[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wojo Article in The Athletic  (Read 1417 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Wojo Article in The Athletic
« on: September 20, 2022, 05:56:37 AM »
https://theathletic.com/3531387/2022/09/20/steve-wojciechowski-marquette-duke-coaching/

Interesting. Interesting point that there were "Fire Wojo" chants, cited at the end of the 2020-21 season, the season that most of us weren't allowed to go to.

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Wojo Article in The Athletic
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 07:49:02 AM »
https://theathletic.com/3531387/2022/09/20/steve-wojciechowski-marquette-duke-coaching/

Interesting. Interesting point that there were "Fire Wojo" chants, cited at the end of the 2020-21 season, the season that most of us weren't allowed to go to.

Whoops
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 08:00:30 AM »

Perhaps the chants were coming from the MU bench.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »
Glad it's working out for him, but I doubt a dude living on a ranch in Utah with $9 million in his pocket needs a redemption story.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 08:41:35 AM »
It seems like a resume and a recruiting call.  "I’m a better coach today than the day I got fired at Marquette."

Anyway, good luck to him.  I could see him on an NBA staff.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 09:14:29 AM »
There were a few factual errors (including the one already referenced about Fire Wojo chants), and some details that were glossed over. And it's never a good look when a public figure who doesn't perform well enough in a high-profile job paints himself as a victim. But I'm glad Davis wrote the article.

The Athletic's audience goes way beyond Marquette (obviously) and Wojo is a well-known national figure, so it's certainly fair game for a what's-he-up-to article.

It seems Wojo has found an inner peace, and it looks like he's enjoying his family very much. He wasn't a good college basketball coach at Marquette, but I wish him fulfillment in his life, as I do for us all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 09:28:20 AM »
Well at least he had the Park City Minors riding a hot streak at the end of the season.  Didnt know those sixth-graders had it in them after losing their first 5 games. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 10:25:51 AM »
CEO with a golden parachute
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 11:36:19 AM »
Happy for Wojo that he found himself. Seems like a genuinely good guy.

In some ways, Michael Jordan had some of the same problems as Wojo. It's one thing to out-work everybody, which both did. It's another thing to expect the commitment each had to their craft from everyone they work with. That was just special.

I wish he'd said more about the Hausers. That just rather hung out there. He had to have some strong emotional feelings about it. I give him credit for not trashing them, but I sure would like to have learned more about the facts. That moment seemed like a defining moment in his Marquette career.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 12:54:58 PM »

Yup, great writing. I like this part:
After 10 months of playing professionally in Poland, Wojciechowski returned to Duke as an assistant, where he began his climb in the profession. “Most times, assistants are anonymous,” he says. “I never really experienced that.” After five seasons on the Duke bench, Wojciechowski left in the spring of 2014 to become the head coach at Marquette.

Per wiki it was a bit more than 5 years on Duke's bench:
Wojciechowski was then offered a coaching job by Krzyzewski and began his career as an assistant coach in 1999.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 09:30:35 PM »
CEO with a golden parachute

If golden parachutes are only given to CEOs who fail miserably, then yes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 10:16:26 PM »

They’re sometimes given to CEOs who fail miserably, but not only.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 05:21:17 AM »

Many are.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 08:59:06 AM »
They’re sometimes given to CEOs who fail miserably, but not only.

Usually, golden parachutes are given to CEOs to protect them in the event of a merger or acquisition where the CEO is not the surviving leader. Lesser packages are often given to COOs, CFOs and other critical corporate officers.

The purpose of these agreements is simple: There is a strong demand for high quality CEOs. The market clearing function is compensation. Quite frankly, a CEO is not going to join a company if the Board or recalcitrant shareholders can remove them months into their tenure. The golden parachutes give them the security to lead in the direction the CEO seeks to go.

Of course, there are cases, like a company for which I formerly worked, where the CEO didn't understand our business, made horrible acquisition after horrible acquisition (none worked out) and was forced to liquidate the company after a hedge fund challenged her strategic vision. Sadly, after destroying shareholder value, she was given a $28.7 million goodbye kiss. Boards of Directors hand out crappy deals like this all too often. Most, if not all, of the $28.7 million should have gone to shareholders as reparations for her bad leadership.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »
Usually, golden parachutes are given to CEOs to protect them in the event of a merger or acquisition where the CEO is not the surviving leader. Lesser packages are often given to COOs, CFOs and other critical corporate officers.

The purpose of these agreements is simple: There is a strong demand for high quality CEOs. The market clearing function is compensation. Quite frankly, a CEO is not going to join a company if the Board or recalcitrant shareholders can remove them months into their tenure. The golden parachutes give them the security to lead in the direction the CEO seeks to go.

Of course, there are cases, like a company for which I formerly worked, where the CEO didn't understand our business, made horrible acquisition after horrible acquisition (none worked out) and was forced to liquidate the company after a hedge fund challenged her strategic vision. Sadly, after destroying shareholder value, she was given a $28.7 million goodbye kiss. Boards of Directors hand out crappy deals like this all too often. Most, if not all, of the $28.7 million should have gone to shareholders as reparations for her bad leadership.

Sadly, there are all too many cases like the one you describe involving your company. I was with a company where that happened, too. So that's two out of two just that you and I have had personal experience with, and we could find many many more with by googling. But yes, the majority of golden parachutes are given to CEOs as you describe in your first two paragraphs. Thankfully.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 11:39:34 AM »

How was working for Marissa Mayer?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 12:23:31 PM »

Mayer wasn't a good CEO, but I'm pretty sure she more than doubled Yahoo's stock price during her tenure.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 01:24:20 PM »

I don't know. It wasn't there.

What's more amazing is one of our competitors hired our former CEO to lead their company. They're not exactly doing well either as our former CEO is leading from her home on the Pacific Coast (when the company is in the Midwest).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 02:55:40 PM »
Mayer wasn't a good CEO, but I'm pretty sure she more than doubled Yahoo's stock price during her tenure.
Almost all because they had made a big investment in Alibaba, in 2005, well before Mayer came on board.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback