Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Who Will Score?  (Read 8255 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Who Will Score?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2022, 03:09:23 PM »
I am more worried about us on the defensive end than I am on the scoring end.
I expect improved scoring out of several returning players.
I think Kuath is a huge loss on the defensive end. Oso was a very good backup center. Oso will be a good starter, but I do not know how we will do if he does not have an effective backup. The big unknown is Iterje.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »
I am more worried about us on the defensive end than I am on the scoring end.
I expect improved scoring out of several returning players.
I think Kuath is a huge loss on the defensive end. Oso was a very good backup center. Oso will be a good starter, but I do not know how we will do if he does not have an effective backup. The big unknown is Iterje.

I’m more worried about every other position defensively (minus Omax.).

The bigger problem at the end of last year was the guard defense. Mitchell was the only Rapm  negative guard in the past few games of the season. Kolek defense took a major downturn late. Morsells defense was questionable all year for his pedigree. And kam was lost. Now Joplin or a freshman in gold will have to play more defense. Joplin was probably our worst defender last year.

Oso and Keeyan will be fine vs most bigs minus Kalkbrenner and Sanogo. But Kur struggled against them too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2022, 04:14:46 PM »
Looking at Smart's history, I'm less worried about his defense. Look at his first three years ranks at both VCU and Texas:

VCU: 98 / 78 / 23
Texas: 40 / 21 / 12

None of our guys had played in his system before. Clearly the defense took a downturn late, but I think another year in the system and more athleticism overall will help us on that end of the floor. Darryl was a great defensive quarterback, but his individual defense definitely came up short sometimes, and Justin's biggest weakness was on that end of the floor. There are obviously no guarantees, but guys like Kam and Tyler have the tools to be good defenders. We were so young last year, I can't help but think having our key players older and more experienced in the system will help significantly.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2022, 09:15:53 PM »
Looking at Smart's history, I'm less worried about his defense. Look at his first three years ranks at both VCU and Texas:

None of our guys had played in his system before. Clearly the defense took a downturn late, but I think another year in the system and more athleticism overall will help us on that end of the floor. Darryl was a great defensive quarterback, but his individual defense definitely came up short sometimes, and Justin's biggest weakness was on that end of the floor. There are obviously no guarantees, but guys like Kam and Tyler have the tools to be good defenders. We were so young last year, I can't help but think having our key players older and more experienced in the system will help significantly.
Dont know that Daryl’s individual defense came up shoort per se. A lot of that was a new system while trying to help all those new guys…?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2022, 10:04:58 PM »
Dont know that Daryl’s individual defense came up shoort per se. A lot of that was a new system while trying to help all those new guys…?

I do think that was part of it. And I think he was really good at getting everyone else into position, but it made his individual job harder. Overall he was good and we wouldn't have made the NCAAs without him, but I don't think he was able to lock in the way he did at Maryland or the way Justin Minaya was at Providence because his responsibilities were different here. As a team, I believe there's a good chance we'll be better for it in the long run.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2022, 09:05:16 AM »
I do think that was part of it. And I think he was really good at getting everyone else into position, but it made his individual job harder. Overall he was good and we wouldn't have made the NCAAs without him, but I don't think he was able to lock in the way he did at Maryland or the way Justin Minaya was at Providence because his responsibilities were different here. As a team, I believe there's a good chance we'll be better for it in the long run.
Doing more on offense also becomes part of the equation.
Goal is National Championship

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 11:34:11 AM »

I think the more athletes Shaka recruits, the better the defense will be as athletic players have the tools to be good defensively if they learn them.  So, I think we will be better and better. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »
I like the way Shaka has his teams play defense. However, I think as the season goes on teams become better prepared to play against pressure defenses. They panic less and know how to pass the ball down court to beat the press.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 01:35:08 PM »
Today we look at the top-3 most likely options to take the scoring leader mantle based on 2022-23 projected points. I'll admit, I wasn't overwhelmed by these projections.

That said, there's more than volume scoring to offensive quality & the subsequent pieces will provide more options and reasons for optimism.

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/06/who-will-score-part-iii-leading.html?m=1

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2022, 02:47:36 PM »
Mitchell is going to earn a lot of minutes with his defense. He started to find his offense at the end of the year too and it didn't look like a fluke. Seemed like the game started to slow down for him. He made better cuts, improved his finishing, and started developing confidence in the jump shot.

Lots of three or four guard lineups this year.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »
Mitchell is going to earn a lot of minutes with his defense. He started to find his offense at the end of the year too and it didn't look like a fluke. Seemed like the game started to slow down for him. He made better cuts, improved his finishing, and started developing confidence in the jump shot.

I root for all our guys, but I'd really love to see Stevie continue to grow offensively and become a mainstay. I love his energy. Seems like a great kid and teammate.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2022, 06:13:33 PM »

I agree with this analysis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2022, 07:52:59 PM »

I think our natural set will be three guards. Kolek and Kam, then Stevie and Sean Jones the other primary rotation pieces. I think we'll see lots of two PG lineups.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
I think our natural set will be three guards. Kolek and Kam, then Stevie and Sean Jones the other primary rotation pieces. I think we'll see lots of two PG lineups.

I'm hoping that both and BM1090 will explain in some detail why you expect to see the different guard lineups (specifically, 2 guard vs. 4 guard please). 

Edit: how does current talent and (or maybe vs.) Skaka's system(s) enter into your expectations?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:10:05 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2022, 07:11:48 PM »
It's largely personnel and history based. Last year we played 3-guard over 60% of the time and at Texas, Shaka routinely ran out Coleman, Ramey, and Jones with Jase Febres rounding out the 4 guards for 3 spots rotation.

I think Kolek and Kam are locked into 25-30 mpg roles with two other guards (Stevie and Sean, most likely) being 20 mpg guys.

I think 4-guard will be rare, but do see some need for small ball if Itejere can't play 10-15 mpg. Maybe then we see O-Max or Wrightsil playing some 5.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2022, 08:53:32 AM »
The series picks back up today with a focus on returning players that could break through into those top scoring ranks, including our highest "best case" scoring output. Are you ready to get all aboard the Jopwagon?

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/07/who-will-score-part-iv-dark-horses.html

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2022, 12:58:02 PM »
I think the small forward/ 3rd guard will be Wrightsil. The article about incoming transfers to the Big East listed Wrightsil as a guard, which surprised me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2022, 01:56:26 PM »
I think the small forward/ 3rd guard will be Wrightsil. The article about incoming transfers to the Big East listed Wrightsil as a guard, which surprised me.

His role will be interesting. I feel like I've heard anything from wing to PF to backup center. Because of his knee scope, he sat out most of the workouts so far so there really hasn't been much feedback on exactly how he will fit in.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2022, 04:21:46 PM »
His role will be interesting. I feel like I've heard anything from wing to PF to backup center. Because of his knee scope, he sat out most of the workouts so far so there really hasn't been much feedback on exactly how he will fit in.

I'm guessing small ball center will be his usual role. But he could be in one of those situations where he's a 5 on offense and a 4 on defense when paired with Ben Gold (who would be a 4 on offense and a 5 on defense)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2022, 04:23:34 PM »
I'm guessing small ball center will be his usual role. But he could be in one of those situations where he's a 5 on offense and a 4 on defense when paired with Ben Gold (who would be a 4 on offense and a 5 on defense)

Bingo. The "guard reference" talk reminded when Eddie Morrow transferred here so he could play guard. Yeah, no.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2022, 10:59:17 PM »
I’m all aboard the Sean Jones hype train and have been the conductor of it for months. I think if this team is going to be anything above a bubble team he will be our best player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2022, 12:39:06 AM »
I’m all aboard the Sean Jones hype train and have been the conductor of it for months. I think if this team is going to be anything above a bubble team he will be our best player.
I just find it interesting how posters think on this site. Jones has fallen to a 120 ranking and is going to play a lot. Chase Ross has risen to 121 and won't play. Our 2023 recruit is ranked 120 in his class and won't play.
I have no idea how much the newcomers will play, but it seems to me that players rising in rankings are the players who will keep on improving.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2022, 06:20:17 AM »
I just find it interesting how posters think on this site. Jones has fallen to a 120 ranking and is going to play a lot. Chase Ross has risen to 121 and won't play. Our 2023 recruit is ranked 120 in his class and won't play.
I have no idea how much the newcomers will play, but it seems to me that players rising in rankings are the players who will keep on improving.

So you think Jones is done improving?

I think much of it with position. Shaka has historically favored multiple ball handlers, which opens up more time for Jones than for someone like Ross that projects as more of a wing. It's not just watching them, but seeing who has the most clearly defined role in terms of team need.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2022, 08:44:05 AM »

I doubt he will be our best player. But I can see him in our top 5.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »
I’m on the Jones hype train as well.  Not sure why he fell in the rankings.  The only thing I can think of is his height. People also seem to be high on him at MU and you hear the same leaks you did for Kam Jones last year.  Also,  he should get playing time as Brew said based on position alone. 

I like ultra quick athletic point guards.  Hopefully the hype train is real.

feedback