[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Where does basketball stand amid the latest realignment?

Not to worry, nothing has changed
37 (34.6%)
It ain't football but even the NCAA can't screw it up
17 (15.9%)
Basketball doesn't matter except as entertainment between football and spring football
28 (26.2%)
Good God, are we screwed?
25 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Our future  (Read 11139 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Our future
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2022, 05:06:01 PM »
Many here have insisted that Gonzaga could never join the Big East because of geography. Tell that to USC and UCLA. Maybe our intelligentsia isn’t aware of advances in aviation.p

UCLA and USC will be raking in over $80 million a year from Big Ten TV rights fees. Gonzaga and the rest of the BE won’t be close to that.

Even with their basketball success GU doesn’t fully fund all of their sports.

I do know that Kansas is kicking the tires on pulling a UConn to join the BEast.

No, they aren’t.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2022, 05:13:50 PM »
Gonzaga will be in the Big East in a year or two
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2022, 05:56:13 PM »
Check out Green Mountain too. Mine has a rotisserie and can get to 550 degrees. Less expensive too…… by about $800. Probably not as durable as the Blaz’n Grill.  That looks very durable and well made.
I'm a big fan of Green Mountain too. Won 3 rib cookoffs with one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2022, 07:15:04 PM »

No, they aren’t.

Yes they are.  Doesn't mean it's anything close to actionable or that it will rver happen. UConn kicked the tires for years before pulling the trigger.  Gonzaga just as long and nothing has come of it so far
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2022, 01:06:52 PM »
Why?  Aviation predates modern basketball.

But aren't most of us surprised that jets became a thing? Who woulda thunk it?

I'm still surprised that man-built shelters became a thing. Caves were working really well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:08:38 PM by Jockey »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2022, 07:45:15 PM »
Yes they are.  Doesn't mean it's anything close to actionable or that it will rver happen. UConn kicked the tires for years before pulling the trigger.  Gonzaga just as long and nothing has come of it so far

Bull. Where is the evidence? U in the boardroom?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2022, 07:49:50 PM »

TAMU knows his stuff. You can believe him...or don't.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2022, 08:44:03 PM »
TCU has a shockingly large athletic budget for such a small private school. (or maybe not shocking given it's in Texas and has wealthy oil money). I think Jamie Dixon is top 20 paid coach and the football coach maybe in the top 10.

TCU is roughly the same size as Marquette in overall student FTE's and have comparable SAT and GPA ranges. Its enrollment is up 30% in the last 15 years following the success of football and they've built eight new dorms since 2010 to handle on-campus housing interest for what used to be a commuter school. Getting that check  from the Big 12 every season hasn't hurt, either.

Even with their basketball success GU doesn’t fully fund all of their sports.

Georgetown has 30 intercollegiate sports teams and just over 800 student athletes. Of these 30 teams, only eight are fully funded: M/W basketball, M/W soccer, M/W lacrosse, and M/W track. If you on the football, baseball, or crew teams at Georgetown, for example, you're fighting above your weight class when it comes to funding and competition, but it's part of the experience. (The three sports just mentioned have some of the highest alumni giving rates at the university.) There's no way the Big East revenue stream could fully fund that number of programs.

Basketball is overfunded at Georgetown, but that's a discussion for another message board.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:45:56 PM by DFW HOYA »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2022, 09:15:05 PM »

TAMU knows his stuff. You can believe him...or don't.
TAMU is very well connected, but he is is a humble person and won't flaunt .....
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2022, 11:24:02 PM »

Nope, I don't frequent boardrooms. I zoom into everything nowadays.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 12:51:10 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2022, 04:58:48 AM »
Yep. If it played out that way, I don't see the B12 breaking up. I do see the B12 as a football also ran that will be treated as a second class citizen. I also think that the B12 and BEast would be the second and third best basketball conferences, especially if they pick up the best of the leftovers of the ACC and P12. I don't see either the B12 or BEast getting left out of a basketball tournament in that scenario.

I don't know how this will all play out (no one has predicted every step of realignment correctly). I do know that Kansas is kicking the tires on pulling a UConn to join the BEast. I don't think it happens anytime soon but it sounds like they are doing their due diligence. But the Big East should be doing everything it can to add top basketball properties over the next few years.

You really think the SEC/B1G would want to kill March madness? What conferences do you believe would get left out? That St. Peters run last year was really fun to watch. Killing the greatest National Tournament doesn't make sense to me, but realistically it is cents that drives all this.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2022, 06:33:31 AM »
You really think the SEC/B1G would want to kill March madness? What conferences do you believe would get left out? That St. Peters run last year was really fun to watch. Killing the greatest National Tournament doesn't make sense to me, but realistically it is cents that drives all this.
I bet Kentucky would vote to keep St. Peter's out.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2022, 07:43:35 AM »
Teal?

feedback