[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Daniel
[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Excellent Shaka Smart Press Conference National Marquette Day  (Read 4315 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Daniel

• All American
Re: Excellent Shaka Smart Press Conference National Marquette Day
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 09:59:25 AM »
It is such a pleasure to hear Shaka talk basketball, Marquette, about the players, strategies and so on that I just want his pressers to last longer.  Always disappointed when he gets up to leave.  Lol. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 10:13:13 AM »
It is such a pleasure to hear Shaka talk basketball, Marquette, about the players, strategies and so on that I just want his pressers to last longer.  Always disappointed when he gets up to leave.  Lol.
The analysis of yesterdays game and the players was excellent . Shaka on top of everything .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »
Great insight on Stevie by Shaka. 

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 04:02:17 PM »
Special.  Shame of it is so many fans won't care about this stuff - the important stuff, the minute they lose a few

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 04:05:59 PM »
His comments on Miss. St., Nova, and Butler switching on everything and bothering MU is interesting.  That seems like it should be an easy fix

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 04:45:11 PM »
His comments on Miss. St., Nova, and Butler switching on everything and bothering MU is interesting.  That seems like it should be an easy fix
That's what they said about my golf slice.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 04:55:17 PM »

The problem is that not only are teams switching, but they are packing in the lane. So you have trouble posting up Oso in a mismatch and your guards can't get in the lane as easy.  I said this in tower's post game topic, but teams are by and large sagging off of everyone but Kam and Jop.  Gotta make them pay from the oustide.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 05:15:16 PM »

The problem is that not only are teams switching, but they are packing in the lane. So you have trouble posting up Oso in a mismatch and your guards can't get in the lane as easy.  I said this in tower's post game topic, but teams are by and large sagging off of everyone but Kam and Jop.  Gotta make them pay from the oustide.
I didn't see it that way.  I didn't see Oso dealing with doubles.  He just played a sh1t game.  Switching keeps guys out of the lane...but they should be able to capitalize on mismatches.  I think they'll have the issue fixed in short order.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 05:30:04 PM »
I didn't see it that way.  I didn't see Oso dealing with doubles.  He just played a sh1t game.  Switching keeps guys out of the lane...but they should be able to capitalize on mismatches.  I think they'll have the issue fixed in short order.

Totally agree. Oso’s head wasn’t in the game from the start -turnover after turnover. Sultan’s “take” is absurd.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 05:32:15 PM »
Totally agree. Oso’s head wasn’t in the game from the start -turnover after turnover. Sultan’s “take” is absurd.

Oh look. Someone's butthurt again. Perhaps reading what I wrote would be helpful.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:35:00 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 05:34:29 PM »

I didn't say he was doubled. With people in the lane, its harder to make entry passes. And when he gets the ball, they are playing his spin to the baseline because help would come.

Regardless, they are packing in the lane more.  Tyler and Kam aren't getting the number layups they were earlier.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 05:35:22 PM »
Note that Shaka cancelled practice Thursday to rest up. The team had one day prep for Butler after Nova.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 05:51:09 PM »
Note that Shaka cancelled practice Thursday to rest up. The team had one day prep for Butler after Nova.

Well given how sloppy they played that proved not a good decision.  So if that’s the excuse for yesterday’s performance, it’s a poor one. 

Not to mention they had played just twice in the previous 11 days when skipping Thursday practice.  Hardly a grueling stretch. They needed to “rest up”? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2023, 05:52:33 PM »
Yeah they’re definitely defending Oso differently. I feel like we haven’t run a lot of plays to get Joplin open on on the perimeter. I’d like to see that. Even something for Kam. Both seem to get their looks just from Kolek breaking down the defense. Would like to see them coming off screens more. Maybe run the Giannis handoff at the top of the key to Kam with Oso playing the Giannis roll. If the big sags and Oso sets a good screen, the 3 is open. If the big hedges, Oso is open on the roll. Put Jop in the weak side corner where the help on Oso’s roll comes from, and Kam can hit the skip pass to the corner.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2023, 06:03:45 PM »
I didn't say he was doubled. With people in the lane, its harder to make entry passes. And when he gets the ball, they are playing his spin to the baseline because help would come.

Regardless, they are packing in the lane more.  Tyler and Kam aren't getting the number layups they were earlier.
Oso rarely does his damage through a traditional post feed.   Saging off the wings to deny an entry pass without doubling is also an interesting take.

If it were that simple they would put Oso and Kam or Jop weakside and go to town. 

If they wanted to sag off MU they'd be going under screens rather than switching. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2023, 06:16:33 PM »
Yeah they’re definitely defending Oso differently. I feel like we haven’t run a lot of plays to get Joplin open on on the perimeter. I’d like to see that. Even something for Kam. Both seem to get their looks just from Kolek breaking down the defense. Would like to see them coming off screens more. Maybe run the Giannis handoff at the top of the key to Kam with Oso playing the Giannis roll. If the big sags and Oso sets a good screen, the 3 is open. If the big hedges, Oso is open on the roll. Put Jop in the weak side corner where the help on Oso’s roll comes from, and Kam can hit the skip pass to the corner.
My take is Oso has struggled with smaller, quicker, but yet strong defenders.  That said...he missed a lot of shots against Butler that he is normally going to make.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2023, 06:17:25 PM »
Oh look. Someone's butthurt again. Perhaps reading what I wrote would be helpful.

I did, and your take was absurd.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2023, 06:25:50 PM »
Oso rarely does his damage through a traditional post feed.   Saging off the wings to deny an entry pass without doubling is also an interesting take.

Yet again, something I never said.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2023, 07:56:04 PM »
Yet again, something I never said.
You said "with people in the lane, it makes it harder to make entry passes."  Again...MU hasn't gotten paint touches by making entry passes...but keep arguing. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2023, 08:08:42 PM »
My take is Oso has struggled with smaller, quicker, but yet strong defenders.  That said...he missed a lot of shots against Butler that he is normally going to make.

Agreed. OMax is the same way. If OMax can use his first step to get by his defender, he can be tough to stop. But when the defender is able to take the straight line drive away, he struggles and gets into no man’s land sometimes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2023, 08:12:12 PM »
You said "with people in the lane, it makes it harder to make entry passes."  Again...MU hasn't gotten paint touches by making entry passes...but keep arguing. 

They literally passed the ball into Oso multiple times yesterday. They specifically ran plays out of a timeout to get him the ball at least once. It’s not a huge part of the offense no doubt but stop acting like it’s not part of the game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 08:19:49 PM »
Sultan's right about the way other teams are crowding the interior. Butler would leave a third man on the strong side to gum up the side PNR that TK and Oso love to run. Essentially daring MU to make a quick reversal and hit a three.

On that note I really need Jop to be ready to shoot when the ball gets to him. The ball fake, meandering drive into some sort of contested shot is just a killer. He didn't do any of that crap against DePaul. Came out ready to fire and didn't think twice.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 07:14:26 PM »

They literally passed the ball into Oso multiple times yesterday. They specifically ran plays out of a timeout to get him the ball at least once. It’s not a huge part of the offense no doubt but stop acting like it’s not part of the game.
You're nuts.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2023, 02:49:53 PM »
Every player not pictured = gowne.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2023, 05:09:15 PM »
Every player not pictured = gowne.

I see Kolek, Stevie, Kam, OMax, Oso, Jop, Gold, Sean, Chase.  So that checks out.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2023, 05:13:01 PM »
I see Kolek, Stevie, Kam, OMax, Oso, Jop, Gold, Sean, Chase.  So that checks out.

Crisis averted.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2023, 05:15:50 PM »

No Tre, Zaide, or Al?

Oh no was there a fallout?
VIOLENCE!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2023, 10:25:04 AM »
No Tre, Zaide, or Al?

Oh no was there a fallout?

Their high school teachers must not have let them out of class.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2023, 11:10:28 AM »
Their high school teachers must not have let them out of class.

Add high school teachers to the list of people who hate Marquette basketball.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback