2024 Transfer Portal by MuggsyB
[Today at 08:38:59 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:30:29 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chase Ross story in Milwaukee Journal  (Read 1838 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American

Goose

• All American
Re: Chase Ross story in Milwaukee Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 10:34:12 AM »
I cannot even find the game article in the Sunday paper, let alone the Ross article.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 11:05:26 AM »
Ross article in Saturday paper. Game article "late" for Sunday paper in my e edition.  ::)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »
Late? The Journal is a fxxkin joke and I still buy it every Sunday. One of these days I will learn my lesson and skip that weekly purchase. To boot, they keep raising the price.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 01:00:48 PM »
Ross article in Saturday paper. Game article "late" for Sunday paper in my e edition.  ::)
Unless the game is very early, it never makes the next day e-edition. Even the GB Packer games not starting at noon make the e-edition the next day though the NFL games are covered in the extra USA Today section that comes with the e-edition.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 01:20:18 PM »
WTF is the “e-edition?”  Don’t they just give you access to their website?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 01:21:43 PM »
Unless the game is very early, it never makes the next day e-edition. Even the GB Packer games not starting at noon make the e-edition the next day though the NFL games are covered in the extra USA Today section that comes with the e-edition.

Realize that. Just seems ridiculous to me. I can understand night games, but afternoon games for the local team? Not so much.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 01:23:02 PM »
WTF is the “e-edition?”  Don’t they just give you access to their website?

No. It is an on line copy of the actual newspaper just as the print edition of the WSJ.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 01:39:25 PM »
Realize that. Just seems ridiculous to me. I can understand night games, but afternoon games for the local team? Not so much.
It is weird, but that’s the Gannett influence.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 01:58:07 PM »
No. It is an on line copy of the actual newspaper just as the print edition of the WSJ.

How do you read that? The interface on every e-edition I've read renders it unread-able

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 02:07:02 PM »
Any highlights from this article that someone can share since it’s behind a paywall?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
Any highlights from this article that someone can share since it’s behind a paywall?

Marquette men’s basketball coach Shaka Smart frequently calls freshman guard Chase Ross “a dude,” possibly Smart’s warmest term of affection for a player.

In every game for the Golden Eagles, there seems to be a few plays when the 6-foot-4, 195-pound Ross does something that flashes his star potential. Like his steal and high-flying dunk that tied the game late in the second half against Xavier on Sunday.

“Chase is a very versatile player and he’s a great blend guy from a standpoint of you can play him with anyone,” Smart said. “He can guard a variety of positions.

“He’s not a needy player where you have to run a bunch of plays for him. He does a really good job getting out in transition. He’s a very capable shooter.”

With the 20th-ranked Golden Eagles (15-5, 7-2 Big East) chasing a conference title, Ross’ strong play off the bench could be a big factor. Heading into MU’s game at Seton Hall (12-8, 5-4 Big East) on Saturday, Ross has compiled 12 dunks, 28 steals and knocked down 12 of 31 (38.7%) three-pointers.

Ross’ ready-made ability to impact games as a freshman can be traced to a bold decision and, like most basketball recruiting stories, some fortuitous circumstances.

Chase Ross first played at Plano West High School in Texas
Al Johnson is a former Texas A&M assistant coach and professional player manager who now runs a business out of Dallas that helps basketball prospects and their families navigate the recruiting process.

Johnson was working with Ryan Zambie, now playing at Lafayette, when Johnson spotted an intriguing sophomore teammate of Zambie’s at Plano West (Texas) High School.

“I’m watching them play warmups and I see this really athletic kid,” Johnson said. “About 6-3, looks the part. Well built. Just moves really well.”

Johnson introduced himself to Ross’ parents, Marnecha Johnson and Kareem Ross, and started working with the young player on his basketball skills.

“His junior year he had flashes,” Johnson said. “Like, oh, he can really be a big-time player if he is able to hone and work on a couple things and be in a situation where he can flourish a little bit more.

“Because you could see it. At Plano West, he was just figuring it out. So he was always up and down. He’d have a really great half and then an OK second half. But when he made plays it stood out. Kind of like what he’s doing as a freshman (at MU).”

Johnson knew a lot of basketball coaches at schools in the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council from when he lived in Boston and managed former Celtics player J.R. Giddens. Johnson felt that Ross would thrive in that environment.

“I kept telling his parents, ‘Ya’ll may think I’m crazy but I’ve got a suggestion that could possibly change his life,‘” Johnson said. “Just in general. Not from a basketball perspective, but change his life in general.”

Johnson targeted Cushing Academy and head coach James Cormier, who has a good reputation for skill development with guards such as former Providence star David Duke Jr.

Ross, who had a few small colleges watching him at Plano West, decided to make the move in March 2020.

“If he was going to reach his peak, he needed to be in a different environment,” Johnson said. “Because I saw from a developmental standpoint, he needed more. If he was going to play in that league (NEPSAC), he would be a Big East player like he is now.”

But Cushing played just a handful of games in the COVID-impacted 2020-21 season, and Ross flew under the radar.

The scholarship offers didn’t start piling up until college coaches could see Ross in person at the NEPSAC Showcase in June 2021, and then with a loaded Drive Nation team on the AAU circuit later that summer.

“Like I told his parents, ‘I told y’all,’” Johnson said. “I told y’all as soon as he got there he would have a chance.”

Marquette freshman guard Chase Ross is averaging 5.4 points off the bench and making several highlight-worthy plays.
Shaka Smart liked Ross' potential once he could see him
The funny thing about Ross’ recruitment is that current MU assistant Cody Hatt developed a relationship with Ross at Cushing when Hatt and Smart were still at the University of Texas in Ross’ home state.

Hatt once coached at Vermont Academy in the NEPSAC, and heard Cormier mention Ross during a podcast.

But Smart, who Johnson has also known for over a decade, couldn’t see Ross in person due to COVID recruiting restrictions. By the summer of 2021, when NCAA coaches could get back on the road, Smart and Hatt were at MU.

“Everything started with Cody Hatt,” Johnson said. “Cody staying in there with Cormier. And then Cody and I constantly talking and then I would mention things to Shaka in passing.

“Shaka just needed to see him. There was enough foundation laid before Shaka really got a chance to see him live that they were going to go full-in. Because just knowing Shaka like I do, once they’re in on a guy and they’re ready to rock and roll, everybody is involved. The full staff. Everybody is full-fledged engaged. You can just feel it.”

Ross committed to MU in September 2021, and his two seasons at Cushing Academy definitely prepared him to make an instant impact.

“Cormier really prepared him to where there’s nothing (Ross) hadn’t seen to be prepared as far as Xs and Os,” Johnson said. “And then being able to play freely in that style.

“The role he is in now is kind of what I anticipated. Him getting 15 minutes a game. He’s going to make some spectacular plays. He’s going to make some freshman plays. But he’s going to get in there and compete. He’s going to play hard.”

Ross is getting more comfortable game by game. There are the hyper-athletic plays like the dunk against Xavier that everyone notices, but also more subtle defensive plays that impress Smart, like when Ross denied Villanova’s Caleb Daniels from getting the ball on the Wildcats’ final possession on Dec. 31.

“I feel like I’ve improved drastically,” Ross said. “Coming in as a freshman, I think I came in and was a little nervous, on the edge, just I didn’t know how it was going to be.

“And it really hit me. At practice, it was super hard. I was tired. There were some days that I did not want to be there. I feel like my growth just went up from there. I just gained confidence from the coaching staff. They just talked to me every day, saying I got this, I’m going to be big one day.”

He’s come a long way from Plano, Texas

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 03:04:37 PM »
Marquette men’s basketball coach Shaka Smart frequently calls freshman guard Chase Ross “a dude,” possibly Smart’s warmest term of affection for a player.

In every game for the Golden Eagles, there seems to be a few plays when the 6-foot-4, 195-pound Ross does something that flashes his star potential. Like his steal and high-flying dunk that tied the game late in the second half against Xavier on Sunday.

Thank you for sharing. Chase is fun to watch. He's a great warrior. 

Hope we can read updates on how are other freshman feel and about our committed recruits.

“Chase is a very versatile player and he’s a great blend guy from a standpoint of you can play him with anyone,” Smart said. “He can guard a variety of positions.

“He’s not a needy player where you have to run a bunch of plays for him. He does a really good job getting out in transition. He’s a very capable shooter.”

With the 20th-ranked Golden Eagles (15-5, 7-2 Big East) chasing a conference title, Ross’ strong play off the bench could be a big factor. Heading into MU’s game at Seton Hall (12-8, 5-4 Big East) on Saturday, Ross has compiled 12 dunks, 28 steals and knocked down 12 of 31 (38.7%) three-pointers.

Ross’ ready-made ability to impact games as a freshman can be traced to a bold decision and, like most basketball recruiting stories, some fortuitous circumstances.

Chase Ross first played at Plano West High School in Texas
Al Johnson is a former Texas A&M assistant coach and professional player manager who now runs a business out of Dallas that helps basketball prospects and their families navigate the recruiting process.

Johnson was working with Ryan Zambie, now playing at Lafayette, when Johnson spotted an intriguing sophomore teammate of Zambie’s at Plano West (Texas) High School.

“I’m watching them play warmups and I see this really athletic kid,” Johnson said. “About 6-3, looks the part. Well built. Just moves really well.”

Johnson introduced himself to Ross’ parents, Marnecha Johnson and Kareem Ross, and started working with the young player on his basketball skills.

“His junior year he had flashes,” Johnson said. “Like, oh, he can really be a big-time player if he is able to hone and work on a couple things and be in a situation where he can flourish a little bit more.

“Because you could see it. At Plano West, he was just figuring it out. So he was always up and down. He’d have a really great half and then an OK second half. But when he made plays it stood out. Kind of like what he’s doing as a freshman (at MU).”

Johnson knew a lot of basketball coaches at schools in the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council from when he lived in Boston and managed former Celtics player J.R. Giddens. Johnson felt that Ross would thrive in that environment.

“I kept telling his parents, ‘Ya’ll may think I’m crazy but I’ve got a suggestion that could possibly change his life,‘” Johnson said. “Just in general. Not from a basketball perspective, but change his life in general.”

Johnson targeted Cushing Academy and head coach James Cormier, who has a good reputation for skill development with guards such as former Providence star David Duke Jr.

Ross, who had a few small colleges watching him at Plano West, decided to make the move in March 2020.

“If he was going to reach his peak, he needed to be in a different environment,” Johnson said. “Because I saw from a developmental standpoint, he needed more. If he was going to play in that league (NEPSAC), he would be a Big East player like he is now.”

But Cushing played just a handful of games in the COVID-impacted 2020-21 season, and Ross flew under the radar.

The scholarship offers didn’t start piling up until college coaches could see Ross in person at the NEPSAC Showcase in June 2021, and then with a loaded Drive Nation team on the AAU circuit later that summer.

“Like I told his parents, ‘I told y’all,’” Johnson said. “I told y’all as soon as he got there he would have a chance.”

Marquette freshman guard Chase Ross is averaging 5.4 points off the bench and making several highlight-worthy plays.
Shaka Smart liked Ross' potential once he could see him
The funny thing about Ross’ recruitment is that current MU assistant Cody Hatt developed a relationship with Ross at Cushing when Hatt and Smart were still at the University of Texas in Ross’ home state.

Hatt once coached at Vermont Academy in the NEPSAC, and heard Cormier mention Ross during a podcast.

But Smart, who Johnson has also known for over a decade, couldn’t see Ross in person due to COVID recruiting restrictions. By the summer of 2021, when NCAA coaches could get back on the road, Smart and Hatt were at MU.

“Everything started with Cody Hatt,” Johnson said. “Cody staying in there with Cormier. And then Cody and I constantly talking and then I would mention things to Shaka in passing.

“Shaka just needed to see him. There was enough foundation laid before Shaka really got a chance to see him live that they were going to go full-in. Because just knowing Shaka like I do, once they’re in on a guy and they’re ready to rock and roll, everybody is involved. The full staff. Everybody is full-fledged engaged. You can just feel it.”

Ross committed to MU in September 2021, and his two seasons at Cushing Academy definitely prepared him to make an instant impact.

“Cormier really prepared him to where there’s nothing (Ross) hadn’t seen to be prepared as far as Xs and Os,” Johnson said. “And then being able to play freely in that style.

“The role he is in now is kind of what I anticipated. Him getting 15 minutes a game. He’s going to make some spectacular plays. He’s going to make some freshman plays. But he’s going to get in there and compete. He’s going to play hard.”

Ross is getting more comfortable game by game. There are the hyper-athletic plays like the dunk against Xavier that everyone notices, but also more subtle defensive plays that impress Smart, like when Ross denied Villanova’s Caleb Daniels from getting the ball on the Wildcats’ final possession on Dec. 31.

“I feel like I’ve improved drastically,” Ross said. “Coming in as a freshman, I think I came in and was a little nervous, on the edge, just I didn’t know how it was going to be.

“And it really hit me. At practice, it was super hard. I was tired. There were some days that I did not want to be there. I feel like my growth just went up from there. I just gained confidence from the coaching staff. They just talked to me every day, saying I got this, I’m going to be big one day.”

He’s come a long way from Plano, Texas

Thanks for sharing the story about Ross. Would love to read other stories about our other freshman and how are committed 2023 recruits are playing in high school.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:31:42 PM by Stretchdeltsig »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 03:13:22 PM »
Ross needs to play more.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 03:43:24 PM »
How do you read that? The interface on every e-edition I've read renders it unread-able

I'm not that technically advanced, but I have Safari. I just click on e edition on the JS website and it takes me to the paper. I also read the Waukesha Freeman paper on line. I know, but I'm retired and like to keep up with things in Wisconsin.  :)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 03:48:14 PM »
Late? The Journal is a fxxkin joke and I still buy it every Sunday. One of these days I will learn my lesson and skip that weekly purchase. To boot, they keep raising the price.

Just read the paper on your phone or iPad.  The app for JS works well. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 04:24:20 PM »
So has anyone come across a “poster” photo of his posterized dunk from yesterday?

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 05:19:20 PM »
It's because of Gannett people. Local newspapers and other media (radio) barely have local full time employees anymore. Dont you get it?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 05:30:16 PM »
Thanks for the post, Elon.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »
It's because of Gannett people. Local newspapers and other media (radio) barely have local full time employees anymore. Dont you get it?

Pretty sure Ben Steele is local and a full time employee on the MU beat. I don't get why in this modern era of the inter webs his story cannot make the e edition of the Sunday paper when the game ends at 5 pm on Saturday. Not quite sure what you mean about not getting it.