[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gimme F'ing Butler  (Read 5655 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Gimme F'ing Butler
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2023, 06:37:44 PM »
It was fine. Have had worse. But a fun thing to add to the festivities. Can't say I'd rush out to buy a four pack.

This summarizes my feelings as well
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2023, 06:50:26 PM »
Worst thing to happen was going up 16-3.  They lost all focus after that.  Fortunately, the defense , errr Stevie, stepped up at the end.

Weird game. Even the crowd lost energy  after the big lead it seemed, until the end.

Thought it would have looked cool if the whole crowd was waving the towels. Apparently instructions were needed and the game didn’t generate that kind of energy. Let down of a game in some ways, but the build up and start were good, and most importantly win and move on.

Hopefully this is just a bit of a lull offensively that we will snap out of rather than a trend. A lot of buckets that went in and out-even layups.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2023, 06:59:09 PM »
Weird game. Even the crowd lost energy  after the big lead it seemed, until the end.

Thought it would have looked cool if the whole crowd was waving the towels. Apparently instructions were needed and the game didn’t generate that kind of energy. Let down of a game in some ways, but the build up and start were good, and most importantly win and move on.

Hopefully this is just a bit of a lull offensively that we will snap out of rather than a trend. A lot of buckets that went in and out-even layups.

First game I’ve been to in 3 years. Just no flow at all yet it still felt like Marquette was never in danger. It was definitely a hard game to get into.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2023, 12:49:51 AM »
In the arena it looked like guys were just dead.  Looked like they were trying hard, but their bodies were just fatigued.  A lot of hands on knees, short minutes, frequent subbing.

That time of year, finding ways to win when your not at your best is important and Marquette did that twice this week.
VIOLENCE!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2023, 06:56:27 AM »
Defenses are switching every screen and packing it in the lane to restrict offensive flow. Gotta hit shots to loosen them up. This isn’t Marta’s first rodeo either.  He had a plan and they executed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2023, 06:56:43 AM »
When Gold plays 19 mins when he’s only been getting 3-5 mins recently, you’ve gotta think there were other motives other than beating the metrics behind this decision… I was particularly interested in the lineup where Shaka had  Gold, Omax, and Oso all out there at once.   Playing around with lineups can cause a little disruption in the matrix us fans have gotten used to this year. 

I don’t think Shaka ever thought it was in doubt either… from the minute he and the coaches game planned this one. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 07:00:39 AM by noblewarrior »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2023, 09:03:44 AM »
In the arena it looked like guys were just dead.  Looked like they were trying hard, but their bodies were just fatigued.  A lot of hands on knees, short minutes, frequent subbing.

That time of year, finding ways to win when your not at your best is important and Marquette did that twice this week.

That doesn’t bode well for Tuesday, quick turnaround.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2023, 09:25:49 AM »
That doesn’t bode well for Tuesday, quick turnaround.

OMax in particular looked to be having a very hard time catching his breath.  They'll be alright.  Just getting into the grind of the season that everyone is going through.

It is really hard to win when you aren't playing to your potential and they found a way to win both games in a fairly ugly fashion.  That's a great sign that they can scrap out wins even when they aren't scoring 80 or 90.
VIOLENCE!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2023, 09:39:48 AM »
OMax in particular looked to be having a very hard time catching his breath.  They'll be alright.  Just getting into the grind of the season that everyone is going through.

It is really hard to win when you aren't playing to your potential and they found a way to win both games in a fairly ugly fashion.  That's a great sign that they can scrap out wins even when they aren't scoring 80 or 90.

When the opponent is Butler on your home court, scrapping out a win is not that impressive.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2023, 09:52:19 AM »
A friend compared yesterday to the Chicago State game, and I think it's a decent comparison. Some first half struggles, but had a run that gave us a comfortable enough halftime lead. Then got up big in the second half before a lackluster finish that left the final result not as decisive as our overall game control would indicate. Yesterday was never really in doubt, but it also wasn't the thumping it should've been.

Three days after that mediocre Chicago State effort, we had a pretty good result. Let's hope three days after Butler we have something similar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2023, 10:00:19 AM »
Just getting into the grind of the season that everyone is going through.

As Shaka said at his press conference: "This is the most challenging time -- early-, mid-, late-February -- to find within you the clarity to go play with absolute purpose, and that's because it's a long year."

He had all the Februaries covered!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »
A friend compared yesterday to the Chicago State game, and I think it's a decent comparison. Some first half struggles, but had a run that gave us a comfortable enough halftime lead. Then got up big in the second half before a lackluster finish that left the final result not as decisive as our overall game control would indicate. Yesterday was never really in doubt, but it also wasn't the thumping it should've been.

Three days after that mediocre Chicago State effort, we had a pretty good result. Let's hope three days after Butler we have something similar.

Honestly the Nova game was closer to the Chicago State game than the Butler game was. We played worse against Chicago State than we did in either of the last two games.

Its just that because of offense has been so good, and no fans are used to liking defensive basketball.

Reverse the Adjusted efficiency's from the Butler game and applying them to Chicago state, would be a 67.6-51.3 Win for Marquette over Chicago St. That's a 2.3 point better result.

Using Bartorvik MU's game score yesterday was 91. That is equal to the Depaul game and the Notre Dame game. That is higher than both nova games, the Georgetown game, the St Johns game, both conference losses, and every single nonconference game except three Baylor, Georgia Tech, and Purdue.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2023, 10:50:17 AM »
As Shaka said at his press conference: "This is the most challenging time -- early-, mid-, late-February -- to find within you the clarity to go play with absolute purpose, and that's because it's a long year."

He had all the Februaries covered!

Now you're stealin' Rico's material?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2023, 10:55:00 AM »
Butler fan moved to top of my most disliked conference foe. Drunk. Loud. Obnoxious. Clueless.

Older MU dude in Sec 118 was ready to throw down with two Butler drunks. Yelling SHUTUP multiple times at the top of his lungs.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2023, 11:20:13 AM »

Yep. UCONN didn't impress that much in DC, so neither team should brag too loudly about their win. Just a guess on my part, but I think Hurley shares some of the same in-game coaching problems Neptune and Ewing do, but superior talent bails him out. Not expecting a win. but it would not surprise me if we take UCONN down.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2023, 12:24:55 PM »
Now you're stealin' Rico's material?

Did Unk also pull that unintentionally humorous quote from Shaka? If so, I missed it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2023, 12:47:25 PM »
I watched the game off my DVR in the evening yesterday and I thought outside of some missed layups, some missed Kam free throws, and Oso's uncharacteristic bad passing day, they didn't play that bad.  It probably helps when you already know the outcome, but they did lead the entire game and win by 8.  What does stand out to me is that it seems like teams, unable to match up talent wise,  are playing bully ball with us.   BUtler, Providence, Xavier, etc, these teams are not necessarily taller than MU but seemingly outweigh them at every position.       
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 09:28:56 PM by Autoengineer »

feedback