Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[Today at 10:44:37 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rebounding  (Read 927 times)

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
Rebounding
« on: December 13, 2022, 12:50:26 PM »
This team is far from being world beaters on the glass, but my subjective sense was that they're a lot less frustrating than last year. On kenpom we're at 232/209, whereas we ended last year at 325/314. That's a big improvement, while still matching the experts predictions that we'll never be a great rebounding team.
So how did we get better when losing our two best rebounders and not really replacing their size? To me it really does just look like effort, guys are grabbing the ball with more "violence" than last year. Anyone have a more sophisticated explanation?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Rebounding
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 12:52:13 PM »
Definitely a better rebounding team than I expected. Raises the team’s floor.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 12:56:51 PM »
Guards are dropping down instead of leaking out.    More tipping the ball with intent when it can't be immediately secured.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »
Guards are dropping down instead of leaking out.    More tipping the ball with intent when it can't be immediately secured.

I swear every time we tipped it last season it went straight to an opponent. That has been a welcome improvement this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 07:03:58 PM »
This team is far from being world beaters on the glass, but my subjective sense was that they're a lot less frustrating than last year. On kenpom we're at 232/209, whereas we ended last year at 325/314. That's a big improvement, while still matching the experts predictions that we'll never be a great rebounding team.
So how did we get better when losing our two best rebounders and not really replacing their size? To me it really does just look like effort, guys are grabbing the ball with more "violence" than last year. Anyone have a more sophisticated explanation?

The main reason we rebound better is the intent that was dedicated this summer. The guards drop down more defensively and are prepared to gather tipped balls, and Oso is tipping them smartly.

With regards to just offensive rebounding, Morsell and Lewis's midrange shots were a problem. Not because of how well those two shot that shot, but because those shots weren't ever in the flow or design of the offense. So when they took them, no one tried to rebound offensively. When either of them were off the court, the team rebounded +3 percent better offensively. Part of that is the opponent a bit too, but its still the case when you filter out "garbage time" possessions.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 07:42:59 PM »
The main reason we rebound better is the intent that was dedicated this summer. The guards drop down more defensively and are prepared to gather tipped balls, and Oso is tipping them smartly.

With regards to just offensive rebounding, Morsell and Lewis's midrange shots were a problem. Not because of how well those two shot that shot, but because those shots weren't ever in the flow or design of the offense. So when they took them, no one tried to rebound offensively. When either of them were off the court, the team rebounded +3 percent better offensively. Part of that is the opponent a bit too, but its still the case when you filter out "garbage time" possessions.

Another great post!