Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could Ivy League offer scholarships or schools leave?  (Read 3100 times)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Could Ivy League offer scholarships or schools leave?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2022, 11:18:47 AM »
Many of the same people who are outraged about colleges improving their diversity by admitting intelligent minority students who might not qualify by standardized tests seem to have absolutely no problem with legacies getting in, whether they are qualified or not.

I’ve had conversations with family about this mostly related to race and gender as my son was getting rejected from top schools. My response is simple, he will find his place, he has limitless options, wherever he lands he will likely succeed, after college he will likely succeed. I add, not everyone has those same givens, I have no problem with schools constructing their classes with students from many parts of many spectrums. Occasionally, I will add that what they are really saying is a Black person is taking my son’s spot. That usually starts the worthwhile part of the convo.

I hadn’t thought much about legacy students until my son was “competing” with them. It is a real situation and something that doesn’t bother me too much. I get how the world works, money. If that money is used to create a class of students wildly different from my son, that is exactly what he and our family wanted for him.

I will say, this years Penn class is somewhere around 55% people who identify as non-white, 56% people who were assigned female at birth, and 49% applied early decision, which my son did not. I still can’t believe he was accepted, and he absolutely found his place. His buddy in high school who had everything my son had academically without any of the other advantages, was accepted at all his top schools and is at MIT. I couldn’t be more proud of both of them.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2022, 11:29:35 AM »
I’ve had conversations with family about this mostly related to race and gender as my son was getting rejected from top schools. My response is simple, he will find his place, he has limitless options, wherever he lands he will likely succeed, after college he will likely succeed. I add, not everyone has those same givens, I have no problem with schools constructing their classes with students from many parts of many spectrums. Occasionally, I will add that what they are really saying is a Black person is taking my son’s spot. That usually starts the worthwhile part of the convo.

I hadn’t thought much about legacy students until my son was “competing” with them. It is a real situation and something that doesn’t bother me too much. I get how the world works, money. If that money is used to create a class of students wildly different from my son, that is exactly what he and our family wanted for him.

I will say, this years Penn class is somewhere around 55% people who identify as non-white, 56% people who were assigned female at birth, and 49% applied early decision, which my son did not. I still can’t believe he was accepted, and he absolutely found his place. His buddy in high school who had everything my son had academically without any of the other advantages, was accepted at all his top schools and is at MIT. I couldn’t be more proud of both of them.

Ah yes.  Those black people always getting opportunities that the white people in this country could never dream of getting, taking up all the opportunities from us.  How unfairly white people are treated in this country.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2022, 11:38:59 AM »
I will say, this years Penn class is somewhere around 55% people who identify as non-white, 56% people who were assigned female at birth,

Just to add some context for these numbers, nationally 49.4% of college students identify as non-white and and 59.5% are female (I don't know if that stat means assigned female at birth or how students identify). So your son's class is about 5.6% more racially diverse and about 3.5% less female dominated than the national average.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2022, 12:32:35 PM »
Just to add some context for these numbers, nationally 49.4% of college students identify as non-white and and 59.5% are female (I don't know if that stat means assigned female at birth or how students identify). So your son's class is about 5.6% more racially diverse and about 3.5% less female dominated than the national average.

Appreciate the info and context. He is an electrical engineering major and computer science/Spanish minor. Anecdotally, my wife and I were struck by the number of non-white students at his engineering specific gatherings during move in and the number of females living in the same wing of his dorm. Marquette wasn’t like that for me, which I think is why it struck me, and it also made him very happy. He said from the jump, I want to go to the most the most challenging school I can, with the most racially diverse people I can,  in a world class city. Of course, the Ivies are filled with rich, white, males, but I do applaud Penn for making it appear that they are invested in first gen, minority, socially and financially diverse students. The data shows they are, let’s hope it continues.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 12:58:53 PM »
Appreciate the info and context. He is an electrical engineering major and computer science/Spanish minor. Anecdotally, my wife and I were struck by the number of non-white students at his engineering specific gatherings during move in and the number of females living in the same wing of his dorm. Marquette wasn’t like that for me, which I think is why it struck me, and it also made him very happy. He said from the jump, I want to go to the most the most challenging school I can, with the most racially diverse people I can,  in a world class city. Of course, the Ivies are filled with rich, white, males, but I do applaud Penn for making it appear that they are invested in first gen, minority, socially and financially diverse students. The data shows they are, let’s hope it continues.
They had to attenuate for what they did to US.....
Goal is National Championship

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2022, 07:36:17 PM »
Many of the same people who are outraged about colleges improving their diversity by admitting intelligent minority students who might not qualify by standardized tests seem to have absolutely no problem with legacies getting in, whether they are qualified or not.

Gramma Straw man is back. Most arguments I see are ending both preferences.

I also see both sides arguing for ending preferential admissions for athletes. I’ve personally dealt with Ivy athletes admitted with an ACT as low as 17 and SAT as low as 990. Probably worse than “legacy” admits.

Also, a “legacy” admit may just be the child or sibling of grads, having given very little or nothing. That just gets them an extra few admissions points but is hardly determinative. MU had 21% “legacies” in the class of 2024. Likely very few were children of six and seven figure donors who got in without meeting whatever our qualifications are these days (apparently not much).

What is egregious is how Asian applicants  are held to such higher standards than others. The “personality test” Harvard admissions office uses to disqualify Asian applicants is discriminatory. The disparate admission standards among the various identified applicant groups demonstrated in the SCOTUS testimony demonstrate this.

Don't you have some books to ban?

I don’t believe in banning books. The though that kids are being deprived of reading To Kill A Mockingbird, which I read in ninth grade, or many books by Mark Twain, which I read in elementary school, is disturbing. Please point to where I’ve ever advocated for outright banning books, Grampa. TIA.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2022, 09:23:16 PM »
Gramma Straw man is back. Most arguments I see are ending both preferences.

I also see both sides arguing for ending preferential admissions for athletes. I’ve personally dealt with Ivy athletes admitted with an ACT as low as 17 and SAT as low as 990. Probably worse than “legacy” admits.

Also, a “legacy” admit may just be the child or sibling of grads, having given very little or nothing. That just gets them an extra few admissions points but is hardly determinative. MU had 21% “legacies” in the class of 2024. Likely very few were children of six and seven figure donors who got in without meeting whatever our qualifications are these days (apparently not much).

What is egregious is how Asian applicants  are held to such higher standards than others. The “personality test” Harvard admissions office uses to disqualify Asian applicants is discriminatory. The disparate admission standards among the various identified applicant groups demonstrated in the SCOTUS testimony demonstrate this.

I don’t believe in banning books. The though that kids are being deprived of reading To Kill A Mockingbird, which I read in ninth grade, or many books by Mark Twain, which I read in elementary school, is disturbing. Please point to where I’ve ever advocated for outright banning books, Grampa. TIA.

Thanks for being on the right side of the book-banning debate, chicosjr. I’m pleasantly surprised.

Love,
My grandkids’ Grandpa
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson