collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Alex Jones  (Read 2210 times)

MU82

• All American
Alex Jones
« on: December 02, 2022, 10:24:40 AM »
Taking a page from similar m-f-ing scumbags and thieving corporations, this douchenozzle is trying to avoid his financial responsibility by filing for personal bankruptcy.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alex-jones-files-bankruptcy-following-sandy-hook-verdict-court-filing-2022-12-02/

I hope those who are easily outraged by those who "fail to take personal responsibility" are plenty outraged by this.

For years and years, Alex Jones deeply hurt already-grieving people by telling lies about their murdered children. It's not easy to find bigger examples of scumbaggery than that. He was found guilty -- and even finally admitted it -- and then was ordered to pay some $1 billion in damages.

And now he's trying to avoid his financial responsibility. Because, of course.

If this criminal can't pay what he owes, he should go to jail. No bail until he does.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Alex Jones
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 10:26:52 AM »
Taking a page from similar m-f-ing scumbags and thieving corporations, this douchenozzle is trying to avoid his financial responsibility by filing for personal bankruptcy.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/alex-jones-files-bankruptcy-following-sandy-hook-verdict-court-filing-2022-12-02/

I hope those who are easily outraged by those who "fail to take personal responsibility" are plenty outraged by this.

For years and years, Alex Jones deeply hurt already-grieving people by telling lies about their murdered children. It's not easy to find bigger examples of scumbaggery than that. He was found guilty -- and even finally admitted it -- and then was ordered to pay some $1 billion in damages.

And now he's trying to avoid his financial responsibility. Because, of course.

If this criminal can't pay what he owes, he should go to jail. No bail until he does.

Amen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 11:18:15 AM »
Being Alex Jones, this will affect him not at all.   It will just get him out of paying the suffering souls he attacked.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 11:51:01 AM »
He is still raking in the cash on a daily basis.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 04:58:29 PM »
Alex is going to be penniless for the rest of his life (as he should be).  Sending him to jail isn't necessary unless you want to send a message that $1 billion dollars can't.

I get the idea of being punitive and feeling like 'justice is served' by throwing someone in jail, but he isn't a danger to society.

He should have to work and continue to pay those families with every dollar he owns and a large portion of what he earns for the rest of his life.

He should certainly not be allowed to have a media platform though.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 05:18:05 PM »
He has plenty of money.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 05:48:30 PM »
He has plenty of money.

He won't.  You do know he can't just hide from those damages, right?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 05:59:29 PM »
He won't.  You do know he can't just hide from those damages, right?

He should go to jail if he doesn’t pay.

I don’t know how the gov’t can get their hands on off-shore money.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 06:52:28 PM »

Debtors prisons to own the right?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »

I don’t know how the gov’t can get their hands on off-shore money.

Endentured servitude next on the road to full authoritarian control, hey. 

Saying the quiet part out loud.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 08:36:25 PM »

We already have that in our prison system.

Four US states have voted to remove language from their state constitutions that said slavery is legal as a criminal punishment... in 2022.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 08:45:42 PM »
Sending people to prison for failing to pay civil judgments is a very bad idea and will impact minorities worse than others.

Alex Jones is a ‘bag. There are better ways to stick it to him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 10:23:43 PM »
Alex is going to be penniless for the rest of his life (as he should be).  Sending him to jail isn't necessary unless you want to send a message that $1 billion dollars can't.

I get the idea of being punitive and feeling like 'justice is served' by throwing someone in jail, but he isn't a danger to society.

He should have to work and continue to pay those families with every dollar he owns and a large portion of what he earns for the rest of his life.

He should certainly not be allowed to have a media platform though.

A reasonable post, Hards. But how is he going to pay those families anything meaningful if he is denied his media platform?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 10:57:16 PM »

So your point is that people should get to decide whether they obey a court order or not?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 10:59:58 PM »
Sending people to prison for failing to pay civil judgments is a very bad idea and will impact minorities worse than others.

How about parents who refuse to pay child support?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2022, 10:18:51 AM »
A reasonable post, Hards. But how is he going to pay those families anything meaningful if he is denied his media platform?

That's the great Catch 22.

The money that those families are owed will never be paid regardless.  I would wager that the families would rather live their lives without Alex Jones  in the media space than be financially compensated for the next 20 years (probably less, the man could drop dead any day) while he retains his media platform. 

The ruling handed down by the court was never about financially compensating the families, it was about crippling Alex Jones' ability to continue doing what he does and getting rich from it.  He can clearly continue doing what he wants.  He can keep running infowars, but he will do it voluntarily.  His profits and paychecks will go to the families.  Obviously, this gives Alex a choice.  He can keep doing what he does and pay his earnings back to the families until he gets to his $1 billion number, or he can just shut it down and live out his life in obscurity.  Which was sort of the goal all along.

Now, I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Alex.  He's a slime ball and they don't go away quietly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2022, 09:48:42 PM »

What better ways?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 12:56:25 PM »
How about parents who refuse to pay child support?
Pretty sure child support is covered in the criminal codes of most states

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 03:26:35 PM »
Pretty sure child support is covered in the criminal codes of most states

I'd venture to guess that way more people in jail for failure to pay support are there on civil contempt findings than criminal charges.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2022, 06:37:08 AM »
That's the great Catch 22.

The money that those families are owed will never be paid regardless.  I would wager that the families would rather live their lives without Alex Jones  in the media space than be financially compensated for the next 20 years (probably less, the man could drop dead any day) while he retains his media platform. 

The ruling handed down by the court was never about financially compensating the families, it was about crippling Alex Jones' ability to continue doing what he does and getting rich from it.  He can clearly continue doing what he wants.  He can keep running infowars, but he will do it voluntarily.  His profits and paychecks will go to the families.  Obviously, this gives Alex a choice.  He can keep doing what he does and pay his earnings back to the families until he gets to his $1 billion number, or he can just shut it down and live out his life in obscurity.  Which was sort of the goal all along.

Now, I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Alex.  He's a slime ball and they don't go away quietly.

Would there be recourse if he moved to Dubai or Cyprus and ran InfoWars from there or got paid in Bitcoin?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 09:52:12 AM »
Would there be recourse if he moved to Dubai or Cyprus and ran InfoWars from there or got paid in Bitcoin?

I'm not smart enough to know about the foreign jursidiction thing, but I'm pretty sure getting paid in crypto wouldn't help him.  Pretty sure that even though Bitcoin is considered personal property and not currency, but it would still be income equal to the value of the Bitcoin when it was transferred to him, and he could be forced to turn that over. 

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 01:09:49 PM »
What better ways?

Liens. Garnishments. Levies. Make his life a living hell (and they will). I wouldn't care one iota if Jones were sent to prison -- he's a bad guy -- but the remedy for failing to pay a civil judgment shouldn't normally be prison. This isn't a political debate, that would just be a horrible broad policy affecting millions of people designed to stick it to one piece of crap.

The child support example is one that is either criminal or invites contempt of court because it implicates child endangerment. Weird that this is even a debate.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 01:18:37 PM »
Liens. Garnishments. Levies. Make his life a living hell (and they will). I wouldn't care one iota if Jones were sent to prison -- he's a bad guy -- but the remedy for failing to pay a civil judgment shouldn't normally be prison. This isn't a political debate, that would just be a horrible broad policy affecting millions of people designed to stick it to one piece of crap.

The child support example is one that is either criminal or invites contempt of court because it implicates child endangerment. Weird that this is even a debate.
Thank you. You said my point much better than me.

Do people know who would be affected most by reinstituting a debtor's prison? The poor.

Also, with this POS, order him each month into court for a proceeding supplemental hearing. If he fails to appear, then order a body attachment (or whatver that jurisdiction calls it)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:21:30 PM by lawdog77 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2022, 01:32:26 PM »

Acknowledging that jail is often a necessary last resort when it comes to child support deadbeats = let's reinstate debtors' prison is quite a leap. Like, Evel Knievel over Snake River.
And again, while it is possible the bring criminal charges against deadbeats, the great majority of incarcerations are handled via civil contempt, for obvious reasons. If ghe ultimate goal is to compel payment, bringing in another set of lawyers and another judge and another monthslong legal process is neither the most efficient or most effective means.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »
Acknowledging that jail is often a necessary last resort when it comes to child support deadbeats = let's reinstate debtors' prison is quite a leap. Like, Evel Knievel over Snake River.
And again, while it is possible the bring criminal charges against deadbeats, the great majority of incarcerations are handled via civil contempt, for obvious reasons. If ghe ultimate goal is to compel payment, bringing in another set of lawyers and another judge and another monthslong legal process is neither the most efficient or most effective means.
Unless I am misreading, you are shifting goalposts.  Some here are arguing to throw him in jail if he does not pay this judgment. I apologize if you are not advocating that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2022, 02:41:56 PM »
Unless I am misreading, you are shifting goalposts.  Some here are arguing to throw him in jail if he does not pay this judgment. I apologize if you are not advocating that.

I am not advocating for that.
I only jumped when Babyblue wrote that locking people up for failing to pay civil judgements is a very bad idea. In most civil matters, I agree. But I think child support is a notable exception. From my (albiet limited) experience, many people who face jail for nonpayment of child support are in that position because they don't want to pay, not because they can't pay.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2022, 03:02:52 PM »
I am not advocating for that.
I only jumped when Babyblue wrote that locking people up for failing to pay civil judgements is a very bad idea. In most civil matters, I agree. But I think child support is a notable exception. From my (albiet limited) experience, many people who face jail for nonpayment of child support are in that position because they don't want to pay, not because they can't pay.
As Baby Blue explained its really apples and oranges.

My experience is the opposite. Those that have the money to pay, are generally garnished (except the job hoppers), many of those that are jailed are done so because they don't have the $$, and dont have the $$ to hire an attorney to make an appearance to stop it.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2022, 03:23:40 PM »
I hope Jones is punished to the greatest extent possible under the law. And I wouldn't be upset if he stepped in front bus on accident.

If I step back and try to be objective,  I don't think he is a direct threat to anyone that would make me feel comfortable having the tax payers fund his time in jail. As most have pointed out, debtor prisons are a thing of the past for good reason.

If he earns money, take it. If he can't make money then I hope the victims of his disgusting actions and words don't need the money. I think I'd hope for that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2022, 03:26:54 PM »

My experience is the opposite. Those that have the money to pay, are generally garnished (except the job hoppers), many of those that are jailed are done so because they don't have the $$, and dont have the $$ to hire an attorney to make an appearance to stop it.

An actual lawyer vs the World's Smartest Mantm.  Stay tuned to see who will win. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2022, 04:08:30 PM »
An actual lawyer vs the World's Smartest Mantm.  Stay tuned to see who will win.

That's insensitive.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2022, 04:26:21 PM »

You don't need an attorney to dispute a rule to show cause, and if you want one and can't afford one, there are options like Prairie State.
It's very, very unlikely that a judge is sending someone to jail if they pay what they can while showing an inability to pay the full amount. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2022, 04:49:13 PM »
You don't need an attorney to dispute a rule to show cause, and if you want one and can't afford one, there are options like Prairie State.
It's very, very unlikely that a judge is sending someone to jail if they pay what they can while showing an inability to pay the full amount.
Sorry, but that's not how it works in the real world. Most of the people that cannot pay do not understand what a rule to show cause is, nor do they understand that an ability to pay is the critical question in the contempt hearing. They simply freak out and dont appear, or go in front of a "hanging judge" who follows the policies of "this is not a criminal contempt charge, so the only basic due process (notice and opportunity to speak) are given.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2022, 05:22:26 PM »
Sorry, but that's not how it works in the real world. Most of the people that cannot pay do not understand what a rule to show cause is, nor do they understand that an ability to pay is the critical question in the contempt hearing. They simply freak out and dont appear, or go in front of a "hanging judge" who follows the policies of "this is not a criminal contempt charge, so the only basic due process (notice and opportunity to speak) are given.

I'll just say this and end it.
You literally are shifting the goalposts here. You've gone from "people are jailed because they can't afford to pay and can't get an attorney" to "people are jailed because they freak out and skip court."
In that case, it's not the inability to pay that lands them in jail.
And I don't think one needs to understand the legal definition of rule to show cause to understand an order that says "show up in court on this date and explain why you aren't paying child support." And if they really can't understand that, why are they freaking out?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2022, 06:29:04 PM »

I'm even less of a legal expert than a few others here, so I'll defer to you. Although if both he and his company are declared bankrupt, and if he finds some clandestine way to hide his money, then I don't know what you are garnishing or levying.

I guess I just like the idea of Alex Effen Jones making "special friends" in prison.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2022, 06:31:07 PM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2022, 06:45:54 PM »
I'll just say this and end it.
You literally are shifting the goalposts here. You've gone from "people are jailed because they can't afford to pay and can't get an attorney" to "people are jailed because they freak out and skip court."
In that case, it's not the inability to pay that lands them in jail.
And I don't think one needs to understand the legal definition of rule to show cause to understand an order that says "show up in court on this date and explain why you aren't paying child support." And if they really can't understand that, why are they freaking out?
I wouldn't know where to find a goalpost, much less shift it. To your point, why are they freaking out? Because they don't have the money to pay, and don't understand the hearing process. If you have ever read a show cause, they are not that easy to understand. Many who dont show up, think they are going to jail irregardless of what happens at the hearing. There's a pretty informative law review article from cornell covering this topic, and how many indigent are being jailed for this.

Should those that refuse to pay child support be jailed? In my opinion, hell yes. Unfortunately, the system is broken. Many who cannot pay are jailed, while others who can don't pay the consequences.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 06:50:16 PM by lawdog77 »