'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: And Then Along Came Jones?  (Read 12125 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: And Then Along Came Jones?
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2022, 06:39:18 PM »
I think he's been one of the better offensive players in practice, not necessarily best overall players and Shaka is definitely a coach that values defense over offense. But I think he will be better than Froling and I think he's got a lot of upside.

Thanks TAMU. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2022, 06:44:45 PM »
Fair.   However, there are 11 players and, according to Coach Nevada, they are playing even faster this summer.   If MU is going to play faster, all 11 are going to play until they slow down.   So, I don't KNOW if any of the freshmen are going to be huge contributors.   I do know if MU is going to play fast, they are all going to have to play minutes like Joplin and early Stevie last year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2022, 06:58:30 PM »
Fair.   However, there are 11 players and, according to Coach Nevada, they are playing even faster this summer.   If MU is going to play faster, all 11 are going to play until they slow down.   So, I don't KNOW if any of the freshmen are going to be huge contributors.   I do know if MU is going to play fast, they are all going to have to play minutes like Joplin and early Stevie last year.

Agreed - he’ll play a role next year but it won’t be a leading one as someone said earlier.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2022, 07:39:48 PM »
Why are you anti Marquette? You seem to be the most negative nellie on scoop.

Teal?

I mean, I even stood by Wojo for far too long.

And …

How was that post anti marquette or negative?

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2022, 08:20:19 PM »
What makes you think gold will be a starter/main contributor?
We have plenty of guards and very few big men. We need Gold to be good, if we are going to be good.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2022, 08:26:53 PM »
9th???!!!

No confidence in Oso?
Oso cannot do it on his own.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2022, 08:30:57 PM »
We’re in big trouble if he’s ahead of Joplin or Omax on the depth chart.

His best shot at consistent minutes will be behind oso. He may be a decent shooter next year, but lack of athleticism and strength will limit his minutes year 1.
I do not expect him to be better than Omax. All Joplin could do last year was come in and shoot threes.
Gold as a freshman hopefully is better than Joplin was as freshman.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2022, 08:44:15 PM »
Adama sanogo/Ryan kalkbrenner v Ben gold on the defensive end  :-\
Joplin is not going to be able to guard them. Oso and Prosper are going to play the most. I do not see Gold as a center. I am saying he needs to be a better option than Joplin off the bench.

panda

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2022, 09:02:03 PM »
I do not expect him to be better than Omax. All Joplin could do last year was come in and shoot threes.
Gold as a freshman hopefully is better than Joplin was as freshman.

Joplin’s role last year was to spell omax and Justin. Take a couple shots in a 2 minute ish stretch and compete defensively. He did a completely adequate job throughout the season and made some big buckets. 

Just my personal opinion, but Joplin will be first or second leading scorer this season. Saying gold will outperform him is dexter akanno mixtape levels of hyperbole.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2022, 09:11:11 PM »
Joplin’s role last year was to spell omax and Justin. Take a couple shots in a 2 minute ish stretch and compete defensively. He did a completely adequate job throughout the season and made some big buckets. 

Just my personal opinion, but Joplin will be first or second leading scorer this season. Saying gold will outperform him is dexter akanno mixtape levels of hyperbole.

First or second leading scorer? I don’t see that happening. I just don’t think he’ll get the minutes for that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2022, 09:17:42 PM »
First or second leading scorer? I don’t see that happening. I just don’t think he’ll get the minutes for that.

Starting five is -
Mitchell
Kolek
Jones/Joplin
Omax/Joplin
Oso

I really love Jop’s game and would start him if I’m shaka, but practically, he provides a lot more flexibility as the first option to spell a guard or Omax after the first tv time out.

Jop is way too talented offensively not to get major minutes this season. Especially with a roster that doesn’t have a bonafide go to scorer.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2022, 09:22:59 PM »
Joplin’s role last year was to spell omax and Justin. Take a couple shots in a 2 minute ish stretch and competent defensively. He did a completely adequate job throughout the season and made some big buckets. 

Nope he wasn't. Him and Kam were clearly the worst two defenders on the team, and his defense was far off being competent. Filtering out garbage time, when Joplin was on the court, marquette gave up 1.068 ppp. That was the worst on the team. Unlike Kam, David offense wasn't really up to scratch either. Sub 30% from three,  50% from the line. Nothing to indicate high level scoring beyond a willingness to take shots. He refused to rebound.

If he is a positive contributor next year. That is a coaching success in itself. I would expect Wrightsil or Gold to play over him unless our offense bottoms out to a dangerously low level.

panda

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2022, 09:27:56 PM »
Nope he wasn't. Him and Kam were clearly the worst two defenders on the team, and his defense was far off being competent. Filtering out garbage time, when Joplin was on the court, marquette gave up 1.068 ppp. That was the worst on the team. Unlike Kam, David offense wasn't really up to scratch either. Sub 30% from three,  50% from the line. Nothing to indicate high level scoring beyond a willingness to take shots. He refused to rebound.

If he is a positive contributor next year. That is a coaching success in itself. I would expect Wrightsil or Gold to play over him unless our offense bottoms out to a dangerously low level.

Meant to say compete - my bad. Agree he struggled defensively

panda

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2022, 09:32:35 PM »

Watching him in high school and aau told me he is a more than capable scorer. How many coaches have you heard say a player will end up being the programs leading scorer when it’s all said and done?

Using stats to bury a guy who played like 5 mins/game in conference isn’t a fair reflection of his overall abilities. He played the role he was asked last season and will most likely play a much larger role this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2022, 09:45:49 PM »
He refused to rebound.

Shaka: “We need you to rebound, Jop.”

Jop: “Sorry, coach, but I refuse.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2022, 09:48:10 PM »
Watching him in high school and aau told me he is a more than capable scorer. How many coaches have you heard say a player will end up being the programs leading scorer when it’s all said and done?

Using stats to bury a guy who played like 5 mins/game in conference isn’t a fair reflection of his overall abilities. He played the role he was asked last season and will most likely play a much larger role this year.

So it’s not good to use actual stats from games but it’s fine to recall what he did in high school and AAU?

Look I like his potential upside but really think he has a couple steps to take before he can be what you think he can.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2022, 10:05:45 PM »
Insiders please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Gold supposed to be a major contributor this year?  I thought he was supposed to be one of the better players in practice.  Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part.  Don’t want Froling part two.

Shaka has thrown cold water every time there's an assertion he'll have a major role. That said, everyone who watches him comes away excited with the offensive potential.

The problem is I'm pretty sure he's a 4, not a 5. He'll have a role against teams that play drop coverage on bigs and can create matchup issues, but is his rugby background enough to stand up to Big East physicality?

From time to time he'll probably get run, but if he can't defend, he'll be next to Joplin on the bench.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2022, 10:21:46 PM »
My current guess at a starting 5 is:

Kolek
Mitchell
Omax
Wrightsil
Oso

I think Kam will play a super sub role (more minutes than multiple starters but come off the bench).

Joplin and Sean Jones for the next two rotation spots.

Gold in the 9 spot.

Ross/Itejere getting spot minutes

Ellis redshirtting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2022, 12:50:59 AM »

Kolek
Mitchell
Omax
Wrightsil
Oso

I think Kam will play a super sub role (more minutes than multiple starters but come off the bench).

Gold in the 9 spot.

Ellis redshirtting.

Can we rebound the basketball?  The three guys playing the 3/4 have to clean the class TAMU.  They simply have to, it's non-negotiable.  And that includes attacking the offensive glass on occasion as well.  If they can hold their own, and be serviceable helping defend the interior, we very well could be in business.  Still, this is my primary concern.  Their mindset should be to rebound with the same ferocity as Bears or bald eagles take out salmon. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2022, 01:17:13 AM »

Kolek
Mitchell
Omax
Wrightsil
Oso

Gold in the 9 spot.

Ellis redshirtting.

That starting 5 may not have a player who can get there own shot.  I think you need a little bit more O, so I would start Jones instead..  Can not defend the other
teams 2, pull him right away for Mitchell.  Then take out Wrightsil and bring in Jop or Gold for some more O.  Shaka has a lot of options this year.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2022, 08:06:34 AM »
Only, if Gold is not good.

Seems Gold could be in front of Itejere on the depth chart early on

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2022, 08:12:46 AM »
That starting 5 may not have a player who can get there own shot.  I think you need a little bit more O, so I would start Jones instead..  Can not defend the other
teams 2, pull him right away for Mitchell.  Then take out Wrightsil and bring in Jop or Gold for some more O.  Shaka has a lot of options this year.

That would be my fear with that starting lineup as well. Where is the scoring coming from?  Oso needs to develop an outside shot.  Kolek better have his going as well.  Should be interesting.  Can’t believe Kam and Joplin are incapable of playing defense. They are athletic and long enough.  Let’s hope Shaka has coached them up.  We’ll need there scoring punch.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2022, 08:21:52 AM »
We were worried last year about where scoring was going to come from. And it worked out fine. Players and systems evolve. Shaka will eventually work out a rotation that will take advantage of this. IMO defense is going to be the larger issue this year. Kuath, Elliott and Morsell were all above average defenders and Justin was no slouch.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
We were worried last year about where scoring was going to come from. And it worked out fine. Players and systems evolve. Shaka will eventually work out a rotation that will take advantage of this. IMO defense is going to be the larger issue this year. Kuath, Elliott and Morsell were all above average defenders and Justin was no slouch.

Trust the process
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2022, 08:28:57 AM »

Kolek
Mitchell
Omax
Wrightsil
Oso

Gold in the 9 spot.

Ellis redshirtting.

I think all of this is reasonable. I had Kam in for Stevie, though, but setting the tone defensively + having off the bench instant offense may push it to your lineup

Would love to see Sean Jones, Jop or Gold step up so much that they are a big part of the conversation … just unsure as of yet
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback