Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 3 v 14  (Read 2050 times)

DoctorV

• All American
3 v 14
« on: February 21, 2023, 11:58:06 PM »
Columbus.
Lots of ball still to ball, and the most important ball of all imo, hanging on to a conference ship.

That said, just want to prepare the masses.
The biggest upset 3v14 pick in the dance will be the Marquette game, if they get a 3 seed.

Why? Well, because Marquette was predicted to finish 9th. Beyond that, the BE media still didn’t believe Marquette could win the conference, or even win in Omaha tonight.

So, people love upset picks. Insert #14 seed facing overachieving #3 seed Marquette, with the unathletic pg and the undersized 5 that’s really a 4, and the SG that disappears. Tack on a Coach Shaka that just lost to Abilene as a 3 and well…. Can you blame them?

When you see it, expect it. Don’t be tormented by it.
As a guy we know said, unnatural carnal knowledge EM.

Throw the entire concentration on whoever that 14 is and go out and play your game Marquette. Win with conviction.

Can’t wait for this next month.

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: 3 v 14
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 12:08:13 AM »
It took a miracle to beat a 14 seed last time we played one. I don’t think my emotions have ever fluctuated so drastically in that short of a time before.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 12:10:54 AM »
Bracing myself to play a really tough mid major like the University of Madison

1SE

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 02:53:26 AM »
Columbus.
Lots of ball still to ball, and the most important ball of all imo, hanging on to a conference ship.

That said, just want to prepare the masses.
The biggest upset 3v14 pick in the dance will be the Marquette game, if they get a 3 seed.

Why? Well, because Marquette was predicted to finish 9th. Beyond that, the BE media still didn’t believe Marquette could win the conference, or even win in Omaha tonight.

So, people love upset picks. Insert #14 seed facing overachieving #3 seed Marquette, with the unathletic pg and the undersized 5 that’s really a 4, and the SG that disappears. Tack on a Coach Shaka that just lost to Abilene as a 3 and well…. Can you blame them?

When you see it, expect it. Don’t be tormented by it.
As a guy we know said, unnatural carnal knowledge EM.

Throw the entire concentration on whoever that 14 is and go out and play your game Marquette. Win with conviction.

Can’t wait for this next month.

Neither did most of Scoop. But Long COLE is hard to shake. Hopefully a few more got over it last night.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 09:29:18 AM »
The media as a whole has been overwhelmingly positive towards Marquette.  There have been a ton of pieces about the culture Shaka has built and how great the offense is and how well Kolek runs it.  I don't think we'll be a popular upset pick if we're on the 3 line.

The media members picking Creighton to beat us at home is...well, it's expected.  They were higher in the metric ratings, a single game back in the conference standings, and they were at home.  They had lost 1 game at home going into last night, when they were without Kalk.  It's not like they were picking St. John's at home against Marquette.  For at least some decent period of time, Creighton was playing as the 2nd best team in the country since Kalk's return.  This was a massive win on the road.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:38:56 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 09:37:31 AM »
The media as a whole has been overwhelmingly positive towards Marquette.  There have been a ton of pieces about the culture Shaka has built and how great the offense is and how well Kolek runs it.  I don't think we'll be a popular upset pick if we're on the 3 line.

The media members picking Creighton to beat us at home is...well, it's expected.  They were higher in the metric ratings, a single game back in the conference standings, and they were at home.  They had lost 1 game at home last night, when they were without Kalk.  It's not like they were picking St. John's at home against Marquette.  For at least some decent period of time, Creighton was playing as the 2nd best team in the country since Kalk's return.  This was a massive win on the road.

Agree. They have a job to do. I am not saying that all of them are fair and balanced in their remarks about cbb , but a solid majority are.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 09:43:44 AM »

The media members picking Creighton to beat us at home is...well, it's expected.  They were higher in the metric ratings, a single game back in the conference standings, and they were at home.  They had lost 1 game at home going into last night, when they were without Kalk.  It's not like they were picking St. John's at home against Marquette.  For at least some decent period of time, Creighton was playing as the 2nd best team in the country since Kalk's return.  This was a massive win on the road.

And even for yesterdays game.

The 3 man weave boys when doing their best bets were super complimentary of us. Thought 5.5-6 pts was giving way too much when Providence without Bynum gave up the same.

I think they all expected a Creighton win. But two of them liked us getting the points due to Shaka as a road dog. And the other said his best bet was Creighton first half -3 not the whole game, nailed that too.

We get quite a lot of respect from anyone associated with Field of 68 thats forsure.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 12:28:44 PM »
To be honest I don’t really think Marquette being a popular upset pick would be because of disrespect, I wouldn’t see it that way at least.

I think the constant narrative up to and including Selection Sunday will be the idea that Marquette was picked 9th and has greatly overachieved in the Big East.

Human nature is to run with that narrative and to then turn it into the idea that “since they overachieved, they are the type of team that could stumble!”

Also, recent memory has seen some Shaka struggles.

All that combined and I think Marquette will be a popular upset type of pick.
Won’t matter a lick, and I actually prefer it, because Coach Smart loves using that stuff as motivation

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 02:41:32 PM »
It took a miracle to beat a 14 seed last time we played one. I don’t think my emotions have ever fluctuated so drastically in that short of a time before.

Yelled “Go” at the top of my lungs in a silent Rupp Arena when Vander caught the inbounds pass. People were listening and looking. Happy he made the shot 
Yelled Steal it less loud seconds ahead of Tyler’s Illinois steal and basket. Happy he did not get called for a foul and made the basket

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 10:41:23 PM »
Evan Miya’s tournament simulation today had #3 seed Marquette losing to #14 seed UC Irvine in the first round.

As I noted to open this thread up, I think we will see a lot more of this from Selection Sunday until the ball is tipped, if MU ends up on the 3 line.
As a 2 there wouldn’t be a lot of upset picks.

Don’t be surprised when you hear it, and it might be for the best as Coach Shaka can use it as added motivation for the only game that will truly matter after Selection Sunday, game #1

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 10:56:48 PM »
Evan Miya’s tournament simulation today had #3 seed Marquette losing to #14 seed UC Irvine in the first round.

As I noted to open this thread up, I think we will see a lot more of this from Selection Sunday until the ball is tipped, if MU ends up on the 3 line.
As a 2 there wouldn’t be a lot of upset picks.

Don’t be surprised when you hear it, and it might be for the best as Coach Shaka can use it as added motivation for the only game that will truly matter after Selection Sunday, game #1

Projections don't worry me with this team. Almost 30 games of evidence not to!
VIOLENCE!

feedback