[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where are you Brew?  (Read 3154 times)

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: Where are you Brew?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2023, 11:05:44 PM »
Big 12 teams are losing to high end teams so ISU or KSU won't be penalized for a loss.  They have more Q1 wins than we do, though us picking up a Q1A win on the road is a massive resume builder.

Be happy with a 3 seed.  It is quite an accomplishment.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2023, 11:06:30 PM »
3-seed now, no question. We probably need help to get to a 2. Barring an unexpected loss, our seed and first weekend location is set.

Help sure, but not so fast on the 3 seed no question.

You are a numbers guy and the numbers say Marquette should win the next 3, and first 2 at the Garden to play in the final.

If that happens, I see a 2

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2023, 11:07:54 PM »
As others stated, we need a perfect storm to get a 2.  If other teams above is lose games and we run the table and pick up some Q1 wins at MSG, we could get to the two line.

We were 14 on the seed list during the reveal. Since then Baylor, Tennessee, Iowa State and Indiana have all lost 2 games. Let’s assume we pass them and move up to 10.

That leaves Virginia, Arizona, and UCLA as the next few teams ahead of us. We need to pass 2 of them for a 2 seed. We’d just need 2 of those three to kind of fall apart down the stretch which is unlikely due to their weak schedules. It’s possible to get there, but I think our ceiling is 3. Don’t think the BET will make one bit of difference one way or the other.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2023, 11:10:30 PM »
We were 14 on the seed list during the reveal. Since then Baylor, Tennessee, Iowa State and Indiana have all lost 2 games. Let’s assume we pass them and move up to 10.

That leaves Virginia, Arizona, and UCLA as the next few teams ahead of us. We need to pass 2 of them for a 2 seed. We’d just need 2 of those three to kind of fall apart down the stretch which is unlikely due to their weak schedules. It’s possible to get there, but I think our ceiling is 3. Don’t think the BET will make one bit of difference one way or the other.

Az and UCLA are an unfortunate scenario.

Why? Because the bracketolonerds (no offense!) value Az who has the worse record and worse net.

UCLA host them last game. UCLA should hopefully win, but AZ was ahead in the bracket reveal. Tricky there

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2023, 11:10:38 PM »
I don't think either is a lock, but Arizona's top tier wins are stellar. UCLA I think is vulnerable. Though Virginia and K-State have the edge on us to move up there. Honestly, though, not much difference between a 2 and 3 this year.

Virginia has no business being ahead of us in any scenario despite the early bracket reveal.  They play in a weaker league than MU, and their best road win is over Michigan.  ACC is garbage this year.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2023, 11:11:24 PM »
Help sure, but not so fast on the 3 seed no question.

You are a numbers guy and the numbers say Marquette should win the next 3, and first 2 at the Garden to play in the final.

If that happens, I see a 2

Beating DePaul, Butler, St John's and then St. Johns again won't improve our resume at all.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2023, 11:15:21 PM »
I’m as enthusiastic Warrior fan as anyone but I’m still not convinced of the NCAA giving us the respect we have earned.

We currently are a four seed probably headed for Albany or Orlando. We weren’t even the best rated 4 seed.

What’s left for us is three games against pretty poor teams, DePaul, Butler and St. John’s. Two of the three are at home and third is at Hellinkle. Assuming we win all three, what makes anyone think the NCAA is going to move us up.

About the only expectation for a higher than four seed in my Warrior induced mind would be if we ran the table during the BE tournament and several of the teams ahead of us lose. I think we are in the Top 10 largely because of that chokehold the SEC has on Tennessee’s neck.

For a team picked 9th in the Big East to be a four seed and to win the Big East regular season title is unbelievable. If Shaka ain’t coach of the year and Tyler player of the year, something is wrong.

In the meantime F@ck ‘em!!!!!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2023, 11:18:05 PM »
Virginia has no business being ahead of us in any scenario despite the early bracket reveal.  They play in a weaker league than MU, and their best road win is over Michigan.  ACC is garbage this year.

I think that’s why getting a 3 is so huge. We’d have a fantastic chance in a S16 game with the PAC12 teams or Virginia as a 2 either against them or against the lower seed that knocks them off. Obviously a long way to go before worrying about that but there is still a lot to play for here. A 3 puts MU in a great position to make a deep run.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2023, 11:18:50 PM »
I’m as enthusiastic Warrior fan as anyone but I’m still not convinced of the NCAA giving us the respect we have earned.

We currently are a four seed probably headed for Albany or Orlando. We weren’t even the best rated 4 seed.

What’s left for us is three games against pretty poor teams, DePaul, Butler and St. John’s. Two of the three are at home and third is at Hellinkle. Assuming we win all three, what makes anyone think the NCAA is going to move us up.

About the only expectation for a higher than four seed in my Warrior induced mind would be if we ran the table during the BE tournament and several of the teams ahead of us lose. I think we are in the Top 10 largely because of that chokehold the SEC has on Tennessee’s neck.

For a team picked 9th in the Big East to be a four seed and to win the Big East regular season title is unbelievable. If Shaka ain’t coach of the year and Tyler player of the year, something is wrong.

We have beat two top 20 teams since the reveal, so stay hopeful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2023, 11:19:07 PM »

The word is those rankings were done before our Xavier win. Now we’ve added an outstanding road win and multiple teams ahead of us have lost multiple games. If we’re not a solid 3 seed as right now something’s wrong.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2023, 11:20:47 PM »

Brother dgies,

I believe by all measurements and tonight's results right now MU is definitely a #3 seed. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2023, 11:27:38 PM »
Brother dgies,

I believe by all measurements and tonight's results right now MU is definitely a #3 seed.

Brother Muggs:

I hope you are right. We deserve it.

But the NCAA has a way of crapping on our parade. Hell, I’m halfway expecting some quant geek in the bowels of Indianapolis to somehow move Florida Atlantic ahead of us. Or something equally stupid.

Only answer: F@ck ‘em!!!!

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2023, 11:40:31 PM »
Beating DePaul, Butler, St John's and then St. Johns again won't improve our resume at all.

I take the point, but after a while the win total becomes hard to ignore. A 26/27 win team is hard to put on a 3 line.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2023, 12:08:14 AM »
I think there is no doubt that we have passed Indiana and Iowa State and secured at least the last 3 seed.

Kansas State has has had two big wins (but not as big as ours). If they committee took their Feb 14 loss to Oklahoma into account during the reel, then they are likely still ahead of us. If the loss to Oklahoma wasn't counted, then we are likely above them.

Virginia has had two awful performance to ACC cellar dwellers Louisville and Notre Dame...but they won both games. I'm not sure how big the gap was between as and UVA but it's possible that we have hopped them as well.

Tennessee has lost twice on the road to top 40 KenPom teams....but also beat the #1 overall seed. I think the Creighton win likely gets us over them but not a guarantee.

Texas, UCLA, and Arizona have had strong performances since the reveal.

Baylor has lost twice but both games were on the road to other teams in the top 16 reveal (though both were double digits). I'm not sure that's enough to drop them below us.

If I had to guess, I'd say we are 11th (3rd 3 seed) on the S-Curve right now...but in striking distance of the next three (Baylor, Virginia, Kansas State). None of our remaining games are going to move the needle so we will need some help to have any hope of a 2 seed. Honestly, it's a long shot.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2023, 12:34:40 AM »

Let’s beat them one at a time, anyway!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2023, 06:14:47 AM »
Hypothetically speaking, what would happen to a team's seed if they were a 1 at the reveal -- maybe even the No. 1 -- and their top player got suspended for the remainder of the season?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2023, 06:27:40 AM »
I think there is no doubt that we have passed Indiana and Iowa State and secured at least the last 3 seed.

Kansas State has has had two big wins (but not as big as ours). If they committee took their Feb 14 loss to Oklahoma into account during the reel, then they are likely still ahead of us. If the loss to Oklahoma wasn't counted, then we are likely above them.

Virginia has had two awful performance to ACC cellar dwellers Louisville and Notre Dame...but they won both games. I'm not sure how big the gap was between as and UVA but it's possible that we have hopped them as well.

Tennessee has lost twice on the road to top 40 KenPom teams....but also beat the #1 overall seed. I think the Creighton win likely gets us over them but not a guarantee.

Texas, UCLA, and Arizona have had strong performances since the reveal.

Baylor has lost twice but both games were on the road to other teams in the top 16 reveal (though both were double digits). I'm not sure that's enough to drop them below us.

If I had to guess, I'd say we are 11th (3rd 3 seed) on the S-Curve right now...but in striking distance of the next three (Baylor, Virginia, Kansas State). None of our remaining games are going to move the needle so we will need some help to have any hope of a 2 seed. Honestly, it's a long shot.

Even if we lose one?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 06:33:40 AM by muwarrior69 »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2023, 07:07:49 AM »
Hypothetically speaking, what would happen to a team's seed if they were a 1 at the reveal -- maybe even the No. 1 -- and their top player got suspended for the remainder of the season?

Probably not much, if anything.

There is some precedent for late injuries to key players (I remember one involving Cincinnati several years ago) and they still got a 1 seed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »
Even if we lose one?

No they would move the needle negatively if we lost. At Butler only a little bit,  the others would be more significant
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.