collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 80711 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2022, 01:42:31 PM »
A&M fans may not want to go back but there’s a couple of things at play with that thought.  They thought they were leaving Texas behind and “sticking” it to them.  Also, the SEC establishment still looks at A&M as just another school and nothing other than that.  They don’t have rivalries.  They have 4+ hour games because commercials

No school is looking back because their pocketbooks are flush.  But let’s not kid ourselves, none of these schools have gotten better on the field or on the court because  of the moves.  I’d argue most have gotten worse and in most cases, lack an identity.  If A&M wasn’t paying Jimbo Fisher the GDP equivalent of a third world nation, they’d hardly register in the consciousness. 

I disagree with this.  As TAMU said, they are a school that traditionally has "little brother syndrome."  Going to the SEC allowed them to differentiate themselves from UT-Austin - which is what they wanted.  And which is why they weren't thrilled with the UT and OU expansion.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2022, 01:52:58 PM »

I disagree with this.  As TAMU said, they are a school that traditionally has "little brother syndrome."  Going to the SEC allowed them to differentiate themselves from UT-Austin - which is what they wanted.  And which is why they weren't thrilled with the UT and OU expansion.

Eh, I don’t buy that.  They thought they were one upping Texas, not differentiating themselves.  And they ended up with neither
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2022, 02:35:57 PM »
Eh, I don’t buy that.  They thought they were one upping Texas, not differentiating themselves.  And they ended up with neither

I wouldn't say that. TU was undeniably the superior football program for years and controlled in state recruiting. Since the move to the SEC, TAMU has one upped them and become the stronger football program (not that they have anything meaningful to show for it) and seized control of in state recruiting from the Longhorns. I don't know how much of that is directly attributable to the shift to the SEC but it absolutely benefitted the football program. Now that TU is on the way, I doubt that continues.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2022, 03:00:01 PM »
Nah.  He'll sit and take TV money unless a marquee job opens up, ASU co-ed jokes aside

While funny, I agree Urban to ASU doesn't seem likely to happen. But, if there was ever a guy made to live it up in Scottsdale, its Urban.

ASU should be better than they are. Way too many odd hires over the years.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2022, 03:23:58 PM »
While funny, I agree Urban to ASU doesn't seem likely to happen. But, if there was ever a guy made to live it up in Scottsdale, its Urban.

ASU should be better than they are. Way too many odd hires over the years.

So I have seen this stated a lot the last few days. Why should ASU be better than they are? They are hardly from a football hotbed and largely have to pull players from California or elsewhere to be successful.

They have largely been a just over .500 program with occasional bursts of something greater when it all falls together.  I kinda think that's just what they are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2022, 03:30:02 PM »

So I have seen this stated a lot the last few days. Why should ASU be better than they are? They are hardly from a football hotbed and largely have to pull players from California or elsewhere to be successful.

They have largely been a just over .500 program with occasional bursts of something greater when it all falls together.  I kinda think that's just what they are.

Any program being called a sleeping giant by the national media is almost certainly not that
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2022, 03:58:46 PM »

Agreed.  Theyve not had back to back top 15 seasons since they joined the Pac 12, and in the last 35 years since John Cooper left, they've only had 2 coaches finish better than .500 in the Pac-12 for their tenure.  And one was Todd Graham whose tenure imploded and finished very mediocre.

And Arizona is not a great HS football talent bed.  Looking at the last 5 years, with the exception of the 2020 class, Arizona usually has no more than 2-3 players in the top 200 recruits nationally.  And going back 7 years, ASU or Zona has kept 0 of those top 200 guys in state.  Look at the studs out of the state like Bijan Robinson or Spencer Rattler, staying in state was never a serious consideration.  Even a borderline guy like Chubba Purdy, who went to FSU, was considering ASU but didn't even make the final 3.

No rich football history, not in a great football recruiting state, and way down in the pecking order in your own conference.  Plus that conference routinely raids your state when you do have some good talent, like Oregon, USC, and UCLA have done.  I don't know why its a sleeping giant.  I think its, AT BEST, the 6th best job in the P12, and I could be persuaded to put it lower.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »
6th best is probably right - behind USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Stanford.  Probably ahead of Utah but clearly ahead of Arizona, Colorado, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2022, 04:36:43 PM »
Top candidate for Nebraska job

https://www.si.com/college/2022/09/20/nebraska-has-three-leading-candidates-for-next-coach-per-report

Surprised Urban is not on the list . He would do a great job for The Huskers .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2022, 04:40:14 PM »

https://www.si.com/college/2022/09/20/nebraska-has-three-leading-candidates-for-next-coach-per-report

It was reported a few days ago he wasn’t a candidate

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2022, 04:50:35 PM »
6th best is probably right - behind USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Stanford.  Probably ahead of Utah but clearly ahead of Arizona, Colorado, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State.

Yep thats what I was thinking.  Id probably give the edge to Utah cause its been a solid program for 30+ years now.  It wasn't as good as its been recently, but it was a pretty solid mid major in the WAC/MWC before Urban Meyer ever got there.  And now you have 20 years with only 2 seasons under .500 and a bunch of top 20 finishes.

I disagree.  Anyone who has had success at Nebraska had a connection to the school or the area/Plains states.  Urban doesn't make sense at all to me.  They should be going all in on Leipold.  Matt Campbell isn't a bad second choice either.

Urban sticks in the booth unless Freeman flames out at ND or maybe 2-3 other schools.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2022, 04:54:51 PM »
Press Conference from Nebraska interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/quick-hits-from-mickey-joseph-s-bye-week-press-conference-1
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2022, 05:12:46 PM »
Press Conference from Nebraska interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/quick-hits-from-mickey-joseph-s-bye-week-press-conference-1

Dead man walking.  He should probably be calling coaches looking for a job

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2022, 05:44:33 PM »
Dead man walking.  He should probably be calling coaches looking for a job

He was a really good WR coach at LSU.  Surely pursuing that would be better than assuming anything in Lincoln.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2022, 12:46:09 PM »

Personally, I'd rather coach at Colorado and Cal than ASU.

And now with USC and UCLA out, ASU is not even close to a sleeping giant.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2022, 05:22:46 PM »
This former UW Whitewater coach will be the Bama coach when Saban retires at this rate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2022, 05:27:29 PM »
Gophers blowing out The Spartans
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2022, 05:28:26 PM »
Gophers blowing out The Spartans

Spartans might regret overpaying a dude who has more double digit losses than wins and won four games last year despite being outgained in those games

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
Spartans might regret overpaying a dude who has more double digit losses than wins and won four games last year despite being outgained in those games
Tucker contract completely one side in his favor. MSU was desperate

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2021/11/mel-tuckers-massive-contract-extension-is-fully-guaranteed-with-buyout-unchanged.html
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2022, 06:00:41 PM »
Tucker contract completely one side in his favor. MSU was desperate

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2021/11/mel-tuckers-massive-contract-extension-is-fully-guaranteed-with-buyout-unchanged.html

I get it.  LSU rumors were hot.  His agent played it well.  In his defense, he got hired during covid year and his predecessor mailed it in the last few years.  Still, the Big Ten East is a meat grinder and you better get the coach right if you’re Sparty

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2022, 06:26:15 PM »
Ohio St. Is favored by 19?? 

I bet 10 bucks they'd cover but didn't realize the spread was so high. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2022, 06:28:11 PM »
Ohio St. Is favored by 19?? 

I bet 10 bucks they'd cover but didn't realize the spread was so high.

It was 17.5 when I got in.  Lot of money on OSU.  Good test for the Bucks who spent the off-season getting “tougher” after Michigan outmuscled them

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2022, 06:44:51 PM »
I see Washington State went from up 11 to down 10 in like 5 mins. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2022, 06:48:33 PM »
Ohio State's unis are seriously hideous. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2022, 06:57:19 PM »
I see Washington State went from up 11 to down 10 in like 5 mins.
Washington State can't hang with a good Big 10 team..... sorry Oregon not in the Big 10 yet.

(I guess, sorry to Wisconsin too)

feedback