'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by BrewCity83
[Today at 03:23:55 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Dom Loves Shaka  (Read 5224 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Dom Loves Shaka
« on: May 26, 2022, 11:04:18 PM »
Came across this post from Dom James, still one of my favorite players from my time at MU. Some good character revealed stuff here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeCKkUIJUdg/
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Dom Loves Shaka
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 07:19:17 AM »
wow, didn't recognize the man.  pretty cool, nice endorsement for shaka and probably accurate.  shaka seems like the what you see is what you get-straight forward, honest, but firm.  i do wish we would see an occasional "hair on fire" moment not just to keep the refs honest but the players on a little edge and to know he has their backs
don't...don't don't don't don't

panda

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 07:38:20 AM »
Does this really need its own thread ?!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 08:23:05 AM »
Came across this post from Dom James, still one of my favorite players from my time at MU. Some good character revealed stuff here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeCKkUIJUdg/
Been following Don and his Neek and Ang programming. A tremendous family .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 08:37:00 AM »
He should send him a balloon in a box as a thank you

(kidding)
Bring back FFP!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 09:26:23 AM »
Loved Dom as a player and love him showing his Shaka love on social media. Every day I become more convinced that MU has the right guy running the program and representing the university.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 10:06:39 AM »
For me, the one guy over the last quarter century who deserved much more than he got at Marquette. Total stud.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
For me, the one guy over the last quarter century who deserved much more than he got at Marquette. Total stud.

Just a total lockdown defender.  And a darn good point guard too.  I think everyone expected him to be a good shooter,  which he was not.  However,  he did not chuck it from the outside,  sans maybe a little his Sophomore year.

When he graduated was second all-time in assists, third in points, and fourth in steals.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 10:35:08 AM »
Nothing but good things out of something like this. Between seeing Wade hanging with Shaka and the guys, Shaka reachign out to Bo (and the Bo scholarship), getting former players to come in and talk to the players about tape (specifically Wes in this regard), and this with Dom--it's clear that Shaka wants to ensure that the "Marquette culture" spans beyond just the kids he coaches (dare I say, something like "the brotherhood" with Duke).

Off the court, this is what you want to see out of your coach. Community involvement, family feeling, and a vision that the basketball program is bigger than the coach. Love to see it.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 10:43:04 AM »
Dano

I really loved watching him play D. He is very underrated as far as all time MU players go, and I am guilty of not including higher on the list. I'll take Dom over Markus every day of the week.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 10:48:38 AM »
Nothing but good things out of something like this. Between seeing Wade hanging with Shaka and the guys, Shaka reachign out to Bo (and the Bo scholarship), getting former players to come in and talk to the players about tape (specifically Wes in this regard), and this with Dom--it's clear that Shaka wants to ensure that the "Marquette culture" spans beyond just the kids he coaches (dare I say, something like "the brotherhood" with Duke).

Off the court, this is what you want to see out of your coach. Community involvement, family feeling, and a vision that the basketball program is bigger than the coach. Love to see it.

To be fair, all the same could be said about Wojo. Lots of talk of people coming back to the program during his tenure.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 10:55:48 AM »
To be fair, all the same could be said about Wojo. Lots of talk of people coming back to the program during his tenure.

My issue with Wojo were on the court--I think he wanted to build something similar.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 11:09:23 AM »
Dano

I really loved watching him play D. He is very underrated as far as all time MU players go, and I am guilty of not including higher on the list. I'll take Dom over Markus every day of the week.
Hot take!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 11:54:08 AM »
Dano

I loved Dom.  Dom was not a two time all american and top 25 all time scorer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 12:06:43 PM »

But remember, there was not one good thing during the Wojo era unless it came from Stevens Point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 12:14:22 PM »
I loved Dom against Valparaiso.   I loved the block against Tennessee, the block against Wisconsin.   I loved that they ran alley-oops to a 5'9 guy.   His broken foot derailed what could have been a legendary season.  I appreciate everything he did at MU and was a huge fan.

Two time all american is always going to win with me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 12:20:13 PM »
I loved Dom against Valparaiso.   I loved the block against Tennessee, the block against Wisconsin.   I loved that they ran alley-oops to a 5'9 guy.   His broken foot derailed what could have been a legendary season.  I appreciate everything he did at MU and was a huge fan.

Yep.  Not even a question for me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 12:21:11 PM »

Just a clarification, he measured 5-11 3/4 in shoes at the draft combine.  If only we had a blender for Dom's physical ability/defensive mindeness and Markus' shot creation/shooting ability.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:24:18 PM by lawdog77 »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 12:22:03 PM »
My issue with Wojo were on the court--I think he wanted to build something similar.

+1, we've had two high-character coach hires in a row now

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »

Basketball courts are 94 feet

Hot take!!!

Not really
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Viper

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »

one hundred percent yup yup
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2022, 01:03:26 PM »
Are two NCAA Tournament wins (never making a second weekend) THAT much more impressive than no NCAA Tournament wins?  Especially when the guy didn't even play in one of the two NCAA Tournament wins?  And particularly when the guy had multiple other NBA and All Conference players playing alongside him?  The team never finishing higher than 4th in the Big East?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2022, 01:09:55 PM »
Are two NCAA Tournament wins (never making a second weekend) THAT much more impressive than no NCAA Tournament wins?  Especially when the guy didn't even play in one of the two NCAA Tournament wins?  And particularly when the guy had multiple other NBA and All Conference players playing alongside him?  The team never finishing higher than 4th in the Big East?

Not to mention Markus didn't get a chance his senior year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2022, 01:17:32 PM »
Basketball courts are 94 feet

Thanks!

Not really

It's an incredibly hot, and bad take.  I don't think I have seen a fanbase intentionally diminish the accomplishments of one of the greatest players in its history like Marquette does Markus Howard.  I mean...cmon...Dominic James?  The same Dominic James half this group wanted to run out of town before his senior year because his production dipped from when he was a freshman?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2022, 01:26:25 PM »
Thanks!

I don't think I have seen a fanbase intentionally diminish the accomplishments of one of the greatest players in its history like Marquette does Markus Howard.
+Infinity

But my preferring Markus does not in any way diminish my appreciation for DJ.
Both things are possible.

feedback