[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by brewcity77
[Today at 09:14:22 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter 2.0  (Read 4082 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: Twitter 2.0
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2022, 10:37:30 AM »
That would be huge. We'll see.

It would be generally "good" for the purposes of keeping Tom from Accounting from tweeting qanon stuff under the handle 1488folifeyo, and may have a marginal impact on stripping out racist nonsense in the United States, but it would *also* completely destroy Twitter as a mechanism for marginalized people, people who are trying to expose corruption/whistleblow/etc, or people who live in places where their governments will absolutely, for example, imprison you for the rest of your life for criticizing the regime even if you're an American just visiting family for a minute (https://www.axios.com/2022/10/19/saudi-arabia-american-citizen-imprisoned-tweets), to communicate with the world. Bear in mind also that the majority of twitter's users don't live in the United States.

So, "verify the identity of every user" of Twitter is probably net-net not as good as it seems on the surface.

Also, for as much crap as Twitter gets for spam/bots/etc. (and as much as Elon tried to scapegoat bots to get out of buying the thing), Twitter needs its daily active user #s to at least not decrease. If they make everyone drop two proofs of ID to keep their account, boy howdy are those numbers gonna go down. And as I've said before, the financiers who let Elon leverage his TSLA stock to close this deal are gonna have... questions... if he starts taking actions that are going to immediately and materially reduce its ability to actually derive revenue from ad sales.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2022, 11:30:45 AM »
It would be generally "good" for the purposes of keeping Tom from Accounting from tweeting qanon stuff under the handle 1488folifeyo, and may have a marginal impact on stripping out racist nonsense in the United States, but it would *also* completely destroy Twitter as a mechanism for marginalized people, people who are trying to expose corruption/whistleblow/etc, or people who live in places where their governments will absolutely, for example, imprison you for the rest of your life for criticizing the regime even if you're an American just visiting family for a minute (https://www.axios.com/2022/10/19/saudi-arabia-american-citizen-imprisoned-tweets), to communicate with the world. Bear in mind also that the majority of twitter's users don't live in the United States.

So, "verify the identity of every user" of Twitter is probably net-net not as good as it seems on the surface.

Also, for as much crap as Twitter gets for spam/bots/etc. (and as much as Elon tried to scapegoat bots to get out of buying the thing), Twitter needs its daily active user #s to at least not decrease. If they make everyone drop two proofs of ID to keep their account, boy howdy are those numbers gonna go down. And as I've said before, the financiers who let Elon leverage his TSLA stock to close this deal are gonna have... questions... if he starts taking actions that are going to immediately and materially reduce its ability to actually derive revenue from ad sales.

I haven't given it significant thought, but sitting here right now I think I disagree with idea that it would be net not good.

And I don't really care about Twitter's finances. I've never been a shareholder, and it will be a private company anyway. If it fails to survive, that's just what happens sometimes to a business in a capitalist society.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2022, 01:15:45 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2022, 01:27:46 PM »
For those fools here who thought/think musk will in any way be rational:

“There is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story than meets the eye,” Musk responded to Clinton’s tweet, attaching a link to an article falsely claiming that Paul Pelosi’s attacker was a lover he met at a bar in the middle of the night.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2022, 03:42:43 PM »
Musk already tweeting unfounded conspiracy theories. Who would have guessed???

🤡 deleted it too

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »
For those fools here who thought/think musk will in any way be rational:

“There is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story than meets the eye,” Musk responded to Clinton’s tweet, attaching a link to an article falsely claiming that Paul Pelosi’s attacker was a lover he met at a bar in the middle of the night.

I heard he left screaming, “This is MAGA country!”. 

I won’t be one bit surprised that this wasn’t some type of Andrew Gillum situation... avoided a crap show there.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2022, 05:02:22 PM »
“The Aristocrats”
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

reinko

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2022, 05:40:29 PM »
I heard he left screaming, “This is MAGA country!”. 

I won’t be one bit surprised that this wasn’t some type of Andrew Gillum situation... avoided a crap show there.

Source?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2022, 06:58:47 PM »
This isn't going well, and I can't imagine it improving...