[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: D Day  (Read 2553 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: D Day
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 07:01:23 PM »
What? You didn't watch The Man in the High Castle? American flags with swastikas where the stars are now!

Pretty good series IMO, flagged a little at the end. Also, the lead actress was about 10 years too old for her part.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2022, 05:14:34 PM »
Three years ago, my son and I flew to France to celebrate his 21st birthday. We drove to Normandy for a few days and did a tour of Omaha Beach.

As part of what we did, the tide was low and so we walked out about 100 yards off the beach. You could look up and see the cliffs and the positions staked out by the Nazis. Slowly I closed my eyes and tried to imagine what our forefathers encountered as they landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. I'm sure they were scared to death and yet they plowed on, confident that the calling that brought them to France was worthy of the sacrifice they were making.

Those people who died that day knew what our country was about. Those that lived to speak about it and to support our free brothers and sisters in Europe are heroes that our country could never repay enough.

The same can be said for all of those men and women who served in our armed forced and freed our world from Axis tyranny in places like Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and the Philippines.

Perhaps the most amazing thing of all was after we vanquished our enemy in Europe and Asia, we rebuilt them. Block by block. No other victorious army in history did what we did -- and it made an incredible difference. As President Truman said at Potsdam, "there wasn't a square inch of land we wanted..."

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2022, 05:22:33 PM »
Three years ago, my son and I flew to France to celebrate his 21st birthday. We drove to Normandy for a few days and did a tour of Omaha Beach.

As part of what we did, the tide was low and so we walked out about 100 yards off the beach. You could look up and see the cliffs and the positions staked out by the Nazis. Slowly I closed my eyes and tried to imagine what our forefathers encountered as they landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. I'm sure they were scared to death and yet they plowed on, confident that the calling that brought them to France was worthy of the sacrifice they were making.

Those people who died that day knew what our country was about. Those that lived to speak about it and to support our free brothers and sisters in Europe are heroes that our country could never repay enough.

The same can be said for all of those men and women who served in our armed forced and freed our world from Axis tyranny in places like Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and the Philippines.

Perhaps the most amazing thing of all was after we vanquished our enemy in Europe and Asia, we rebuilt them. Block by block. No other victorious army in history did what we did -- and it made an incredible difference. As President Truman said at Potsdam, "there wasn't a square inch of land we wanted..."

Well said brother dgies. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2022, 10:30:19 AM »

Thanks dgies. This is the kind of reply that I was hoping for-one that expanded upon my original.

In addition to imagining what it must have been like to be under fire, I tried to imagine what Healy feels like seeing America today.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
Ty Scoop Snoop.  it's exceedingly important to remember and listen to the words of these great men who are still with us and have passed. Way too much viciousness and a beyond unhealthy sense of entitlement permeates a lot of our society.  And by the way the CNN website, at 10:34 Eastern Time, on June 6th, has 0.0 coverage of the 78th anniversary of D-Day.  Totally inexcusable and they deserved to be called out.

PEAK IRONY

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2022, 01:26:00 PM »
On our flight to Europe on the 31st, we had three WWII vets going to Normandy for the anniversary. One was 100 and two like my father 97. They were of course given first class lie flat beds. About 2 hours into the flight, one of the guys opted to sit in coach because he wanted to be with his daughter. Bad ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »
On our flight to Europe on the 31st, we had three WWII vets going to Normandy for the anniversary. One was 100 and two like my father 97. They were of course given first class lie flat beds. About 2 hours into the flight, one of the guys opted to sit in coach because he wanted to be with his daughter. Bad ass.

Fk yes!  Ty for sharing pbiflyer.  UBA's (Ultimate Bad Asses).  :)

feedback