collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 World Cup Thread  (Read 26866 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2022 World Cup Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2022, 03:50:50 PM »
I don't know the updated numbers, but the US had the youngest average age in the WC by two full years prior to Ream's addition. I think getting out of the group should be the expectation. The talent is there. Iran and Wales won't be cakewalks, but the US should be the 2nd best team in the group.

Drawing Qatar, Netherlands, Ecuador or Senegal in the Round of 16 isn't the worst thing either. Those teams are beatable. I don't see a path beyond that since they'd likely draw France or Argentina in the QF.

Agree with this.  Wales doesn't scare me much and worst case scenario is conceding an early goal against Iran and then they park the bus with their tough D.  I think 2nd is likely, but if they steal a draw from England, who knows.

Qatar would be a dream in the 16, but unlikely.  Ecuador would be nice as the US would likely have 4 of the best 5 players on the pitch at a given moment.  Netherlands is Jekly and Hyde but thats still a pretty tough roster.  Senegal would have the edge, unless Mane can't go.  Then its probably a narrow advantage to the US provided they can crack that Koulibaly, Toure, Diallo and Mendy contingent at the back.

panda

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 08:24:45 PM »
Agree with this.  Wales doesn't scare me much and worst case scenario is conceding an early goal against Iran and then they park the bus with their tough D.  I think 2nd is likely, but if they steal a draw from England, who knows.

Qatar would be a dream in the 16, but unlikely.  Ecuador would be nice as the US would likely have 4 of the best 5 players on the pitch at a given moment.  Netherlands is Jekly and Hyde but thats still a pretty tough roster.  Senegal would have the edge, unless Mane can't go.  Then its probably a narrow advantage to the US provided they can crack that Koulibaly, Toure, Diallo and Mendy contingent at the back.

This us team really concerns me. On top of youth, they looked horrendous in their two lead up games to the WC. Also struggled during qualifying. There are lots of brand names on this roster, but GGG attempting to manage the team like a club squad may make for a quick exit.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2022, 11:24:16 AM »
This us team really concerns me. On top of youth, they looked horrendous in their two lead up games to the WC. Also struggled during qualifying. There are lots of brand names on this roster, but GGG attempting to manage the team like a club squad may make for a quick exit.

I would add in that the fact that injuries have prevented the top players from being on the pitch together regularly could likely impact how well they step up to their potential.

I think the Wales game is crucial as a means to take pressure off. One point is a must, three points go a long way towards getting out of the group. In that game, I hope that Bale starts, as I don't think he can be effective for a full 90, and I'd be scared to have him come on as a "super sub" for 15-20 min against a tired US defense.

In that same logic, I might lean towards starting Weah and having Aaronson being the high energy guy off the bench.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2022, 11:35:52 AM »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2022, 11:59:14 AM »
I would add in that the fact that injuries have prevented the top players from being on the pitch together regularly could likely impact how well they step up to their potential.

I think the Wales game is crucial as a means to take pressure off. One point is a must, three points go a long way towards getting out of the group. In that game, I hope that Bale starts, as I don't think he can be effective for a full 90, and I'd be scared to have him come on as a "super sub" for 15-20 min against a tired US defense.

In that same logic, I might lean towards starting Weah and having Aaronson being the high energy guy off the bench.

Assuming we still roll with a 4-3-3, those front six spots are going to be very interesting.  I would think TA, WMK, CP, and a no. 9 (whether it be HW, JF or JS) are slotted into 4 of them, but who fills out the rest?  Do you trust Gio's health? Musah has been on form.  Weah and Aaronson would be in the mix too. Anticipating that first starting XI.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2022, 01:12:56 PM »
I'd liked to see a starting lineup similar to what jesmu84 posted earlier...

"Turner
Dest-Zimmerman-Ream-Robinson
Adams
Musah-Weston
AaronsonWeah-sargentReyna-Pulisic

But, I would start Weah instead of Aaronson, to have Brenden's great energy and speed come off the bench (and Weah is strong out wide and delivering crosses). More, I'd consider seeing if Gio could start as a false 9 as a way of getting him in and dealing with our lack of strong options for a more traditional striker.

I'm quite sure that Berhalter is unlikely to see things that way, though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:15:52 PM by mug644 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2022, 01:53:45 PM »
Fun fact: Besides the Big 5 Euro leagues, no league has more players in the World Cup than MLS.
Not sure that means a whole lot, but it's something.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2022, 01:56:53 PM »
I'd liked to see a starting lineup similar to what jesmu84 posted earlier...

"Turner
Dest-Zimmerman-Ream-Robinson
Adams
Musah-Weston
AaronsonWeah-sargentReyna-Pulisic

But, I would start Weah instead of Aaronson, to have Brenden's great energy and speed come off the bench (and Weah is strong out wide and delivering crosses). More, I'd consider seeing if Gio could start as a false 9 as a way of getting him in and dealing with our lack of strong options for a more traditional striker.

I'm quite sure that Berhalter is unlikely to see things that way, though.

I don't think I've ever seen the US use a false 9.  Don't want to see them start to break it out at the World Cup.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen the US use a false 9.  Don't want to see them start to break it out at the World Cup.

Fair point. Perhaps not a good time to break it out.

I also think it is a fair criticism of Berhalter that he tends to expect his players to fit into his system, rather than adapt his approach to the strengths of available players. There are a lot of diverse skills on the team, and, moving to the future, I'd hope a coach would build off those abilities.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »
Pulling for Poland
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2022, 02:32:26 PM »
You play a false 9 with this us roster if you believe the most success would come from simply playing their best 11 regardless of position.

I don't like Weah in front of Dest for a whole game. Weah isn't great at tracking back to cover for Dest forward runs. And Weah isn't great coming inside if Dest overlaps.

Makes more sense for Aaronson to play on Dests side

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2022, 02:36:01 PM »
Fun fact: Besides the Big 5 Euro leagues, no league has more players in the World Cup than MLS.
Not sure that means a whole lot, but it's something.

Its interesting, but I think its in large part to Canada qualifying for the first time in ages.  They actually have more MLS players on their roster than the US.  Just over a third of their team plays for CF Montreal or Toronto.

The other thing the MLS has done, for better or for worse, has largely overpaid to make itself the developmental league for the Americas.  Its always been the spot for above average players from CONCACAF countries, but the league has paid big salaries to up and coming talent from South American countries for DP spots.  So you see a couple young guys from the Ecuadorian, Uruguayan, and Colombian national teams in MLS.  They aren't good enough for Big 5 Euro leagues, but MLS will pay them 2-3x more than staying in the mediocre domestic leagues or lesser Euro leagues. 

Hence a guy like Torres from Uruguay who hasn't really featured for the national team, and was good but not transcendent in the domestic league, getting $1MM to play for Orlando City.  Or guys like Mendes and Pallacios from Ecuador who are fine and minor contributors to their national team, but getting $600K to play in MLS.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2022, 02:45:06 PM »
You play a false 9 with this us roster if you believe the most success would come from simply playing their best 11 regardless of position.

I don't like Weah in front of Dest for a whole game. Weah isn't great at tracking back to cover for Dest forward runs. And Weah isn't great coming inside if Dest overlaps.

Makes more sense for Aaronson to play on Dests side

Very valid point bolded.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2022, 08:32:41 AM »
So I'm assuming that banning all alcohol last minute was always part of the plans when the bid was submitted the same way forcing the tournament to be shifted from summer to fall was always part of the plans when the bid was submitted. I would have to think Budweiser is not real happy with FIFA right about now. Pretty much feels like no matter what happens on the pitch, when people look back this WC is going to be remember for off field antics.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2022, 08:41:21 AM »
No alcohol is a good idea.   No free water is rude.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
So I'm assuming that banning all alcohol last minute was always part of the plans when the bid was submitted the same way forcing the tournament to be shifted from summer to fall was always part of the plans when the bid was submitted. I would have to think Budweiser is not real happy with FIFA right about now. Pretty much feels like no matter what happens on the pitch, when people look back this WC is going to be remember for off field antics.

Don't forget changing the day the tournament starts a few months ago. Also part of the plans when the bid was submitted.

But fear not. They will still have alcohol in the luxury suites.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2022, 12:56:03 PM »
Don't forget changing the day the tournament starts a few months ago. Also part of the plans when the bid was submitted.

But fear not. They will still have alcohol in the luxury suites.

They are still selling Bud Zero in the stands. How desperate is one for a drink if they’re buying Bud Zero?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2022, 02:52:24 PM »

Pour the bud light into the water cups.  Same thing.

jesmu84

• All American

panda

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2022, 01:46:03 PM »

Nerd

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2022, 02:01:32 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2022, 05:27:45 PM »

He also said that he understands what it’s like to be discriminated against because he had red hair as a kid.

And freckles.  Don't forget that freckle discrimination.

And he's running unopposed for a new term as president of FIFA.    ::)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2022, 05:40:33 PM »
Benzema out whole tourney for France, they might not make it out of the group. 

feedback