[Today at 11:08:12 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:02:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thanks for being there last night  (Read 4491 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Thanks for being there last night
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2023, 03:00:59 PM »

Shaka team - there is nothing like being there....

Wojo team - there is nothing like being able to turn the TV off and immediately go do home improvement projects...

Ha! Ain't that the truth.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »
no worries… I’m on the Shaka Bus…and we just blew a Badger Bus off 1-94. Yeah!

Are we still doing “phrasing?”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2023, 03:05:20 PM »
I have lived in Virginia since the 80's and, while I have no desire to move back to the Great Lakes area, I really envy those of you who are able to go to the home games. My wife and I have to settle for the annual GT/MU game in DC, but we will be heading to NYC soon for our 3rd BET.

I really disagree with the idea that watching on TV is almost as good as being there. To us, there is nothing like being there, and "being there" at a home game? It's been so many decades, but I still remember that feeling. I'm jealous!

While I agree there is nothing like "being there," I just don't enjoy the process of "getting there" and "leaving there" more than a couple times a season. Maybe if I lived in the Milwaukee area it would be different, but I kinda doubt it. More than 4 or 5 games in person would be a lot. I can't see myself ever being a STH.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2023, 03:19:19 PM »
Snoop and Goose -- Stevie is also MY wife's favorite! If he only knew he was the faves of lovely, young-at-heart women everywhere!!

I love hearing the stories of Scoopers whose kids and wives are enjoying the MU experience with them this season. Same is true for my kin. Such fun! My wife and I can't wait for the DePaul game on the 25th; it'll be our first this season. Hoping that FF is rockin'.

We Are Marquette!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
As much as I loved being at MU during the Al era, I could not agree more. It's the Shaka era. The Al era is a great memory. The Shaka era is here and now. No comparison.
Wrong about that. The Al era has no comparison. Smart is now approaching my 2nd favorite coach at MU Al is first. and Majerus was 2nd. Not because of his results there but because he was such a character. If Shaka continues to perform, he will take over 2nd place.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2023, 03:35:07 PM »
I was referring to the fact that the past and the present cannot be compared, not the two coaches. We live in the present. My bad.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2023, 03:38:53 PM »
Wrong about that. The Al era has no comparison. Smart is now approaching my 2nd favorite coach at MU Al is first. and Majerus was 2nd. Not because of his results there but because he was such a character. If Shaka continues to perform, he will take over 2nd place.

That’s right, Willie.  When I look at my life size poster of Al, I think about when life was simpler, shorts were short and smoking two-packs a day wasn’t frowned on by the woke mob.  I wake up every morning and look at that poster and salute it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2023, 03:42:04 PM »

Shaka team - there is nothing like being there....

Wojo team - there is nothing like being able to turn the TV off and immediately go do home improvement projects...

I remember meeting a friend at a bar in NYC to watch a Wojo coached Marquette game. 10 minutes in, we weren’t watching, by half we went to eat dinner. Didn’t even check the final score.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2023, 03:46:35 PM »
Willie

I still love Al 20+ years since he has passed away and his era was the glory days of MU. That said, I think it is time to put the ghost of Al in the rearview mirror. Best way to do that, a new era of glory days.

As for your favorite coaches, I still love Rick a decade after the passed away. KO gave us hope, Crean a FF and Buzz a lot of excitement and winning basketball. All great part of our history.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2023, 04:37:16 PM »
Willie

I still love Al 20+ years since he has passed away and his era was the glory days of MU. That said, I think it is time to put the ghost of Al in the rearview mirror. Best way to do that, a new era of glory days.

As for your favorite coaches, I still love Rick a decade after the passed away. KO gave us hope, Crean a FF and Buzz a lot of excitement and winning basketball. All great part of our history.

Side note- Majerus was in a small polysci class that I was also in. That goofy look that he wore on his face? He had it back then. Professor Kantor was great at getting everyone in the little class to offer an opinion, debate, argue, etc. Everyone except Majerus that is. I cannot remember hearing say anything, but maybe he did.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2023, 06:02:48 PM »
Side note- Majerus was in a small polysci class that I was also in. That goofy look that he wore on his face? He had it back then. Professor Kantor was great at getting everyone in the little class to offer an opinion, debate, argue, etc. Everyone except Majerus that is. I cannot remember hearing say anything, but maybe he did.
15 or so years ago Rick is done coaching and is doing commentary for MU/Cincinnati game
Several hours before game he walks into XU rec center pool where my daughter is lifeguarding (Rick in speedo is not a pretty thought!!)
She introduces herself (Rick was a classmate of my older brother at muhs and a good friend of mine)
He gets her 2 tix and a floor pass for game (where she gets to chat with Travis who was hurt)
For as gruff as he appeared his generosity was legendary (going looking for homeless people to give them Christmas Eve dinner
Big man;even bigger heart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2023, 06:05:44 PM »
dajudge

Rick had the biggest heart out there. Last time my two youngest kids saw Rick, he decided to take off his swimsuit after a tip in the lake. Fortunately, Angie covered him up quite quickly. He was one of the best.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2023, 06:10:58 PM »

I worked with Rick for almost ten years.  Many lunches and dinners with him.  He was incredibly well read and very curious.  It's too bad your professor didn't engage him more because Rick was the kind of guy you wanted to listen talk about anything, not just basketball.  Being able to share a table with him is something I am extremly grateful for having experienced.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2023, 07:18:38 PM »
dajudge

Rick had the biggest heart out there. Last time my two youngest kids saw Rick, he decided to take off his swimsuit after a tip in the lake. Fortunately, Angie covered him up quite quickly. He was one of the best.
Goose (and Lens)
Social etiquette was not a real priority for Rick but,as noted, big big heart and generous to a fault
Brilliant mind not limited to bb
Played significant role in my getting appointed to succeed my dad as a judge
Tell you the story if we ever meet in person

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2023, 08:59:38 PM »
That’s right, Willie.  When I look at my life size poster of Al, I think about when life was simpler, shorts were short and smoking two-packs a day wasn’t frowned on by the woke mob.  I wake up every morning and look at that poster and salute it
There is more violence now....
Goal is National Championship

Viper

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2023, 02:35:09 PM »
AL put MU on the map, not just for basketball, but as a school nationally, imo. Incredible success…in the ‘70’s second only to UCLA. He’ll always be my no.1 even though I was too young during his era to appreciate it, or grasp just how good MU was then.  I was bummed when KO left, bummed when Crean left, bummed when Buzz bailed. But Shaka is different. Not sure what it is, but he’s really good. I hope he’s here winning for a long time to where we can name something after him, i.e. Marquette dominates Notre Dame in the new on-campus Shaka Smart Center, on Al McGuire Court…something like that.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2023, 06:15:37 PM »
A huge thank you to all who went to the game last night. As it turned out, I think every voice, every filled seat mattered to our team. Some traveled far (Tower) and others brought friends and family (Goose, the Knight Commission) to a weekday game. I named just a few who come to mind, but again...thanks to all of you.

You’re welcome

feedback