[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why was Oso comforting Gold after the game.  (Read 8086 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Why was Oso comforting Gold after the game.
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2023, 04:57:49 PM »
So the positives = Ben needs to play more.  But the negatives = too small of a sample size to take anything away from it.

I think Shaka's playing the right players.  The results speak for themselves.

Ben should be a solid player for us down the road.  He's also a freshman getting not many minutes.  He isn't the first.  He won't be the last.  He's far away from home.  But he'll be far away from home anywhere he goes in the USA.  If he isn't happy, he should move on.  Yes it would stink for MU.  But the transition was never going to be easy, and if he'd be more happy elsewhere then he should be happy.

American Samoa isn't that far from home. Idk how their basketball program is though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 05:00:48 PM »
Now talk about his dr%
Jop's FT% is the only number that really matters. Coach Smart recognizes this, thus Jop's minutes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 05:02:46 PM by TSmith34, No'er of Bawl »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2023, 05:26:05 PM »
Why doesn't Ben play more? 2nd to last on the team in DR% next to 5'8" Sean Jones and last on the team in Turnover Rate (stone hands).  Oh, and is last in Offensive Efficiency as result (89).

Let's look at BPR from Evan Miya. 2nd to last. Ben is going to get minutes as these upcoming games should be easier but what he has been doing well (shooting threes), we get elsewhere. Shaka needs some muscle to spell Oso, especially with foul trouble. 

https://evanmiya.com/

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
I'm really pulling for Ben to start to get a feel for the pace and put more of an imprint on games. The problem is that he's playing smaller than his height. He can't rebound and we need him for that. He does seem quite mobile compared to some guys his size, and he's shown a decent touch from outside too. I'd like to see him paired with Oso and keep Stevie on the bench for a bigger lineup sometimes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 06:10:56 PM »
IMHO, Gold should play exactly much as the coach believes Gold has earned the right to play for a team that the coach has guided to the #1 kenpom offense and #8 overall kenpom ranking.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 06:22:50 PM »
Why doesn't Ben play more? 2nd to last on the team in DR% next to 5'8" Sean Jones and last on the team in Turnover Rate (stone hands).  Oh, and is last in Offensive Efficiency as result (89).

Let's look at BPR from Evan Miya. 2nd to last. Ben is going to get minutes as these upcoming games should be easier but what he has been doing well (shooting threes), we get elsewhere. Shaka needs some muscle to spell Oso, especially with foul trouble. 

https://evanmiya.com/
No per Ners, Shaka don't know ball. Ball have you met Shaka?
Goal is National Championship

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2023, 06:37:58 PM »
IMHO, Gold should play exactly much as the coach believes Gold has earned the right to play for a team that the coach has guided to the #1 kenpom offense and #8 overall kenpom ranking.

You pretty much hated on Shaka the whole time Wojo was our coach - while fully on board the Wojo hype train.  So, I do appreciate your 180 and recognizing Shaka is a great coach.

I've been a massive Shaka fan since his hire.  You've posted here that "it's okay to criticize Shaka."  So, I make an observation/opinion that I feel Gold should get more PT (in place of Joplin), and you Newstool get your undies in a bunch. 

I've posted here this past week, if our biggest issue in the program is who should play more between two great young prospects in Gold and Joplin, we are in great shape.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2023, 07:06:26 PM »
You pretty much hated on Shaka the whole time Wojo was our coach - while fully on board the Wojo hype train.  So, I do appreciate your 180 and recognizing Shaka is a great coach.

I've been a massive Shaka fan since his hire.  You've posted here that "it's okay to criticize Shaka."  So, I make an observation/opinion that I feel Gold should get more PT (in place of Joplin), and you Newstool get your undies in a bunch. 

I've posted here this past week, if our biggest issue in the program is who should play more between two great young prospects in Gold and Joplin, we are in great shape.

Last I checked, my undies were bunchless and fitting me quite comfortably; we simply have a difference of opinion. I firmly believe it's OK to criticize Shaka and I have done so this season and last. And others were free to disagree with me.

On this particular subject, I choose to trust that our very qualified and highly regarded coach knows more about Ben Gold's readiness to play than those who post on fanboards are. You obviously disagree, and you feel you are more qualified than he is on this subject because of the hours you have spent watching Gold and Joplin at practice.

We definitely agree on your last paragraph, though.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2023, 08:02:22 PM »
Last I checked, my undies were bunchless and fitting me quite comfortably; we simply have a difference of opinion. I firmly believe it's OK to criticize Shaka and I have done so this season and last. And others were free to disagree with me.

On this particular subject, I choose to trust that our very qualified and highly regarded coach knows more about Ben Gold's readiness to play than those who post on fanboards are. You obviously disagree, and you feel you are more qualified than he is on this subject because of the hours you have spent watching Gold and Joplin at practice.

We definitely agree on your last paragraph, though.

Just to be clear, Mike - your point is that when anybody, including yourself, criticizes Shaka it’s because he/she feels that he/she is more qualified and knows more in the area of criticism than our very qualified and highly regarded coach. N’est pas?

82fanatic

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2023, 08:52:49 PM »
Mu82, newsdreams,elonmusk,  thanks for posting your thoughts and opinions.  I love reading the posts.  But please let past transgression remain past!  Quit attacking each other and adding snarky comments trying to degrade one another.  It makes others afraid to post their opinions, and generally feel uncomfortable.  Are we grade schoolers?   If you feel the need to attack, do it in PM. 

We are all Marquette BB fans.   We may not be all BB savants, but we may have opinions.  It’s great to experience the debates, but not the petty infighting.  Attack the opinion with logic and supporting facts, not with personal attacks.  I recently asked the same thing of Dodds on his board after he attacked someone…..

Ok, ok, dismounting from up here. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions.  I really enjoy the debates

I hope this years trip to the final four is more enjoyable than the last one!

PS:  non of the above applies to nolonger! 

Badgers suck!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2023, 09:27:43 PM »
Just to be clear, Mike - your point is that when anybody, including yourself, criticizes Shaka it’s because he/she feels that he/she is more qualified and knows more in the area of criticism than our very qualified and highly regarded coach. N’est pas?

Nope.

A personnel decision — in which the coach actually knows who his players are and what they’re capable of giving to the team because he sees them every day in practice — is significantly different from, say, talking about strategy re fouling up 3.

There is no way any of us can know if Ben Gold is capable of consistently performing to a level Shaka considers to be adequate.

That’s my opinion, anyway. It’s ok if others disagree.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2023, 10:12:25 PM »
Mu82, newsdreams,elonmusk,  thanks for posting your thoughts and opinions.  I love reading the posts.  But please let past transgression remain past!  Quit attacking each other and adding snarky comments trying to degrade one another.  It makes others afraid to post their opinions, and generally feel uncomfortable.  Are we grade schoolers?   If you feel the need to attack, do it in PM. 

We are all Marquette BB fans.   We may not be all BB savants, but we may have opinions.  It’s great to experience the debates, but not the petty infighting.  Attack the opinion with logic and supporting facts, not with personal attacks.  I recently asked the same thing of Dodds on his board after he attacked someone…..

Ok, ok, dismounting from up here. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions.  I really enjoy the debates

I hope this years trip to the final four is more enjoyable than the last one!

PS:  non of the above applies to nolonger! 

Badgers suck!
You don't know Scoop

82fanatic

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2023, 10:34:26 PM »
You don't know Scoop
😂
Probably read every single post since 2006. 

I know it well! 

82fanatic

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2023, 10:37:36 PM »
You don't know Scoop
Oh, and season ticket holder since 1986. 

And I cried when Rick Mount made that damn shot from the corner!  😂
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:55:58 PM by 82fanatic »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2023, 06:21:01 AM »
Look, Ben will be fine.  He is young and athletic.  But he's a freshman.  Pulling back on his minutes at this point in the season is fine. 

As long as he can get past the distance he is from home he will be starting in two years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2023, 06:22:27 AM »
Exactly. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2023, 07:45:01 AM »
Look, Ben will be fine.  He is young and athletic.  But he's a freshman.  Pulling back on his minutes at this point in the season is fine. 

As long as he can get past the distance he is from home he will be starting in two years.
Exactly

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2023, 07:51:57 AM »
My issue is I think Ben is better than Jop—better shooter, better team defender, better individual defender, more athletic, higher motor, appears to have a higher bb iq but I’m not sold on that one yet, better rebounder maybe. Jop has made some big shots, if Ben had Jops shooter mentality, he’d have made some, too. Jop has also made some terrible TOs and stays in. I’m squarely off the Jop bandwagon, so I fully understand I’m speaking in an extreme. Perhaps Shaka is using this year to really build up Jop (he has shown signs of being capable of improving) so Jop is a major contributor next year. Shaka is far smarter than I am as are more intimately knowledgeable scoopers, so while I’m not a Jop game fan, I am certain my opinion is worth nada. Oh, and play Chase more. He’s better than both.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2023, 08:02:16 AM »
21 Jump

I am very high on Gold and think he might still play a role before this season is over. That being said, Joplin has been a big part of our success and he needs to play. He is going to play a big role next year and I think plays a bit into his playing time. Long term, I am extremely bullish on Gold. I think he will change the offense in a different way than Oso has, but it will be a big part of the offense down the road. Keep the faith on Joplin, IMO he will be a game changing player (for the good) and an important part of team success.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2023, 08:11:37 AM »
My issue is I think Ben is better than Jop—better shooter, better team defender, better individual defender, more athletic, higher motor, appears to have a higher bb iq but I’m not sold on that one yet, better rebounder maybe.

But Gold isn't a better shooter. And he's not even close to being a better rebounder. Sure there may be some defensive upside, but he's getting tossed like a rag doll out there now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2023, 08:54:57 AM »
Thinking that Ben is more athletic then jop.... I have one question. What sport have you been watching?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2023, 09:04:47 AM »
Gold is more athletic.

Joplin is a significantly better shooter, and does it on more difficult shots.  Joplin is a way better rebounder.  And those are the two things that this team needs the most.  They both turn the ball over too much.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2023, 09:15:22 AM »
Gold is more athletic.

Yep. The difference is really striking when they put the ball on the deck. Ben's significantly quicker.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2023, 09:18:17 AM »
Ben is very athletic.  Talks about him playing on the national rugby team or the Olympic track team.  Just like Keeyan.

Patience.   It is a virtue.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2023, 09:21:22 AM »
21 Jump

I am very high on Gold and think he might still play a role before this season is over. That being said, Joplin has been a big part of our success and he needs to play. He is going to play a big role next year and I think plays a bit into his playing time. Long term, I am extremely bullish on Gold. I think he will change the offense in a different way than Oso has, but it will be a big part of the offense down the road. Keep the faith on Joplin, IMO he will be a game changing player (for the good) and an important part of team success.

I’m keeping the faith, Goose, as I pay attention to you and other very knowledgeable posters. I was almost on the bandwagon before last game reading about certain stats and perceptions, but I just couldn’t get there after rewatching last game. I fully realize (and hope) I could be wrong about Jop. I admit, I probably put too much emphasis on team defense, efficiency, and decision making, as in order to win we need to score more. Joplin can score in bunches at times.

feedback