[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oh, so talented  (Read 2914 times)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Oh, so talented
« on: December 28, 2022, 03:27:57 PM »
We have a number of guys who are really doing a lot of things well. Don't know if it's coaching or if it's a reflection of a lot of individual hard work in the off-season, or as I suspect, a combination of both.

But 14 games into the season, for my money, Oso Ighodaro is the team MVP. His skill development is nothing short of amazing. I actually think he improves game-to-game. He goes aggressively to the rim; he is a great interior passer; he's a good cutter; he has a soft touch with the basketball; he's smart.

Don't think I'm going out on a limb, but I believe if he continues to improve the rest of this season and gets a little bigger and stronger over the summer, by the 2023-24 season, he will be regarded as one of the better big men in the country.

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Oh, so talented
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 03:44:30 PM »
We have a number of guys who are really doing a lot of things well. Don't know if it's coaching or if it's a reflection of a lot of individual hard work in the off-season, or as I suspect, a combination of both.

But 14 games into the season, for my money, Oso Ighodaro is the team MVP. His skill development is nothing short of amazing. I actually think he improves game-to-game. He goes aggressively to the rim; he is a great interior passer; he's a good cutter; he has a soft touch with the basketball; he's smart.

Don't think I'm going out on a limb, but I believe if he continues to improve the rest of this season and gets a little bigger and stronger over the summer, by the 2023-24 season, he will be regarded as one of the better big men in the country.

I am as impressed with Oso's improvement, starting with Todd Smith and his nutritionist, he was wimp 2 year ago, much like Ben Gold is today.  But I give credit for the
improvement to Shaka and changing his system to use his abilities.  He showed nothing much of any type of game last year.  This year, biggest improvement I think I
have ever seen an MU player has had from one year to the next.   Hard to believe he has become a bad free thrower shooter, think he has slight hitch in shooting.  With Nevada Smith, the shooting guru, has not fixed that yet.  Maybe next year or the year after.  He might even have a 15 foot shoot by then.  Next year with everybody back should be very good.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »

Well said!  I thought the same thing last night.  He is really playing on a whole new level since the season started. 

This whole team is so much fun to watch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »
I am as impressed with Oso's improvement, starting with Todd Smith and his nutritionist, he was wimp 2 year ago, much like Ben Gold is today.  But I give credit for the
improvement to Shaka and changing his system to use his abilities.  He showed nothing much of any type of game last year.  This year, biggest improvement I think I
have ever seen an MU player has had from one year to the next.   Hard to believe he has become a bad free thrower shooter, think he has slight hitch in shooting.  With Nevada Smith, the shooting guru, has not fixed that yet.  Maybe next year or the year after.  He might even have a 15 foot shoot by then.  Next year with everybody back should be very good.

I don't think it's accurate to say Oso "showed nothing much of any type of game last year."

After having all but not played as a freshman, he became a valuable rotation player as a soph. He had games of 22, 16 and 14 points; he had seven games with multiple blocked shots; he shot 68% from the floor and 74% on FTs; he had more assists than turnovers; and he played more minutes than Kuath did in a lot of games for an NCAA tournament team.

We'd love to have a "showed nothing much" backup center with that kind of production this season. (But we don't need one as much, because Oso already is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Kuath ever was.)

Has Oso gotten much better at everything (except FT shooting)? Yes he has. And thank goodness, because we've needed all the excellence we can get from him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 05:34:36 PM »
Oso was far better than many gave him credit for last season. No doubt he has gone to another level, but he showed a ton of potential last season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 05:41:45 PM »
Oso was far better than many gave him credit for last season. No doubt he has gone to another level, but he showed a ton of potential last season.

I gave him a ton of credit but I’m pretty smart
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
Oso showing nothing last year is an insane comment.

Its things that guys like him and Omax showed that made me confident we wouldnt be a trainwreck this year. Both are improved even more than I expected which is why we are looking so good for so many stretches of play this year.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 05:45:47 PM »
PG

I said multiple times, if Omax or Oso were incoming transfers folks would have loved the highlight film from last season. Enjoy the ride.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 05:52:52 PM »
i've liked oso right out of the chute.  247 had him rated a 4* coming out of high school.  interesting because in their summation, stated he could "hit the catch and shoot 3 pointers".  what happened to that?  in any event, he came here with some talent, but may be one of those who continue to develop as opposed to many who do not (eyn'a bo? ;D)  just to clarify-remember bo had a number of 4/5*'s who spun their wheels if not went stagnant

a couple of observations: oso has the right attitude, he's a smart kid, came to the right place where he feels comfortable, seems to see eye to eye with shaka and he is realizing success.  all of these are contagious.  good things will continue to come his way
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 05:58:37 PM »
I’m making this thread my #humblebrag

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 06:00:19 PM »
Rocket

Can I agree with you or not? I do not want to be accused of being follower. Great post.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 06:10:38 PM »
Rocket

Can I agree with you or not? I do not want to be accused of being follower. Great post.

I'l agree with him for you Goose.   ;D 

That aside, Oso should a lot of potential last year.  The development of all of our players under Shaka has been fantastic.  Pretty much top to bottom every guy on the roster is better this year than they were last year.  Shaka bet on improvement, and so far it looks like he made a great bet.

Now yes, if we'd landed a physical big, instead of Wrightsill it would have been a home run off-season.  That aside, Shaka has a very clear vision for the program, is a fantastic coach and leader of men.  The buy-in up and down the roster is excellent.

I thought Shaka pulling the box score from last year's Seton Hall game and calling out the total of 8 points scored by Oso, O-Max, Jop, Stevie, and Tyler from last year's game against Seton Hall was genius - to show the growth possible for the freshman on the roster, etc.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 06:12:26 PM »
PG

I said multiple times, if Omax or Oso were incoming transfers folks would have loved the highlight film from last season. Enjoy the ride.

These are facts. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 06:52:39 PM »
Some games, MU was better with Oso.   Some games MU was better with Kuath. Shaka had a good feel.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 07:39:31 PM »

He averaged 5/3 last year, if you told me he could average 15/10 this year, last 5 games, I would have said no way, I think all of you would agree his improvement is thru the roof.  Give Shaka all the credit in using his God given ability.  Last year they did not use him the way they are using him now.  Plus he was getting pushed around and fouling all the time.  Defensive he has shown great improvement by staying on the court, learned how to play D.  Finally, how many centers get 4 or 5 assists a game, not many.  MU gets more then there share of layups from Oso. Fun team to watch.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 09:25:58 PM »
  last year at first glance , i had some immediate b-ball love on omax.  he moved like a b-ball player.  he had b-ball DNA in him.  when we used to do those predictions, i used to put omax on top for 'bounds and/or points (when i didn't copy goose of course)  then oso came into the picture a little bit more

i believe they can feed off each other.  tyler dishing out the dimes like M&M's- if that happens...look out!  we may have ourselves a SI cover coming, the "gold dust twins" bringing it home to marquette...now that would be a good story

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 09:41:55 PM »
  last year at first glance , i had some immediate b-ball love on omax.  he moved like a b-ball player.  he had b-ball DNA in him.  when we used to do those predictions, i used to put omax on top for 'bounds and/or points (when i didn't copy goose of course)  then oso came into the picture a little bit more

i believe they can feed off each other.  tyler dishing out the dimes like M&M's- if that happens...look out!  we may have ourselves a SI cover coming, the "gold dust twins" bringing it home to marquette...now that would be a good story

Ala the 1970 or 1971 Sports Illustrated with Jim Chones and Larry McNeill standing on 12th Street near Wells or Kilbourn, representing Marquette's twin towers, with the twin spires of Gesu looming in the background. Great shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 09:42:11 PM »
Players improve.

It was the first full offseason together, under this system and this coaching staff. That so many of them have improved so much shouldn't be all that shocking. I mean, look at how much Lewis improved from his freshman year to his sophomore year, and he didn't have the advantages of playing in the same system that these guys have.

These players deserve a ton of credit because they must have worked tirelessly during the offseason, and the coaches obviously deserve lots of credit, too.

It's been a blast watching Oso be a distributor, Kam be a force going to the hoop, Kolek making floaters, O-Max becoming such a solid all-around player, Joplin being an offensive x-factor, the defense playing significantly better, everybody being so much more connected. Hard work, repetition, teamwork, improvement.

And the cool thing is that they're STILL getting better, both as individual players and as parts of this team IMHO. I'm just enjoying the journey.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 09:45:31 PM »
Ala the 1970 or 1971 Sports Illustrated with Jim Chones and Larry McNeill standing on 12th Street near Wells or Kilbourn, representing Marquette's twin towers, with the twin spires of Gesu looming in the background. Great shot.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2022, 09:49:45 PM »
Would MU be better with Lewis or not?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2022, 09:52:38 PM »

1. Already been discussed to death.

B. Doesn't matter. It's not an option.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2022, 09:56:49 PM »
DR.------Thanks for posting the shot but I think 50 years dulled my memory. Don't think that's Gesu but rather Milwaukee City Hall. Either way, great visual.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2022, 07:23:14 AM »
yeah, thanks doc!  i forgot all about that one, but milw. city hall?  why wasn't gesu used as the back drop?  but city hall?? 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2022, 07:24:48 AM »
yeah, thanks doc!  i forgot all about that one, but milw. city hall?  why wasn't gesu used as the back drop?  but city hall??

If they did that today, they’d get shot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2022, 07:33:57 AM »

We put someone in the league.  For recruits, that’s the equivalent of a S16.  Celebrate it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2022, 07:40:28 AM »

City Hall was an iconic symbol of the city of Milwaukee for years. I think even then it was the city's largest building. This image was about Marquette representing the city.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2022, 08:05:05 AM »
DR.------Thanks for posting the shot but I think 50 years dulled my memory. Don't think that's Gesu but rather Milwaukee City Hall. Either way, great visual.

MU should recreate that with Oso and OMax including the fountain...the theme being "Dunk City".

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2022, 08:43:59 AM »
If they did that today, they’d get shot
You can just get shot going to an MU game....
Goal is National Championship

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 09:26:23 AM »
You can just get shot going to an MU game....

Stay safe, eat at the MECCA.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2022, 09:33:22 AM »
Planning on it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2022, 09:35:01 AM »
MU should recreate that with Oso and OMax including the fountain...the theme being "Dunk City".

Let's make Fiserv be what Providence called their arena for years- "the Dunk"- when they show up for our rematch.

Brew, thanks for your detailed reply to my earlier post.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2022, 09:45:00 AM »

City Hall was an iconic symbol of the city of Milwaukee for years. I think even then it was the city's largest building. This image was about Marquette representing the city.

It was the tallest building in the world for a hot second
Maigh Eo for Sam