[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: And Then Along Came Jones?  (Read 12131 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
And Then Along Came Jones?
« on: September 17, 2022, 10:55:44 AM »
Could this be the year where we turn the corner, literally and figuratively, in the backcourt.?  During our decade of mediocrity we have have not had an explosive blow-by guy with handles. ....a.k.a. zoomability.  When you have a kid that can get into the paint and create it absolutely changes everything. 

Jones squared could be the beginning of a new era in MU hoops.  The emergence of Kam's game excites me greatly. He's a young man that can get buckets a la Nick Van Exel.  What I think we will see is more effectiveness off the bounce from Kam, increased upper body strength, and better control and shot selection.

And let's not forget Stevie and Kolek.  We have great potential on the perimeter and guys with multiple skill-sets.  Obviously the glass and interior is a bit of a question mark.  We need O-Max and Oso in particular to find a way to defend inside and usurp rebs.  But I expect a lot of small ball in '22-23.  Maybe Joplin breaks out?  Losing Lewis clearly hurts but we have a number of guys capable of elevating their play.  I fully expect this group to be super competitive and as good or better than last year.  There will be more balance, more transition hoops, less predictability and an exciting group 1-12.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 10:57:30 AM by MuggsyB »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: And Then Along Came Jones?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 11:22:44 AM »
Could this be the year where we turn the corner, literally and figuratively, in the backcourt.?  During our decade of mediocrity we have have not had an explosive blow-by guy with handles. ....a.k.a. zoomability.  When you have a kid that can get into the paint and create it absolutely changes everything. 

Jones squared could be the beginning of a new era in MU hoops.  The emergence of Kam's game excites me greatly. He's a young man that can get buckets a la Nick Van Exel.  What I think we will see is more effectiveness off the bounce from Kam, increased upper body strength, and better control and shot selection.

And let's not forget Stevie and Kolek.  We have great potential on the perimeter and guys with multiple skill-sets.  Obviously the glass and interior is a bit of a question mark.  We need O-Max and Oso in particular to find a way to defend inside and usurp rebs.  But I expect a lot of small ball in '22-23.  Maybe Joplin breaks out?  Losing Lewis clearly hurts but we have a number of guys capable of elevating their play.  I fully expect this group to be super competitive and as good or better than last year.  There will be more balance, more transition hoops, less predictability and an exciting group 1-12.

Well said. I believe you're point on. Let's play ball!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 11:34:04 AM »
Kam could easily be the best guard next year because of his offensive upside.

But only Emarion, Joplin, and the walkons had worse NET ratings than him last year. Lets pump the breaks a little. Its not "early september" hype worthy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 11:46:01 AM »
Lets pump the breaks a little. Its not "early september" hype worthy.

Let him be.   Muggsy gotta muggsy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 01:21:46 PM »
I needed a zoomability reference, its been a while.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 01:32:30 PM »
Let him be.   Muggsy gotta muggsy.

Here's Muggsy:

Put on Marquette gear, start a new thread, put gear away.  Get new Marquette gear, put on, start a new thread......repeat. 

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 01:44:31 PM »
Here's Muggsy:

Put on Marquette gear, start a new thread, put gear away.  Get new Marquette gear, put on, start a new thread......repeat.

LMAO!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 01:48:20 PM »
Here's Muggsy:

Exactly.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »
I needed a zoomability reference, its been a while.

I liked the “usurp” reference to rebounds. 😂
Muggsy is right….We need to establish some BigEast backcourt hegemony. And it starts with big, er medium size (for now) guards snaring some unlikely rebounds.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:16:36 PM by GoFastAndWin »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 08:50:30 PM »
ppl putting massive expectations on the 5 10.frosh.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 09:36:04 PM »
I liked the “usurp” reference to rebounds. 😂
Muggsy is right….We need to establish some BigEast backcourt hegemony. And it starts with big, er medium size (for now) guards snaring some unlikely rebounds.
No expectations for rebounds, rebounds no matta.
Goal is National Championship

panda

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 07:44:14 AM »
I think Stevie sees the most minutes at Pg this year. We haven’t had a player on the roster in years whose defense gave him minutes early in his career. Love the energy and effectiveness he brought day 1 on that side of the floor. By the end of the season, he was making plays on the offensive end of the floor as well. Hes going to be one of if not the most improved player next year imo.

I see Jones as a similar energy type role guy off the bench that Stevie played last year. Completely different players but will fill the same spot/need in the rotation this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 08:04:16 AM »
ppl putting massive expectations on the 5 10.frosh.

A few.   Not that widespread.    I think we will need more from Gold than we do from Sean.       I think SJ (perfect for a Jesuit school) and Ross are going to be depth and situational.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
A few.   Not that widespread.    I think we will need more from Gold than we do from Sean.       I think SJ (perfect for a Jesuit school) and Ross are going to be depth and situational.

Stevie was what I'd call a "situational" player last season. He'd most sit, with many games of only 2 or 3 or 5 minutes, but then Shaka would throw him out there to harass an opposing guard.

I sure hope we get a lot more out of Sean Jones than a similar "situational" contribution, tower, at least the way I think we'd both define the term.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 09:19:47 AM »

Gold can be a difference maker.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2022, 10:10:17 AM »
My roster assessment:

Tier 1: Penciled in starters

Kolek
O-Max
Oso

Tier 2: Fringe starters and rotation players

S. Jones
Mitchell
K. Jones
Wright
Gold

Tier 3: Wildcard
Joplin

Tier 4: Wait and see
Ross
Itejere

Injured/Probable redshirt
Ellis

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 10:14:37 AM »
I would move Kam to 1.1 tier
Wright to a 1.25
I believe Jop will be a Tier 1.5player.

panda

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »
Gold in front of Joplin is criminal

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2022, 10:40:19 AM »
I would move Kam to 1.1 tier
Wright to a 1.25
I believe Jop will be a Tier 1.5player.

Wrightsil and Joplin's production are a huge key to the ultimate success of this team.  My gut feeling is Gold won't play all that much.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 11:30:42 AM »
Wrightsil and Joplin's production are a huge key to the ultimate success of this team.  My gut feeling is Gold won't play all that much.

Insiders please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Gold supposed to be a major contributor this year?  I thought he was supposed to be one of the better players in practice.  Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part.  Don’t want Froling part two.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 11:41:08 AM »
Insiders please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Gold supposed to be a major contributor this year?  I thought he was supposed to be one of the better players in practice.  Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part.  Don’t want Froling part two.

I hope I'm wrong but it is usually takes time for bigs to develop.  I fully expect Wrightsil to be a major contributor. My guess is we start either:

Kolek
Kam
ZWright
O-Max
Oso

Or we start Stevie instead of Zach. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »
Kolek expectations?

I really hope he finds his shot this season.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 12:04:10 PM »
Gold in front of Joplin is criminal
Only, if Gold is not good.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »
I think we are worse than 9th place, if Gold is not good enough to play a significant role.
Joplin would need a huge step up (which is certainly possible) to be a game changer.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2022, 12:16:01 PM »
I think we are worse than 9th place, if Gold is not good enough to play a significant role.
Joplin would need a huge step up (which is certainly possible) to be a game changer.

9th???!!!

No confidence in Oso?