thus far, and he's contagious, this could be a great ride.  only time will tell, but my money is on shaka.
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2023, 05:51:39 AM »
I don't think that's as true as you think. Where there's a will, there's a way

I have always assumed as much.   But officially...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2023, 06:56:17 AM »
I have always assumed as much.   But officially...

Nothing underhanded about it. Restrictions only apply to work done in the US
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 07:19:48 AM »
Interesting read by Mac.   

If we got the mula to sh1t can ole whatshisface, we got the mula to compete. 

Money will follow this success.  When we went to the F4, we raised the final four million to build the Al.

We got the dough.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 07:23:34 AM »
Billy Packer was right
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2023, 07:25:56 AM »
Interesting read by Mac.   

If we got the mula to sh1t can ole whatshisface, we got the mula to compete. 

Money will follow this success.  When we went to the F4, we raised the final four million to build the Al.

We got the dough.

but isn't MU $$ different from NIL $$ ?

my understanding is that NIL comes directly from a "booster' or a sponsor (separate from the school-teal?)who wants to use said player in an ad campaign-energy drinks, restaurants, clothing etc no?
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2023, 07:32:29 AM »
Not being a willing millionaire, it is indeed hard for me to fathom willing millionaires who drop tens of thousands into a sports program, but I know it happens, I guess.

Here's a thought experiment:  Imagine having the NIL discussion during the latter half of the Wojo years.   Tough sell to have a booster drop 5-6-7 figures so a team can maybe reach the middle of the pack.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2023, 07:38:45 AM »
This could be a good weekend for incoming NIL money. There is a large number of formers players that played for Al in town for a reunion and the game. Hoping they all brought their wallets.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2023, 07:51:54 AM »
Here's a thought experiment:  Imagine having the NIL discussion during the latter half of the Wojo years.   Tough sell to have a booster drop 5-6-7 figures so a team can maybe reach the middle of the pack.

Some days it seems like you are stuck there too.  Get on the bus!

I think that the value proposition to the player for the next couple years is 1. Fame/Glory (you're going to win) 2. Development/System (Your skills will be featured so you will get paid in the NBA/Pros) and 3. Money (bag of cash)

The top players in the country can probably have a shot at all three (top 15/20 each year) but others (resume of most of our players) will have to choose/compromise. 

There is one ball and it makes the stakes even higher to re-recruit the 6th/7th man that likely made #1 possible.  No different than the secondary/role players in the NBA.  Conversely, I think MU has the resources to keep our top players in the fold if they choose to come back.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:54:13 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2023, 08:00:20 AM »
Isn't it still only one free transfer from a 4 year school to another 4 year school? So TK would have to sit out a year since he already transferred once and wouldn't be considered a Grad transfer. I believe there are a few others on our roster that would fall into the same category.

OMax also already transferred once and would need to sit out.  I feel reasonably confident neither of those guys would jump because of that reason.  (NBA is a different story).

Oso, Kolek, Ellis, and Stevie all seem like Shaka guys, so I think a sense of loyalty would win out, but no guarantees there.  I'm also not really worried about anyone backing up a Brinks truck for Ellis/Stevie, etc.  For Oso and Stevie in particular, I think that education is also super important.

Joplin might want to be a starter.  If he sees that opportunity elsewhere, he might jump.  Money might actually help KEEP him here, since I don't think he'd be worth a ton in transfer NIL.  He is also local, which helps.

Really hard to predict what an international guy like Gold might do.  Australian league might be tempting.

I admit I have exactly zero read on either of the Jones' or Chase Ross.  Kam is the only one who might fetch high $$ in the transfer market (he comps pretty well to Tyrese Hunter who transferred within conference almost certainly for $$), unless Ross/Sean really shows out in a tournament game. 

If there's one positive, it's that NIL poaching could help clear the scholarship log-jam? (Just trying to silver-lining this)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2023, 08:02:45 AM »
So does money.

If anyone wants to help: https://www.bethedifferencenil.org/donation-page/

I love MU Hoops, but if I'm donating to the University, I want it to go towards paying for smart but financially disadvantaged kids to go to college, not for paying athletes who will make way more than I ever will for being good at throwing a ball through a ring.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2023, 08:27:57 AM »
I love MU Hoops, but if I'm donating to the University, I want it to go towards paying for smart but financially disadvantaged kids to go to college, not for paying athletes who will make way more than I ever will for being good at throwing a ball through a ring.

Then stop wasting your time on a message board with anonymous fans and get back to work, work harder, make more money and donate it so you can pay for smart but financially disadvantaged kids to go to college instead of discussing athletes who will make way more than you ever will (way to salary cap yourself, COLE) for being good at throwing a ball through a ring.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2023, 09:02:06 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2023, 09:14:51 AM »

Then you don't understand how the collective works. Your donation goes to support organizations like All In Milwaukee, Boys and Girls Club, Sharps Literacy, etc. Some does go to players for their work with these initiatives. The collective couldn't be a 501(C)(3) if it's main purpose was paying players.
TAMU

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2023, 09:17:34 AM »
Free agency rarely works in Major League Baseball or Professional Football. If it did, the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox would have a four-team, seven game each elimination tournament.

My beloved St. Louis Cardinals cornered the market on Brinks trucks to bring in Nolan Arenado and Paul Goldschmidt. My God, the Cubs have a pennant since the last time the Cardinals won it all! It just didn't work.

Why do you think it will work in College Basketball?

What Shaka has shown is what most of us who follow college basketball know -- its the system that works. The system means having an excellent coach, clear understanding of roles and players who make their own individual desires subservient to the greater good of the team. Talent helps but if talent were the only reason teams succeeded, North Carolina and Kentucky would not be vastly underperforming this year.

At day's end, NIL may bring someone in who can fit and will get a team "over the top." But it is far more important that we build from within, groom players who will be good ballplayers, good students and ultimately good alumni -- oh and can win a Natty for us! In that vein, I'd be surprised if anyone left. Certainly not Oso, whose success can be traced to Coach Shaka's arrival and efforts.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2023, 09:24:14 AM »
Just based on what's publicly known my guess is:

O-Max and Kolek are off the board because they aren't going to sit for a year

Oso is off the board because he's such a unique player that I don't think would be nearly as valuable outside this system, I don't think he'll command an unreasonable NIL price

Stevie and Jop could certainly jump but I don't think either would command an NIL price that we couldn't match

Someone would be smart to throw stupid money at Ross but I don't think they will without more proof of concept

Gold/S Jones/Ellis/Itejere aren't commanding significant NIL offers

That leaves Kam. Other than Kolek, he appears to be the most bought in to what Shaka is selling so I'm hopeful that he will stay home. But if Memphis backs up 4 or 5 brinks trucks for him to come home....that's hard to say no to. To be clear, I'm not predicting this will happen but just a situation I could see playing out.

Any of these guys could leave for any number of reasons. NIL isn't the only reason a player may leave. But Kam is the only one that I'm "worried" about getting high enough offers to convince him to leave a situation he would otherwise stay in.
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2023, 09:25:04 AM »
Then stop wasting your time on a message board with anonymous fans and get back to work, work harder, make more money and donate it so you can pay for smart but financially disadvantaged kids to go to college instead of discussing athletes who will make way more than you ever will (way to salary cap yourself, COLE) for being good at throwing a ball through a ring.

For me MU basketball is a nice distraction in the winter.  I look forward to every game.  I live just far enough away to not have season tickets but get to a few games a year, home or away. This fund is worth giving a little money to in my opinion because it funds my entertainment, much like cable TV or gambling or golf or a vacation.  I personally want MU to win at a high level so I’ll do my part.  The money that will come into the school with a successful program will more than offset my donation to the players.  It’s a win, win situation as long as we do it the right way.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2023, 09:25:38 AM »
Free agency rarely works in Major League Baseball or Professional Football.

Why do you think it will work in College Basketball?

Because it works like gangbusters in professional basketball?
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »
Scoopiest scoop thread so far this month
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.