Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seth Davis latest on MU  (Read 4729 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Seth Davis latest on MU
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2023, 06:11:06 PM »
I love Jop. I'm not sure if he's even the best bench player on our team. He's instant offense but his defense is brutal. He has been better as of late and Ross had a rough game against X so he might be taking over the best bench player title soon
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2023, 06:23:17 PM »
I'm not seeing it with Jop yet. The potential is there but he's just not very reliable as of now. Looking forward to see if he can step up into a bigger role as season goes on.
I think if this year’s team had next year’s Jop we would be rollin’. He is coming along, but to me he seems a year away.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2023, 07:45:44 PM »
National press: Jop in discussion as BE and National 6th man. Scoop: Sit him.

Scoop knows ball!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2023, 07:50:37 PM »
Final Four

Good take on Joplin. I have no doubt he will be tough guy to stop next season and expect to see modest improvements on defense and rebounding. I thought Kam had big upside coming into this season as a scorer and Joplin had more upside, IMO.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2023, 09:19:55 PM »
Like 1 guy Seth Davis?   Did he see the 4 or more bankrupt drives to the hoop against X?  I like Jop - but he has issues going to the hoop and once he gets the ball, the offense stops more often than not.  Some adjustments and his game could be much better.

National press: Jop in discussion as BE and National 6th man. Scoop: Sit him.

Scoop knows ball!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 09:38:47 PM by PointWarrior »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2023, 11:21:15 PM »
Like 1 guy Seth Davis?   Did he see the 4 or more bankrupt drives to the hoop against X?  I like Jop - but he has issues going to the hoop and once he gets the ball, the offense stops more often than not.  Some adjustments and his game could be much better.

OMax was a -14 in the 2nd half and Jop was a +1. That was why Jop was getting the playing time. X was going at Oso and OMax, and Jop was Shaka’s answer. In fact, Jop was keeping MU in the game hitting some key shots and free throws. He leads the team in trey % and is 2nd in DReb% just behind Oso for the lead.

Is he developing? Yes, of course which is why he is a 6th man. But to read Scoop…well consider the source.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2023, 11:29:47 PM »
Jop is an excellent offensive player. He is also one of the two worst defenders on the team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2023, 11:41:26 PM »
Jop is an excellent offensive player. He is also one of the two worst defenders on the team.

He is coming along, but I can say he was much better than Omax defensively yesterday. When Oso gets in foul trouble, someone else with height needs to step up. More so, when Omax misses and winds up on the floor, it’s  5 on 4 on the return break. Not technically a live ball turnover, but essentially one. Gold was getting muscled and didn’t see the floor in the 2nd.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2023, 03:48:34 AM »
OMax was a -14 in the 2nd half and Jop was a +1. That was why Jop was getting the playing time. X was going at Oso and OMax, and Jop was Shaka’s answer. In fact, Jop was keeping MU in the game hitting some key shots and free throws. He leads the team in trey % and is 2nd in DReb% just behind Oso for the lead.

Is he developing? Yes, of course which is why he is a 6th man. But to read Scoop…well consider the source.

Yes he’s developing. That’s really all I am saying. He’s not likely to be BEPOY because he is limited. And that’s fine. Hardly ripping on him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2023, 07:41:06 AM »
Joplin has the highest usage on the team (by a good margin) and the worst offensive rating (by a healthly margin).  Yes, he scores a lot of points but that is because he takes a ton of shots.  He has the worst assist rate, has the worst shooting % on 2's and is 5th on the team in EFG (actually ahead of Kolek and Stevie).

He does a real good job of rebounding on the defensive end and I think that is why he gets more playing time than maybe he deserves as we are so lacking there.

He seems to have been listening to coaches recently as his shots per game have come down a bit and seems to be a bit more selective than he was in the past.  Often times he is a black hole for the offense.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2023, 07:57:22 AM »
Irwin

My biggest frustration with Joplin is when he goes into black hole mode and takes a bad shot or a sloppy turnover. I can live with his defense because the guy can score. He is showing signs of being smarter when he gets the ball on offense and that is encouraging. Overall, I fully believe the kid needs to play a lot of minutes. Aside from helping this year, it should pay dividends next season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2023, 08:01:01 AM »
Last year, Morsell and Justin were the ball stoppers on offense.  This year, to my eyes, it is Joplin and Sean.   First world problem.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2023, 10:49:37 AM »
More so, when Omax misses and winds up on the floor, it’s  5 on 4 on the return break. Not technically a live ball turnover, but essentially one.

Yeah he's gotta knock that crap off. He even does it on makes. I don't know if he's that uncoordinated or is trying to get calls, but if it's the latter it aint working.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2023, 11:00:04 AM »
He is coming along, but I can say he was much better than Omax defensively yesterday. When Oso gets in foul trouble, someone else with height needs to step up. More so, when Omax misses and winds up on the floor, it’s  5 on 4 on the return break. Not technically a live ball turnover, but essentially one. Gold was getting muscled and didn’t see the floor in the 2nd.

Gold's day will come, but he has spacing issues right now.  I know at least once and maybe twice in his limited minutes against X, a crafty X dribbler basically used Gold as an additional screener on the PnR.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2023, 01:00:35 PM »
David Joplin is a big part of the success they had and is going to major contributor before he is done. No player has frustrated me as much, but the good Joplin is really good. Plus, I think he is a guy that wants to play in big games and have the ball in his hand.

Every time he frustrates me it is uncanny on how he turns it around in short order. If he improves his weaknesses and cleans up sloppy turnovers he is going score a lot of points in a MU uniform.
He reminds me of Jamil, sometimes the energy doesn't seem to be there until he makes a basket, and needs to not find himself so lost on D, sometimes he doesn't know who to guard and ends up in no man's land.
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2023, 01:47:11 PM »
Newsie

His getting lost on defensive is the biggest problem to me. He is not a great defender by any stretch, but far better if he knows who he should be guarding on defense.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2023, 04:36:37 PM »
Joplin is kind of a poor man’s Bernard Toone. Ton of talent as a shooter/scorer but sometimes disinterested and often confused on D.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2023, 05:11:02 PM »
Lenny

A very poor man’s BT, but definite similarities. I am sticking with my Dwayne Johnson comp because I am hoping to see him use that body more down low. For a guy with limited jumping ability, his frame and creativity is a big asset in his game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2023, 05:59:32 PM »
Lenny

A very poor man’s BT, but definite similarities. I am sticking with my Dwayne Johnson comp because I am hoping to see him use that body more down low. For a guy with limited jumping ability, his frame and creativity is a big asset in his game.

Goose

Body type definitely more like DJ. Gifted shooting from the line and long range more like BT. Of course he’s nowhere near BT overall, hence the “poor man’s reference.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2023, 06:02:19 PM »
Lenny

BT is an all time top 5-10 favorite of mine, more for personality and style than on court performance. That said, he had big, big time talent. IMO, maybe more upside than many former players that had long pro careers.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2023, 06:30:18 PM »
Lenny

BT is an all time top 5-10 favorite of mine, more for personality and style than on court performance. That said, he had big, big time talent. IMO, maybe more upside than many former players that had long pro careers.

Goose

Don’t disagree. Huge talent but kinda a flake.