collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette's Next Freshman Class up 22% from 2021  (Read 6563 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Marquette's Next Freshman Class up 22% from 2021
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2022, 08:54:07 AM »
Legit question .. how much control does a school have over who applies?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2022, 09:02:53 AM »
Legit question .. how much control does a school have over who applies?

They don’t. They have control over who they market to however.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2022, 12:08:39 PM »
Well I hope most colleges are ready for this.  If one struggles with reading going into college, I don’t know what to say except it can only add to cost of college education and I’ll be damned if we have to keep paying for it.  Average cost per student is over $13k with New York, New Jersey and DC leading the way $22-24k per student

https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/even-before-pandemic-national-test-finds-most-seniors-unready-for-college-reading-math/2020/10

And these numbers are before the pandemic.  God help us what they are post pandemic
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2022, 12:13:37 PM »
Well I hope most colleges are ready for this.  If one struggles with reading going into college, I don’t know what to say except it can only add to cost of college education and I’ll be damned if we have to keep paying for it.  Average cost per student is over $13k with New York, New Jersey and DC leading the way $22-24k per student

https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/even-before-pandemic-national-test-finds-most-seniors-unready-for-college-reading-math/2020/10

And these numbers are before the pandemic.  God help us what they are post pandemic

Remedial writing and math are taught at nearly every college these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
How about critical thinking?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
How about critical thinking?

No, but they're all indoctrinating our kids with critical race theory.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2022, 07:52:26 AM »
Not sure if this has been linked before ..

https://marquettewire.org/3982607/news/new-admissions-strategy-results-in-increasing-acceptance-rate/

They don’t. They have control over who they market to however.

I guess what confuses me is .. the strategy to buy lists from testing companies, then market to the kids that are in your target demo .. doesn't sound groundbreaking.  Sounds like exactly what all colleges would do.  (And what all car companies, all beer companies, all travel companies, all toy companies do too.)

Does this mean SLU, with their 55% acceptance rate is just crappier at their market targeting?

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2022, 08:20:28 AM »
Not sure if this has been linked before ..

https://marquettewire.org/3982607/news/new-admissions-strategy-results-in-increasing-acceptance-rate/

I guess what confuses me is .. the strategy to buy lists from testing companies, then market to the kids that are in your target demo .. doesn't sound groundbreaking.  Sounds like exactly what all colleges would do.  (And what all car companies, all beer companies, all travel companies, all toy companies do too.)

Does this mean SLU, with their 55% acceptance rate is just crappier at their market targeting?

That article is five years old. Marquette isn't soley basing their recruitment of students on purchasing lists from testing companies, because almost everyone is test optional now. My guess is that they are using third parties to target market to specific demographics that have work well for them in the past.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2022, 08:21:47 AM »
Based on the comments in this thread, would it be fair to say some schools are hesitant to make the leap due to perception of a high acceptance rate?

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2022, 08:28:27 AM »
Based on the comments in this thread, would it be fair to say some schools are hesitant to make the leap due to perception of a high acceptance rate?

It could be, but all but the elite schools aren't going to be able to afford to be picky.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2022, 09:01:16 AM »

That article is five years old. Marquette isn't soley basing their recruitment of students on purchasing lists from testing companies, because almost everyone is test optional now. My guess is that they are using third parties to target market to specific demographics that have work well for them in the past.

And that's natural .. one would expect new, better, or different data sources through the years.  That doesn't change the thesis that all schools would follow that path.

It's also interesting to think of this marketing scheme .. as one that neglects "certain" populations/demographics.