Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OK, so how good is Marquette?  (Read 6205 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
Re: OK, so how good is Marquette?
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2022, 04:17:01 PM »
Sustained excellence is critical. We have had big wins before. Villanova comes to mind, especially when we beat them in Philadelphia.

We haven’t sustained it. We faded at some point along the road. Yesterday was great but it will mean far more if it is the foundation win on our team’s return to glory.

Marquette has had too many false starts that I won’t say we are back. That’s for our coach and our team to say in the coming days and weeks.

+1 - See previous post

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »
The important piece I take from this is that they only attempted 16 3’s the entire game.  That shows that they were much more aggressive in taking the ball to the hoop.

Well, except that we took 25 3’s, or 41.7% of our FGAs. For the year, we’re at 45.1%
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2022, 04:44:15 PM »
I've said this before and I'll update again for newer Scoopers. All Marquette fans can be divided into three groups:

1) The Sweater Vests -- We're starting to die off. We don't just recall the McGuire years, we lived them. We saw some incredible basketball. Many of us were on campus in March 1977. We think Marquette should be a dominant team in college basketball, up there with Duke, North Carolina, Villanova, Kentucky and others. We've gotten very quiet in recent years. Some of us ponied up the cash to tank Wojo. We loved last night because it was nostalgic. It reminded us of our youth. We hope we see a Natty again before we join Coach Al on the Warrior cloud in the sky. We worship Al McGuire and long for being a Top 5 team again.

2) The Window Wags -- These are folks who came of Golden Eagle age during the time of O'Neill, Crean or Buzz. Each was a short window. They saw the beginnings of what could have been a return to glory only to see our coaches disappear to Indiana, Tennessee or Virginia Tech. They know kinda what we can be but have never seen a consistent winner because our coaches take a hike. These are the folks that will be converted to sweater vests if Shaka is the real thing. Last night was a "we're baaaaaack" moment for these folks. These folks worship Dwyane Wade and grasp the "one shining moment" against Kentucky.

3) Wojo's Wusses -- This could easily be Deane's Dreams or Dukiet's dumps. These folks had to live through some of the worst basketball ever played at Marquette. They cry at the whisper "Tony Reeder" or "Hausergate." They also encompass the later Majerus and Raymonds years. We almost lost the program in these years and these are the folks grasping on to any straw they can. They'll be fine if we're consistent and Shaka stays. Last night was a holy crap moment for these folks because they rarely saw anything like it. These folks don't worship anyone and are cynical. I know I would be if I grew up on this basketball.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2022, 04:52:01 PM »
Well, except that we took 25 3’s, or 41.7% of our FGAs. For the year, we’re at 45.1%

We also took 15 free throws.  And how many 3’s in the last 8 minutes of the game when it was over?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2022, 05:12:02 PM »
6-16 first half.   12-25 for the game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2022, 05:24:22 PM »
We also took 15 free throws.  And how many 3’s in the last 8 minutes of the game when it was over?

Huh? My comment was in response to you saying we took 16 3’s “the entire game”. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2022, 08:47:32 PM »
Way too much reading l, Arby's!
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2022, 10:49:56 AM »
I've said this before and I'll update again for newer Scoopers. All Marquette fans can be divided into three groups:

1) The Sweater Vests -- We're starting to die off. We don't just recall the McGuire years, we lived them. We saw some incredible basketball. Many of us were on campus in March 1977. We think Marquette should be a dominant team in college basketball, up there with Duke, North Carolina, Villanova, Kentucky and others. We've gotten very quiet in recent years. Some of us ponied up the cash to tank Wojo. We loved last night because it was nostalgic. It reminded us of our youth. We hope we see a Natty again before we join Coach Al on the Warrior cloud in the sky. We worship Al McGuire and long for being a Top 5 team again.

2) The Window Wags -- These are folks who came of Golden Eagle age during the time of O'Neill, Crean or Buzz. Each was a short window. They saw the beginnings of what could have been a return to glory only to see our coaches disappear to Indiana, Tennessee or Virginia Tech. They know kinda what we can be but have never seen a consistent winner because our coaches take a hike. These are the folks that will be converted to sweater vests if Shaka is the real thing. Last night was a "we're baaaaaack" moment for these folks. These folks worship Dwyane Wade and grasp the "one shining moment" against Kentucky.

3) Wojo's Wusses -- This could easily be Deane's Dreams or Dukiet's dumps. These folks had to live through some of the worst basketball ever played at Marquette. They cry at the whisper "Tony Reeder" or "Hausergate." They also encompass the later Majerus and Raymonds years. We almost lost the program in these years and these are the folks grasping on to any straw they can. They'll be fine if we're consistent and Shaka stays. Last night was a holy crap moment for these folks because they rarely saw anything like it. These folks don't worship anyone and are cynical. I know I would be if I grew up on this basketball.

Idk if it can be this perfectly summed up but I get the broader point you're making. Though if a person went to school from 92-96 or 93-97 they saw MU make the tournament 3 times, make a march run, and make an NIT championship. Are they in group 2 or 3? Technically they saw more Deane which puts them in 3 but saw more basketball success than a person who was at MU 90-94 who would be in 2 which is odd considering the rest of 2 is 01-02 to 12-13
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »
Idk if it can be this perfectly summed up but I get the broader point you're making. Though if a person went to school from 92-96 or 93-97 they saw MU make the tournament 3 times, make a march run, and make an NIT championship. Are they in group 2 or 3? Technically they saw more Deane which puts them in 3 but saw more basketball success than a person who was at MU 90-94 who would be in 2 which is odd considering the rest of 2 is 01-02 to 12-13

Important to note that those of us in those time frame are the LAST WARRIORS. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2022, 11:15:10 AM »

Also, old.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2022, 11:17:28 AM »

Or the first Golden Eagles  :P
Maigh Eo for Sam

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2022, 11:26:33 AM »
As in several Olympic sports eg gymnastics, you drop the highest and the lowest scores and that's where this team lies. The Baylor win was a 10. So far, no 0s.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2022, 02:16:08 PM »
Wisconsin is obviously an interesting matchup for many reasons, but that ND game is really important to get a noncon road win.  You take out that unexpected MSU stomping and what a mediocre season so far.

Should have probably lost to Radford (#239 KenPom).  Need a 3 with 15 seconds left to sneak past Lipscomb (#164 KenPom) at home.  1 possession game late against Youngstown St (#156 KenPom).  Then also lost soundly at home to St Bonny (#106 KenPom with losses to Canisus and So Dak St).  R

Really a team MU should handle.  Take care of that, this team is 9-2 entering conference play with 2 losses that look better and better by the day.  Miss St probably enters SEC play undefeated, same with Purdue with the meat of the B10 (not counting the 2 random early B10 games in December against Minny and NU they probably roll in)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2022, 03:01:36 PM »
I believe we are better than I thought we would be.
I do not think we played as well as we should have in our buy games, which worried me some.
Baylor game makes me very optimistic.
I have watched Purdue several times, since we played them. The fact that we almost beat them at Purdue makes me optimistic about this team.
Third place behind Uconn & Creighton is probably the best we can hope for.
I am predicting 4th place. I will be back down to 9th, if we lose to Badgers.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2022, 09:38:29 PM »

What about those of us in the Hank era?
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2022, 10:36:26 PM »

You’re kind but sad.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2022, 08:19:04 AM »

also a sweatervest

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2022, 08:31:27 AM »
Technically, the Raymond era started before the McGuire era.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2022, 08:37:03 AM »
You’re kind but sad.
Lenny, I have missed you actually making a joke.  Well done.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2022, 08:46:30 AM »
Well said. As a proud Sweater Vester, I remember the Michigan game in 1971 and glad the announcers mentioned it. What a feeling that was back then, what a feeling that was again. What a treat for the new student body to see it in person.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2022, 12:10:39 PM »
I think this question becomes much muddier and confusing with a loss tomorrow.

We go from a major high in the Baylor win to a disappointing turnaround loss to a probably less gifted UW team.

With a win tomorrow, I think it's fair to say we have potential to have a special team being able to stack multiple good efforts in a row against good teams (though a loss doesn't necessarily rule this out either).

I'm going to the arena with no expectations and just an excitement to see how this team follows up Tuesdays shellacking.
VIOLENCE!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2022, 12:50:14 PM »
I think this question becomes much muddier and confusing with a loss tomorrow.

We go from a major high in the Baylor win to a disappointing turnaround loss to a probably less gifted UW team.

With a win tomorrow, I think it's fair to say we have potential to have a special team being able to stack multiple good efforts in a row against good teams (though a loss doesn't necessarily rule this out either).

I'm going to the arena with no expectations and just an excitement to see how this team follows up Tuesdays shellacking.

You think too much.

You flip flop too much.

1 game especially a close loss doesnt muddy any sort of full season outlook.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2022, 12:55:16 PM »
The good thing is that nobody here believes we are contenders for the Final Four (at least not yet), and that the optimists here believes our team has great potential.

One thing I have absolutely no doubt about is whether or not this team will work hard.

82, I compliment you for your positive comments and attitude. We need all mates on deck to help this team win. Go Marquette!

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2022, 01:52:47 PM »
I have a very close friend who played major college ball at a very high level and watches MU regularly because of our friendship. His comment after the Baylor game was "...a textbook example of hard work and team basketball on both ends of the court. But, they will not have another game where it's that easy against a good team. Now those kids have to learn how to grind out a hard win. They have to find their go-to guy on offense, and I haven't seen him yet."

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2022, 07:28:03 PM »
They have to find their go-to guy on offense, and I haven't seen him yet."

I think Kam has the attitude for it but still needs more diversity in his game. Right now his go to move at the end of the shot clock is just to back up so far they dare him to shoot. But his drive is improving and he could grow into that role.