[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Providence Preview  (Read 4142 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Providence Preview
« on: November 01, 2022, 06:36:40 AM »
The Friars won the 2022 Big East* but five starters from that team are gone. Will Cooley pull off transfer magic again?

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/11/providence-preview-2022-23.html?m=1
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Providence Preview
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 04:21:10 PM »
Looks like MU opens up -1 for this one

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
Someone has to win. 
Hope it is Marquette!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 05:09:34 PM »
Someone has to win. 
Hope it is Marquette!

Providence covers this one easy
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 05:52:26 PM »
Providence covers this one easy
Unfortunately no ties like in regular soccer matches.
Goal is National Championship

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 07:48:57 PM »
Providence starts three redshirt seniors.
Definitely has the experience advantage.
Hopefully well coached and motivated prevails for Marquette.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 07:53:31 PM »
Providence beat Seton Hall by attacking the paint and attacking the offensive boards.    Going to be a different kind of challenge than ND or Creighton.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 08:00:55 PM »
They are an excellent offensive rebounding team that could create problems and wear out our defense. We are not a strong rebounding team.
We'll have to rebound by committee to try to stave them off. They don't defend as well as we do - if we get the shots to drop, we can do this.
Hope my first visit to the AMP results in a big fat MU win.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 12:06:38 AM »
We had a bat disrupt the game at our place. We had a human disrupt the game at their place. And we played on an ice skating rink in a game we decided not to call travels for a half at their place. And we had a game delayed by a game for a snow storm at their place. What will it be tomorrow?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 12:35:51 AM »
We had a bat disrupt the game at our place. We had a human disrupt the game at their place. And we played on an ice skating rink in a game we decided not to call travels for a half at their place. And we had a game delayed by a game for a snow storm at their place. What will it be tomorrow?

A Golden Eagle swoops into the building and feasts on Friars?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 06:00:29 AM »
I'm interested to see their offensive rebounding. They look like an elite unit on paper, but they have yet to face a defense that rebounds the ball as well as we do.

That's not to say we're a great defensive rebounding team, but they have faced some truly wretched opposition to build their top-10 offensive rebounding rank.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 07:31:14 AM »
It will take a complete team effort to win. 9 or 10 eagles playing flat out for 40 minutes or more.
Can Oso and O-Max get the upper hand on Hopkins and Croswell?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 08:27:50 AM »
Under 149.5

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 08:32:29 AM »
A Golden Eagle swoops into the building and feasts on Friars?

I think we left that cgi abomination at home.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 08:57:23 AM »
I've watched a few Friars games this season. Their general offensive strategy is to:

1. Get points in transition (Hopkins in particular is electric in transition)
2. Drive wildly towards the hoop and throw it up hoping for a foul or offensive rebound
3. Have Bynum penetrate and kick or dump off to a camped out Croswell or Hopkins
4. Dump it into Croswell and hope he can score on his own (he doesn't pass out of the post)

Don't turn it over (we're the second best ball protecting team they've played, they lost to the top one, SLU) and I'm not sure they can score enough to win. Bynum this season has been like a last season Kolek, very deadly passing but a limited threat to score. When he drives, we need to stay home on his teammates. Do that and chances are he'll biff the layup or throw it away. If Oso/Omax leave Croswell/Hopkins to help, Bynum will find them for easy dunks. I would hard double Croswell when he puts the ball on the floor. Once he dribbles, he's putting up a shot come hell or high triple team.

As Brew mentioned, their offensive rebounding numbers may be a mirage. They've played a slate of truly terrible defensive rebounding teams to start the season: 276th, 197th, 319th, 289th, 121st, 361st, 274th, 178th, 191st, 356th, 253rd, and 229th. For comparison, we're 162nd in DR%, making us the second best defensive rebounding team they've face (they lost to the first, SLU again). This may have inflated their numbers a bit or maybe they are the real deal and they can't help who they play. I'm more concerned with them racking up a lot of fouls on us. They are top 45 in that category and we've been foul prone at times.

Defensively, they pack the paint and hope you don't beat them outside. We'll need our shooters to hit shots in order to open up room for drivers. Big things on this side of the ball is to not turn it over to limit their transition points. Even if are shots aren't falling, I think we can win a defensive slugfest.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 09:09:06 AM »
I've watched a few Friars games this season. Their general offensive strategy is to:

1. Get points in transition (Hopkins in particular is electric in transition)
2. Drive wildly towards the hoop and throw it up hoping for a foul or offensive rebound
3. Have Bynum penetrate and kick or dump off to a camped out Croswell or Hopkins
4. Dump it into Croswell and hope he can score on his own (he doesn't pass out of the post)

Don't turn it over (we're the second best ball protecting team they've played, they lost to the top one, SLU) and I'm not sure they can score enough to win. Bynum this season has been like a last season Kolek, very deadly passing but a limited threat to score. When he drives, we need to stay home on his teammates. Do that and chances are he'll biff the layup or throw it away. If Oso/Omax leave Croswell/Hopkins to help, Bynum will find them for easy dunks. I would hard double Croswell when he puts the ball on the floor. Once he dribbles, he's putting up a shot come hell or high triple team.

As Brew mentioned, their offensive rebounding numbers may be a mirage. They've played a slate of truly terrible defensive rebounding teams to start the season: 276th, 197th, 319th, 289th, 121st, 361st, 274th, 178th, 191st, 356th, 253rd, and 229th. For comparison, we're 162nd in DR%, making us the second best defensive rebounding team they've face (they lost to the first, SLU again). This may have inflated their numbers a bit or maybe they are the real deal and they can't help who they play. I'm more concerned with them racking up a lot of fouls on us. They are top 45 in that category and we've been foul prone at times.

Defensively, they pack the paint and hope you don't beat them outside. We'll need our shooters to hit shots in order to open up room for drivers. Big things on this side of the ball is to not turn it over to limit their transition points. Even if are shots aren't falling, I think we can win a defensive slugfest.

Basically, you're saying MU needs to be more like SLU to win?

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »
PC game preview with a famous Marquette fan

Interview starts at 22 minutes

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7ktxzBud0x0WoNrdVdxpVo

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 09:20:05 AM »
Providence now a 1 go 1.5 point favorite depending on where you look.

Around 75% of the bets on Marquette.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 09:46:23 AM »
Providence is a weird matchup for Marquette. They always play better in the big east. They typically win close. They offensive rebound really well. Providence is more similar to Mississippi State than any other MU opponent, but their opponents have sucked at defensive rebounding so i don't know how real it is.

Providence has been mildly "unlucky" with in game Luck so far. By that i mean their opponents have shot well from the free throw line and from three.  Their opponents have been made providence 239th in defensive 3FG% despite being 49th in 3PA/FGM. That's a really high percentage of threes made despite denying attempts relatively well. Also Providence is are 356th in FT% defense. Marquette's free throw percentage is one of their few offensive weaknesses, and Marquette is an average three point shooting team (and a little above average without Kam's moon balls.)

It's probably one of the tougher mid conference matchups. Just gotta shoot well from 3 and the FT line.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 11:03:46 AM »
I’m concerned that this might be the first game we see Oso in foul trouble. Hopefully not too early in the game.

Also, I do think free throws will matter tonight despite conventional Scoop wisdom…

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 11:22:24 AM »
Folks, it doesn't matter what Marquette does or what Providence does tonight.
Steve Lappas is on the call.

We all lose.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2022, 12:01:19 PM »
Folks, it doesn't matter what Marquette does or what Providence does tonight.
Steve Lappas is on the call.

We all lose.

I was going to say the same thing. Noticed it a bit ago. Bummer
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

panda

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2022, 12:58:39 PM »
Pc stinks. Marquette by at least 8

nyg

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2022, 12:59:05 PM »
I’m concerned that this might be the first game we see Oso in foul trouble. Hopefully not too early in the game.

Also, I do think free throws will matter tonight despite conventional Scoop wisdom…

I have the same thoughts, but also to include Omax.  Joplin will be the first in if either gets in early foul trouble, then probably Gold.  Those guys would really have to step it up, especially Gold, who also is prone to foul issues. 

I also believe Oso could get Croswell in foul trouble with his offensive moves.  Comes down to who gets them first. 

Viper

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2022, 03:24:59 PM »
I was going to say the same thing. Noticed it a bit ago. Bummer
radio or on-line, go w/TSmith & Homer.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.