[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Athletic and Human Performance Research Center Phase II  (Read 8344 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Athletic and Human Performance Research Center Phase II
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »
Are you telling me it is against the rules to throw in a few butlers instead of cash in their NIL?

I'm telling you that you are either being deliberately obtuse or choosing to be ignorantly obtuse.

And pay for play has been here since at least the 1970s. Welcome to the 20th century.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 04:55:51 AM »
Does anyone have info on the new facility?  Are plans drafted and to be announced within a year, or is this more preliminary? How’s fund raising going?   Courts, locker rooms, video room, study center, offices?  Dorms?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 12:35:09 PM »
Does anyone have info on the new facility?  Are plans drafted and to be announced within a year, or is this more preliminary? How’s fund raising going?   Courts, locker rooms, video room, study center, offices?  Dorms?

All good questions.  I’m curious as well.  I thought the AL was one of our prized recruiting tools that has been updated regularly to keep it a state of the art practice facility.   Now it’s going to be primarily womens basketball and volleyball only?  No practice or offices for the mens bball team?  Will they move the AL statue and name the current AL something else? 

Is this truly needed?  I’m all for spending money if we have it but would rather have that Rec Center upgrade first.  Future students and students who pay tuition already really care about that stuff. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 12:39:01 PM »
All good questions.  I’m curious as well.  I thought the AL was one of our prized recruiting tools that has been updated regularly to keep it a state of the art practice facility.   Now it’s going to be primarily womens basketball and volleyball only?  No practice or offices for the mens bball team?  Will they move the AL statue and name the current AL something else? 

Is this truly needed?  I’m all for spending money if we have it but would rather have that Rec Center upgrade first.  Future students and students who pay tuition already really care about that stuff.

As others have stated, the two full courts side by side is a big thing for the program. Not having that at the Al is a negative in recruiting. I believe at least 6 other Big East programs have that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 12:57:46 PM »
As others have stated, the two full courts side by side is a big thing for the program. Not having that at the Al is a negative in recruiting. I believe at least 6 other Big East programs have that.

Thanks Wades.  Hopefully they do it right and it is the crown jewel of the Big East. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2022, 01:01:00 PM »

the Rec Center is being upgraded beginning in the fall semester.  Sadly it's staying in the same point bc some anonymous Bus Ad donor held MU over a barrel and insisted they tear up their master campus plan and put the Bus Ad building on the McCormick site.  Having a new rec center there instead and adjacent to the AMU (as planned) would have served students so much better.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2022, 01:25:22 PM »
the Rec Center is being upgraded beginning in the fall semester.  Sadly it's staying in the same point bc some anonymous Bus Ad donor held MU over a barrel and insisted they tear up their master campus plan and put the Bus Ad building on the McCormick site.  Having a new rec center there instead and adjacent to the AMU (as planned) would have served students so much better.

Kind of a strange thing for a donor to be concerned about.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2022, 09:08:47 AM »
Kind of a strange thing for a donor to be concerned about.

If you are going to pony up millions of $ wouldn't you want the building on 16th and Wisconsin versus 16th and Clybourn?  As for the rec center, I don't see a big deal of moving the entrance to the facility a half-a-block.  The biggest issue was they needed an updated facility to compete for students.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2022, 09:16:48 AM »
If you are going to pony up millions of $ wouldn't you want the building on 16th and Wisconsin versus 16th and Clybourn?  As for the rec center, I don't see a big deal of moving the entrance to the facility a half-a-block.  The biggest issue was they needed an updated facility to compete for students.

No, I would not expect the University to alter its campus master plan for my sake.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2022, 09:22:24 AM »
No, I would not expect the University to alter its campus master plan for my sake.

Interesting

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »

I'm with Sultan on this one. I personally wouldn't care where the building was (within reason) because my gift would be about what was best for the students. I think placing the rec center in the more central location is better for the students because it benefits all students whereas the Business school will only benefit some.

That being said, you write that big of a check, you are allowed to make stipulations. Not one I would personally insist on but if its important to this donor, than that's that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DrJay24

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2022, 09:55:35 AM »
MU made its choice - take the money and run.  Hence, a new mast plan is born.  Beggars can't be choosers all the time.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2022, 10:14:26 AM »
Still waitin' on da Tommy and Joannie Crean Memorial Soccer Megaplex, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2022, 10:23:39 AM »
MU made its choice - take the money and run.  Hence, a new mast plan is born.  Beggars can't be choosers all the time.

My understanding is things fell through with that donor, but the plan was then updated to go with the location on 16th and Wisconsin.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2022, 10:26:57 AM »

I was on UK's campus in Lexington last year and their rec facility is attached to the Union and has huge windows facing the street.  Drivers passing by seeing a state of the art work out facility with activity 18 hours / day vs the drab brown brick we've ended up with at the new Bus Ad building.  Also, the plan was Bus Ad would be attached to engineering for an innovation alley.  That's now gone too.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2022, 10:28:07 AM »
My understanding is things fell through with that donor, but the plan was then updated to go with the location on 16th and Wisconsin.

Ironic that things feel through on the site of Victor McCormick's twin towers.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2022, 10:35:28 AM »
I was on UK's campus in Lexington last year and their rec facility is attached to the Union and has huge windows facing the street.  Drivers passing by seeing a state of the art work out facility with activity 18 hours / day vs the drab brown brick we've ended up with at the new Bus Ad building.  Also, the plan was Bus Ad would be attached to engineering for an innovation alley.  That's now gone too.

Don't get me wrong. Campus master plans are changed all of the time due to changes in funding needs, building sizes, etc. Maybe Marquette didn't really care all that much because a renovated rec complex was easier and cheaper than building from new.

I just personally wouldn't really care.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »

The innovation alley was a great idea. It is a shame it won’t be going through and a new master plan had to be developed for the pride of a donor.

I realize it is a lot of money, but it highlights this as a pride donation, not a giving back to the University donation.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
I saw that Rec facility at UK recently as well. It was pretty impressive.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2022, 12:18:51 PM »
Yep.  Rec center facilities are a huge deal in attracting tuition paying students.  I hope they do the renovation well.  This would not be a time to skimp.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:56:12 PM by Shooter McGavin »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »
Yep.  Rec center facilities are a huge deal in attracting tuition paying students.  I hope that do the renovation well.  This would not be a time to skimp.

one of the main attractions rec centers need to have based on student input is a rock climbing wall. I was part of a planning committee for a university's new rec center and there was significantly more student support for a climbing wall than there was for a pool...so we scrapped the pool.

Is MU going to do a teardown and rebuild or a gut renovation of the Rec Center?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2022, 12:56:24 PM »
one of the main attractions rec centers need to have based on student input is a rock climbing wall. I was part of a planning committee for a university's new rec center and there was significantly more student support for a climbing wall than there was for a pool...so we scrapped the pool.

Is MU going to do a teardown and rebuild or a gut renovation of the Rec Center?

They are "reimaging" the facility.  (IOW a big renovation)

https://www.marquette.edu/wellness-and-recreation/index.html

They will still have a pool.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2022, 02:56:15 PM »

Looks fantastic
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2022, 03:35:07 PM »

Is that Anthony Candelino running on the track in the one drawing?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2022, 03:39:45 PM »
It's a Scoop hallmark of a few members that they keep misunderstanding the same stuff no matter how often it's explained.
what? I’m confused
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.