[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Our coach isn't "top tier," but he ain't half bad  (Read 6777 times)

MU82

• All American
Our coach isn't "top tier," but he ain't half bad
« on: September 29, 2022, 07:52:45 AM »
The Athletic has ranked most P6 college basketball coaches by tiers, and Shaka was in the Tier 3 ... along with some pretty good company:

Randy Bennett, Mike Brey, Hubert Davis, Jamie Dixon, Greg Gard, Anthony Grant, Chris Holtmann, Juwan Howard, Dan Hurley, James Jones, Tommy Lloyd, Thad Matta, Fran McCaffery, Greg McDermott, Niko Medved, Porter Moser, Nate Oats, Kevin Willard, Buzz Williams, Brad Underwood, Mike Young.

https://theathletic.com/3619418/2022/09/28/college-basketball-best-coach-rankings-tiers/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=5157326

Top tier was predictable: Bennett, Calipari, Drew, Few, Izzo, Pitino, Sampson, Self.

Criteria was "intentionally vague," and "because tiering 350-plus coaches would be folly, we culled the list according to the following qualifications": head coaches from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC; any head coach from a non-“power” conference who has led his team to the NCAA Tournament or won a regular-season conference title in the last three seasons; must have already coached a full season at the Division I level.

I guess that's further evidence that the Big East is considered part of the "Power 6."

Of our coach, The Athletic said:

Shaka Smart went to a Final Four with VCU and bypassed a ton of offers before jumping at Texas. He was not bad in Austin. The Longhorns went to the NCAA Tournament in three of his last five years (and probably would have made another were it not for COVID-19), before he opted out and headed to Marquette. There, Smart took a team that was largely dysfunctional amid roster churn and got it to the NCAA Tournament. “I know there’s a wide range of opinions on Shaka, but he has been to a Final Four,’’ one agent says. “He’s been to the NCAA Tournament every year but three that he’s coached. I mean, that’s pretty damn good."

Calling Shaka's breakup with Texas him "opting out" is a little generous, but I otherwise agree that Shaka has been a "pretty damn good" college basketball coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Our coach isn't "top tier," but he ain't half bad
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 08:03:47 AM »
There, Smart took a team that was largely dysfunctional amid roster churn and got it to the NCAA Tournament.

::)

I'd say that is a big achievement. No "cupboard was bare" excuses.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 08:41:01 AM »
"Amicable divorce" would be a little better description than "opted out", but that would be generous also. I think calling the team dysfunctional let Wojo off the hook, as I think it would be a fair description of his coaching.

Anyhow, I am very happy that Shaka is our coach and look forward our future with him.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 08:44:48 AM »
He took over a team that had three returning players (ranked 6th, 7th and 10th in minutes the year prior) kept some key recruits, got in some decent transfers, and made the NCAA tournament.

A pretty good coaching job IMO.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »
He took over a team that had three returning players (ranked 6th, 7th and 10th in minutes the year prior) kept some key recruits, got in some decent transfers, and made the NCAA tournament.

The one thing I would say to this is that he could have theoretically returned the entire roster if he wanted to. He didn't. He blew it up instead and still made the NCAAT. Pretty good coaching job indeed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 10:10:17 AM »

Basically an A for the regular season last year. No excuses made about the roster or youth, brought in great transfers, brought back some toughness.

But you wonder how it went so badly so quickly at the end -- reminded me of the previous coach. Fully understanding they ran into a UNC buzzsaw - but regardless, they looked dysfunctional in that NCAA game.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 10:12:39 AM »
Basically an A for the regular season last year. No excuses made about the roster or youth, brought in great transfers, brought back some toughness.

But you wonder how it went so badly so quickly at the end -- reminded me of the previous coach. Fully understanding they ran into a UNC buzzsaw - but regardless, they looked dysfunctional in that NCAA game.

Smart coaches figured them out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 10:18:15 AM »
Good to hear it is a decent hire.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 10:32:00 AM »

Bad body language
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »

As did some not-so-smart coaches.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 10:54:56 AM »
As did some not-so-smart coaches.

The dumb ones learned from the smart ones.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 10:56:44 AM »

A tier 3 coach

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »
Appears the team ceiling was hit and strengths and weaknesses exposed.  Opposing coaches figured out how to play to our weaknesses and avoid our strengths.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 01:27:53 PM »

Top tier was predictable: Bennett, Calipari, Drew, Few, Izzo, Pitino, Sampson, Self.

You can not be afraid to break some rules to make it to the top.

Gotta think Jay Wright would have had his own tier. Too good to be in that group.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 06:13:34 PM »

MU didn't end the season well...but I give no thought to the UNC game...they blew out many good teams (including Baylor until an epic 10 min of officiating). 

I think this is going to be a challenging year for MU...if we're in the tourney I'm happy.  The following year we should be competing for a BEAST championship.

I'd also take Shaka over any of the other coaches in his tier.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 10:08:36 AM »
I'd also take Shaka over any of the other coaches in his tier.

I'd for sure take Lloyd, Holtmann, Howard, and Oats.  I'd personally take Underwood and Matta.  McDermott, Dixon, and Hurley are tossups for me.  5 years ago I would've definitely taken Brey and Buzz too.  And too early to tell on Hubert.  Overall I'd say this group of coaches if pretty accurate in terms of where he should be ranked.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 11:33:10 AM »
Overall I'd say this group of coaches if pretty accurate in terms of where he should be ranked.

Agree.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 11:33:44 AM »
Tier 3 >> Tier 7

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 04:30:47 PM »
The Athletic has ranked most P6 college basketball coaches by tiers, and Shaka was in the Tier 3 ... along with some pretty good company:

Randy Bennett, Mike Brey, Hubert Davis, Jamie Dixon, Greg Gard, Anthony Grant, Chris Holtmann, Juwan Howard, Dan Hurley, James Jones, Tommy Lloyd, Thad Matta, Fran McCaffery, Greg McDermott, Niko Medved, Porter Moser, Nate Oats, Kevin Willard, Buzz Williams, Brad Underwood, Mike Young.

https://theathletic.com/3619418/2022/09/28/college-basketball-best-coach-rankings-tiers/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=5157326

Criteria was "intentionally vague," and "because tiering 350-plus coaches would be folly, we culled the list according to the following qualifications": head coaches from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC; any head coach from a non-“power” conference who has led his team to the NCAA Tournament or won a regular-season conference title in the last three seasons; must have already coached a full season at the Division I level.

I guess that's further evidence that the Big East is considered part of the "Power 6."

Of our coach, The Athletic said:

Shaka Smart went to a Final Four with VCU and bypassed a ton of offers before jumping at Texas. He was not bad in Austin. The Longhorns went to the NCAA Tournament in three of his last five years (and probably would have made another were it not for COVID-19), before he opted out and headed to Marquette. There, Smart took a team that was largely dysfunctional amid roster churn and got it to the NCAA Tournament. “I know there’s a wide range of opinions on Shaka, but he has been to a Final Four,’’ one agent says. “He’s been to the NCAA Tournament every year but three that he’s coached. I mean, that’s pretty damn good."

Calling Shaka's breakup with Texas him "opting out" is a little generous, but I otherwise agree that Shaka has been a "pretty damn good" college basketball coach.

Mu82
You continue to be a negative. Apparently you aren't aware of your cynicsm or sarcasm. You've proven over and over that you are a real "Debbie Downer." For this reason you are being muted.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 04:50:06 PM »
Mu82
You continue to be a negative. Apparently you aren't aware of your cynicsm or sarcasm. You've proven over and over that you are a real "Debbie Downer." For this reason you are being muted.

I really can't tell if you are being serious or if you are committed to a years long bit.

If the former, yikes on bikes. If the latter, respect for the commitment.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 06:06:52 PM »
Mu82

Heartbreaking.

I really can't tell if you are being serious or if you are committed to a years long bit.

If the former, yikes on bikes. If the latter, respect for the commitment.

Yeah, I'm probably one of the dozen biggest MU hoops optimists on here, but whatevs. I'll miss the scintillating conversations.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:09:53 PM by MU82 »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2022, 09:55:49 AM »

+1

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »
The one thing I would say to this is that he could have theoretically returned the entire roster if he wanted to. He didn't. He blew it up instead and still made the NCAAT. Pretty good coaching job indeed.
+2

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 02:53:54 PM »
I always assume I am muted by most. Basically, Scoop for me is the assumption that I am shouting into the void. It's pretty cathartic, to be honest.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 03:02:56 PM »
Did you say something?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback