[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka Pulling a TC Move...  (Read 5631 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Shaka Pulling a TC Move...
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 07:14:25 AM »
Pulling Apollo 11’s number was easy, probably the easiest move the team could have made.

The real question they have to ask is what they will do with #0. Markus was the #1 scorer in the schools history, but had limited team success. Plus looking back it is still ridiculous that #22 wasn’t really close to be retired for jerel.

My guess is the school might genuinely be biding itself time to see if markus has nba success going forward. If not I’m interested to see when #0 goes back into circulation. And when.
How much team success did Jerel have?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 07:35:20 AM »
Zero will get retired and deservedly so.  If 22 was ever gonna be retired, it would have been years before Jerel even got on campus.

This is true Chones was probably the best 22. I was just using Rel as an example, because he had the most similar resume to markus.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 07:55:09 AM »
How much team success did Jerel have?

Relative to Markus, Jerel clearly had team success.

He never missed the tourney. Won 2 games tourney games to zero. Finished top 25 all but his freshman season. Lost to top 10 teams in jr and sr year. All well playing in an undoubtedly better conference.

Meanwhile markus made the tourney 2 times, got blown out in both. He might of made it a third time, but that years team finished 1-6 in its last 7. Zero top 25 finishes.

One player clearly played on better marquette teams than the other. They both finished 1st as all time leading scorers, while Jerel's total was well lower, but Jerel also leads the program in steals.

My point was more that the admins have a tough decision to make.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 07:59:04 AM by jfp61 »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 07:58:07 AM »

He never missed the tourney. Won 2 games tourney games to zero. Finished top 25 all but his freshman season. Lost to top 10 teams in jr and sr year. All well playing in an undoubtedly better conference.

Meanwhile markus made the tourney 2 times, got blown out in both. He might of made it a third time, but that years team finished 1-6 in its last 7. Zero top 25 finishes.

One player clearly played on better marquette teams than the other. They both finished 1st as all time leading scorers, while Jerel's total was well lower, Jerel also leads the program in steals.

On the list of decisions that admins have to make, deciding what number to retire ranks about 857th most difficult.

And Markus would have definitely made it in 2020.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 08:19:49 AM »

One player clearly played on better marquette teams than the other. They both finished 1st as all time leading scorers, while Jerel's total was well lower, but Jerel also leads the program in steals.

Markus isn't just the programs all time leading scorer. He's the conference's all time leading scorer and top 25 in NCAA basketball history.  He's also a 2 time all American. No disrespect to Jerel, he's one of my all time favorites, but Markus' resume beats his comfortably
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »
You calling Al dumb?

Brother Newsie:

Not since he took two technical fouls in the 1974 National Championship game against NC State.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2022, 08:35:18 AM »

Retiring numbers is silly, but deciding which players' numbers to retire based on team success is sillier.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2022, 09:05:57 AM »
Brother Newsie:

Not since he took two technical fouls in the 1974 National Championship game against NC State.
LOL brother digies
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2022, 09:07:54 AM »
Retiring numbers is silly, but deciding which players' numbers to retire based on team success is sillier.
Yes mainly about the players accomplishments, else you would have to retire most of 1977's numbers
Goal is National Championship

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2022, 09:12:22 AM »
Markus isn't just the programs all time leading scorer. He's the conference's all time leading scorer and top 25 in NCAA basketball history.  He's also a 2 time all American. No disrespect to Jerel, he's one of my all time favorites, but Markus' resume beats his comfortably

And for goodness sakes, the team success wasn't THAT bad.  Multiple ranked teams, three NCAA births, etc. Yeah it would have been nice to end the seasons better, but Jerel's team success wasn't THAT much better. 

People need to stop acting like the Markus years were some sub-.500 second coming of Bob Dukiet.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2022, 09:28:48 AM »
People show up for awards, but I doubt it made a real difference in their life.

The Discovery Award isn't about making differences in the recipients' lives, it is about making differences in humanity and other people's lives. It might be pretty telling that it's been well over a decade since they last awarded this honor.

As to this or other "retirements", I am all for retiring the jersey but not the numbers. However, to say "it doesn't matter" is just beyond stupid.

https://www.marquette.edu/university-honors/pere-marquette.php

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2022, 10:04:18 AM »
People need to stop acting like the Markus years were some sub-.500 second coming of Bob Dukiet.

Ridiculous take. Everybody knows Markus' teams went 0-131 and never made the NCAA tournament. Plus he drove away the two greatest players in the history of Marquette basketball.

He maybe ranks ahead of Harry Froling. Maybe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2022, 11:37:48 AM »
Just please don't do the asine exercise of untretiring George Thompson's # for the 3rd time.  More embarassing than Golden Eagles, Maine, Murray State, Western Michigan, Niv and So Miss in GB combined.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2022, 04:16:59 PM »
Pulling Apollo 11’s number was easy, probably the easiest move the team could have made.

The real question they have to ask is what they will do with #0. Markus was the #1 scorer in the schools history, but had limited team success. Plus looking back it is still ridiculous that #22 wasn’t really close to be retired for jerel.

My guess is the school might genuinely be biding itself time to see if markus has nba success going forward. If not I’m interested to see when #0 goes back into circulation. And when.

Wen Oliver Lee graduates, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2022, 07:09:36 PM »
Honestly, if the NCAA begins to follow the NBA and allows 6-9 numbers for jerseys, so much is easily solved as more and more programs will begin to face the same problem MU has (running out of available numbers due to retirement status).

Or MU can simply follow the Kentucky model and retire jerseys but not numbers.  They have 44 acknowledged retired players, coaches, administrators.  Something will have to give eventually.  A good problem to have.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2022, 07:13:24 PM »

He also had three 50+ point games that I remember.  Sometimes I watch his USC performance to cheer me up.  When he had it going he was a lot of fun to watch as was Rowsey.  Unfortunately we had very poor coaching and roster construction during his four year period.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2022, 08:02:00 PM »
I hope Kolek is killing it in practice…

But, Mike Deane once said ( or was it Allen Iverson ?) … no one ever scored a point in practice!?

I remember stories about Polo lighting it up in practice too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
Honestly, if the NCAA begins to follow the NBA and allows 6-9 numbers for jerseys, so much is easily solved as more and more programs will begin to face the same problem MU has (running out of available numbers due to retirement status).

There are 36 available numbers and so far they have retired 8 of those so 28 numbers remain. So they aren’t going to run out even with a couple more retirements.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 11:00:43 AM by User Name #251 »

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2022, 02:59:41 AM »
He also had three 50+ point games that I remember.  Sometimes I watch his USC performance to cheer me up.  When he had it going he was a lot of fun to watch as was Rowsey.  Unfortunately we had very poor coaching and roster construction during his four year period.

I think honoring players, not numbers, is the way to go unless that player has done something super extraordinary for the university. I think 3, 24, and maybe 15 and 31 should be the only retired numbers, everyone else should be honored.

I believe its UNC only retires player of the year winners, everyone else is honored, hence why a blue or a white jersey goes up.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2022, 10:52:08 AM »

Wen Oliver Lee graduates, hey?

minor detail-i think you have to attend class to graduate
don't...don't don't don't don't