[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cooking Thread  (Read 908 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Cooking Thread
« on: August 09, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
I've thought about starting this thread for a while since cooking has probably become my biggest hobby. The "bread" thread pushed me over the edge. I know that there is already a thread about smokers and some others where aspects of cooking are discussed but I thought it might be nice to have a more general thread to discuss recipes, ingredients, equipment, techniques, etc.

When my wife and I became empty nesters last fall I started cooking at least one really nice meal each weekend. I like to experiment and try new things. Then, once my son moved home from SLC and got an apartment (and then my oldest daughter moved home from NYC and my younger daughters came home for the summer) I decided to have a "Sunday Dinner" each week where I make a nice dinner -- again heavy on the experimentation.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Cooking Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 08:07:54 PM »
I've thought about starting this thread for a while since cooking has probably become my biggest hobby. The "bread" thread pushed me over the edge. I know that there is already a thread about smokers and some others where aspects of cooking are discussed but I thought it might be nice to have a more general thread to discuss recipes, ingredients, equipment, techniques, etc.

When my wife and I became empty nesters last fall I started cooking at least one really nice meal each weekend. I like to experiment and try new things. Then, once my son moved home from SLC and got an apartment (and then my oldest daughter moved home from NYC and my younger daughters came home for the summer) I decided to have a "Sunday Dinner" each week where I make a nice dinner -- again heavy on the experimentation.

Cooking and golf are the only two things that I find totally relaxing. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 09:02:21 PM »
careful, it gets expensive like any hobby.  I just built a custom kitchen in support of my own cooking hobby.  I must say, however, the whole process was fun, and using the kitchen now is a joy.  I have also extended my hobby outdoors by cooking unique stuff on the Weber - like seafood curry, baked pasta, bread, veggies, potatoes in various forms.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 08:29:50 AM »
careful, it gets expensive like any hobby. 

I think it's been convenient for my wife on gift-giving occasions since she knows there is always cooking things to give me. In the past couple years I've a variety of pots, pans, knives, and other tools (sous vide, mandoline, etc.).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 12:34:14 PM »
I think one of the trickiest things about cooking as a hobby is buying quality kitchen gear and staying away from the gadget stuff that takes up a ton of room in the cupboards that gets used once a year.

A few years ago my SIL bought us a panini press.  I stored it for three years an then gave it away.  Never used it once.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 07:59:05 PM »
Cutlery preferences.  Go high end, or cheap and replace?

Wüsthof (pretty fancy typing for me) for us. Got a set for a wedding present, and never looked back.

What's your brand recommendation and why?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 08:49:36 PM »

Wüsthof (pretty fancy typing for me) for us. Got a set for a wedding present, and never looked back.

Yes. Fairly high end German or Japanese is  the way to go.   I like my Henckels  set.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:53:03 PM by MuggsyB »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 05:31:27 AM »

Wusthof here, the key is to get them professionally sharpened yearly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 06:06:32 AM »

We have the same.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 07:05:51 AM »

Several years ago I got my first nice knife. I bought a Henckels 8' chef's knife. I only bought the one knife because my old chef's knife was badly damaged* and I only really "needed" one knife. I really like this knife, by the way, and would recommend it. It's fairly reasonably priced (remember it was my first foray into "nice" knives). Once I came to appreciate the difference a quality knife can make I started thinking about what to buy next. Ultimately I decided to not buy a set for two reasons: 1) I already had a chef's knife, and 2) in my experience most knives in the set go unused. So, I bought a 6' Zwilling utility knife and a MAC paring knife. Obviously, I'm not concerned about matching.

I still use the chef's knife more than the others combined. With those three knives, I feel like I'm fairly well set. I'd kind of like a cleaver and l will probably get one before too long, but I've got an old crappy one that gets the job done for the the time being.

I also bought a whetstone and have been sharpening my own knives. I still mostly practice on our old crappy knives, but have sharpened my good knives once. They turned out pretty well.

*Pro tip: don't use a chef's knife to lop off the bottom of a Christmas tree when you can't find your hatchet like 23-year-old me did. I used that badly damaged knife for a long, long time before finally replacing. Once I started getting more serious about cooking it had to go.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 05:32:02 PM »
Cutco.  The real deal, or overpriced scam?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 05:45:08 PM »

While it might get the job done, I wouldn't recommend hacking off the bottom of a Christmas tree with the chef's knife.

I sold them one summer when I was in college. I think they're pretty decent knives. I still have the very small set that I got when I sold them. But, when I was looking to buy, I obviously went a different way. Perhaps overpriced, but I wouldn't call them a scam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 05:46:40 PM »

I own an extremely sharp serrated Cutco knife that was gifted to us (grandparents).  Which I found out the hard way.

I wouldn't purchase one, but I bet this knife could tear through an Ethan Allen like butter.

feedback