[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mach-E (Rad-Ford) de Sade  (Read 12099 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Mach-E (Rad-Ford) de Sade
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2022, 05:34:03 AM »
Perfect example as to why we shouldn't judge anything after the first few weeks. OMax was the same player as last year (to some), last week. After his 31 point performance, he's now the teams leading scorer at 15.3 a night.

He and Joplin can easily replace what Justin brought in the scoring column and glass.  I think Morsell is the guy we will miss the most because he had the experience and the ability to create a shot for himself and others late.  Hoping Kam can be that guy, but he'll have to learn how to handle contact and physicality like Morsell did so well.
Against cup cakes, sure...
Goal is National Championship

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2022, 08:28:55 AM »
Perfect example as to why we shouldn't judge anything after the first few weeks. OMax was the same player as last year (to some), last week. After his 31 point performance, he's now the teams leading scorer at 15.3 a night.

He and Joplin can easily replace what Justin brought in the scoring column and glass.  I think Morsell is the guy we will miss the most because he had the experience and the ability to create a shot for himself and others late.  Hoping Kam can be that guy, but he'll have to learn how to handle contact and physicality like Morsell did so well.

If he would have scored 10 points against Purdue, Marquette would be 3-0 with a big Q1 road win under its belt.

Let’s see if he can play well in Florida. When the offense stagnates he needs to use his abilities to try to get the team a much needed bucket.

You are correct though- OMax, Joplin and Kam can and will have to pick up the scoring load, especially if Tyler doesn’t average double digits.
I’d like to see Omax build his on the court rapport with Kolek some more, and Shaka to add some sets for the two of them like he has for Kolek/Oso. TyKo is a wizard with the ball and OMax is an awesome athlete and it would be a helluva one-two punch if Tyler could get BOTH Oso and Omax easy buckets at the hoop

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2022, 08:58:43 AM »

I only said what O-Max looked like after one game, not even after the first few weeks; I didn't say, "And this is how he'll look all season." Indeed, I said we need more from him. Last night he gave us way more; against Purdue he gave us less. I hope to see more of the former and less of the latter the rest of the season -- maybe last night will be a huge springboard to excellence for him. I'd love nothing more to be the case.

I'm pretty sure we'll face tougher competition than LIU the rest of the way. And even if O-Max turns out to have been the most improved player in America, I'm pretty sure he won't shoot 91% from the floor and 100% from 3, as he did last night, for the rest of the season.

You're the one who thinks we're barely going to have a winning record. I'm guessing you didn't come to that conclusion because you think O-Max will be an All-Big East caliber player. Or maybe you think he'll be great and everyone else will suck.

Morsell's incredible -- and very un-Morsell-body-of-work-like -- start was vital to us getting off to a good start last season, but he disappeared for long stretches last season. Shaka had to bench him several times. Lewis and Kolek were the guys who led us during the 8-1 stretch that put us in the NCAAT, as Morsell averaged a fine but hardly earth-shaking 13 and 3. In one winnable game, we never got a shot off at the end because Morsell coughed up the ball. He was a good college basketball player; let's not put him on Mount Rushmore.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2022, 09:19:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure we'll face tougher competition than LIU the rest of the way. And even if O-Max turns out to have been the most improved player in America, I'm pretty sure he won't shoot 91% from the floor and 100% from 3, as he did last night, for the rest of the season.

COLE
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2022, 09:22:10 AM »
Yeah, I am not reading much into OMax's performance against LIU. That was an exhibition game level opponent.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2022, 10:37:25 AM »
Yeah, I am not reading much into OMax's performance against LIU. That was an exhibition game level opponent.

Yep.  You see it all the time at all levels of basketball when you play a cupcake.  Outstanding individual performances that are tantalizing but disappear against good opponents. 

I’m hoping Omax has the breakout year many have predicted.  That would be outstanding. But I’d feel a hell of a lot better about this team if Tyler Kolek could hit the three at a decent clip.  His ability to score is the linchpin for better than expected success this season, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 10:57:56 AM by Shooter McGavin »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2022, 11:08:58 AM »
Six more assists for Ighodaro.  Is there another 5 in the country that will have more assists than him by the end of the year?  I doubt it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:29:53 AM by MarquetteDano »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2022, 11:35:18 AM »
If he would have scored 10 points against Purdue, Marquette would be 3-0 with a big Q1 road win under its belt.

Let’s see if he can play well in Florida. When the offense stagnates he needs to use his abilities to try to get the team a much needed bucket.

You are correct though- OMax, Joplin and Kam can and will have to pick up the scoring load, especially if Tyler doesn’t average double digits.
I’d like to see Omax build his on the court rapport with Kolek some more, and Shaka to add some sets for the two of them like he has for Kolek/Oso. TyKo is a wizard with the ball and OMax is an awesome athlete and it would be a helluva one-two punch if Tyler could get BOTH Oso and Omax easy buckets at the hoop

Marquette's gamelan against Purdue was perfect and OMax didn't play bad, they just didn't execute enough late. With Edey waiting near the rim OMax wasn't going to have a huge offensive day. They generated all the open looks they could ask for.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2022, 11:39:26 AM »
Per Painter in his postgame presser, MU got all of the open looks they wanted.   Purdue was cringing and hoping as all of the open 3's went up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2022, 11:46:04 AM »

Yes LIU is lousy, but it was encouraging to see OMax knock down his threes.  If him, Kam and Jop can do that at a decent rate, that’ll open up the paint for Kolek and Oso.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2022, 12:58:29 PM »
Six more assists for Ighodaro.  Is there another 5 in the country that will have more assists than him by the end of the year?  I doubt it.

Was curious so I looked at assist leaders this season. Oso is currently tied for 7th in apg and tied for 2nd in total assists for starting 5s:

Aly Khalifa (Charlotte): 5.0 apg, 15 total
Jeff Woodward (Colgate): 4.5 apg, 18 total
Jalen Wilson (Kansas): 4.3 apg, 13 total
Kevin Cross (Tulane): 4.0 apg, 12 total
Daniel Deaver (Navy): 4.0 apg, 12 total
Max Fielder (Rice): 4.0 apg, 12 total
Oso Ighodaro (Marquette): 3.8 apg, 15 total
Nana Owusu-Anane (Brown): 3.8 apg, 15 total
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2022, 04:23:24 PM »

And even if O-Max turns out to have been the most improved player in America, I'm pretty sure he won't shoot 91% from the floor and 100% from 3, as he did last night, for the rest of the season.

O-Max is not even the most improved player on the team (I know you didn't say he was).

It is clearly Oso with Jop being 2nd.

I'll never say never, but I don't see a future NBA player with O-Max. The 2 things he has going for him are athletic ability - very good, but not elite - and the work ethic to get better. But there are guys like that everywhere.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2022, 04:50:59 PM »
Was curious so I looked at assist leaders this season. Oso is currently tied for 7th in apg and tied for 2nd in total assists for starting 5s:

Aly Khalifa (Charlotte): 5.0 apg, 15 total
Jeff Woodward (Colgate): 4.5 apg, 18 total
Jalen Wilson (Kansas): 4.3 apg, 13 total
Kevin Cross (Tulane): 4.0 apg, 12 total
Daniel Deaver (Navy): 4.0 apg, 12 total
Max Fielder (Rice): 4.0 apg, 12 total
Oso Ighodaro (Marquette): 3.8 apg, 15 total
Nana Owusu-Anane (Brown): 3.8 apg, 15 total

Khalifa is a sophomore. If we end up with an extra scholarship, he might be worth a look as a transfer target.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2022, 04:59:38 PM »

I have no idea how much improved Omax will be by the end of the season, but making shots would help a great deal. Last season, it took Lewis a handful of games to get comfortable making the three and the floodgates opened. If Omax starts making the three ball I think the conversation changes a great deal. It all comes down to the ball going in the basket. IMO, I had more confidence in OMax becoming an outside threat coming into this season than I did Lewis being a three point threat last season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2022, 09:47:30 PM »

I have no idea how much improved Omax will be by the end of the season, but making shots would help a great deal. Last season, it took Lewis a handful of games to get comfortable making the three and the floodgates opened. If Omax starts making the three ball I think the conversation changes a great deal. It all comes down to the ball going in the basket. IMO, I had more confidence in OMax becoming an outside threat coming into this season than I did Lewis being a three point threat last season.

Reasonable comparison, Goose.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson