[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hall Pass  (Read 5526 times)

tower912

• All American
Hall Pass
« on: December 27, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »
1.  Hall shoot.  Hall miss.  Hall rebound.
2.  Watched the game with the sound off, chatting with my daughter.  Her:  'Why can't Marquette get a rebound?' 
3.  Nice to see Sean hit some shots.
4.  Omax goes out in the first half. Team goes to crap.
5.  I did not like the flow with 4 guards.
6.  Shaka tried to finish the game without Omax and Kolek.   Doh.  Smart enough to change his mind.
7.  MU won a conference game against an average team.  Huzzah.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: Hall Pass
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 08:57:11 PM »
Shaka needs to learn how to get up the ass of the referees more often. And the Big East needs to get better referees.

This is a good team. Let’s park in February / March.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 08:59:29 PM »
I am pleased with a double digit win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 09:02:54 PM »
Shaka needs to learn how to get up the ass of the referees more often. And the Big East needs to get better referees.

Well said 5DP.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 09:03:06 PM »
This offense is really good when they keep playing offense and moving the ball.

Stop slowing it down unless youre up 40.

Will win a lot of games.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »
They took care of business and avoided a Q3 loss. Seton Hall is terrible. Need to sweep them this year.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 09:05:23 PM »
Great win by Marquette.  Good momentum going into Villanova.  Go Marquette rah rah!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 09:05:57 PM »
8.  SilverWarrior analysis sucked

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 09:07:24 PM »
Marquette's defense was really good.   Got in passing lanes, disruptive, stayed with their man most of the time.   A clinic really.  Until the shot went up.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 09:09:51 PM »
They took care of business and avoided a Q3 loss. Seton Hall is terrible. Need to sweep them this year.
Agreed…..but they will win some games this year….thankfully not tonight.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 09:12:00 PM »
Good defense and great energy tonight. Sean Jones going for a turkey?? Loved it. Too bad shaka had to put starters back in to finish it out. On to the next!

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 09:12:21 PM »
Avoided the misstep at home, which could easily have happened after Christmas. But the rebounding is going to be a problem throughout Big East play. Oso is the only guy we have with any ability to clean the glass.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 09:15:55 PM »
Avoided the misstep at home, which could easily have happened after Christmas. But the rebounding is going to be a problem throughout Big East play. Oso is the only guy we have with any ability to clean the glass.

VS UCONN it could be a real prob. 

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 09:16:15 PM »

All five need to crash the defensive glass, even if the break suffers a bit.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 09:23:31 PM »
Depth was a problem
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 09:37:38 PM »
I enjoyed tonight’s game. Winning by a nice margin in a Big East game is a good thing and a lot of fun.

Has been a good season so far from my viewpoint .
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 07:45:32 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 09:48:19 PM »
++ Sorry, everyone. This win doesn't count because it wasn't a close game. We only get the easy wins, and easy wins no longer count.

++ Hell of a defensive performance by Stevie. Richmond is a pretty good basketball player -- 45 the last two games against X and Prov, and 17 earlier this season at Kansas -- and Mitchell stayed in front of him, hounded him, clearly frustrated him. It's yet another example of why Stevie will continue to start every game for Marquette. For all the talk about the defensive prowess of guys like Derrick and Morsell, I think I'd take Stevie's D over anybody we've had since Jimmy.

++ Oso is such an incredible passer. As Bardo said, he's a "luxury" for a coach to be able to deploy. When he and Kolek are on the floor together, the ball just moves so much better. Just another great all-around game for Oso -- scoring, rebounding, blocks, passing. Kolek had some awesome dimes, too.

++ Important buzzer-beaters by Joplin and Sean -- each happened at a juncture when momentum was starting to shift. Outstanding contribution by Sean in the second half. Good work by Ross in the first half. Gold gave us solid minutes, too. That's exactly what we need from our freshmen.

++ Kam had a few sensational circus drives to the hoop. Great imagination to his offensive game, and he has the ability to finish, too. So much fun to watch. Shaka drew up 3 plays to get him wide-open 3s that rimmed out, as well.

++ Strong game for Shaka. He got good shooters a lot of open looks; our offense had great flow almost all night, especially when when the starters were in; our defense had stretches where it was impenetrable; we responded every time Seton Hall made a run at us.

++ It's frustrating watching otherwise outstanding defensive possessions get ruined by us not getting boards. And we gave up another FT rebound, which pretty much should never happen.

++ Bardo only said "I'll tell you what ... " a half-dozen times. An off night for him!

++ The whole thing about "Seton Hall not wanting to start 0-3" ... well, no shyte. Like Marquette would've felt perfectly fine losing a home game to start 1-2? It was a stoopid storyline -- even stoopider than the "Creighton has been losing so now they're really mad" storyline. Teams at this level want to win because they want to win because they want to win.

++ We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 09:50:36 PM »
I enjoyed tonight’s game. Winning by a ice margin in a Big East game is a good thing and a lot of fun.

Has been a good season so far from my viewpoint .

Excellent post! I agree.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2022, 09:53:36 PM »
I am pleased with a double digit win.

Another failed opportunity to win a close game.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2022, 09:55:27 PM »
Felt like I was the only one boo-ing Mamu when they showed him on the big screen, that shouldn’t have been the case.

As for the game, felt like we should have won by more but can’t complain about a 14 point win (although I know some will).

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2022, 09:55:54 PM »
Excellent post! I agree.
Yes ice game

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2022, 09:58:01 PM »
Made me smile - COLE deep rooted philosophies here.

+ The whole thing about "Seton Hall not wanting to start 0-3" ... well, no shyte. Like Marquette would've felt perfectly fine losing a home game to start 1-2? It was a stoopid storyline -- even stoopider than the "Creighton has been losing so now they're really mad" storyline. Teams at this level want to win because they want to win because they want to win.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2022, 09:58:14 PM »
Well said MU82, not much more to add.

A lot of positives and one glaring negative, good spot to be in before the new year.

Another wide margin win at home. Not only protecting home turf, but also making the computers happy.

Really getting to the point where there seems to be no way a .500 in conference MU squad doesn’t dance. Not that anyone wants .500 anymore, but the closer to the goal the better because crazy things can happen

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2022, 10:01:55 PM »
Game never felt in doubt against a Big East opponent, I’ll take that any day of the week. Not the prettiest, but got the job done.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2022, 10:15:26 PM »
MU 82, I really felt being at the game that Stevie took Richmond out of the game, MU did a nice job of doubling him on the pick and roll.  He made a difference.  Loved the passing of this team, give credit to Shaka to understand the talent he has.  Oso really can run the floor.  Kolek did not look to score, but made some beautiful assists.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2022, 10:18:27 PM »
Game never felt in doubt against a Big East opponent, I’ll take that any day of the week. Not the prettiest, but got the job done.

Very true...and Seton Hall and their "bigs" were thought to be a bad matchup for us by some.  We got jobbed in Providence and should be 3-0 in Big East.  We most definitely will finish top 4 in the league, and I think we probably end up 2nd.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2022, 10:19:27 PM »
Felt like I was the only one boo-ing Mamu when they showed him on the big screen, that shouldn’t have been the case.

I did enjoy that they only named his high school and the Bucks when they announced him in attendance.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2022, 10:26:16 PM »
Depth was a problem

!!!!!!!!!!

Starters outscored them by a lot. OMax out for second foul...9-0 run. OMax and Oso out with 3:45 left in half and 14 down to 4 in a blink before Joplin desperation 3 at the horn. Late 19 pt lead down to 10 when starters out. The +/- for this game have to be extreme.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2022, 10:51:37 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!

Starters outscored them by a lot. OMax out for second foul...9-0 run. OMax and Oso out with 3:45 left in half and 14 down to 4 in a blink before Joplin desperation 3 at the horn. Late 19 pt lead down to 10 when starters out. The +/- for this game have to be extreme.

Overall, solid performance after the break and some great play by the core guys. Nice to have Sean Jones see a few go down just when it seemed he may be getting frustrated by not finishing several times in a row.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2022, 11:26:39 PM »
Was at the game, and I did feel like during timeouts he was over getting on their case quite a bit more than usual.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2022, 03:42:36 AM »
++ Bardo only said "I'll tell you what ... " a half-dozen times. An off night for him!

He is "elite" at saying "I'll tell you what..."
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2022, 03:44:25 AM »
Sean Jones going for a turkey?? Loved it.

He was dreadful all night until he hit those three.  Love his confidence.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2022, 05:28:34 AM »
It’s a bad win that will cost us seeding if Seton Hall loses anymore games
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2022, 06:19:09 AM »
VS UCONN it could be a real prob.
that and the ft delta.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2022, 06:58:30 AM »
He is "elite" at saying "I'll tell you what..."

Ha - you're right. Everything is effin' "elite" with him!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2022, 07:02:03 AM »
Start an 'Elite' drinking game next time.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2022, 07:44:56 AM »
Start an 'Elite' drinking game next time.
This is not an elite Scoop thread.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2022, 07:54:44 AM »
It’s a bad win that will cost us seeding if Seton Hall loses anymore games
Please don't get an ulcer over it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2022, 07:58:19 AM »
This is not an elite Scoop thread.
What makes a scoop thread elite?  Tangents?  Unhinged raving?  Accusations of inadequate fanhood?   Alcohol?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2022, 08:04:23 AM »
What makes a scoop thread elite?  Tangents?  Unhinged raving?  Accusations of inadequate fanhood?   Alcohol?
Politics, religion, guns, and now wine apparently.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2022, 08:16:00 AM »
Stevie Mitchell had a really good game. Took their best offensive player out of the game for long stretches. While he is not a great offensive threat, he is an amazing defensive player. I previously thought Mitchell was in danger of losing some minutes to Chase Ross if he could not score a bit more. Now, I do not think so at all. What he does defensively is too valuable. And he does seem to be thinking about scoring a bit more recently.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »
He did.  He was mentioned for SOTG for the job he did on defense.  That is valid.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2022, 08:55:37 AM »
Stevie Mitchell had a really good game. Took their best offensive player out of the game for long stretches. While he is not a great offensive threat, he is an amazing defensive player. I previously thought Mitchell was in danger of losing some minutes to Chase Ross if he could not score a bit more. Now, I do not think so at all. What he does defensively is too valuable. And he does seem to be thinking about scoring a bit more recently.

Good thing Shaka and the staff have known this all along.  Scoop was wanting his minutes cut and given elsewhere.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2022, 08:59:16 AM »

Stevie or Chase needs to be on the floor at all times in a tight game. Their defense is a game changer as compared to the other guards on the floor.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2022, 09:38:13 AM »
Stevie or Chase needs to be on the floor at all times in a tight game. Their defense is a game changer as compared to the other guards on the floor.

Right now our entire starting 5 needs to be on the floor at all times during a tight game. Forget about Gold or Joplin for the time being. Chase and Sean have their moments and will both be very good but they’re not ready for prime time just yet. I could see subbing them in for an offense/defense situation, but only then.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2022, 09:43:09 AM »
Again, Shaka is best to determine who should be on the floor at any given time.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2022, 11:01:00 AM »

No, he isn’t.  He wasn’t around in ‘77
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2022, 11:02:29 AM »

++ We Are Marquette!

Bardo was also not happy with the refereeing from the Providence game and made sure to work in his game call.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2022, 11:12:04 AM »

When the old guys start remembering their room numbers in Schroeder Hall, then it's truly elite.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2022, 11:16:23 AM »
When the old guys start remembering their room numbers in Schroeder Hall, then it's truly elite.
McCormick 727
Tower 912 (two years)
2132 Michigan.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »
McCormick 727
Tower 912 (two years)
2132 Michigan.

No Schroeder? Not elite.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
I have learned to live with the shame.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2022, 11:32:24 AM »
McCormick 727
Tower 912 (two years)
2132 Michigan.

I always thought Tower912 was your stage name

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
They are all stage names. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2022, 11:51:15 AM »
I have learned to live with the shame.

#metoo

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2022, 12:36:53 PM »
Right now our entire starting 5 needs to be on the floor at all times during a tight game. Forget about Gold or Joplin for the time being. Chase and Sean have their moments and will both be very good but they’re not ready for prime time just yet. I could see subbing them in for an offense/defense situation, but only then.

This. Shaka tried to give the young'uns a chance to close out the final four minutes, went with a lineup of Gold, Kam, Ross, Joplin and Mitchell. Thought a 17-19 point lead would be a decent time to give it a whirl. But SH didn't stop playing and cut it to 12 in about a minute, and Shaka went back to his starting 5. Which was obviously the right move.

Well, yes. See my response to Lenny, who was as right as Shaka was.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2022, 12:50:16 PM »
Herman approval

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2022, 12:56:25 PM »
This. Shaka tried to give the young'uns a chance to close out the final four minutes, went with a lineup of Gold, Kam, Ross, Joplin and Mitchell. Thought a 17-19 point lead would be a decent time to give it a whirl. But SH didn't stop playing and cut it to 12 in about a minute, and Shaka went back to his starting 5. Which was obviously the right move.

Well, yes. See my response to Lenny, who was as right as Shaka was.

Regardless of who is on the floor at the end, they need to run their regular offense vs taking the air out of the ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2022, 02:02:49 PM »

* McCormick 915
* Schroeder 928, I think - (I wanted in the same wing with my McCormick 9th wing friends, but I had a crappy lottery number and was fortunate to end up on the same floor.)
* 15&1/2 Street & Kilbourn for 2 years.   Since torn down and appears to be the Alpha Phi Eta Mu Chapter House which is a shame because we were the anti-fraternity and used to borrow the rotating snow fence to charge an entrance fee and hold parties in the back parking lot.  WTF?  The half-way house next door where a bunch of nuts lived is now called "The Ritz on Kilbourn".  Go figure?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2022, 02:21:47 PM »
Some of y'all sound like ya lived at Cobeen, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2022, 02:26:37 PM »
On a good weekend.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
VIOLENCE!

feedback