[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Revenge is a grind  (Read 7607 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Revenge is a grind
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 10:43:20 PM »
Weve played Gtown, so definitely have played the worst team.

Shoot, they are so bad I forgot. OK, we have St. Johns and Nova at home, so let's make it seven wins possible. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 10:44:47 PM »
Marquette shot 58% on 2s, 42% on 3s, and had just 9 turnovers.  We've become spoiled with how good this offense is.

No question about it.  But I do think we can get better defensively and on the glass. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 10:48:13 PM »
Ben Gold in Shaka doghouse, he hardly played at all, again. 
There is a pretty massive drop off from our starters to our bench. But, our bench consists of three freshmen and a sophomore that played sparingly last year, so the future looks bright. You can probably play them more against Butler, G'Town, etc., but not so much against the top four teams in the league.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 10:49:05 PM »
Marquette shot 58% on 2s, 42% on 3s, and had just 9 turnovers.  We've become spoiled with how good this offense is.

This ^^^

Shut it down.

It wasn’t pretty, and everyone felt that.

The fact that this team still did this offensively on one of its off nights says everything.

Tidy up the boards, lock in on D, and take down Shaneen

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 10:56:38 PM »
There is a pretty massive drop off from our starters to our bench. But, our bench consists of three freshmen and a sophomore that played sparingly last year, so the future looks bright. You can probably play them more against Butler, G'Town, etc., but not so much against the top four teams in the league.

I was just hoping for more BE experience which would be beneficial for him.  He will be needed in future if Oso gets in foul trouble, Joplin replacing Oso is a defensive nightmare.

Gold's playing time lately is:

4 minutes tonight
3 minutes
4 minutes
14 ( blowout game)
7 minutes
3 minutes

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 10:58:41 PM »
When it comes to Gold's playing time, I'm gonna trust the coach who sees him for multiple hours every single day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2023, 11:02:07 PM »
I was just hoping for more BE experience which would be beneficial for him.  He will be needed in future if Oso gets in foul trouble, Joplin replacing Oso is a defensive nightmare.

Gold's playing time lately is:

4 minutes tonight
3 minutes
4 minutes
14 ( blowout game)
7 minutes
3 minutes

I get it, but at the same time I don’t.

You have to win game, Marquette has been winning games.

The rotation will get tighter when the conference title is in play.

Shaka will have to balance, but he has the rope

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2023, 11:04:23 PM »
Wade no match for Diener in the beer chugging contest.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2023, 11:10:36 PM »
I’d be interested to see Stevie get a shot defensively at some of the stronger wings. OMax seems to be much better chasing around perimeter players and using his length to make their lives miserable. Stevie looks like he’s built to take on a bigger, stronger wing and make the guy take contested shots over the top, like Jrue Holiday does.

Also, Oso I thought Oso was too conservative with his foul trouble down the stretch. With 3 fouls and 10 minutes left? Sure, don’t battle as hard on the boards. But with under 4 minutes left and 3 fouls? Get after it again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 11:13:40 PM »
Can't believe DWade thought he could out-slam Diener.  Fool!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 11:15:50 PM »
I’d be interested to see Stevie get a shot defensively at some of the stronger wings. OMax seems to be much better chasing around perimeter players and using his length to make their lives miserable. Stevie looks like he’s built to take on a bigger, stronger wing and make the guy take contested shots over the top, like Jrue Holiday does.

Also, Oso I thought Oso was too conservative with his foul trouble down the stretch. With 3 fouls and 10 minutes left? Sure, don’t battle as hard on the boards. But with under 4 minutes left and 3 fouls? Get after it again.

Good point.

Oso on a lead guard and Steve in a bigger wing likely worse well

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 11:24:20 PM »
Does 8 points count as a close win?
No less than 5 pts. Were still lacking on that skill, will hurt seeding.
Goal is National Championship

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 11:24:42 PM »
Kenpom #13, not that Kenpom matters :)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 12:02:00 AM »
Kenpom #13, not that Kenpom matters :)

How is it possible that Creighton is 14 with 8 losses and St. Mary’s is number 8 with 4 losses in the WCC. Something wonky going on with his model.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 12:08:10 AM »
Providence apparently gets the "floor condensation, no travel" calls even away from home.

Marquette fought hard and took home a win. This team has heart and grit. Good win.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 12:13:36 AM »
How is it possible that Creighton is 14 with 8 losses and St. Mary’s is number 8 with 4 losses in the WCC. Something wonky going on with his model.

The answer is always margin of victory:

St. Mary's:
26 point win over #166 Vermont
30 point win over #65 North Texas
18 point win over #229 Southern
28 point win over #127 Hofstra
10 point win over #90 Vanderbilt
20 point win over #128 Missouri State
13 point win over #167 New Mexico State
12 point win over #163 Wyoming
42 point win over #168 Portland
14 point win over #99 Loyola Marymount
17 point win over #113 San Francisco

Their four losses are by a combined 15 points (12 points if you count their 4 point OT loss as a 1 point loss)

Creighton:
12 point win over #214 St. Thomas
35 point win over #325 North Dakota
29 point win over #343 Holy Cross
29 point win over #159 UC Riverside
11 point win over #63 Texas Tech
22 point win over #93 Butler
15 point win over #130 DePaul
22 point win over #50 Seton Hall
21 point win over #93 Butler

5/8 of their losses are by 5 or less and 3 of those are to top 20 teams. 2 of their remaining losses are to top 13 teams on the road. 10 point loss to #92 Nebraska is really their only bad result.

There's also a gap between MU at #13 and CREI at #14. MU is actually closer to becoming #9 then they are to becoming #14.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 05:10:14 AM »

I agree with this.  Plenty of playing time to come this season.  Have to tighten the rotation against the best teams.  Gold and Sean will be ready to roll against the Hall. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2023, 06:14:25 AM »
Gosh, you mean all the pre-season talk of nine players getting big minutes has turned into a shortened rotation come Big East season?

You don’t say.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2023, 06:22:51 AM »
I disagree with the shortened rotation philosophy.    Play the bench as much as you can to save wear on the starters and to develop the young guys.   I look at how Stevie started playing better late last season as an example.

Mine is not the popular opinion. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2023, 06:42:37 AM »
Coach Smart Speak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8dJo_Ervos

Coach Cooley Speak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUup-4EEr-Y

A lot of class and respect.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2023, 06:51:51 AM »
tower

I want to see as many guys get as many minutes as possible. It was a tough three hand stretch and they really did need the win last night and shortened bench was not surprising. I am hoping that in the back portion of the schedule our bench can get a lot of minutes and get ready for March.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2023, 06:53:59 AM »
I disagree with the shortened rotation philosophy.    Play the bench as much as you can to save wear on the starters and to develop the young guys.   I look at how Stevie started playing better late last season as an example.

Mine is not the popular opinion.

I'm with you all the way, especially Ben Gold. We might not have Oso or Omax or both next season, but someone is going elsewhere next season. I really hope they stay as the team can really be something next season.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 07:01:39 AM »
It’s time to play for this year…we have a shot to win the big east.  It’s nice to be in that position after so many years of wandering around aimlessly

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2023, 07:08:21 AM »
One way to avoid a late season swoon is to have your best players fresh.   The best way to keep your players fresh is to play the bench.  I get that team has very little experience coming off the bench and that the starters are phenomenal together.   Everyone is getting excited about MSG and the tournament.    What kind of legs will the team have left with 4 starters playing 30 minutes per game?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2023, 07:22:19 AM »
One way to avoid a late season swoon is to have your best players fresh.   The best way to keep your players fresh is to play the bench.  I get that team has very little experience coming off the bench and that the starters are phenomenal together.   Everyone is getting excited about MSG and the tournament.    What kind of legs will the team have left with 4 starters playing 30 minutes per game?

Basically the same legs and freshness as the rest of the teams
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....