[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: House Buying  (Read 16547 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: House Buying
« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2022, 03:14:12 PM »
hards

What is your fixation on guys blowing each other? Two posts this afternoon on the very topic. Honestly, it seems strange that an accepting guy like you would ever need to make such references. Your posts come across as anti gay and I thought we were past that way of thinking in the USA.

Hey man, I never said it was a bad thing at all.  Sounds like a good time, actually.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #251 on: August 25, 2022, 03:20:38 PM »
Hell, have at it, hey?

#freeziggy2022v2

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #252 on: August 25, 2022, 03:22:06 PM »
TAMU

Truth be told, I think there has been provocation from all sides over the years and nothing shocks me. That said, I do think Sultan has everything that comes his way because he has style that I think goes beyond friendly jabs. So, I guess I think ziggy was honest, which I do find refreshing. Plus, I know ziggy and do not think he is bitter or sad. I find him to be one of the cleverest guys on scoop.

You new here, kin?

Is that really how you guys go about Scoop? Anytime Sultan or another poster who has pissed you off enough posts, you attack them regardless of what has been said in a thread? I mean I remember things that others have said, and it certainly colors my opinion of specific posters, but I don't go into random threads and insult them when they haven't said anything provoking in that thread.

I really never thought of either of you as bitter or sad. Ziggy seems pissy at times but not bitter or sad. But if you're really following around Sultan to different threads to insult him because he was mean to you in the past...that does seem a little bitter and sad. A little high schoolish too. I mean at least be more clever than "heartless prick".
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #253 on: August 25, 2022, 03:22:54 PM »
Why you gotta dox me like that, 4ever.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #254 on: August 25, 2022, 03:23:12 PM »
Careful now, I'm not sure you'll be able to breathe with that much of Ziggy's member down your throat.

#wouldn'twantyoutochoke

#flipmopesquad

this sounds like a been there done that comment
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #255 on: August 25, 2022, 03:24:16 PM »
this sounds like a been there done that comment

I wonder if Goose will show up to defend me from your anti-gay rhetoric.

I'm in need of a Lancelot!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2022, 03:29:06 PM »
TAMU

I think you know my main reason for visiting scoop and it is not to have a confrontation with Fluff.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #257 on: August 25, 2022, 03:30:56 PM »
So I think what most of you are saying is "Congrats UWW!"

Seriously though, I don't think the letter's are a bad trend by themselves.  Life isn't all transactional and money isn't everything, this is a way to facilitate that idea between two groups who may agree with that point.  Can you run afoul of some discrimination issues?  YES!  But the realtor can be a gatekeeper on that, making sure there's no obvious legal issues or information that can be used to discriminate (one way or another).   

I know though that if a realtor just straight up refused to send the letter until after an offer is accepted without justifying it based on content, I'd be pissed and I would find myself a new buyer's agent.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »
TAMU

I think you know my main reason for visiting scoop and it is not to have a confrontation with Fluff.

No one ever said it was your main reason but you just cosigned that behavior. Lately it seems to be Ziggy's.

EDIT: Holy crap, I was curious so I looked at Ziggy's posts. Besides one post about season tickets and another about JFB, Ziggy doesn't mention Marquette basketball once in his last 233 posts. At least 80% of them are insults towards one of MU82, Sultan, Pakuni, Hards, TSmith, or Jockey (maybe missing a name or two), about 10% are posts about other sports, 8% are other, and 2% are telling GRR Martin "Finish the books you fat unnatural carnal knowledge" (which I couldn't agree with more)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 03:51:37 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2022, 03:44:35 PM »
TAMU

I’m ready for the season to start.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2022, 04:03:57 PM »
The irony of the meat eating men flocking to this thread to defend their own, mere hours after mocking the "mope squad" for flocking to this thread to defend their own, is very, very rich!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »
So I think what most of you are saying is "Congrats UWW!"

Seriously though, I don't think the letter's are a bad trend by themselves.  Life isn't all transactional and money isn't everything, this is a way to facilitate that idea between two groups who may agree with that point.  Can you run afoul of some discrimination issues?  YES!  But the realtor can be a gatekeeper on that, making sure there's no obvious legal issues or information that can be used to discriminate (one way or another).   

I know though that if a realtor just straight up refused to send the letter until after an offer is accepted without justifying it based on content, I'd be pissed and I would find myself a new buyer's agent.

How is a buyer's agent supposed to judge that vis-a-vis another letter submitted by another's agent?  Hypothetically, what if you wrote a very nice letter about starting a family or whatever, and the other buyer was an older mixed race couple with no children? Now there are potential issues.

Life isn't always transactional, but there is plenty of history that shows that this can be abused - many times in ways that are completely unintentional no doubt.  But that is still problematic.

This is why the Chicago Assocation of Realtors is basically advising its members to stay away from the entire practice.  It makes sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2022, 05:03:40 PM »
An NFL player bought a house nearby . Paid a huge price per square foot $1500. Another loony person bought the house next to that for a similar per square foot Unfortunately the taxes will most likely rose for everyone else in the neighborhood .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2022, 10:33:34 PM »
An NFL player bought a house nearby . Paid a huge price per square foot $1500. Another loony person bought the house next to that for a similar per square foot Unfortunately the taxes will most likely rose for everyone else in the neighborhood .

Sounds like you'll make a killing selling your house to an NFL player. Congrats 9-9-9 ... pretty damn good for a dead guy!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2022, 12:05:07 PM »

How is a buyer's agent supposed to judge that vis-a-vis another letter submitted by another's agent?  Hypothetically, what if you wrote a very nice letter about starting a family or whatever, and the other buyer was an older mixed race couple with no children? Now there are potential issues.

Life isn't always transactional, but there is plenty of history that shows that this can be abused - many times in ways that are completely unintentional no doubt.  But that is still problematic.

This is why the Chicago Assocation of Realtors is basically advising its members to stay away from the entire practice.  It makes sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by asking how a buyers agent would know what another buyer (besides their own buyer) letter contained... The buyers agent would only know what their own buyer's letter contained.  The sellers agent would see both, but why would a buyers agent?

And you can come up with all sorts of ways a seller could discriminate.  They could just look up the potential buyers online... they have the names and addresses on the offer.  Most people have a social media presence of some sort.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #265 on: August 29, 2022, 10:20:46 PM »

And you can come up with all sorts of ways a seller could discriminate.  They could just look up the potential buyers online... they have the names and addresses on the offer.  Most people have a social media presence of some sort.

It's all about proof, and that letter could be used as evidence.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2022, 12:47:46 PM »
Sounds like we have consensus…

UWW2MU2slammer
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »
It's all about proof, and that letter could be used as evidence.

That's no proof of anything.  You can't show intent of the seller based on a letter that the buyer sends.  It would be pretty hard to connect the dots, especially if the letter doesn't overtly give away any information regarding protected categories.

Sounds like we have consensus…

UWW2MU2slammer

Whoa whoa whoa...  I'm the buyer in this case!  I'm not going to jail, the sellers are!

Although, we just listed our current house and my neighbor asked me if we could sell to a "hot single mom."  I told him I'd see what I could do.   ::)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2022, 03:40:01 PM »
That's no proof of anything.  You can't show intent of the seller based on a letter that the buyer sends.  It would be pretty hard to connect the dots, especially if the letter doesn't overtly give away any information regarding protected categories.

Hypothetically...

Someone gets two offers

Offer One:  $250,000 from a white couple who writes a beautiful letter about how they would like to raise their children in that house. 

Offer Two:  $260,000, but otherwise the same as offer one, from a gay, mixed race couple who writes a pretty crappy letter detailing that they don't plan to have any children.

Can't you see how problematic this can be if the buyer choses #1?  And why an agent would want to stay far away from that?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2022, 04:39:38 PM »
No one ever said it was your main reason but you just cosigned that behavior. Lately it seems to be Ziggy's.

EDIT: Holy crap, I was curious so I looked at Ziggy's posts. Besides one post about season tickets and another about JFB, Ziggy doesn't mention Marquette basketball once in his last 233 posts. At least 80% of them are insults towards one of MU82, Sultan, Pakuni, Hards, TSmith, or Jockey (maybe missing a name or two), about 10% are posts about other sports, 8% are other, and 2% are telling GRR Martin "Finish the books you fat unnatural carnal knowledge" (which I couldn't agree with more)

Rent free, aína?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2022, 05:01:39 PM »

Hypothetically...

Someone gets two offers

Offer One:  $250,000 from a white couple who writes a beautiful letter about how they would like to raise their children in that house. 

Offer Two:  $260,000, but otherwise the same as offer one, from a gay, mixed race couple who writes a pretty crappy letter detailing that they don't plan to have any children.

Can't you see how problematic this can be if the buyer choses #1?  And why an agent would want to stay far away from that?

A big issue is the real estate agent’s behavior in the process. I theoretically could sell to anyone I want, no questions asked, and be as stupid as I want to be. Or as bigoted as Archie Bunker. It’s tough to prove an individual case, no matter how bad.

But if the real estate agent, for any personal reputational reasons, pushes a sale away from a protected class, then there is a problem. Especially if there is a pattern of behavior that can be traced. Then, anti-discrimination laws can and will enter the picture.

Case in point: Back in the 1980s, when my parents moved back to the North Shore, my Mom found a listing for a home she thought would be very nice. The real estate agent said back to Mom, “oh, you don’t want to live there — that’s a Jewish neighborhood.”

Fortunately, those days are mostly behind us.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2022, 05:18:58 PM »
Rent free, aína?

Yes, you seem to have at least 6 scoopers living in your head rent free. That's a good summation.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2022, 05:20:56 PM »
When banned, which scoopers live rent free in Ziggy's head?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2022, 08:29:10 AM »
A big issue is the real estate agent’s behavior in the process. I theoretically could sell to anyone I want, no questions asked, and be as stupid as I want to be. Or as bigoted as Archie Bunker. It’s tough to prove an individual case, no matter how bad.

But if the real estate agent, for any personal reputational reasons, pushes a sale away from a protected class, then there is a problem. Especially if there is a pattern of behavior that can be traced. Then, anti-discrimination laws can and will enter the picture.

Case in point: Back in the 1980s, when my parents moved back to the North Shore, my Mom found a listing for a home she thought would be very nice. The real estate agent said back to Mom, “oh, you don’t want to live there — that’s a Jewish neighborhood.”

Fortunately, those days are mostly behind us.

This right here.   

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2022, 12:07:46 PM »
Yes, you seem to have at least 6 scoopers living in your head rent free. That's a good summation.

I think there’s a lot of room in there. Space has to be filled somehow.