'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka's team  (Read 19281 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Shaka's team
« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2022, 09:02:47 AM »
Hard disagree there. Personally, I had UNC an 8 and Marquette a 9. The Bracket Matrix consensus agreed on both point. In 2019 I had Marquette a 5 and Murray State a 12, as did Bracket Matrix. Bracket Matrix in 2017 had South Carolina a 7 and Marquette a 10. The only issue there was location. None of those matchups were mis-seeded. They were all spot on, but proved to be bad matchups for us.

Yup.

I think a better way to say it would be weve played teams better than their seed would indicate(SC more so for the location) and also bad match ups.

UNC and Murray State based off their resumes were definitely seeded fairly. It just sucks because UNC talent wise and how they were playing for a month going into the tournament were not a 8 seed. But that isnt how seeding and the tournament works.

Weve been a unfortunate but not screwed over.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2022, 09:03:13 AM »
What I get out of this thread is that since some posters claim Texas a&M shouldn't complain because they should have won more games= one should never ever complain about the refs, since you should make more plays during the other parts of the game.

I had the same thought when reading this thread. The one nit I would pick is that I think it is fine to complain about the refs and the selection committee. Refs make bad calls. The selection committee makes bad selections. But I don't think it is right to blame either. Your team should never put themselves in a position where a bad call loses them the game or a bad selection sends them to the NIT instead of the NCAAT.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2022, 09:14:16 AM »
The idea that refs never cost a team a game is absurd.  It absolutely happens.  "Well make more shots."  Sure.  But you're going to be in tight games when you're evenly matched.  Your opponent is going to make shots.  Your opponent is going to prevent you from making shots.  You can't shoot 100% from the field with 0 turnovers.  When two evenly matched teams play each other, a single missed call (or multiple missed calls) can absolutely change the outcome of the game.

You can outplay your opponent all game and if the game is reffed one way or another, you can lose that game.

You can't be good enough to deserve to be in the Tournament and miss the Tournament.  That's the difference.  You aren't a very good team if you are on the bubble enough that you get "snubbed."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 09:16:39 AM by WithoutBias »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2022, 09:23:38 AM »
Hard disagree there. Personally, I had UNC an 8 and Marquette a 9. The Bracket Matrix consensus agreed on both point. In 2019 I had Marquette a 5 and Murray State a 12, as did Bracket Matrix. Bracket Matrix in 2017 had South Carolina a 7 and Marquette a 10. The only issue there was location. None of those matchups were mis-seeded. They were all spot on, but proved to be bad matchups for us.

Yep, losing those games by a margin ranging from 19 to 32 points were not mis-seeds, but rather embarrassments in game prep.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
The idea that refs never cost a team a game is absurd.  It absolutely happens. 

You're the only one to use the word "never" in this topic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2022, 09:37:29 AM »
You're the only one to use the word "never" in this topic.

No I did. Unless the ref is paid off I don't think the refs should ever be considered THE reason a team lost a game. They are certainly often one of the many reasons why a team loses a game.
TAMU

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2022, 09:40:37 AM »
No I did. Unless the ref is paid off I don't think the refs should ever be considered THE reason a team lost a game. They are certainly often one of the many reasons why a team loses a game.

OK.  I think there are times when they *can* lose a team a game, but they are extremely limited, end of game situations.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2022, 09:41:00 AM »
Yup.

I think a better way to say it would be weve played teams better than their seed would indicate(SC more so for the location) and also bad match ups.

UNC and Murray State based off their resumes were definitely seeded fairly. It just sucks because UNC talent wise and how they were playing for a month going into the tournament were not a 8 seed. But that isnt how seeding and the tournament works.

Weve been a unfortunate but not screwed over.
I get that tournament bids are awarded on the whole season. I think seeding should be based on more recent play. MU was not playing well. UNC was playing very well and therefore under seeded. Maybe MU was deserving of a 9. No way based on recent play UNC should of been an 8th seed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2022, 09:43:18 AM »
I get that tournament bids are awarded on the whole season. I think seeding should be based on more recent play. MU was not playing well. UNC was playing very well and therefore under seeded. Maybe MU was deserving of a 9. No way based on recent play UNC should of been an 8th seed.

So most of the regular season doesn't count? You want the selection committee arbitrarily deciding "I think this team is playing better right now so they deserve an easier path to the Final Four even though their resume is worse than these other teams"? Sounds like a terrible idea to me
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »

OK.  I think there are times when they *can* lose a team a game, but they are extremely limited, end of game situations.
I think what bothers me the most is a bad call occurring just before the two minute mark. A few seconds later the call can be reviewed and reversed. Maybe coaches, like in the NBA, should be given a challenge.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2022, 09:59:56 AM »
Yup.

I do not think it would of matter where we played SC. They were more athletic than us and I believe they made the final four.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2022, 10:17:17 AM »
I do not think it would of matter where we played SC. They were more athletic than us and I believe they made the final four.

They did. Two of our last three opponents made the Final Four (USC & UNC). But seeding is based on regular season performance, not what you do after you get the seed. Which is why those teams were appropriately seeded.

But tell me...why was North Carolina mis-seeded? Even on recent play, their win over Duke was only their second win over an at-large caliber team the entire season and first since beating Michigan on December 1st. Their "recent play" if you look at the last 10 games included a loss to an abysmal Pitt team and after Duke, their best wins were over a Va Tech team that only got in because they won the auto-bid and Virginia was the only NIT team they beat. The rest of their wins were mostly sub-100 teams that weren't even in the "Next 32 out" based on the NIT field.

They got in because they had great predictive metrics, but on the season they were just 2-6 against at-large worthy teams. What you do once you get in has nothing to do with the seed you were given. There's no world in which North Carolina was under-seeded, and if anything, they were more likely over-seeded than under-seeded.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »
Refs are bad across the board.  Sport is populated by bigger, faster and stronger players at the upper levels and the refs have all stayed the same.  Game is too fast for them and with basketball being an inherently physical game, no way they can be very good on a regular basis.

Does a decision by a ref cost teams a game or two a year?  I’d say yes, but it works both ways.

Yessir.

I had the same thought when reading this thread. The one nit I would pick is that I think it is fine to complain about the refs and the selection committee. Refs make bad calls. The selection committee makes bad selections. But I don't think it is right to blame either. Your team should never put themselves in a position where a bad call loses them the game or a bad selection sends them to the NIT instead of the NCAAT.

And another yessir.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2022, 02:19:05 PM »
Got to love Scoop, from Shaka's team, to NCAAT selection committee, to refereeing
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2022, 02:45:33 PM »
Yeah ... but it's still Shaka's team. And I still expect us to be at least as good in 2022-23 as we were in 2021-22!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2022, 03:12:01 PM »
Got to love Scoop, from Shaka's team, to NCAAT selection committee, to refereeing

Kudos to the passionate Scoopers who can resurrect issues I forgot about five mins after they happened.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2022, 04:01:08 PM »
Pick and Roll with Shaka Smart.

45 minute dive into more of Shaka Smart's story, how and why he ended up at Marquette, etc.

Pretty good stuff here. Most of the Marquette talk starts around the 29 minute mark, but it's all really good.

https://youtu.be/PcsPzHZkASM
VIOLENCE!