[June 06, 2024, 10:29:38 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Zog from Margo
[June 06, 2024, 09:01:17 PM]

Incoming freshmen by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 06, 2024, 07:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by willie warrior
[June 06, 2024, 04:19:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka article from CBS  (Read 4511 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Re: Shaka article from CBS
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2023, 11:58:53 AM »
Quote from: Tha Hound link=topic=64245.msg1518484#msg1518484 date=
There's also a difference between using the portal to bring in grad transfer one-and-done's, and promising young players like Omax and Kolek.

How are they different?

To me, Shaka's quote implied he sees no difference--he's not playing the NIL game for anyone.

Are you saying that Shaka won't play the NIL game for promising young players, but will when it comes to grad transfers?

Or do you think it's the reverse? 

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2023, 12:38:06 PM »
How are they different?

To me, Shaka's quote implied he sees no difference--he's not playing the NIL game for anyone.

Are you saying that Shaka won't play the NIL game for promising young players, but will when it comes to grad transfers?

Or do you think it's the reverse?

They're just different markets. Fifth year seniors with track records of success at power 6 schools have higher value than benchwarming freshmen (Omax) or mid major freshmen (Kolek).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2023, 12:53:57 PM »
Equalizer is right that we don't know if this will work moving forward, just that it works right now when most of the team was recruited before NIL was in effect (those conversations were being had though).

I think it will work moving forward. I personally believe that the NIL market is a bit crazy at the moment with the market way overpaying for talent. I think that they will come back down to earth in time a schools that already have a sustainable system set up will be ahead of the curve.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2023, 01:01:27 PM »
TAMU

It will balance out when teams do not see ROI from the NIL money. It has a run for programs to buy a team, but more will fail than succeed, imo.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2023, 01:08:55 PM »
The problem is that people are conflating MU's current success using players recruited in the pre-NIL era and projecting that to continue.

The past two years of MU's success have arguably been built on transfers. Shaka was very fortunate to land Morsell, Kurath, Kolek, and Prosper in the pre-NIL era.  If these players were hitting the market today, they'd no doubt be entertaining the same type of NIL deals that Bates and Gueye and Washington got this year.  It's one thing for Shaka to say "we're not playing that game" when his roster was mostly built on with first recruiting class and 5-year COVID eligibility. 

Without those four transfers, we probably don't make the 2022 tournament, and probably not competitive for 1st in the Big East this year.  The thing that should raise concerns is that we're not in the market for the future Tyler Kolek, and our competitors are.

Plus, the "not playing the game" ignores the fact that the same changes are rapidly coming to HS recruiting.  19 states already allow HS players to sign NIL deals.  If 26th-ranked Mikey Williams can sign with Memphis and command a multi-million dollar NIL deal while still in HS, I'd really like to know if Shaka backed off #35 JP Estrella and #43 Milan Momocilovic because they really preferred campus life at Tennessee or Iowa State, or whether NIL considerations came into play and MU signaled that they're not a player and withdrew early.

One thing the article didn't touch on is whatever NIL deals may be in place to keep the current players here.  I have no doubt the transfers you mention are making NIL money now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 01:29:58 PM »
TAMU

It will balance out when teams do not see ROI from the NIL money. It has a run for programs to buy a team, but more will fail than succeed, imo.

I think you’re correct.  There’s a lot of hand-wringing about buying teams but it’ll be a lot like teams that were built with a one and done model.  Some will definitely find success, some won’t.

That’s my feeling on the portal, too.  New coaches can build a footing with it, some coaches will build around the edges with it but those reliant on it year in and year out will struggle
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 01:44:56 PM »
Quote from: TAMU, Knower of Ball link=topic=64245.msg1518542#msg1518542 date=
I think it will work moving forward. I personally believe that the NIL market is a bit crazy at the moment with the market way overpaying for talent. I think that they will come back down to earth in time a schools that already have a sustainable system set up will be ahead of the curve.

I am not as optimistic as you on this point. 

Over the next several years there is going to be more, not less, money in college sports.  To suggest the NIL market is overpaying today implies that not only will none of that additional money find its way to players, players should actually expect a smaller piece of that growing pie.  I don't think that's realistic.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 02:01:36 PM »
If more money comes in via TV deals, I could see the dollars going up but the pie getting a little smaller. There will be some people willing to throw crazy dollars in the future. However, I feel there will be more focus on ROI.

I look at Dawson Garcia for example. I’m guessing the person putting out cash for him might take a second thought on the next one. Also, it will be interesting to see how much of the promised money materializes.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 02:04:04 PM »

Over the next several years there is going to be more, not less, money in college sports.  To suggest the NIL market is overpaying today implies that not only will none of that additional money find its way to players, players should actually expect a smaller piece of that growing pie.  I don't think that's realistic.

Completely agree. There are plenty of well heeled alums at power schools that have plenty of resources. The horse is out of the barn.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2023, 02:08:56 PM »

The current NIL money is not the same as TV money.  The TV money will no doubt grow, but boosters might become more frugal when they don't see the results they desire. A few high price busts will eventually get them to tighten their belts.

If college athletes are deemed employees, then they will start to get some of that media money.  There is an ongoing court case which may do just that. Then they can capture some of that growth.

If the NCAA was smart, they would get out in front of this and set up the parameters for compensation.  But the NCAA is still stuck in the past, clinging to the idea amateurism.  So we're left to wait for the legal process to play out.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2023, 02:10:10 PM »
The problem is that people are conflating MU's current success using players recruited in the pre-NIL era and projecting that to continue.

The past two years of MU's success have arguably been built on transfers. Shaka was very fortunate to land Morsell, Kurath, Kolek, and Prosper in the pre-NIL era.  If these players were hitting the market today, they'd no doubt be entertaining the same type of NIL deals that Bates and Gueye and Washington got this year.  It's one thing for Shaka to say "we're not playing that game" when his roster was mostly built on with first recruiting class and 5-year COVID eligibility. 

Without those four transfers, we probably don't make the 2022 tournament, and probably not competitive for 1st in the Big East this year.  The thing that should raise concerns is that we're not in the market for the future Tyler Kolek, and our competitors are.

Plus, the "not playing the game" ignores the fact that the same changes are rapidly coming to HS recruiting.  19 states already allow HS players to sign NIL deals.  If 26th-ranked Mikey Williams can sign with Memphis and command a multi-million dollar NIL deal while still in HS, I'd really like to know if Shaka backed off #35 JP Estrella and #43 Milan Momocilovic because they really preferred campus life at Tennessee or Iowa State, or whether NIL considerations came into play and MU signaled that they're not a player and withdrew early.

Sounds like you've never been to Ames.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »

I think there will be more overall money (but there will always be more overall money in the future). I think there will be less in the NIL market. NIL is donor driven and as others have said, I don't believe donors will continue to write blank checks forever unless they are seeing results on the court. Logic dictates that not every team can see increased results on the court. I could be wrong but these are the consistent sentiments I'm hearing from people with connections to athletics and to the levels of donors who can afford to buy teams.
TAMU

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2023, 02:28:42 PM »
Quote from: cheebs09 link=topic=64245.msg1518569#msg1518569 date=
If more money comes in via TV deals, I could see the dollars going up but the pie getting a little smaller. There will be some people willing to throw crazy dollars in the future. However, I feel there will be more focus on ROI.

I look at Dawson Garcia for example. I’m guessing the person putting out cash for him might take a second thought on the next one. Also, it will be interesting to see how much of the promised money materializes.

Are you suggesting that UNC players from here on out won't earn much NIL because Dawson Garcia's performance was
a disappointment?   

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2023, 02:33:58 PM »
Are you suggesting that UNC players from here on out won't earn much NIL because Dawson Garcia's performance was
a disappointment?

I think it’s possible. I’m sure the top 15 recruits will still get paid well since that’s a pretty sure bet. I don’t think the transfers that profile to be the 8th guy off the bench will be getting the million dollar potential deals (or whatever crazy number Dawson was quoted at) that we have seen in some cases to start out.

The dollar value may go up as TAMU said, but that’s a function of inflation. I’m sure that donor or others would think harder about paying money for a recruit. Especially if it’s businesses using a marketing budget that have bottom lines to worry about.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2023, 03:50:22 PM »
Quote from: cheebs09 link=topic=64245.msg1518588#msg1518588 date=
I think it’s possible. I’m sure the top 15 recruits will still get paid well since that’s a pretty sure bet. I don’t think the transfers that profile to be the 8th guy off the bench will be getting the million dollar potential deals (or whatever crazy number Dawson was quoted at) that we have seen in some cases to start out.

Come on, this is a straw man argument.  Nobody's talking about big NIL deals for the 8th guy off the bench.  We're talking about starters or maybe a key reserve--the 1st or 2nd off the bench.

Quote from: cheebs09 link=topic=64245.msg1518588#msg1518588 date=
The dollar value may go up as TAMU said, but that’s a function of inflation. I’m sure that donor or others would think harder about paying money for a recruit. Especially if it’s businesses using a marketing budget that have bottom lines to worry about.

We're only a year into a process that players and their lawyers spent decades trying to make happen. I don't believe for a second that the spending has already peaked and is now on the decline. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2023, 04:14:46 PM »
Yeah, we're effed.  Drop the program down to D3.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2023, 05:10:12 PM »

The way I read/interpreted Shaka's comments is that he's willing to use NIL for a HS player to come to Marquette and possibly even increase over the player's career while here. He may use some NIL money to also bring in a less-heralded transfer. He WON'T get into the bidding war over grad transfers or players just looking for $$$ cause he wants the culture to be prominent.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2023, 09:08:36 PM »
TAMU

Yes, just like any supply/ demand and once crazy money crashes it will stabilize.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2023, 09:12:18 PM »
a disappointment?
You're not even factoring football which will be bigger at many schools. NIL for basketball will come back to earth.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2023, 08:08:22 AM »
Quote from: Newsdreams link=topic=64245.msg1518757#msg1518757 date=
You're not even factoring football which will be bigger at many schools. NIL for basketball will come back to earth.

We've had exactly one recruiting cycle with NIL influence allowed so far. There's zero chance that it's matured and peaked by this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2023, 09:33:15 AM »
We've had exactly one recruiting cycle with NIL influence allowed so far. There's zero chance that it's matured and peaked by this point.

Matured no. Peaked probably no. But I do think it will peak within the next decade. And that's not to say that there won't be massive NIL deals in the future. I just think it will settle into the old model of blue bloods having the most, other high majors having some, and the mid-majors having few and far between. Right now, almost everyone is trying to buy a team.
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2023, 09:58:33 AM »
Completely agree. There are plenty of well heeled alums at power schools that have plenty of resources. The horse is out of the barn.

Agreed other schools have plenty of well heeled alums, but these are smart people.  They literally get zero ROI for their companies with this.  Giving away hundreds of thousand dollars/millions of dollars every year for their “toy” basketball team is different than once every 10 years to buy out a crappy coach’s contract.  I just can’t see smart people spending millions on essentially nothing.  They might as well wipe their ass with it.   

These funds are going to have to be paid out of something more sustainable like  an  NIL endowment fund that has so much initial cash investment that the interest can pay a reasonable amount to the top players yearly without constantly going back to the alums for more cash.

I hope MUs alums have our fund up to at least $50 million shortly so we can maintain competitiveness in the market.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2023, 02:15:51 PM »
I wrote will, future tense.

feedback