[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek/Oso/OMax/Kam  (Read 1756 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Kolek/Oso/OMax/Kam
« on: January 30, 2023, 08:17:52 AM »
I'm perhaps biased but I think TyKo is the POY in the BEast thus far.  As far as the rest of the quartet. at worst all three will be on the 2nd and 3rd teams.  Lastly, I believe TyKo should get serious consideration for the national A-A teams. We're a team with multiple weapons and tremendous cohesion with Kolek conducting the symphony.  He makes us go and when you add his ability to now convert buckets in the paint, it changes the entire geometry of our offense.  It is why we are so dangerous, shredding teams, and have increased our spurtability exponentially from last year.   Keep the pedal to the metal and continue eviscerating those in our path. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:28:30 AM by MuggsyB »

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Kolek/Oso/OMax/Kam
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 08:58:17 AM »
TyKo is great.

There is a pretty loaded/balanced field for the all BE spots this season.

Bryce Hopkins and Souley Boum likely lead the PoY convos.

Then there is
Sanogo, Hawkins, Nunge, Freemantle, Colby Jones, Kam Jones, Oso, Kalkbrenner, Croswell, Daniels, Dixon, Soriano, Gibson, Spears.

Of the bottom tiered teams I think Soriano is the only one that has a shot at first team. I left guys like OMax and as Schierman off the list, don’t think they’ve done enough.

At this point in the season I’d go with Bryce Hopkins as BE PoY and Boum, Sanogo, Freemantle, Kalkbrenner, and Kolek joining the first team.

Kalkbrenner has missed games but there is still a lot of ball to play so it’ll work itself out.

From a Marquette standpoint, someone is sure to make the 1st team if they continue this trajectory, possibly 2 if they can win conference but I’d say that’s an outside shot.
Another 2-3 guys will make the second team or honorable mention.

Then, we could/should see 3/4 on the all BE preseason teams for next year

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:13:43 AM »
TyKo is great.

Then there is
Sanogo, Hawkins, Nunge, Freemantle, Colby Jones, Kam Jones, Oso, Kalkbrenner, Croswell, Daniels, Dixon, Soriano, Gibson, Spears.

Of the bottom tiered teams I think Soriano is the only one that has a shot at first team. I left guys like OMax and as Schierman off the list, don’t think they’ve done enough.

At this point in the season I’d go with Bryce Hopkins as BE PoY and Boum, Sanogo, Freemantle, Kalkbrenner, and Kolek joining the first team.

Kalkbrenner has missed games but there is still a lot of ball to play so it’ll work itself out.

From a Marquette standpoint, someone is sure to make the 1st team if they continue this trajectory, possibly 2 if they can win conference but I’d say that’s an outside shot.

Souley has had some down games lately. I'm sure due in part to teams keying on him. Agree Hopkins is probably the leader for POY at this point. Soriano has a strong case, but St. John's' team performance won't help. Agree Kolek deserves consideration and still has a shot to earn POY. Should be first-team All Big East for sure. I would think Kam and/or Oso should warrant strong second team consideration.

Jop should have a good shot at 6th man of the year if they still award that.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:15:40 AM »
Who wins Big East most improved player? Kolek, Kam, or Oso? It’s gotta be one of them

I’ll say Oso
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:17:34 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 09:21:52 AM »
I'm perhaps biased but I think TyKo is the POY in the BEast thus far.  As far as the rest of the quartet. at worst all three will be on the 2nd and 3rd teams.  Lastly, I believe TyKo should get serious consideration for the national A-A teams. We're a team with multiple weapons and tremendous cohesion with Kolek conducting the symphony.  He makes us go and when you add his ability to now convert buckets in the paint, it changes the entire geometry of our offense.  It is why we are so dangerous, shredding teams, and have increased our spurtability exponentially from last year.   Keep the pedal to the metal and continue eviscerating those in our path.

The Big East doesn't have a third team. I think TyKo ends up on the first team and Kam and Oso both end up on the second team. I think OMax could get an honorable mention but being the fourth guy may result in him losing out to some of the lower team's first and second guys.

I think the All-Freshman team is an interesting convo too. I think Chase Ross is a shoe in and Sean Jones may be able to crack it with a strong finish to the season. Right now I would have it:

Cam Whitmore
Donovan Clingan
Alex Karaban
Chase Ross
Mark Armstrong
AJ Storr

I think Fredrick King is probably the next guy on the list but Sean could be the guy after him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 09:22:58 AM »
Inside the Big East on Fox Sports listed Bryce, Souley, Tyko, and Sanogo as their top favorites. I believe they keyed in on Bryce and Souley; however.

TyKo is great.

Then there is

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 09:23:15 AM »
Who wins Big East most improved player? Kolek, Kam, or Oso? It’s gotta be one of them

I’ll say Oso

Good question.  I'd probably vote Oso. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 09:38:28 AM »
I think Like and Oak should be first team BE with Man on the second team and IMAX on the third.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 09:41:08 AM »
Oso is our one indispensable player IMHO. We'd have a big falloff from Kolek to Stevie/Sean for sure ... but "big" doesn't even describe the falloff from Oso to Gold or whatever combo of players Shaka would have to cobble together to replace him, and let's hope like hell we never have to find out. He is the most unique player in the conference, and one of its most efficient, and he's very valuable on both ends of the floor. Add in his abilities to play a ton of minutes and to stay out of foul trouble, and that's quite a package.

Whatever postseason honors that might lead to for Oso, I don't know, because he doesn't have big numbers in any category. As an outstanding PG for a first-place team, Kolek is more "visible," as he has the ball in his hands all the time and he's among national leaders in a major statistic. He's the engine of our smooth-running vehicle. Thank goodness we have him, too!

I hope both Tyler and Oso make All-BEast teams and get the national recognition they deserve.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 09:42:30 AM »
Inside the Big East on Fox Sports listed Bryce, Souley, Tyko, and Sanogo as their top favorites. I believe they keyed in on Bryce and Souley; however.

TyKo's value goes beyond the obvious stats.  Just my take. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 09:49:04 AM »
I think Like and Oak should be first team BE with Man on the second team and IMAX on the third.
What the hell is this?

CrowdOf5

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »
100% agree, he could absolutely win it. Give me Kolek over either of those guys every day.

TyKo's value goes beyond the obvious stats.  Just my take.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 10:00:02 AM »
There is a long way to go, since BE play is barely past halfway mark.

As of now, I see Hopkins, Boum, Kolek and Soriano ( he's at 16/12 now) as locks.  Last two spots up for grabs.

Oso has to be Most improved player.

If MU wins regular BE title and Kolek continues this pace, he will be favorite for POY, as well as Hopkins if PC wins, B out if X wins, etc. Winning team guy gets it. 

Too many games left, but let's not forget coach of year.  Shaka over Miller at this point.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 10:08:53 AM »
Oso is our one indispensable player IMHO. We'd have a big falloff from Kolek to Stevie/Sean for sure ... but "big" doesn't even describe the falloff from Oso to Gold or whatever combo of players Shaka would have to cobble together to replace him, and let's hope like hell we never have to find out. He is the most unique player in the conference, and one of its most efficient, and he's very valuable on both ends of the floor. Add in his abilities to play a ton of minutes and to stay out of foul trouble, and that's quite a package.

Whatever postseason honors that might lead to for Oso, I don't know, because he doesn't have big numbers in any category. As an outstanding PG for a first-place team, Kolek is more "visible," as he has the ball in his hands all the time and he's among national leaders in a major statistic. He's the engine of our smooth-running vehicle. Thank goodness we have him, too!

I hope both Tyler and Oso make All-BEast teams and get the national recognition they deserve.

It's a coin toss between Oso and TyKo.  I suspect you'd see Oso's production fall off quite a bit if TyKo weren't the PG, as would the rest of the team's production.  TyKo is the Number 1 focus of the scouting reports by the opposition according to Shaka.

We are Number 1 nationally on Offense and Kolek is the reason why.  Our Defense isn't great, and it would be much worse without Oso.  So there's the rub.

That all being said, I'd vote Kolek as most indispensable.  Sure Sean and Stevie could play PG in his absence - someone would have to.  However, the times Kolek has been off the floor this season, we've generally looked pretty average to horrific on O.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 10:11:05 AM »

English translation?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 10:47:08 AM »
English translation?

Day drinking is good

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 10:49:52 AM »
Day drinking is good
Give him a break guys, he's a Delta Sig.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 12:05:39 PM »
It's a coin toss between Oso and TyKo.  I suspect you'd see Oso's production fall off quite a bit if TyKo weren't the PG, as would the rest of the team's production.  TyKo is the Number 1 focus of the scouting reports by the opposition according to Shaka.

We are Number 1 nationally on Offense and Kolek is the reason why.  Our Defense isn't great, and it would be much worse without Oso.  So there's the rub.

That all being said, I'd vote Kolek as most indispensable.  Sure Sean and Stevie could play PG in his absence - someone would have to.  However, the times Kolek has been off the floor this season, we've generally looked pretty average to horrific on O.

Reasonable take, and it's a fun conversation for fans to have.

Glad we have (as my South Side father-in-law likes to say) da boata dem.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson