[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wolfe kills Mountain Lion  (Read 1613 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Wolfe kills Mountain Lion
« on: January 20, 2023, 09:15:17 PM »
Former NFL player Derek Wolfe kills Menacing Mountain Lion

https://nypost.com/2023/01/20/ex-nfler-derek-wolfe-kills-massive-mountain-lion/amp/

Discuss
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Wolfe kills Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 10:04:27 AM »
Big cat.
Shame it had to be killed.
Probably has many offspring roaming the hills.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 10:50:17 AM »
Big cat.
Some more details on what happened

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/20/ex-nfl-dl-derek-wolfe-mountain-lion-hunt-legal-authorities-say/?adid=social-twa
            ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 11:05:38 AM »
Big cat.

His hunt was fairly south of me, but recently in the hood of my mountain chalet, several dogs have been snatched by these kitty cats, and my front door camera spotted one walking right by my front porch in mid December - about 5-6' long.  As I understand, mountain lion #s in Colorado are doing quite well.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 12:57:37 PM »
In all seriousness, mountain lions are pretty tasty.

They kill your pets in the most gruesome way. You should see what they do to manatees.

Hunting them is sustainable. Have at it.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 02:35:28 PM »

They kill your pets in the most gruesome way. You should see what they do to manatees.

I wonder what mountain lions say about the taste of humans?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 09:52:50 PM »
Huh?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 09:09:34 AM »

I heard mountain lions go very well at a tailgate party before a Packers/Detroit Lions game!

That's because the number of consumable lions available from Twin Cities area dentists has decreased dramatically.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 09:36:10 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 11:56:21 AM »
I have always loved mountain lions/pumas/cougars, but this story doesn't bother me, largely because they have been THRIVING.  Would not surprise me to see their populations and sightings continue to creep east.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 12:11:10 PM »
There was a very large confirmed siting of one on someone's doorbell cam or something here in Columbia, MO within the last month or so.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 11:32:05 AM »
There's a mountain lion that's been hanging around my ski cabin in CO and the neighbors are freaking out. The name of the street? Lions Lane. You'd think they'd be less surprised...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 02:11:43 PM »
There's a mountain lion that's been hanging around my ski cabin in CO and the neighbors are freaking out. The name of the street? Lions Lane. You'd think they'd be less surprised...

Right!?  I'm literally surrounded by national forest and count my neighbors as deer, elk, moose, coyotes, and mtn lions.  Was excited to see one on my camera, but also a little frightened to go outside that night, lol.

Should add:  Mountain lions rarely attack people - they usually stay away from us.  But dogs...those look like a meal to them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 02:15:51 PM by rocky_warrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 02:43:27 PM »
Right!?  I'm literally surrounded by national forest and count my neighbors as deer, elk, moose, coyotes, and mtn lions.  Was excited to see one on my camera, but also a little frightened to go outside that night, lol.

Should add:  Mountain lions rarely attack people - they usually stay away from us.  But dogs...those look like a meal to them.

Do you ever get bears?

I was staying at an AirBnB in Kalispel, MT during the pandemic and the bedroom I was staying in was in the basement, but it had a window at the top of the bedroom that was at ground level outside.  I was already in bed but was on my phone and I heard what sounded like a rock or something hit the window.  A short time later I got a phone call from a number I didn't recognize so I ignored it, but then looked up the area code and it was Kalispel.  The owner owned a house that was further up the mountain it was on, so I called it back thinking it might've been her, which it was.  She was calling to tell me that her son was coming up the drive and there was a grizzly outside the house, so she wanted us to know that we should have the dog on a leash if we were taking the dog out at all.  Safe to say we all decided we'd stay in the house until the next morning.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 02:59:19 PM »
Do you ever get bears?

Well, I've seen signs of them (poop), but not hanging around.  Though I only moved here last July.  We mostly have black bears though - they're fairly harmless.  Grizzly's are scary AF. 

But, in wildlife news, I'm working from home today, and this little lady (not little at all) just wandered past my office window. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 03:11:48 PM »
Well, I've seen signs of them (poop), but not hanging around.  Though I only moved here last July.  We mostly have black bears though - they're fairly harmless.  Grizzly's are scary AF. 

But, in wildlife news, I'm working from home today, and this little lady (not little at all) just wandered past my office window.
I’m jealous

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 03:19:38 PM »

That's awesome.  That's one of the few animals we were hoping to see but didn't out in MT.  We saw wolves, bison, elk, pronghorn, black bears (2 tiny cubs walking along Going to the Sun Road as their momma was climbing along the side of the mountain), and a grizzly (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/69665125475957245/ - this one, the same day it had killed the bull elk.  It was mostly sleeping but started to move around a bit when we were getting ready to leave the area.  It ended up getting national attention because apparently grizzlies will just eat as much of its kill as it can and then move away and the wolves and other animals swoop in and eat the leftovers, but she was covering it, eating some, and then fighting off other animals).  We did not see any moose or mountain goats/long horned sheep.  We did see mountain goats and long horned sheep in Banff this past summer, but still have not seen a moose in the wild.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 03:48:26 PM »
but still have not seen a moose in the wild.

I guess I should monetize Moose tours.  There's a summer wetland / gulch about 100 yards past the back of my house - prime moose environment.  And frequently they can be found in the woods between my house and the gulch.   Buddy from Chicago came out in Oct and we nearly literally stumbled across 2 bull moose - his first time ever seeing one.  Fortunately we took a couple steps back and they both just sat down and let us observe them.  That's the scary thing about moose, they're dead silent and blend in so well with the trees - usually by the time you see them you're WAY too close.  I keep my eyes peeled, and fortunately the couple times I didn't the moose were chill.  I have a way better picture of what I think is the same female that my 82 yo mother and I stumbled upon wandering around one day - ended up about 20ft away before realizing and backing off!

Bighorn sheep are cool, I have a scary story about hiking along a dirt road and saw a herd of them to my left - kept walking until they started to look a little concerned.  Finally noticed some youngins to the right of the road - and stopped and backed off again until they all got to the same side of the road. 

I guess I'm full of stories about how wild animals haven't killed me...yet.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 03:49:45 PM »

Moose on the loose.

I remember the first time I saw a moose.  I was like 8.  On a trip to the middle of Maine to visit the Canadien Francais family, it was hanging up by a noose in my dad's cousin's garage. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 03:53:16 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 04:28:05 PM »
I guess I should monetize Moose tours.  There's a summer wetland / gulch about 100 yards past the back of my house - prime moose environment.  And frequently they can be found in the woods between my house and the gulch.   Buddy from Chicago came out in Oct and we nearly literally stumbled across 2 bull moose - his first time ever seeing one.  Fortunately we took a couple steps back and they both just sat down and let us observe them.  That's the scary thing about moose, they're dead silent and blend in so well with the trees - usually by the time you see them you're WAY too close.  I keep my eyes peeled, and fortunately the couple times I didn't the moose were chill.  I have a way better picture of what I think is the same female that my 82 yo mother and I stumbled upon wandering around one day - ended up about 20ft away before realizing and backing off!

Bighorn sheep are cool, I have a scary story about hiking along a dirt road and saw a herd of them to my left - kept walking until they started to look a little concerned.  Finally noticed some youngins to the right of the road - and stopped and backed off again until they all got to the same side of the road. 

I guess I'm full of stories about how wild animals haven't killed me...yet.

One of my best friends had a mountain goat basically forcing them off of (I believe) the Highline Trail in Glacier National Park.  I can't remember the full story but just remember it continuing to come at them and they were in a not great position to be moving off of the trail.  Didn't end up doing any harm but said it was pretty weird.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
First time I saw a moose was in Quetico Provincial Park, north of the Minnesota Boundary Waters.
I was fishing in a canoe and on the shore, I saw what I thought was a horse.  I was thinking, what the heck is a horse doing here in the middle of nowhere. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2023, 10:16:11 PM »
Wocky,

Choot one,  they are great table fair.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2023, 08:10:24 AM »
Meh, I'll just buy if from people that have bigger freezers than me!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 11:17:17 AM »
My sister was chased by an hyped up moose on the College of St. Scholastica campus in Duluth.

Seemed this moose exited a nearby woods seeking girl moose’s. When he didn’t find any, he thought girls would be a nice substitute. Since my sister was conveniently close….

Let’s just say my sis found a nearby building post-haste.

My parents had black bears that found their garbage in Douglas County, WI especially tasty!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2023, 11:36:55 AM »
MIL had bear bust into her kitchen in superior…East end of Belknap, past the Bong bridge.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
MIL had bear bust into her kitchen in superior…East end of Belknap, past the Bong bridge.

Living proof Douglas County garbage is the tastiest garbage!