[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Who do you watch MU basketball with? Who have you met at games?  (Read 1072 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
1) Whether you live in or near Milwaukee or far away (about 850 miles for me), who do you go to the games with or watch them on TV with?

2) Who have you met at games? This includes fans of opponents as well as MU alums.

For years, I mostly watched alone at home on TV, with my wife coming into the room for a while, especially at the end of games, to keep me company. Then, for some reason, she began taking a deeper interest about 5-6 years ago and watched entire games, getting into the excitement (and sometimes the disappointment) as the games progressed. Sam was her favorite player. Now, I'm pretty sure its Stevie. I answered lots of questions about the game, strategies, rules etc. (not that I am anywhere near an expert) and was happy that she developed an interest in MUBB. I have never believed in trying to push anyone-especially my wife-into becoming interested in basketball. I really think people have to make that move themselves. I knew she was a true fan when, contrary to her quiet, calm nature, she began to scream "Why did he DO that?" when a player chucked up a three-point attempt early in the possession with teammates wide open.

I noticed that she watched the ads promoting the BET with interest. She surprised me by suggesting that we go to NYC for the BET in 2019. We had a great time in NYC and at MSG and saw Marquette demolish St. Johns. We had been making an annual trip to DC for the Marquette-Georgetown game from our Virginia home but this was a huge move up. This past March she said she thought we should go again. This time we OD'd on the games, leaving little time for NYC touring.

At the 2020 MU/GT game we met a MU alum who was at the game with his family, including his 20- something GT alum daughters. When the assembled for a photo, I rushed in and offered him my MU scarf to wear for the picture. I asked his daughters if he was going to rub in MU's win and they replied "Ohhh yes!"  A MU sophomore watched the photo set up and seemed surprised that an alum fossil ('70) like me actually came to the game and wasn't even in a wheelchair. Then he asked me earnestly "So, are you going to come to any of the games in Milwaukee?"

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

tower912

• All American
Re: Who do you watch MU basketball with? Who have you met at games?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 05:04:55 PM »
The voices in my head
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 05:26:15 PM »
I gather a group of stuffed animals and assign them Scoop personas so I can debate them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 05:46:36 PM »
I gather a group of stuffed animals and assign them Scoop personas so I can debate them.

Do you have a stuffed zebra high on a shelf whom you protect from the riff raff?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 05:50:19 PM »
Do you have a stuffed zebra high on a shelf whom you protect from the riff raff?

There are no safe spaces in the stuffed animal circle.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »
Glow.

I met Jim McIlvaine at the game once. We got our picture taken together because we were wearing matching outfits.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 10:42:46 PM »

I met Jim McIlvaine at the game once. We got our picture taken together because we were wearing matching outfits.

Sure that wasn’t Brian Butch?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 11:22:46 PM »

Art imitates life.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 04:03:45 AM »

Just curious dude, what animal did you assign for me, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 04:47:54 AM »
Just curious dude, what animal did you assign for me, hey?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2022, 07:37:33 AM »
1) Whether you live in or near Milwaukee or far away (about 850 miles for me), who do you go to the games with or watch them on TV with?

2) Who have you met at games? This includes fans of opponents as well as MU alums.

For years, I mostly watched alone at home on TV, with my wife coming into the room for a while, especially at the end of games, to keep me company. Then, for some reason, she began taking a deeper interest about 5-6 years ago and watched entire games, getting into the excitement (and sometimes the disappointment) as the games progressed. Sam was her favorite player. Now, I'm pretty sure its Stevie. I answered lots of questions about the game, strategies, rules etc. (not that I am anywhere near an expert) and was happy that she developed an interest in MUBB. I have never believed in trying to push anyone-especially my wife-into becoming interested in basketball. I really think people have to make that move themselves. I knew she was a true fan when, contrary to her quiet, calm nature, she began to scream "Why did he DO that?" when a player chucked up a three-point attempt early in the possession with teammates wide open.

I noticed that she watched the ads promoting the BET with interest. She surprised me by suggesting that we go to NYC for the BET in 2019. We had a great time in NYC and at MSG and saw Marquette demolish St. Johns. We had been making an annual trip to DC for the Marquette-Georgetown game from our Virginia home but this was a huge move up. This past March she said she thought we should go again. This time we OD'd on the games, leaving little time for NYC touring.

At the 2020 MU/GT game we met a MU alum who was at the game with his family, including his 20- something GT alum daughters. When the assembled for a photo, I rushed in and offered him my MU scarf to wear for the picture. I asked his daughters if he was going to rub in MU's win and they replied "Ohhh yes!"  A MU sophomore watched the photo set up and seemed surprised that an alum fossil ('70) like me actually came to the game and wasn't even in a wheelchair. Then he asked me earnestly "So, are you going to come to any of the games in Milwaukee?"

I generally watch alone as well S-Snoop.  I admit to being pretty anxious and unpleasant around others during MU hoops games.  Most of the reason I frequently comment on Scoop in the game thread is that it helps me relax a bit. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2022, 08:10:07 AM »
my son and i had the pleasure of meeting goose and his lovely bride, mrs goose at a game-found out where he gets all his b-ball info from ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 08:58:04 AM »
my son and i had the pleasure of meeting goose and his lovely bride, mrs goose at a game-found out where he gets all his b-ball info from ;)

I remember Goose mentioning going to some games with his sons and maybe his dad as well (don't remember the details). I always like to hear about Scoopers like Brew going to games with his family. He got a lot of good-natured ribbing when his infant daughter was at her first game dressed in red. Maura Day's posting about going to the ill-fated Butler game in Indy with her dad created a father-daughter memory, despite the embarrassing outcome. Diener's little girl marching authoritatively to the board to post the TBT win was a great moment (even though it was not an MU game, I'm including it here).

In 2019 in NYC, we were asked by our waitress if we would be willing to share our booth with another couple as there was a long line of people for breakfast. Of course, we were happy to do so. We met a couple from Omaha who had a son at Creighton and a daughter at Marquette. They tried to split their fandom, but their daughter had no interest at all in basketball.

I carry my 1970 Media Guide with me when I go to games and at MSG in 2019 some MU students loved looking at it and took photos on their cell phones of many pages. The caricatures of some of the players from years ago are outstanding. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
Usually watch with my wife, a fellow alum and big hoops fan.

The Charlotte MU group was pretty active when we got here, as the team was doing well under Buzz. So we'd go to the game-watching gatherings and we met a lot of MU fans there. As the team's success waned, there have been fewer gatherings, and the crowds thinned at the ones we had. Then came Covid.

We do have a core group of 4-5 people here and we'll meet at a bar several times per season for games.

Was fun hanging out with several Scoopers at the Brooklyn event in 2015. Sat with Benny and his kids at the 2017 tourney loss to SC. Sat in front of Matt Heldt's aunt and a few other familiy members at the game in Athens, Ga., a few years back; they were really nice. Always enjoy meeting Scoopers. Even got together with keefe in Seattle one time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:16:14 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson