[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka's team  (Read 19277 times)

MU82

• All American
Shaka's team
« on: June 07, 2022, 01:33:39 PM »
Now that Lewis is staying in the NBA Draft and Marquette's supposed top transfer targets have opted to go elsewhere, Shaka has his team for the 2022-23 season.

And it is HIS team. Even though Oso, Stevie and Kam were Wojo recruits, they were re-recruited by Shaka and stayed because they wanted to play for him. Combined, they played 38 minutes for Wojo. They are Shaka's guys, as are all the others on our roster.

The system has been in place for a full season plus what will be a full offseason. And most of the players have been in the system for that entire time. "We're young" or "It's a new system" cannot be excuses if Marquette doesn't do at least as well as last season's team did. By October, Shaka will have had a year and a half to "build culture."

The roster not being talented enough obviously can't be an excuse, either. It's the head coach's job to bring in talent. Either Shaka decided not to pursue better recruits and transfers or he was unable to land better players (or maybe some of both).

I am expecting us to do at least as well as we did last season, and I'll be disappointed if we make the NCAAs but have another first-round flame-out. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that level of success, and I don't know why any Marquette fan would be happy with anything less.

I sure as heck don't want to hear about 2023-24 or 2024-25 or some other future season being the one that Shaka's really shooting for.

I'm a Marquetter for life, so I'm not threatening to stop being a fan or anything like that if the team fails to meet my expectations. But I will be disappointed, and I'll begin to question if Shaka's the right man for the job.

Hopefully, any such concerns will be moot because Shaka's team will kick butt in 2022-23 and the program will just keep getting better in the years that follow.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Shaka's team
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 01:38:50 PM »
I expect Marquette to be a bubble team this year, middle of the pack in the Big East, and that's where I think Marquette will be for the foreseeable future.  NIL is going to be a problem for Marquette to compete with the big boys, and the combination of that and immediate eligibility when transferring makes it really tough.

Shaka's been able to keep his roster together, so he'll need to be able to find underrated talent and develop it.  That's what it looks like he's trying to do.  We'll see if it works out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 01:43:27 PM »
Why does everybody on this board think that MU can not compete at some level for NIL money?  There’s a great deal of rich people who went to MU!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 01:51:25 PM »
Why does everybody on this board think that MU can not compete at some level for NIL money?  There’s a great deal of rich people who went to MU!

The proof is in the pudding.  Where is all this NIL money that is available to MU basketball?  I've seen/heard more of Johnny Davis and Brad Davison, two guys who will never again put on a UW uniform, than I have Marquette basketball players, most of whom have 3 years of eligibility left.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 02:07:25 PM »
The proof is in the pudding.  Where is all this NIL money that is available to MU basketball?  I've seen/heard more of Johnny Davis and Brad Davison, two guys who will never again put on a UW uniform, than I have Marquette basketball players, most of whom have 3 years of eligibility left.

I think its a little too early to make broad projections on NIL and how it will impact #mubb.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 02:18:25 PM by User Name #251 »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 02:14:12 PM »

I don't think it's everyone on this board. I think it's a vocal minority that keep saying the same thing without recognizing that there is a ton of money dedicated to this program and those people have a vested interest not just in building the Al or firing Wojo or hiring Shaka but in making sure our players are fairly compensated.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 02:28:28 PM »

If you hear about MU players, it will be from deals they work out on their own. Those will be few and far between. That does not mean that the players aren't making a ton of NIL dollars.

MU is very well positioned with NIL. Sure we're not at blue blood levels of money (but we never were) but we can spend as much or more than the rest of the high majors minus a few outliers (hello Miami)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 02:52:32 PM »

I hope this is a reference to the ridiculous taco bell ad. I hope Davis stays in the lottery and has an okay career because otherwise that commercial is going to be objectively hilarious.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 03:57:09 PM »
As far as NIL goes MU's biggest advantage is we are ALL IN on hoops.  I live in Columbus and with Ryan Day claiming he needs between 13-14 million to keep the football team together, I don't see as much money going to hoops.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 04:02:53 PM »
82 …
I agree with your post. This is 100%
Shaka’s team.  Two recruiting classes,
a year and 1/2 to build “ culture.” His
guys.

However, I don’t think there’s much of
a chance - if any - that MU is better this coming season, than last.

They’ve lost their two best players and 3 starters.  The replacements are 3 frosh and an NAIA transfer.  That’s not enough.  It’s just not.   They will have trouble scoring and I presume that the rebounding will be terrible again.

I hope I’m wrong, but they seem like an NIT team.  If they somehow squeeze into the Dance, they will be one / done.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 04:04:33 PM »
I hope this is a reference to the ridiculous taco bell ad. I hope Davis stays in the lottery and has an okay career because otherwise that commercial is going to be objectively hilarious.

the taco bell commercial is kinda weird, but i haven't seen a witty commercial in years.  unless johnny got that commercial via a bucky booster, it really has nothing to do with NIL/bucky but regional name recognition as opposed to national?  taco bell must have figured he would click with the taco bell crowd so i don't know how that figures with the school itself as many here question MU and NIL monies.  in other words,  the NIL money would be coming directly from a company believing our player would give their product a boost, no? would MU have a deep pocketed booster with a company product they wanted a player to vouch for, wink wink...that would be different
don't...don't don't don't don't

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 04:12:43 PM »
Now that Lewis is staying in the NBA Draft and Marquette's supposed top transfer targets have opted to go elsewhere, Shaka has his team for the 2022-23 season.

And it is HIS team. Even though Oso, Stevie and Kam were Wojo recruits, they were re-recruited by Shaka and stayed because they wanted to play for him. Combined, they played 38 minutes for Wojo. They are Shaka's guys, as are all the others on our roster.

The system has been in place for a full season plus what will be a full offseason. And most of the players have been in the system for that entire time. "We're young" or "It's a new system" cannot be excuses if Marquette doesn't do at least as well as last season's team did. By October, Shaka will have had a year and a half to "build culture."

The roster not being talented enough obviously can't be an excuse, either. It's the head coach's job to bring in talent. Either Shaka decided not to pursue better recruits and transfers or he was unable to land better players (or maybe some of both).

I am expecting us to do at least as well as we did last season, and I'll be disappointed if we make the NCAAs but have another first-round flame-out. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect that level of success, and I don't know why any Marquette fan would be happy with anything less.

I sure as heck don't want to hear about 2023-24 or 2024-25 or some other future season being the one that Shaka's really shooting for.

I'm a Marquetter for life, so I'm not threatening to stop being a fan or anything like that if the team fails to meet my expectations. But I will be disappointed, and I'll begin to question if Shaka's the right man for the job.

Hopefully, any such concerns will be moot because Shaka's team will kick butt in 2022-23 and the program will just keep getting better in the years that follow.

We Are Marquette!

Shaka took a team that had no business winning 14 games let alone 19, and made the NCAA Tournament in year 1.

You're already ready to question his job after year 2 solely on what you expect to happen? My goodness.
VIOLENCE!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 07:07:38 PM »
If you hear about MU players, it will be from deals they work out on their own. Those will be few and far between. That does not mean that the players aren't making a ton of NIL dollars.

MU is very well positioned with NIL. Sure we're not at blue blood levels of money (but we never were) but we can spend as much or more than the rest of the high majors minus a few outliers (hello Miami)

I think this is now 3 separate threads where TAMU has told Wades he’s wrong about Marquette and NIL. Should we go for 4?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 07:08:32 PM »
82 …
guys.

They’ve lost their two best players and 3 starters.  The replacements are 3 frosh and an NAIA transfer.  That’s not enough.  It’s just not.   They will have trouble scoring and I presume that the rebounding will be terrible again.

I hope I’m wrong, but they seem like an NIT team.  If they somehow squeeze into the Dance, they will be one / done.

That would be disappointing, especially the NIT part.

Shaka took a team that had no business winning 14 games let alone 19, and made the NCAA Tournament in year 1.

You're already ready to question his job after year 2 solely on what you expect to happen? My goodness.

He isn't being paid handsomely to coach, he's being paid handsomely to win. Just because you think last year's team should have had a losing record it doesn't mean that's a fact.

I didn't say "Sweet 16 or bust," or "Big East title or bust." I simply expect Shaka's program to continue to make progress.

Now, unless he goes something like 11-22, as he did in his second year at Texas, I won't be screaming for his job. But if there's a step backward, yes, he will be, as they say, "on the clock" as far as I'm concerned.

Goose hasn't weighed in here yet (and maybe he won't), but he's the biggest Shaka fan on this entire board ... and I bet he'll agree with most or all of what I'm saying.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 07:11:30 PM »
82 …
guys.

Yet you didn’t mention development from all the returnees.

The truth is no one has any idea what to expect this season. An NIT berth or a sweet 16 run wouldn’t surprise me at this point. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 07:27:41 PM »
I expect significant improvement within our roster.  The Lewis loss is a problem though.  My hope is that it's not too late to get an impact transfer big.  My gut feeling though is that ZW will be better than people think.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 07:29:03 PM »
I think this is now 3 separate threads where TAMU has told Wades he’s wrong about Marquette and NIL. Should we go for 4?

Sure! If we want to compete in the way we expected when Wojo wasn’t working, we need better talent. And to get better talent we need to be MUCH more competitive on the NIL front than we have seen so far, unless the NCAA comes up with some guidelines. I’m not holding my breath for either of these things happening.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 08:25:06 PM »
I expect significant improvement within our roster.  The Lewis loss is a problem though.  My hope is that it's not too late to get an impact transfer big.  My gut feeling though is that ZW will be better than people think.

Seems pretty clear we’re not getting an impact transfer big.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 08:29:20 PM »
Sure! If we want to compete in the way we expected when Wojo wasn’t working, we need better talent. And to get better talent we need to be MUCH more competitive on the NIL front than we have seen so far, unless the NCAA comes up with some guidelines. I’m not holding my breath for either of these things happening.

Look, I have had my concerns about NIL and Marquette’s willingness and ability to compete there as well. But TAMU also seems pretty knowledgeable and connected so when he speaks optimistically about what Marquette will be capable of in that realm it does alleviate those concerns for me, at least for now.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 08:32:16 PM »
Seems pretty clear we’re not getting an impact transfer big.

Well then we could have issues on the glass.  I think all hands should be on deck for a competent big.  If we strike out our margin for error is quite small. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 08:32:56 PM »

How do you know how competitive we are? Have we lost players that Shaka wanted due to NIL?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2022, 09:38:50 PM »
How do you know how competitive we are? Have we lost players that Shaka wanted due to NIL?

I don’t know. But I don’t see a ton of guys on the roster who have the talent to compete for Big East titles and NCAA Tournament wins. So if Shaka hasn’t been missing out, then I think he needs to adjust his recruiting.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2022, 09:42:12 PM »
I don't think it's everyone on this board. I think it's a vocal minority that keep saying the same thing without recognizing that there is a ton of money dedicated to this program and those people have a vested interest not just in building the Al or firing Wojo or hiring Shaka but in making sure our players are fairly compensated.
fairly compensated. Our players are fairly compensated. That really jumped out at me. Fairly compensated. Dang! NIL is bs, in my humble opinion. Paying a guy that’s on a full ride worth what, $180k, or thereabouts? Doesn’t a player accept the benefits of a scholarship, in addition to the perks of playing big-time college basketball in return for his/her talent on the basketball court? Accept the scholarship…or not.  Money? Go pro. Get the ride and get paid?
Ok, rant over.
Question. Put yourself in the shoes of said rich guy. What’s he get out of paying a MU player? How’s it help his/her biz? Or maybe it doesn’t…rather, it’s more so dolling out $50k, $100k for a few MU wins as an altruistic fan/alum?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2022, 09:46:06 PM »
Yet you didn’t mention development from all the returnees.

The truth is no one has any idea what to expect this season. An NIT berth or a sweet 16 run wouldn’t surprise me at this point.

Thanks for coming right out and mentioning development of players, but I thought it was implied in my post.

I expect us to do at least as well as we did last season, and the only way that will be possible is if several players take a MAJOR step. I would think Shaka and his assistants would have a lot to do with that.

As to your last point, I don’t know what will happen, but I do know what I expect. I expect our well-paid, highly regarded coach - who has his guys in place and has established his culture - to deliver a season Marquette fans will enjoy and be proud of.

I honestly don’t think it’s too much to ask for. Do you?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2022, 01:44:03 AM »
Yep, no excuses, especially with immediately eligible transfers. Results next year are on Shaka, good or bad.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence