[Today at 09:08:06 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:07:16 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette Madness Cancelled  (Read 11156 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Marquette Madness Cancelled
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2022, 10:50:45 AM »
But now that it's been reported as cancelled from Marquette athletics, that's still exactly where they sit.

It would be like Marquette cancelling graduation ceremonies for 2025 and just mailing diplomas instead. They may not have put graduation on the actual calendar yet, but like Marquette Madness, it's an expected thing that happens every year.

Not a bad idea. I already had my job lined up ( in New Jersey) so I opted for the University to mail me my diploma. Nothing more boring in my opinion is sitting there listening to some politician/celebrity giving a commencement speech, throwing your cap in the air and everyone self congratulating each other for an outcome that should be expected after putting in all the work; and they don't even hand you your diploma at the commencement. I got more satisfaction receiving my first paycheck.

My parents were disappointed though and for that I do have some regrets.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2022, 10:53:16 AM »
The goal is getting the 3k of student season tickets holders at the Central Michigan game. Also, getting Marquette students who don't have season tickets or ever been to a game to be coming to this game.

Focus also will be on the practice at Fiserv Forum. Reviews from people that actually enjoy that event.

This.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »
Social media engagement with the team throughout the off-season and preseason also makes this event a bit unnecessary.  Now they can post well-edited videos almost daily to hype up the student fan base.  Avoiding an awkwardly paced pseudo-practice was probably welcomed by the players and Shaka. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »
Madness drew no one in 2020 because it was 2020. It had minimal attendance last year because of a pandemic and masking requirements. A roughly 25-year tradition isn't exactly "we tried this a couple times and it didn't go great."

If Marquette wants to generate excitement around the new regime that already outperformed expectations, events like this are how you do it. Might that mean reimagining or innovating it? Sure. But cancelling it when the only other preseason options are the STH-only event at Fiserv and the kid-themed Haunted Hoops (particularly with no exhibition) seems short-sighted.

Frankly, their marketing recently has sucked. I never received my picking time mailer or point update this year. As I've been incredibly busy with a work transition, I missed my pick time because of that. Moving a buy game to the Al, cancelling Madness, the poorly attended picnic, and hiring a social media director with no Twitter experience isn't exactly a "we know what we're doing" approach.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2022, 12:05:34 PM »
Madness drew no one in 2020 because it was 2020. It had minimal attendance last year because of a pandemic and masking requirements. A roughly 25-year tradition isn't exactly "we tried this a couple times and it didn't go great."

If Marquette wants to generate excitement around the new regime that already outperformed expectations, events like this are how you do it. Might that mean reimagining or innovating it? Sure. But cancelling it when the only other preseason options are the STH-only event at Fiserv and the kid-themed Haunted Hoops (particularly with no exhibition) seems short-sighted.

Frankly, their marketing recently has sucked. I never received my picking time mailer or point update this year. As I've been incredibly busy with a work transition, I missed my pick time because of that. Moving a buy game to the Al, cancelling Madness, the poorly attended picnic, and hiring a social media director with no Twitter experience isn't exactly a "we know what we're doing" approach.

I think these are legitimate criticisms. But I think when people are saying that losing Madness isn't that big of a deal, they are reflecting on what Madness was back in the day compared to how it has come off recently.  I agree that they should be doing SOMETHING to generate excitement, but I just feel that the current Madness concept was tired.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2022, 12:13:26 PM »
Pretty disappointing.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2022, 12:15:59 PM »
My guess is that the players voted not to do it. I hate to say it but it had gotten kind of stale. I prefer the Haunted Hoops event
Has a date/time been announced for Haunted Hoops?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2022, 12:18:48 PM »
If they wanted to do some event to generate hype, why not combine the STH picnic with a welcome back picnic for the students hosted by the Men’s and Women’s teams? Have a set time that coaches will talk and introduce the players. You could have a hoop setup and a table to register for tickets.

If there’s one thing I remember, free food brought a decent turnout for college students.

I feel like the period of the Drake’s of the world going to UK’s Madness set the expectations so high that anything else is kind of a letdown. Frankly, lack of success also hurts the excitement.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2022, 12:19:04 PM »

I agree with this analysis.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2022, 12:22:33 PM »
Not yet. It's a bit early.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2022, 12:22:59 PM »
For another school example, Xavier hold's Muskie Madness on Parent's Weekend as one of the family events.  Men's and Women's teams hold scrimmages and all people who attend get a t-shirt.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2022, 12:26:00 PM »

If they follow last year's calendar, the STH practice would be Thursday, October 13 & Haunted Hoops would be Sunday, October 30. Personally, I look forward to HH the most. Fantastic event.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2022, 12:27:11 PM »

This is especially disappointing because Shaka and his VCU team took Richmond by storm. The entire metro area bought in. Of course, success on the court was a huge factor but their band and the way the students and other fans bought into Havoc and the game experience was contagious. It fed on itself. Granted, VCU being very strong in the performing (as well as the visual) arts helped with the creation of a great band, but I'm trying to focus on the overall effect.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2022, 12:34:55 PM »

I think it has lost its luster because of the practice rule changes. Though our relationship with FOX  has been beneficial I always thought college game day on ESPN really highlighted the programs that hosted the show. Despite that many here feel Crean still sucks he did sell Marquette basketball more than any coach in the last 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Madness_(basketball)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2022, 12:42:36 PM »
Right, but MU's statement kinda felt that way- "We are focusing promotional efforts on our regular-season games at both Fiserv Forum and the Al McGuire Center..."

Speaking of which, I reached out to them a week or so ago on when the STH single game tickets sales are now that the BE schedule is out? Crickets...

Can't sell tickets if you don't have a broad communication on timelines and process.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2022, 12:49:57 PM »
I mean, I get it, but that just sounds like something that schools say when they need a reason to say something.  They don't want to say "Madness has been drawing less people because it got boring."

Madness is drawing less people as they made it a student only event during homecoming (this weekend).  Students stuck around for the giveaways and intros and would leave.

That said, MU has a student only game this year at The Al instead.  More so, our next two recruiting classes are full so this isn't a big opportunity for recruits. The CMU game will be a better opportunity for future recruits.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:53:55 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2022, 12:51:31 PM »
Get back to the block party.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2022, 12:54:15 PM »
Maybe they were afraid of another convocation-type protest…
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2022, 12:54:36 PM »
God damn cancel culture

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2022, 01:20:52 PM »
Speaking of which, I reached out to them a week or so ago on when the STH single game tickets sales are now that the BE schedule is out? Crickets...

That stuff always happens in October.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
But will complaining about no Madness be as fulfilling as complaining about how much Madness stunk?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2022, 01:55:44 PM »
That stuff always happens in October.

Again, my complaint is about communication and process, just like in this case with Madness where the student newspaper prompted the AD. When are these open scrimmages, when are the kickoff events, what are the packs, are there limits on single game purchases, is there a Halloween event, what are the costs, is there a Bud Light corner? When is NMD?

If MU's focus is selling, they need to market. It's like for the Summer BBQ event, the communication came shortly before and MU was surprised by the low turn out/sign up.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2022, 02:28:17 PM »
For another school example, Xavier hold's Muskie Madness on Parent's Weekend as one of the family events.  Men's and Women's teams hold scrimmages and all people who attend get a t-shirt.

This would be perfect.  Great idea.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2022, 02:35:26 PM »
Not yet. It's a bit early.
Why?  Is it a scheduling issue for MU to go out 1.5 months at the AL because of other sports/needs that would take priority or does MU basketball need flexibility?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:38:14 PM by avid1010 »

feedback