[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 17801 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2023, 05:02:25 PM »
I need a recommendation.

Taking my biz partner out to eat with his wife and 1 year old. I've taken them out to Armitage Ale House (great, btw) and that was the appropriate level of nice & child friendly. Anything you all would recommend in the city?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2023, 02:45:30 PM »
I need a recommendation.

Taking my biz partner out to eat with his wife and 1 year old. I've taken them out to Armitage Ale House (great, btw) and that was the appropriate level of nice & child friendly. Anything you all would recommend in the city?

The 4 Star restaurants around Southport Corridor (Frasca, Crosby's, Tuco & Blondie) are all solid food-wise and tend to be great with kids. Maybe a half step down in niceness from what I know of Armitage.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2023, 02:55:01 PM »
The 4 Star restaurants around Southport Corridor (Frasca, Crosby's, Tuco & Blondie) are all solid food-wise and tend to be great with kids. Maybe a half step down in niceness from what I know of Armitage.

When I was a 20 something in Chicago, I HATED Southport Corridor.  The bars were comparitively lame to LP, Old Town, River North, or Wicker and the people I knew who lived in and preferred that area just happened to be not as fun or used terms like "good beer" when describing where they wanted to go on a weekend night.  Schoolyard was the exception, naturally

Fast forward 10-15 years, my 3 best friends in the city live in Roscoe, Bucktown, and North Center and my last few visits down with my wife have brought us to the SoCo multiple times for really solid dinners.  Life is funny.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2023, 03:28:32 PM »
Hah we did the same thing, think we went there at 5pm on NYE because every other time was sold out!

Been thinking about checking out one of their new Monday pre fixe menus. Love La Parra, and Amerikas, I may say Rustico or Citrine have some stuff that can hang with them & Autre Monde but overall 100% agree that Autre Monde is a notch above.

Haven't been to Lavergne's, I'll be sure to check it out soon now that I'm kitchenless for two months.

Also saw today the sous chef from Gaetanos is opening up a new Italian spot in the old space on Madison. Hopefully it's remotely on par with the old spot!

Agreed on Rustico and Citrine.  Good news on Gaetano’s front

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2023, 07:01:30 PM »

I live in the neighborhood and I would recommend against Crosby's, personally, unless you're there for drinking instead of food. Tuco & Blonde is good for dinner with kids, better for cocktails on the patio during the summer.

Coda di Volpe is very good. Their brunch menu (sandwiches made with their pizza bread) is as good as their undersized pasta dishes. Ranked top 30 by Chicago Mag a few weeks back. I would say Armitage is in this tier of resto quality. Excellent for non-starred restaurants.

No dice on rezs at Frasca and Le Sud. Short notice, though.

I grabbed a reservation at Sochi, though. I think they got their first star this year. One of my favorites (I'm a sucker for Viet food, and their Slap Your Mama Fried Rice is bangin'), and I haven't tried their soups yet. Really looking forward to it, and I appreciate your help brainstorming!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2023, 11:05:28 AM »
I live in the neighborhood and I would recommend against Crosby's, personally, unless you're there for drinking instead of food. Tuco & Blonde is good for dinner with kids, better for cocktails on the patio during the summer.

Coda di Volpe is very good. Their brunch menu (sandwiches made with their pizza bread) is as good as their undersized pasta dishes. Ranked top 30 by Chicago Mag a few weeks back. I would say Armitage is in this tier of resto quality. Excellent for non-starred restaurants.

No dice on rezs at Frasca and Le Sud. Short notice, though.

I grabbed a reservation at Sochi, though. I think they got their first star this year. One of my favorites (I'm a sucker for Viet food, and their Slap Your Mama Fried Rice is bangin'), and I haven't tried their soups yet. Really looking forward to it, and I appreciate your help brainstorming!

Fair on Crosby's--food was hit or miss the last couple times we went. Great call on Coda.

I haven't made it to Sochi yet, and I've had their website open as one of many tabs on this computer for 2 months to remember to go. Appreciate the reminder--just snagged my own reservation there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2023, 09:48:27 AM »
Anybody been to Andros Taverna? I've always wondered why there wasn't a "modern" Greek spot finally got one &  damn to they pull it off well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2023, 09:56:27 AM »
We'll be in downtown Chicago tonight, staying at the Palmer House Hotel. Any recommendations for dinner in that area. My wife wanted to see a show for her birthday so we have some Les Mis tickets at the Cadillac Theater. Was thinking maybe pizza as we have our 4 kids with us and think that may be easier on the wallet.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2023, 10:02:31 AM »
We'll be in downtown Chicago tonight, staying at the Palmer House Hotel. Any recommendations for dinner in that area. My wife wanted to see a show for her birthday so we have some Les Mis tickets at the Cadillac Theater. Was thinking maybe pizza as we have our 4 kids with us and think that may be easier on the wallet.

Go up to Pequods or Pizza Oven Grinder for some unique staples. If you want neopolitan I'd suggest Forno Rosso (though the OG spot is better), for New England style go to Piece in Wicker Park, for tavern style that'd be any spot that remotely looks shady, debating the best usually comes to fisticuffs.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2023, 11:28:09 AM »
Went to Bronzeville Winery for my birthday. Strongly recommend.

The snapper with red curry was amazing.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2023, 11:33:54 AM »
Anybody been to Andros Taverna? I've always wondered why there wasn't a "modern" Greek spot finally got one &  damn to they pull it off well.

Andros is nice. Their brunch take on gyros x eggs is great, with pretty good spicy sauces.

Checking out Bar Mar tonight before Les Miz. We're pretty excited for dinner and a show... though I'll miss the Butler game.

In Mexico City, Quintonil is great. It inevitably gets compared to Pujol, which is also great, but Quintonil is more casual, fresh, and fun where Pujol is rooted in tradition and has more gravitas. I haven't been to Pujol for 3 years (and almost 10 years since our first visit), and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to both next time I'm in Mexico City. The wine pairing at Quintonil was outstanding, really nice program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2023, 11:40:45 AM »
Stopped by the new Odd Duck spot for a late dinner after the game on Saturday. Lost some of the hidden gem charm imo but the food was still some of the best Milwaukee has to offer!

Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2023, 11:42:36 AM »
Went to Bronzeville Winery for my birthday. Strongly recommend.

The snapper with red curry was amazing.

I've actually never been out in bronzeville, going to have to check it out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2023, 11:45:16 AM »
I've actually never been out in bronzeville, going to have to check it out.

It's a really cool space and not too far off LSD. They were hosting a Booth get together a little before we wrapped up. Normally not the DJ for dinner type, but their DJ was pretty great at keeping a good vibe there.

Would go back for sure--apparently they have a great brunch too.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2023, 11:56:29 AM »
Been to Andros a couple of times; my wife said that the branzino was by far the best she has ever had.  Food and drinks good.  Your generation, Galway.  Nice update on trad Greek.

And speaking of your generation, went to Trivoli Tavern Friday night.  Great location (Green St. off the cobblestone alley), very good food (Lentin restrictions applied, so we were a bit limited in choices).  Big restaurant, cool 4sort of old-timey decor, and, yes, we were very much the oldest in the room.  High recommend.

Stuck at a work related City Winery dinner tonight-wish we were trying Bronzeville Winery instead! (and hoping the MU game is out of reach before dinner starts).

What is best bar for watching the game in the West Randolph area?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2023, 11:57:28 AM »
It's a really cool space and not too far off LSD. They were hosting a Booth get together a little before we wrapped up. Normally not the DJ for dinner type, but their DJ was pretty great at keeping a good vibe there.

Would go back for sure--apparently they have a great brunch too.

You at Booth now?  Son is there.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2023, 12:51:47 PM »

Late. Next time, Bongiorno’s is less than a mile North up State to Wabash.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2023, 12:57:41 PM »
“Esperanza” for Southwest in South Bay. (Manhattan Beach)

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2023, 01:27:55 PM »
Stopped by the new Odd Duck spot for a late dinner after the game on Saturday. Lost some of the hidden gem charm imo but the food was still some of the best Milwaukee has to offer!

Odd Duck is still one of my favorites!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2023, 01:45:50 PM »

Sochi was fantastic. Absolutely loved it. Only criticism is we got their five spice short rib, which they brought out before the crab rice. After the five spice, couldn't taste anything in the crab rice. Took it home and it was delicious the next day cold. Just a little bit of a bummer that they didn't course it out better. Would go back anytime though.

Also hit Dear Margaret recently, but was disappointed. Ambience and service were great, food was just ok for the level of acclaim they get.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2023, 01:49:01 PM »
Sochi was fantastic. Absolutely loved it. Only criticism is we got their five spice short rib, which they brought out before the crab rice. After the five spice, couldn't taste anything in the crab rice. Took it home and it was delicious the next day cold. Just a little bit of a bummer that they didn't course it out better. Would go back anytime though.

Also hit Dear Margaret recently, but was disappointed. Ambience and service were great, food was just ok for the level of acclaim they get.

Sorry to hear that about DM, I personally love it. Maybe it's a quality control or maybe it's a love French food or not thing?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2023, 02:10:09 PM »
Too bad about DM. We'll be going soon because it's so close. I grab coffee at Heritage Bikes & Coffee next door on some weekend mornings. Good coffee, good breakfast sammies. They are SLAMMED some days, and it's mostly younger people. Really not what I'd expect from that stretch of Lincoln, but it's pretty exciting for them!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2023, 06:34:07 AM »
Tried Carnevore for the first time. It was...fine. Definitely not worth the price point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2023, 11:50:10 AM »
Any grub suggestions in San Diego?  Are there any MU bars down there?  Ty.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2023, 11:59:34 AM »
Sorry to hear that about DM, I personally love it. Maybe it's a quality control or maybe it's a love French food or not thing?

Love French food. Baguette was burnt, fried smelts were oversalted to the point of being borderline inedible. (I literally was brushing salt off them before eating.) So I think it was more QC that night.

I will say the smoked mushrooms in the squash carbonara and the roe on the schnitzel were excellent touches, and they made a fantastic butter to go on that burnt bread.

feedback