[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter 3.0  (Read 29417 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Twitter 3.0
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2022, 12:26:36 PM »
Sultan ... lots of people here can call me pedantic (deservingly so, even) without a hint of irony. You're not one of them.

Yep. Which means I know it when I see it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2022, 01:34:30 PM »
Sigh ... I jumped to that conclusion because it's exactly what you wrote.
My apologies (?) for reacting to what was written and not what you now say you meant.

Nope.  What I said was:

No, I'm not paying $10 a month to see a link to an article that is already behind a paywall.  I've considered unfollowing the news outlets that paywall all of their articles.

No shot I pay for an ad to see an ad.

If twitter ever becomes a subscription model, I'm 100% out and so will be 75% of it's users.  Which will kill it.

To which you responded:

Outrageous when businesses ask you to pay for some of their products.

At no point did I say I wouldn't pay for their products, I said I wouldn't pay twitter to see a link to an article behind a paywall.  I said I have considered unfollowing the new outlets on twitter that paywall. 

I know you see the difference, but keep going if you must.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
Any twats heer? Any truth two da rumor dat Scoop iz gonna charge $20/month four a green check ✅, hey?

It's the only way to keep the riff raff out

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2022, 04:01:06 PM »
The only internet subscription worth the money is Scoop Premium.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2022, 04:07:48 PM »
I would say the free board is completely worth the cost.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2022, 04:12:52 PM »

I hope the new board promised by the letter writers doesn’t cost anything
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2022, 04:20:21 PM »
There it sits.  Frozen in time.  Forgotten.  Unloved.    A metaphor.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2022, 04:37:59 PM »

Id argue its a bit overpriced.  Should pay us to read some of the mud slinging

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2022, 05:47:40 PM »
Surprised this is still going, but I'm guessing the pay-for-verification model will be the end of Twitter. The only point of verification is so you know the account saying something actually belongs to the person it purports to be.

When 75% of the blue checks refuse to pay, it will lead to a wave of clone accounts, basically drawing in more of the bots Musk claims he doesn't want. Without verification, many of those accounts will just migrate elsewhere, which will lessen the value of the site.

Musk simply doesn't get how any of this works. He made a trolling joke about buying the company and foolishly took it too far, now he's stuck with a platform that isn't worth what he paid for it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2022, 06:38:56 PM »
It’s like watching the PE firm that bought Desdspin whole fundamentally misunderstanding what it was they bought and destroying their investment all over again.

Kinda funny tbh.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2022, 06:56:03 PM »
Surprised this is still going, but I'm guessing the pay-for-verification model will be the end of Twitter. The only point of verification is so you know the account saying something actually belongs to the person it purports to be.

When 75% of the blue checks refuse to pay, it will lead to a wave of clone accounts, basically drawing in more of the bots Musk claims he doesn't want. Without verification, many of those accounts will just migrate elsewhere, which will lessen the value of the site.

Musk simply doesn't get how any of this works. He made a trolling joke about buying the company and foolishly took it too far, now he's stuck with a platform that isn't worth what he paid for it.
I'll just put this right here
https://slate.com/technology/2022/11/the-case-that-elon-musk-knows-exactly-what-hes-doing-at-twitter.html

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2022, 07:38:54 PM »
It’s like watching the PE firm that bought Desdspin whole fundamentally misunderstanding what it was they bought and destroying their investment all over again.

Kinda funny tbh.

It’s hilariously similar actually.  Cause the buyer misunderstood the product in both, and in both the employees had some weird self righteous misunderstanding of how to run a business or what the business should actually entail.

However, the Deadspin buyers were dinosaurs who didn’t understand new media.  I’m not sure Musk doesn’t still have some plan for some Twitter data and info.  I still think he wanted access to Twitter bot data and potential censoring/shadow banning information for a greater angle.  But in terms of purely how to properly monetize Twitter, I think he’s out of his depth for sure.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2022, 08:12:05 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2022, 08:54:55 PM »
I've never twittered, and I've only read twits that someone I know links to.

I subscribe to the NYT, WSJ, WaPo, Athletic, Bloomberg, Seeking Alpha and Charlotte Observer. I also can watch Reuters, CNN, Fox News, CNBC, MSNBC and all the network news shows I want.

I can't imagine what I'd need Twitter for, but I'll be open-minded if someone wants to make a case.

It would give you somewhere else to post.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2022, 10:39:07 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2022, 11:55:09 PM »
I'm actually astounded so many of you "care" about twitter so much.  I guess my expectations of you were too high.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2022, 04:44:29 AM »
I'm actually astounded so many of you "care" about twitter so much.  I guess my expectations of you were too high.

Yeah I think it’s a good place. I follow some news and sports sites and some fun ones as well. It’s entertaining. If it’s not for you, that’s fine too.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2022, 05:15:28 AM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2022, 06:08:08 AM »

It's not the site, it's the discourse and connection it allows. Sure, there's plenty of toxicity there and on any social media, but there's a lot of value as well.

New management at work to improve product

https://www.rt.com/news/565831-twiitter-accurate-information-musk/

Holy s**t  :o
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2022, 09:14:46 AM »
Yeah I think it’s a good place. I follow some news and sports sites and some fun ones as well. It’s entertaining. If it’s not for you, that’s fine too.

I think there are various levels to Twitter.  If you're referring to the people that get REALLY pressed about Twitter arguments and dialogue, then sure.  But even though I secretly enjoy watching some of that, my biggest value from Twitter is really as a news source.

I deleted Twitter for a few months over the summer as part of some personal life/time rearranging.  And I honestly missed it, and not for the reasons you think.  Its so good for breaking news, for trending sports info, for various information sources.  I eventually reactivated cause I found myself going to various Twitter profiles via Google search on a regular basis.

People that aren't active on Twitter naturally associate it with mudslinging from BigTittys69 and LebronDaGoat6 and not for the reasons I mentioned.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2022, 09:16:47 AM »
The key to enjoying Twitter is to never read the replies.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2022, 10:09:59 AM »
New management charging for service .

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/elon-musk-twitter-blue-checkmark-stephen-king-1235252656/

Gee Herman I think you are on to something. Whenever the MODS lock a thread just start a new one: 2.0, 3.0 etc. I always thought it counter productive to lock a thread, why not just suspend the "bad actors" for a while and keep the discussion moving forward.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2022, 10:26:00 AM »
Gee Herman I think you are on to something. Whenever the MODS lock a thread just start a new one: 2.0, 3.0 etc. I always thought it counter productive to lock a thread, why not just suspend the "bad actors" for a while and keep the discussion moving forward.

Perhaps you can moderate the new board?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2022, 04:33:03 PM »

Bingo.  It's the yahoo article comments section in an app.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2022, 04:55:48 PM »

The old Twitter meme of...

"I really love X.  It makes me happy"

Replies...

"How dare you like X, how ableist, my (insert condition) makes it impossible for me to enjoy X"
"X killed my elderly Grandma, I'm LITERALLY crying right now"
"The ability to love X is ultimate ____ privilege"

There was a thread not long ago that went Twitter viral.  A woman in her 20s posted how she loved having coffee with her husband in their garden each morning and talking for an hour.  For some reason, it attracted every Eeyore on the app  who accused her of unchecked privilege and selfishness.  How embarrassing it was to boast about it when not everyone can afford a garden.  How she must be a trust funder if she has an hour in the morning for coffee.  Etc...  The best was a picture was posted of the garden and it was a simple cheap table and chairs under a tree amidst some sparse plants in front of a very modest home.  But it was being treated like she was brunching in Versailles.