[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Markus Howard Jersey Be Retired

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement  (Read 18347 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Poll: Markus Howard Jersey Retirement
« Reply #300 on: September 24, 2023, 05:46:00 PM »
Look at our season avg off eff numbers with Markus. Then shhhh

I don't think this guy understands stats. More of an eye test guy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2023, 05:58:07 PM »
OK, I’m convinced. Not only shouldn’t Markus be honored, he should be imprisoned for impersonating a basketball player.

Beyond the silliness … you know how Markus made his teammates “better”? He was the focus of every defense we played, often resulting in wide-open shots for the Hausers, Sacar, Cain, Koby, Bailey, Theo, etc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 10:38:04 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2023, 06:12:02 PM »
I don't think this guy understands stats. More of an eye test guy.
Completely playing that card here...and admitting to it.  I "get" stats at an academically high level...sometimes I don't agree with what the numbers tell me.  I had some great professors at MU that pointed out how stats can tell you anything.  Again, I'm not saying I'm positive I'm right on this...just really had a problem with Markus from an eye test standpoint.  I felt he was a culture killer...probably one of the few that felt the Hauser's were right to leave.  I will die on the hill that I'd rather have TKO or TD running the point for me, and I wouldn't have been big on playing Markus off the ball given his size unless I had a big PG.  If I were a recruit I wasn't coming to MU to play with Markus.  If I were on the team with Sam's abilities...I was exiting like Sam did.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 07:45:15 PM by avid1010 »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2023, 08:38:46 PM »
Completely playing that card here...and admitting to it.  I "get" stats at an academically high level...sometimes I don't agree with what the numbers tell me.  I had some great professors at MU that pointed out how stats can tell you anything.  Again, I'm not saying I'm positive I'm right on this...just really had a problem with Markus from an eye test standpoint.  I felt he was a culture killer...probably one of the few that felt the Hauser's were right to leave.  I will die on the hill that I'd rather have TKO or TD running the point for me, and I wouldn't have been big on playing Markus off the ball given his size unless I had a big PG.  If I were a recruit I wasn't coming to MU to play with Markus.  If I were on the team with Sam's abilities...I was exiting like Sam did.

I get your points and don't necessarily disagree with you.  However, I think both statements can be true:  Markus deserves to have his number retired, but that due to playing for a coach who encouraged Markus to shoot more and pounded into his head that he had the ultimate green light - he didn't make those around him better.

Markus was a shoot first, second and maybe pass as the third option "point guard."  I don't blame Sam at all for leaving as he left due to Wojo being the catalyst for Markus not playing team basketball.

I don't think any high level players really would enjoy playing with a guy who takes 37% of your team's shots while on the floor.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2023, 09:25:29 PM »
Scoop knows ball

MUScoop

• Administrator
  • Walk-On
    • MUScoop - Marquette Basketball and Sports Supersite
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2023, 11:01:40 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2023, 08:48:38 AM »
I get your points and don't necessarily disagree with you.  However, I think both statements can be true:  Markus deserves to have his number retired, but that due to playing for a coach who encouraged Markus to shoot more and pounded into his head that he had the ultimate green light - he didn't make those around him better.

Markus was a shoot first, second and maybe pass as the third option "point guard."  I don't blame Sam at all for leaving as he left due to Wojo being the catalyst for Markus not playing team basketball.

I don't think any high level players really would enjoy playing with a guy who takes 37% of your team's shots while on the floor.

Yeah Sam really showed how he could thrive in a team system getting .4 more FGA and raising his PPG 1.1. Good thing he finally got to shine in the spotlight.

He sat out a year and still was essentially the same without Markus. Markus' high usage was not at the expense of either Hauser as seen by their UVA and MSU stats.

But agree that both those statements are true Markus made highlights and could literally win a game by himself. But wasn't going to make an average player look great out there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 08:50:28 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2023, 09:49:18 AM »

Yeah Sam really showed how he could thrive in a team system getting .4 more FGA and raising his PPG 1.1. Good thing he finally got to shine in the spotlight.

He sat out a year and still was essentially the same without Markus. Markus' high usage was not at the expense of either Hauser as seen by their UVA and MSU stats.

But agree that both those statements are true Markus made highlights and could literally win a game by himself. But wasn't going to make an average player look great out there.

Sam was a good to very good college player but the facts are the facts - he was hardly liberated by being on a different team from Markus, either statistically or NCAAT success-wise.

Joey wasn't even an average player for most of his time with Sparty. He was benched by his coach, booed at home by the fans, and was mostly mediocre (or worse) until he was 23 years old and 4 years removed from the evils of Markus Howard.

Being on the court with Markus got each of them numerous wide-open looks every game.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #308 on: September 25, 2023, 11:05:10 AM »
Markus Howard opens his second campaign in Spain with a ho-hum 29 points and a standing ovation. On the road. From opposing fans. Also tabbed as the league's player of the week. 

https://x.com/PaintTouches/status/1706312036366327969?s=20

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #309 on: September 25, 2023, 11:10:35 AM »
Markus Howard opens his second campaign in Spain with a ho-hum 29 points and a standing ovation. On the road. From opposing fans. Also tabbed as the league's player of the week. 

https://x.com/PaintTouches/status/1706312036366327969?s=20

Don't Spanish coaches realize what a team killer this guy is?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #310 on: September 25, 2023, 11:14:39 AM »
Sam was a good to very good college player but the facts are the facts - he was hardly liberated by being on a different team from Markus, either statistically or NCAAT success-wise.

Joey wasn't even an average player for most of his time with Sparty. He was benched by his coach, booed at home by the fans, and was mostly mediocre (or worse) until he was 23 years old and 4 years removed from the evils of Markus Howard.

Being on the court with Markus got each of them numerous wide-open looks every game.
100%

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #311 on: September 25, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »

It's not just the Hausers. Did any of Markus' former teammates suddenly thrive when they transferred to another school? Or when they started playing professionally? Or during the 20-21 season at Marquette? The only one I think has an argument is Cain but I don't think Markus was holding him back.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #312 on: September 25, 2023, 01:55:31 PM »
It's not just the Hausers. Did any of Markus' former teammates suddenly thrive when they transferred to another school? Or when they started playing professionally? Or during the 20-21 season at Marquette? The only one I think has an argument is Cain but I don't think Markus was holding him back.

Greg at Pitt I guess? Duane at TAMU, but that was hardly Markus holding him back given the age difference.

Of Cheatham, Traci, Symir, Dexter, Koby & Theo, could include Bailey and Frolling in their "pro" careers. I don't think there's one really standout outside of Cain that you could say "they really proved their potential was  wasted by Markus hogging the ball" and as you mentioned Markus was hardly the issue in preventing Cain from getting there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #313 on: September 25, 2023, 02:03:57 PM »
Furthermore, it didn't seem like Sam was all that unhappy until Joey showed up. I'm not "blaming" Joey, but I think it was clear that Sam was the reason he came to Marquette, and my guess is that when Joey wasn't happy, neither was Sam.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #314 on: September 25, 2023, 02:14:07 PM »
I can’t wait until the season starts and we have threads about the current team hijacked by Howard/Hauser/Wojo talk.  Can’t.  Freaking.  Wait.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #315 on: September 25, 2023, 02:16:45 PM »
Sam could've had his jersey up in the rafters right next to Markus's.  Instead he became a nobody at both Marquette and UVA.  Congrats!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #316 on: September 25, 2023, 03:10:34 PM »
Sitting next to a Wisconsin alum on a plane this morning.  68 yo guy.  Half his family went to MU.  MU/Wisconsin basketball rilvalry brought up.  All niceties about how fun it is to play each other every year, blah, blah, blah, vanilla stuff.  No players mentioned.  Then without prompting, “Bo Ryan didn’t want anything to do with the Hausers and their father.”  Out of nowhere.

Maybe the family meddled more than they should have and maybe they thought they knew more than they did.  Maybe Markus was their scape goat. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #317 on: September 25, 2023, 03:12:49 PM »
Furthermore, it didn't seem like Sam was all that unhappy until Joey showed up.
Exactly. Markus spen some Holiday time at the Hauser's, and got to sleep in the top bunk. Kicked Joey to the garage who had to sleep on a dog mattress.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #318 on: September 25, 2023, 03:13:37 PM »
Sitting next to a Wisconsin alum on a plane this morning.  68 yo guy.  Half his family went to MU.  MU/Wisconsin basketball rilvalry brought up.  All niceties about how fun it is to play each other every year, blah, blah, blah, vanilla stuff.  No players mentioned.  Then without prompting, “Bo Ryan didn’t want anything to do with the Hausers and their father.”  Out of nowhere.

Maybe the family meddled more than they should have and maybe they thought they knew more than they did.  Maybe Markus was their scape goat.

He didn't want a parent waiting outside the locker room waiting to confront him immediately after a game about shot distribution?  Huh, wonder why a head coach would not want that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #319 on: September 25, 2023, 03:28:28 PM »
He didn't want a parent waiting outside the locker room waiting to confront him immediately after a game about shot distribution?  Huh, wonder why a head coach would not want that.
Source?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #320 on: September 25, 2023, 03:33:17 PM »
Source?

Someone who I trust much more than anyone who's told me about "the letter."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #321 on: September 25, 2023, 03:40:31 PM »
Maybe Markus was their scape goat.

Not maybe, and not just the Hausers.

I am amazed by the number of Scoopers taking shots at a kid who worked his arse off for four years, committed fully to everything Marquette, was a two-time All-American, was an outstanding student, and represented the university with class.

It's understandable that some didn't like the way Markus was coached, but to go after him while lauding the likes of Joey Hauser ... really?

I can’t wait until the season starts and we have threads about the current team hijacked by Howard/Hauser/Wojo talk.  Can’t.  Freaking.  Wait.

C'mon, man ... that never happens.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #322 on: September 25, 2023, 03:42:37 PM »
I get it.   Living in Spartan country I heard many Joey rumors.   I have heard your story from someone I trust not affiliated with this board.  The same with letter stories, but the two people who told me told very different versions.   Like a game of telephone.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #323 on: September 25, 2023, 07:53:48 PM »

Tim Maymon?
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #324 on: September 25, 2023, 08:02:46 PM »
Careful.  Making that comparison can be triggering.