Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looking Ahead - Creighton  (Read 13893 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Looking Ahead - Creighton
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2023, 08:46:26 PM »
Afraid of another Uconn type game.

I don’t think it’s possible based on how our guards locked theirs down last time. The whole time I was wondering how Alexander Nembhard and Kaluma were not even a factor.  I don’t think Kalkbrener’s absence was a factor in that. Hopefully Stevie, Sean, Chase, Kam and Tyler are ready to do the same. 

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2023, 08:48:04 PM »
I don’t think it’s possible based on how our guards locked theirs down last time. The whole time I was wondering how Alexander Nembhard and Kaluma were not even a factor.  I don’t think Kalkbrener’s absence was a factor in that. Hopefully Stevie, Sean, Chase, Kam and Tyler are ready to do the same.

Schierman will be the key - he’s been in a pretty good shooting slump of late - if that continues, I like our chances even more.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:53:21 AM by mugrad_89 »

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
I truly believe that if Marquette wins this game they will shoot up to a 2 seed. If road wins are truly the biggest resume builder this will be the piece we are missing.

I have a hard time believing that the big east winner at 25-6 (17-3) would not get a 2 seed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2023, 02:00:28 PM »
I truly believe that if Marquette wins this game they will shoot up to a 2 seed. If road wins are truly the biggest resume builder this will be the piece we are missing.

I have a hard time believing that the big east winner at 25-6 (17-3) would not get a 2 seed.

You have to play this game for everyone else too though:
Baylor could finish 24-7 (13-5) in a much tougher conference
Texas could finish 25-6 (14-4) in a much tougher conference (both can't happen since they play each other)
UCLA could finish 27-4 (18-2) and win the Pac 12
Arizona could finish 27-4 (16-4) and win the PAC 12 (obviously both can't happen since they play each other)
Tennessee could finish 24-7 (13-5) and come in 2nd in the SEC
Virginia could finish 25-4 (17-3) and win the ACC

That's just the 2 and 3 seeds who are clearly above Marquette at this point. When all is said and done, there will be more than 8 teams who seem deserving a top 2 seed. Marquette needs to win out the regular season (and possibly win the BET) AND get some help just to be in that conversation.

I think a 3 is in the realm of possibility. First step is getting that W tomorrow
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2023, 02:10:51 PM »
You have to play this game for everyone else too though:
Baylor could finish 24-7 (13-5) in a much tougher conference
Texas could finish 25-6 (14-4) in a much tougher conference (both can't happen since they play each other)
UCLA could finish 27-4 (18-2) and win the Pac 12
Arizona could finish 27-4 (16-4) and win the PAC 12 (obviously both can't happen since they play each other)
Tennessee could finish 24-7 (13-5) and come in 2nd in the SEC
Virginia could finish 25-4 (17-3) and win the ACC

That's just the 2 and 3 seeds who are clearly above Marquette at this point. When all is said and done, there will be more than 8 teams who seem deserving a top 2 seed. Marquette needs to win out the regular season (and possibly win the BET) AND get some help just to be in that conversation.

I think a 3 is in the realm of possibility. First step is getting that W tomorrow

Brother Knower of Ball:

If they run the table and are double Big East champions, what's the likelihood we are a two seed.

Asking for a friend.   8-)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2023, 02:11:25 PM »
Creighton a 5.5 point favorite tomorrow.
VIOLENCE!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2023, 02:36:53 PM »
Brother Knower of Ball:

If they run the table and are double Big East champions, what's the likelihood we are a two seed.

Asking for a friend.   8-)

I think it would depend on who they beat. I don’t know that we’d see a huge bump. Also, I’m not sure if the Final is taken that much into consideration.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2023, 03:00:11 PM »

Same as Marquette was over Xavier, wasn't it? If we have the go-ahead possession in the closing 20 or so seconds, don't leave them the 6+seconds that Xavier gave us!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2023, 03:01:25 PM »
Same as Marquette was over Xavier, wasn't it? If we have the go-ahead possession in the closing 20 or so seconds, don't leave them the 6+seconds that Xavier gave us!

Marquette may have been up to a 7 point favorite on Xavier.
VIOLENCE!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2023, 03:04:08 PM »
Marquette may have been up to a 7 point favorite on Xavier.

OK. But if we have the go-ahead possession in the closing 20 or so seconds .... :D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2023, 03:05:05 PM »
My heart and my brain are conflicted.   My heart says MU gets the road win their resume needs.  By brain says take Creighton and give the points.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2023, 03:18:36 PM »
My heart and my brain are conflicted.   My heart says MU gets the road win their resume needs.  By brain says take Creighton and give the points.

Nobody has ever said follow your brain, but I have heard some people say follow your heart.

Use your head and follow your heart IMO.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2023, 03:19:40 PM »

If you're down by 1, as X was, you need to score. You can't worry too much about how much time you leave. You can't pass up a good shot just to milk the clock.

I would hope we'd do the same if we're down 1 needing to score. I'd just hope we'd play better defense after we score to take the lead.

Now, if it's tied, you definitely want the last shot if possible and don't want to give the other team an opportunity.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2023, 04:09:49 PM »
Creighton -5...always a tricky number...I think MU shoots well from 3 and wins this one...but I'm not putting any $ on it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2023, 04:40:08 PM »
If you're down by 1, as X was, you need to score. You can't worry too much about how much time you leave. You can't pass up a good shot just to milk the clock.

I would hope we'd do the same if we're down 1 needing to score. I'd just hope we'd play better defense after we score to take the lead.

Now, if it's tied, you definitely want the last shot if possible and don't want to give the other team an opportunity.

Totally agree. You don’t pass up a lay up down one with 7 seconds left. Period.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2023, 04:44:09 PM »

Billy Packer was right
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2023, 05:08:00 PM »

Hate to say it but take Creighton money line. Don’t think this game will be close if we lose. Very tough place to play and they will be fired up. Most hostile building this team will  see.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2023, 05:31:55 PM »

I think this is a tough spot for a team with a thin bench. Creighton's starters have all played at least 70 minutes in the past week between the Providence 2OT game and the St. John's game that was tougher than expected. They flew from Omaha to Providence to Omaha to New York to Omaha. Those are some of the longest trips in the Big East. And their players have had a short turnaround (3 days) to our break (6 days).

None of that guarantees anything, but I would lean Marquette and the points. The only game Marquette lost by more than 5 was at UConn when the Huskies had inexplicably fortunate shooting. We may not get the win, but I think fresher legs and a deeper bench keeps us inside the number.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2023, 05:56:17 PM »
Completely agree - McDermott failed to develop his bench this year, so hopefully Shaka uses some full court pressure to wear them down.

Agree. Since they aren't deep - only six players - we should press and pierce. We can wear them down. Get them in foul trouble and win with our agressiveness. Marquette will win.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2023, 06:18:08 PM »
I think this is a tough spot for a team with a thin bench. Creighton's starters have all played at least 70 minutes in the past week between the Providence 2OT game and the St. John's game that was tougher than expected. They flew from Omaha to Providence to Omaha to New York to Omaha. Those are some of the longest trips in the Big East. And their players have had a short turnaround (3 days) to our break (6 days).

None of that guarantees anything, but I would lean Marquette and the points. The only game Marquette lost by more than 5 was at UConn when the Huskies had inexplicably fortunate shooting. We may not get the win, but I think fresher legs and a deeper bench keeps us inside the number.

I agree with your analysis.  I am definitely taking MU +5.5, may even take them on the Moneyline too.  I think we are going to win.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2023, 06:29:08 PM »
Afraid of another Uconn type game.
Anyone who knows ball knew UConn was ready for us and we weren’t going to get out of there with a W.
Tomorrow night will be different.
CU has looked slow their last few games.
It could go either way, of course, but CU doesn’t nearly scare me like @ UCONN did.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2023, 07:25:48 PM »
Anyone who knows ball knew UConn was ready for us and we weren’t going to get out of there with a W.
Tomorrow night will be different.
CU has looked slow their last few games.
It could go either way, of course, but CU doesn’t nearly scare me like @ UCONN did.
Can’t tell if this is a bit

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2023, 07:26:26 PM »
None of the freshmen played more than token minutes against X.   All of the starters played 30+.   Shaka hasn't said why.
I assume that he knew he had 6 days off before the next game and felt that playing the starters max minutes was the best way to win.

I hope for more contributions from the bench against Creighton.
I thought this was odd, because it seemed like Mitchell and Kolek were the only starters playing decent.
Oso eventually woke up and Prosper did not show up until the last five minutes.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2023, 07:40:43 PM »
I don’t feel great about this one.

That said, always bet on Shaka as an underdog.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2023, 07:14:35 AM »
It's GameDay!!!  How's everybody doing??   Will we drop the hammer?  Play with power and authority?  I'm just going to say this:  Our best beats Creighton's best.  I fully believe we're the better team and have more weapons. I don't care that we're playing in Omaha, the mindset should be this is our game from the tip.  We absolutely have the right guys to get the W.  I expect a much looser team on the road and for us to get our perimeter J's on track.  We can usurp this conference title TONIGHT.  Let's Freaking Go!!!!