[March 18, 2024, 11:51:09 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Really???  (Read 4662 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Really???
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2022, 08:15:59 PM »
*Shaka's calling card is relationships are tantamount!  Really???  Sorry but I'd rather have a head coach who says accountability from himself, his assistants and his players is tantamount.  Show me a coach who is too chummy with his players and assistants and I'll show you a coach with a losing record.  Coaches like Lou Holtz, Buzz Williams, Urban Meyer, Bill Belichick aren't very warm and fuzzy with their players or assistants but they sure get every ounce of production out of the talent they're given.

*Shaka said Kam Jones is the best freshman he's ever had.  Really???  Once again I prefer a coach that says every player has to earn their playing time every game of every season.  Worse yet Kam Jones ceiling might be a slightly better version of Andrew Rowsey who also launched a lot of threes and when he made them we lost by ten, but when he missed them we lost by twenty.  Kam is certainly a crafty player who has some decent size and athletic ability but he is not an elite defender, ball handler or driver/slasher/finisher.  For Shaka to say he's the best freshmen he's ever had just makes one question Shaka's talent evaluation and coaching skills.  Further it's demoralizing to other players for a coach to have favorites and especially when the favorites aren't even the team's best players.     

*Tyler Kolek will be our starting point guard again this season?  Really???  Once again why would Shaka say that and especially with the end of season collapse including the most lopsided loss in the NCAA tournament.  If our top three guards are going to be Kolek, Jones and Mitchell then at some point with our schedule we're going to lose four games in a row.  This combination of guards aren't big enough or athletic enough to win consistently with the talent we'll face throughout a Power 6 schedule.  I was hoping Emarion Ellis was healthy to see what he gave us... I also like Sean Jones and Chase Ross and their super-sized athleticism.  I was hoping to see these three very athletic guards get the lion share of minutes to actually give us the "violence" we need to make Shaka's preferred style of play most effective. 

*We couldn't rebound to save our life last season and there were big post players to be had in the transfer portal and Shaka didn't get any of them?  Really???  I'm not buying that Wrightsil will be a rebounding extraordinaire at 6'6+/- and coming from a lower division of play.  In addition, Oso played most of last year like he was wearing a red quarterback/don't hit me jersey.  Except Oso's red jersey was to say don't pass it to me unless I'm right under the basket for a dunk.  Meanwhile Creighton's big men would roll out to the three point stripe and a be a threat from all over the court while also getting more rebounds.  Now we're very dependent on Oso to man the 5 and be a much improved player who can take outside shots and slower bigs off the dribble.  The good news is he actually has the ability to do this but thus far but has not been allowed and/or unwilling to show any of these skills during games in spite of showing them in his YouTube and Instagram videos.

*We've had four straight teams with late season fades and yet we still have the same strength and conditioning coach?  Really???  Every offseason changes should be made to try to make the team better and instead Shaka/Marquette stood pat and went with the status quo (minus adding Wrightsil who is the only immediate offseason addition/subtraction).  Worse yet the strength and conditioning coach can't control his twitter account and delves into politics that certainly alienate a large swath of the fans as manifested by fading attendance with a lot of empty seats in the upper bowl.  I wish I had the 9 unwarranted lives like he does with my company. 

*Tre Norman.  He is going to be really!!! good!  I like his size, smarts, toughness, the chip on his shoulder from a late recruiting push and overall intangibles.  In the link below he shows a post-up game which is a skill most guards never develop or do later in their careers.  Michael Jordan made a killing on his post up game in his 30's and it demonstrates a scoring mentality and high basketball IQ.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG-2rcpIELE

*The bottom line is this year could be really!!! frustrating or really!!! exciting.  There is enough collective talent to find a rotation with enough ammunition to compete and win against a Power 6 schedule and even make it to the Sweet 16.  In order to do so I think Shaka is going to have to upset the apple cart and be willing to play players who might be younger and less experienced but give us the best chance at winning.  I also think we're going to need to see a much improved Oso and/or Ben Gold turns out to be as good as Shaka said he is and becomes an impact player in a critical position.  I was very impressed that Ben Gold hit two home runs in the softball game video.  This coming from a kid from a non-baseball playing country and at 6'11... this demonstrates a very strong body core which should translate to a strong rebounder on the blocks as well. 

I expect OMax to have a similar jump to what Justin Lewis had last year and look and play like an All American at times.  He has that kind of physical talent to be the best player on the floor every game we play.  I think Joplin can also have a nice jump this year and develop into a poor man's Glen Rice.  Wrightsil could be very effective for us too in various areas, hard to know at this point.  Keeyan is a great finisher but doesn't look like he'll have much of a role for us this year besides a couple highlight reel dunks or blocks.

Go Marquette!  Find a way to get it done!  No excuses!

How is Porter Moser doing?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2022, 09:35:42 PM »
The best 5 minutes I decided not to waste.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2022, 09:49:14 PM »
Wojo's handling of the Markus/ Hauser disaster upset a lot of posters here. I think Shaka would have handled it better. I really like how players appear to like playing for Shaka. I suspect a player who is not buying into what Shaka wants will see increasing bench time.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2022, 10:08:35 PM »
Wojo's handling of the Markus/ Hauser disaster upset a lot of posters here. I think Shaka would have handled it better. I really like how players appear to like playing for Shaka. I suspect a player who is not buying into what Shaka wants will see increasing bench time.

It will be very interesting to see how Shaka handles the roster the next few years.  They will probably have 13 players in 2023, all wanting playing time!  Norman already thinks he will start with Kolek, not sure Kam or Mitchell think that.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2022, 09:04:36 AM »
The best 5 minutes I decided not to waste.

I had no idea that you were a speed reader who could have gotten through that rant in 5 minutes.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2022, 09:37:15 AM »
*Shaka's calling card is relationships are tantamount!  Really???  Sorry but I'd rather have a head coach who says accountability from himself, his assistants and his players is tantamount.  Show me a coach who is too chummy with his players and assistants and I'll show you a coach with a losing record.  Coaches like Lou Holtz, Buzz Williams, Urban Meyer, Bill Belichick aren't very warm and fuzzy with their players or assistants but they sure get every ounce of production out of the talent they're given.

*Shaka said Kam Jones is the best freshman he's ever had.  Really???  Once again I prefer a coach that says every player has to earn their playing time every game of every season.  Worse yet Kam Jones ceiling might be a slightly better version of Andrew Rowsey who also launched a lot of threes and when he made them we lost by ten, but when he missed them we lost by twenty.  Kam is certainly a crafty player who has some decent size and athletic ability but he is not an elite defender, ball handler or driver/slasher/finisher.  For Shaka to say he's the best freshmen he's ever had just makes one question Shaka's talent evaluation and coaching skills.  Further it's demoralizing to other players for a coach to have favorites and especially when the favorites aren't even the team's best players.     

*Tyler Kolek will be our starting point guard again this season?  Really???  Once again why would Shaka say that and especially with the end of season collapse including the most lopsided loss in the NCAA tournament.  If our top three guards are going to be Kolek, Jones and Mitchell then at some point with our schedule we're going to lose four games in a row.  This combination of guards aren't big enough or athletic enough to win consistently with the talent we'll face throughout a Power 6 schedule.  I was hoping Emarion Ellis was healthy to see what he gave us... I also like Sean Jones and Chase Ross and their super-sized athleticism.  I was hoping to see these three very athletic guards get the lion share of minutes to actually give us the "violence" we need to make Shaka's preferred style of play most effective. 

*We couldn't rebound to save our life last season and there were big post players to be had in the transfer portal and Shaka didn't get any of them?  Really???  I'm not buying that Wrightsil will be a rebounding extraordinaire at 6'6+/- and coming from a lower division of play.  In addition, Oso played most of last year like he was wearing a red quarterback/don't hit me jersey.  Except Oso's red jersey was to say don't pass it to me unless I'm right under the basket for a dunk.  Meanwhile Creighton's big men would roll out to the three point stripe and a be a threat from all over the court while also getting more rebounds.  Now we're very dependent on Oso to man the 5 and be a much improved player who can take outside shots and slower bigs off the dribble.  The good news is he actually has the ability to do this but thus far but has not been allowed and/or unwilling to show any of these skills during games in spite of showing them in his YouTube and Instagram videos.

*We've had four straight teams with late season fades and yet we still have the same strength and conditioning coach?  Really???  Every offseason changes should be made to try to make the team better and instead Shaka/Marquette stood pat and went with the status quo (minus adding Wrightsil who is the only immediate offseason addition/subtraction).  Worse yet the strength and conditioning coach can't control his twitter account and delves into politics that certainly alienate a large swath of the fans as manifested by fading attendance with a lot of empty seats in the upper bowl.  I wish I had the 9 unwarranted lives like he does with my company. 

*Tre Norman.  He is going to be really!!! good!  I like his size, smarts, toughness, the chip on his shoulder from a late recruiting push and overall intangibles.  In the link below he shows a post-up game which is a skill most guards never develop or do later in their careers.  Michael Jordan made a killing on his post up game in his 30's and it demonstrates a scoring mentality and high basketball IQ.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG-2rcpIELE

*The bottom line is this year could be really!!! frustrating or really!!! exciting.  There is enough collective talent to find a rotation with enough ammunition to compete and win against a Power 6 schedule and even make it to the Sweet 16.  In order to do so I think Shaka is going to have to upset the apple cart and be willing to play players who might be younger and less experienced but give us the best chance at winning.  I also think we're going to need to see a much improved Oso and/or Ben Gold turns out to be as good as Shaka said he is and becomes an impact player in a critical position.  I was very impressed that Ben Gold hit two home runs in the softball game video.  This coming from a kid from a non-baseball playing country and at 6'11... this demonstrates a very strong body core which should translate to a strong rebounder on the blocks as well. 

I expect OMax to have a similar jump to what Justin Lewis had last year and look and play like an All American at times.  He has that kind of physical talent to be the best player on the floor every game we play.  I think Joplin can also have a nice jump this year and develop into a poor man's Glen Rice.  Wrightsil could be very effective for us too in various areas, hard to know at this point.  Keeyan is a great finisher but doesn't look like he'll have much of a role for us this year besides a couple highlight reel dunks or blocks.

Go Marquette!  Find a way to get it done!  No excuses!

Meanwhile, Aunt Martha, having taking a tramp through the woods, is lying in a ditch at the edge of town.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2022, 10:02:27 AM »
I had no idea that you were a speed reader who could have gotten through that rant in 5 minutes.

What rant?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2022, 10:07:45 AM »
Shaka hasn’t won a single game yet this season! Really?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2022, 10:44:43 AM »
COLE patrol rules
Goal is National Championship

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2022, 11:29:00 AM »
COLE patrol rules

I get most of your posts are one sentence comments that try to be comical, but you keep putting in this "COLE" and are the only one doing it.  Must have missed its meaning, what does it stand for?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2022, 11:45:22 AM »
I get most of your posts are one sentence comments that try to be comical, but you keep putting in this "COLE" and are the only one doing it.  Must have missed its meaning, what does it stand for?

Don’t get him started.  ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2022, 12:03:41 PM »

Stands for him being a big Nat King Cole fan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2022, 01:48:38 PM »
Cult
Of
Low
Expectations

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2022, 01:50:02 PM »
Please don’t quote the entire original screed. 
I got athletes finger scrolling past it dozens of times. 
Owieee

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2022, 02:26:55 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2022, 02:31:23 PM »
As opposed to me

Chilling
on
no
expectations
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2022, 04:17:06 PM »
As opposed to me

Chilling
on
no
expectations
Tower CONE patrol

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2022, 04:19:20 PM »
Don’t get him started.  ;)
Yo chills  ;D

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2022, 09:37:10 AM »
I’m not going to read that but I’m sorry that happened to you or I’m very happy for your success.

Was looking for this comment. Was going to say the same thing.
VIOLENCE!

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2022, 03:43:33 PM »
Constantly
High
Offensive and
Defensive
Expectations

Who here wants to be a CHODE??

Dr. Blackheart