[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scary Situation in Cape Breton, NS  (Read 6055 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Scary Situation in Cape Breton, NS
« on: September 22, 2022, 10:19:16 PM »
Fiona's path is heading directly towards one of my favorite places in the world.  I don't think they have seen anything quite like this and the potential surge.  My thoughts are with the Maritime Provinces and particularly Nova Scotia.  I really hope these wonderful coastal towns are not completely devastated. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Scary Situation in Cape Breton, NS
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 05:56:07 AM »
Fiona's path is heading directly towards one of my favorite places in the world.  I don't think they have seen anything quite like this and the potential surge.  My thoughts are with the Maritime Provinces and particularly Nova Scotia.  I really hope these wonderful coastal towns are not completely devastated.

Tell that to the people of Bermuda and PR.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 07:43:56 AM »
Tell that to the people of Bermuda and PR.

Well, of course but these are islands that see hurricanes constantly and have some preparation and knowledge of how to deal with them. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 08:01:41 AM »
Well, of course but these are islands that see hurricanes constantly and have some preparation and knowledge of how to deal with them.

Well, Bermuda and Puerto Rico do see hurricanes regularly, but as islands, both are limited by available resources and the difficulty of lifting supplies and manpower from the US mainland to these islands.

Puerto Rico was just blasted by this hurricane and I don't think the suffering there should be lessened by the fact that "it happens all the time."

The prayer should be that the folks are well-prepared and that emergency services are ready to deal with the Maritime Provinces before and after the hurricane hits.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:11:18 AM »
Bermuda seems to have escaped the wrath of Fiona for the most part. Heavy seas, TS force winds.
This could be the strongest hurricane (not storm) to hit Canada.

Meanwhile, TD 9 is predicted to grow into a major hurricane and hit Florida.  >:(
Kid in college is right in the predicted path.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 08:13:03 AM »
Well, Bermuda and Puerto Rico do see hurricanes regularly, but as islands, both are limited by available resources and the difficulty of lifting supplies and manpower from the US mainland to these islands.

Puerto Rico was just blasted by this hurricane and I don't think the suffering there should be lessened by the fact that "it happens all the time."

The prayer should be that the folks are well-prepared and that emergency services are ready to deal with the Maritime Provinces before and after the hurricane hits.

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback when seeing the aftermath of a hurricane on TV and wondering why the recovery efforts are not as perfectly organized and efficient as we think they should be. The news coverage is primarily about property and infrastructure damage with some stories about the immense psychological damage to residents added into the narrative. Lives, homes, and businesses are lost.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 08:32:57 AM »
Homestead and NOLA feel forgotten.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 08:37:53 AM »

I

I didn't mean to lessen the impact in the other countries.  I have not traveled to them like Nova Scotia where I've been many times.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 08:43:11 AM »
Was fortunate to visit Bermuda and stay at a rental residence in the middle of the island.
No fresh water source in Bermuda.  Residents have lime coated roofs on their homes and cisterns under the homes to collect the fresh water.  The cisterns will probably be full to the brim after hurricane Fiona.

Also, fortunate to visit Puerto Rico before hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017.  I do not know if Puerto Rico has recovered from those two category 4 hurricanes.  There was a Scooper living in PR giving updates at the time.  Hopefully the USA gave Puerto Rico the aid it needed to recover and will for Fiona.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 08:45:40 AM by NCMUFan »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 10:22:15 AM »

Yeah but not really.  There were parts of PR that are still destroyed after Maria five years later.  We just stopped talking about them.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 10:24:00 AM »
Was fortunate to visit Bermuda and stay at a rental residence in the middle of the island.
No fresh water source in Bermuda.  Residents have lime coated roofs on their homes and cisterns under the homes to collect the fresh water.  The cisterns will probably be full to the brim after hurricane Fiona.

Also, fortunate to visit Puerto Rico before hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017.  I do not know if Puerto Rico has recovered from those two category 4 hurricanes.  There was a Scooper living in PR giving updates at the time.  Hopefully the USA gave Puerto Rico the aid it needed to recover and will for Fiona.

Maria was a 5.  I haven't been since either, and I absolutely adore PR.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 01:17:06 PM »
Oh, my goodness.   The Oak Island dig!   How will Fiona affect that?!

I guess we will find out over the winter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 01:21:11 PM »

I can already see the last episode of the season storyline that they are currently filming with Rick Lagina saying "there's a once-a-century hurricane coming and we need to wrap up for the season."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 01:23:35 PM »
I expect at least two episodes about Fiona, as well as the narrator foreshadowing for at least 3 others.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 01:44:52 PM »
I expect at least two episodes about Fiona, as well as the narrator foreshadowing for at least 3 others.

"Will Fiona forever hide the Templar Treasure?  Or lost Spanish gold?"

Queue camera pan to Peter & Dave Fornetti in Marquette garb.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 01:50:59 PM »
They always have their Traverse City winery.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 02:03:40 PM »

I keep seeing click bait on the web with captions like "Oak Island treasure found!". No need to fall for it, but they DID find treasure. It's called their History Channel contract. My wife loves the show and I will sometimes watch part of it just to keep her happy. I think they deserve a special award for creating a show that could easily convey their story after editing about 70% of the episode tape. Tape it if you have insomnia. I think it will work every time.

At least I see Marquette gear on the show once in a while, so there's that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 02:07:00 PM »

It's the curse of the Knights Templar. That's what happens when you try to find their treasure.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »
The brothers are a little older than I am.  I remember reading about it when I was 8-9.

And yes, they must be getting close and this is the curse.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »

At least I see Marquette gear on the show once in a while, so there's that.

The nephews are Marquette grads. 

See Marquette Magazine page 32.
https://today.marquette.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Marq_Mag_Fall_2021_FINAL-s.pdf

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »
Meanwhile, TD 9 is predicted to grow into a major hurricane and hit Florida.  >:(
Kid in college is right in the predicted path.

Uhhh, depending on which path, so am I!!!!

We're talking about leaving for a couple of days. Our house is very sturdy (built after the Hurricane Andrew building code changes) and I have a business trip scheduled for NYC next week.

The east coast of Florida won't get hit as hard as the west coast, but, yikes!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2022, 07:34:20 PM »
Path shifted way west, so east. Coast ( and Orlando!) seems safe for now.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 11:26:08 AM »
Be safe Florida Scoopers, especially in Tampa.  Ian is clearly going to get angrier.  The potential storm surge right now doesn't look fun. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2022, 11:55:59 AM »
I blame Scoop for making fun of Ian Anderson's flute.

Be safe Florida Men

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2022, 12:42:57 PM »
Who is evacuating?   All of you stay safe.

feedback