collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by tower912
[Today at 02:57:23 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 48284 times)

MU82

• All American
2023 MLB Thread
« on: January 18, 2023, 09:06:37 AM »
From The Athletic:

Baseball expansion is happening. Commissioner Rob Manfred wants it. Cities want teams. It should be a reality soon.

Portland: Plans are already underway for a 32,000-seat stadium, Stephen J. Nesbitt writes. The city is in, and so are investors.

Nashville: Andy McCullough reports the foundation for an MLB team is already being built — and they already have a name picked out.

Las Vegas, Charlotte and others are leading candidates for new teams, too. Manfred has said he wants resolution for the Athletics and Rays, both embroiled in nasty negotiations about a new stadium, before MLB officially expands to 32 teams.

But it's coming, and the A's and/or Rays could be in a new city, too. 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 10:27:47 AM »
From The Athletic:

Baseball expansion is happening. Commissioner Rob Manfred wants it. Cities want teams. It should be a reality soon.

Portland: Plans are already underway for a 32,000-seat stadium, Stephen J. Nesbitt writes. The city is in, and so are investors.

Nashville: Andy McCullough reports the foundation for an MLB team is already being built — and they already have a name picked out.

Las Vegas, Charlotte and others are leading candidates for new teams, too. Manfred has said he wants resolution for the Athletics and Rays, both embroiled in nasty negotiations about a new stadium, before MLB officially expands to 32 teams.

But it's coming, and the A's and/or Rays could be in a new city, too.

Interesting.

I think it's the Nashville Stars which was maybe the name of the Negro League team.  I think there already a website.

Doesn't the city of Tampa want to build a stadium for The Rays but there is the lease in St. Petersburg?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 10:42:43 AM »
Interesting.

I think it's the Nashville Stars which was maybe the name of the Negro League team.  I think there already a website.

Doesn't the city of Tampa want to build a stadium for The Rays but there is the lease in St. Petersburg?

I don't know the latest on the Tampa-St. Pete situation. It has been in flux for years.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 11:20:33 AM »
Interesting.

This isn’t really new. Nashville’s group for example, officially began 5 years ago as Music City baseball. And discussions and efforts started even prior to that.

The Stars began as the St. Louis Giants (1906-1921) and evolved into the St.Louis Stars (1922-1931). Nashville formed the Elite Giants Negro League team in the early 1930’s. The Nashville Stars were one of many semi pro teams in a wide range of leagues from the late 1930’s to early 1950’s. mls They like the Stars name. There is now a youth baseball club there with the same name, with majority black players and coaches.

https://www.mlbmusiccity.com/leadership-roster/

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 11:23:06 AM »
Nashville makes a lot of sense for baseball, Portland, eh?

Vegas will have a team

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 11:25:30 AM »
This isn’t really new. Nashville’s group for example, officially began 5 years ago as Music City baseball. And discussions and efforts started even prior to that.

The Stars began as the St. Louis Giants (1906-1921) and evolved into the St.Louis Stars (1922-1931). Nashville formed the Elite Giants Negro League team in the early 1930’s. The Nashville Stars were one of many semi pro teams in a wide range of leagues from the late 1930’s to early 1950’s. mls They like the Stars name. There is now a youth baseball club there with the same name, with majority black players and coaches.

https://www.mlbmusiccity.com/leadership-roster/

It all leads back to STL.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 11:31:05 AM »
Will be interesting to see what expansion would do to the divisional alignments.  If two teams were added, would MLB move to eight four-team divisions?  And how would that impact the playoff structure - four division winners and two wildcards in each league?  Three wildcards?  Four wildcards?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 11:47:26 AM »
If expansion happens, I'd like to see minimum payroll commitments be a part of the requirements.  For example, require that for its first 10 years any expansion team maintain a major league payroll in the top 50% of the league, or remain above 75% of the luxury tax threshold, or something like that.  The last thing the league needs is another 2-3 teams running out rosters filled with replacement level players that together make less than any two players on top teams.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 11:48:58 AM »
Made me think about divisional realignment, assuming that Nashville and Portland were added, and no other teams switched leagues -

AL East - Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles
AL Central - Guardians, White Sox, Twins, Tigers
AL South - Rays, Rangers, Astros, Royals
AL West - Mariners, Angels, Oakland\Vegas, Portland

NL East - Mets, Phillies, Nats, Pirates
NL Central - Cardinals, Cubs, Brewers, Rockies
NL South - Braves, Marlins, Reds, Nashville
NL West - Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Diamondbacks

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:51:57 AM by ChuckyChip »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 12:14:17 PM »
Interesting.

The Rays lease runs out in 2027. There have been a plethora of recent ideas, proposals etc...that have fallen through in both Tampa and St. Pete. Owner wants to pay 50%.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 12:17:14 PM by shoothoops »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 12:19:58 PM »
If expansion happens, I'd like to see minimum payroll commitments be a part of the requirements.  For example, require that for its first 10 years any expansion team maintain a major league payroll in the top 50% of the league, or remain above 75% of the luxury tax threshold, or something like that.  The last thing the league needs is another 2-3 teams running out rosters filled with replacement level players that together make less than any two players on top teams.

Does the fact that expanding by two teams necessarily means that (at least) 56 additional MLB players are needed have the effect of pushing the value of a "replacement level" player down somewhat? What is gained by putting a gun to Expansion Team X's GM and say "pay guys more money or you fail this expansion requirement test" if the only realistic option available is to overpay mediocre players? (problem no doubt worsened by going to 3 or 4 expansion teams and diluting the talent pool further still)

You get a Jeff Suppan! You get a Jeff Suppan! Everyone gets a Jeff Suppan!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 12:24:10 PM »
Made me think about divisional realignment, assuming that Nashville and Portland were added, and no other teams switched leagues -

AL East - Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles
AL Central - Guardians, White Sox, Twins, Tigers
AL South - Rays, Rangers, Astros, Royals
AL West - Mariners, Angels, Oakland\Vegas, Portland

NL East - Mets, Phillies, Nats, Pirates
NL Central - Cardinals, Cubs, Brewers, Rockies
NL South - Braves, Marlins, Reds, Nashville
NL West - Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Diamondbacks

I think they would stick with 3 divisions each league.  From what I repeatedly hear is the Florida teams want to be the East division.  It helps home attendance when your the Rays and the Yankees & Red Sox are in your division and visit x number of times a year.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 12:34:22 PM »
I think they would stick with 3 divisions each league.  From what I repeatedly hear is the Florida teams want to be the East division.  It helps home attendance when your the Rays and the Yankees & Red Sox are in your division and visit x number of times a year.

True, although the new "balanced" schedule reduces the number of divisional games from 76 to 52 starting this year.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 01:19:18 PM »
True, although the new "balanced" schedule reduces the number of divisional games from 76 to 52 starting this year.

Which means they would have even less at home vs these two teams.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 01:19:43 PM »
From The Athletic:

32K would be the smallest stadium in the league. Gotta wonder why MLB would be down with that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
32K would be the smallest stadium in the league. Gotta wonder why MLB would be down with that.

Because I'm not sure if Tampa and Oakland say "no" to new stadiums, if they will have enough markets for relocation and expansion without Portland. And that may be as good as Portland is going to get.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2023, 01:49:33 PM »
If tickets are consistently in high demand and the ballpark is consistently sold out, 32K is plenty big enough. The Pirates are 38K, and that's a great ballpark, and when they had representative teams they packed the place and it brought in a lot of money. They were even competing for free agents for a couple years there. Fenway is 37K-ish.

Better a full 32K-seat ballpark than a 50K+ seater that always looks empty.

As for MUBurrow's comment about minimum payroll, I'd like to see that MLB-wide, not just for expansion teams. If the A's owner can't (or won't) spend the money to field a representative team, he should have to sell it to somebody who would. They all get so much media revenue now.

I found it interesting that Charlotte's on the possible expansion list. We have a beautiful, newish downtown ballpark for our Triple-A team (White Sox affiliate) but it only seats 10K. It's absolutely perfect for Triple-A, but I think I've seen studies that the most it could be expanded to would be 18K. So they'd have to tear it down and start over, or find another spot for a big-league stadium. Given that Tepper soon is gonna be asking for a billion bucks for the Panthers' stadium, it's hard to imagine there being an appetite here to ask taxpayers for that much more. But who knows ... maybe there's another billionaire willing to use private funds.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 02:41:31 PM »

25 out of 30 teams averaged less than 32,000.

With the smaller stadium, a higher percentage of seats would be big-ticket items (luxury boxes, luxury box seats, etc.). Total income from ticket sales is more important than the number sold. I have to assume there would be on-site gambling facilities to generate income as well.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2023, 02:50:27 PM »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2023, 03:00:44 PM »

With the smaller stadium, a higher percentage of seats would be big-ticket items (luxury boxes, luxury box seats, etc.). Total income from ticket sales is more important than the number sold. I have to assume there would be on-site gambling facilities to generate income as well.

Yea, 81 is a LOT of home games, especially for a metro that isn't in the top 25 and won't be particularly warm for good parts of the season.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2023, 03:19:41 PM »

I'm not sure the average really matters. Teamns don't build stadiums with a capacity with the average night in mind. 
Even if you sell out only 15 games a year at 40,000, that's still 120,000 more tickets, tens of thousands of more cars in the lot at $25 a pop, hundreds of thousands of more overpriced hot dogs, beers and nachos, visits to the team gift shop, etc.
And given that it'll be a new franchise, they won't have any problem filling that stadium the first few years,
I'm not sure you could charge enough of a premium on fewer seats to make up for that lost revenue.
Nor do I think the Portland area could sustain an unusually high number of luxury boxes and seats to make up for the lost revenues on regular tickets and accommodations. Portland's not exactly a hub of corporate America.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2023, 06:38:46 AM »
Chip Caray leaving Atlanta to be the Cardinals' top play-by-play guy:

After a months-long search, longtime Atlanta Braves television play-by-play broadcaster Chip Caray is leaving his position with Bally Sports South and will join the Bally Sports Midwest broadcasting team as the lead play-by-play announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals, multiple industry sources told The Athletic on Monday. Here’s what you need to know:

Caray, grandson of legendary former Cardinals broadcaster Harry Caray, will replace Dan McLaughlin, who was set to begin his 25th season as the lead television voice with the Cardinals this season.

McLaughlin was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated in early December. He was eventually charged with a felony persistent DWI. McLaughlin opted to leave his position with Bally Sports Midwest under a “mutual decision” later in the month.

Caray will be paired with Brad Thompson and Jim Edmonds, who will alternate between the analyst role and hosting in-studio. Thompson will be the lead analyst for the majority of the 2023 broadcasts and sideline reporters Jim Hayes and Alexa Datt will return to the broadcast as well.

Caray is leaving the Braves position entirely by his choice, a source said, adding that the pull of going “home” to St. Louis was strong. He was raised in St. Louis, and Chip’s parents were divorced. He told The Athletic he rarely saw his father, legendary broadcaster Skip Caray, after he went to Atlanta to work as a Braves broadcaster in 1976.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2023, 07:19:05 AM »
Chip Caray leaving Atlanta to be the Cardinals' top play-by-play guy:

After a months-long search, longtime Atlanta Braves television play-by-play broadcaster Chip Caray is leaving his position with Bally Sports South and will join the Bally Sports Midwest broadcasting team as the lead play-by-play announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals, multiple industry sources told The Athletic on Monday. Here’s what you need to know:

Caray, grandson of legendary former Cardinals broadcaster Harry Caray, will replace Dan McLaughlin, who was set to begin his 25th season as the lead television voice with the Cardinals this season.

McLaughlin was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated in early December. He was eventually charged with a felony persistent DWI. McLaughlin opted to leave his position with Bally Sports Midwest under a “mutual decision” later in the month.

Caray will be paired with Brad Thompson and Jim Edmonds, who will alternate between the analyst role and hosting in-studio. Thompson will be the lead analyst for the majority of the 2023 broadcasts and sideline reporters Jim Hayes and Alexa Datt will return to the broadcast as well.

Caray is leaving the Braves position entirely by his choice, a source said, adding that the pull of going “home” to St. Louis was strong. He was raised in St. Louis, and Chip’s parents were divorced. He told The Athletic he rarely saw his father, legendary broadcaster Skip Caray, after he went to Atlanta to work as a Braves broadcaster in 1976.

Never forget Harry Caray lost his job in St. Louis for banging the owners wife which is better than getting multiple DUIs, I suppose
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2023, 01:40:04 PM »
Not great for the ChiSox big gree-agent addition.

White Sox pitcher Mike Clevinger is under investigation by Major League Baseball following allegations of domestic violence involving the mother of his 10-month-old daughter and child abuse, per a report from Brittany Ghiroli and Katie Strang of The Athletic.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/mike-clevinger-under-investigation-for-domestic-violence-allegations.html