[Today at 08:40:42 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020 Census Numbers  (Read 3054 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
2020 Census Numbers
« on: May 19, 2022, 08:26:16 PM »
Apparently 14 states significantly under or over counted.  I don't know where this ranks historically but it's clearly a problem.  There have already been State L elections.  WTH is going on?   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2020 Census Numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 08:32:55 PM »
Apparently 14 states significantly under or over counted.  I don't know where this ranks historically but it's clearly a problem.  There have already been State L elections.  WTH is going on?

They probably shouldn't have rushed the count and cut the census budget in the middle of a global pandemic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 08:37:07 PM »
They probably shouldn't have rushed the count and cut the census budget in the middle of a global pandemic.

Have you seen how far off some of these states were?  That can't happen.  Totally inexcusable and we should all be outraged.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 08:39:49 PM »
it was intentional.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44:18 PM »
it was intentional.

The vast majority of the states are not swing states and both red and blue.  Why on earth for example would Delaware and Hawaii have counts that are so far off?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 08:57:06 PM »
The vast majority of the states are not swing states and both red and blue.  Why on earth for example would Delaware and Hawaii have counts that are so far off?

There are many reasons. As Brew said, funding was cut.

Also, an estimated 60 million American households had yet to be counted when the administration decided that it would slash a full month from the typical 2+ months allotted to follow up with households that didn’t respond. It also shortened the period that follows where they check the information for accuracy and remove duplicates. That process normally takes five months; it was cut to three.

Finally, the administration's attempt to put a citizenship question on the form caused many people to refuse to respond.

It is always a challenge to get an accurate count of poor, minorities, and native Americans. A lack of funds just made it worse than usual.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 09:09:29 PM »
Have you seen how far off some of these states were?  That can't happen.  Totally inexcusable and we should all be outraged.

Like jockey said, this was all deliberate. I'm more surprised that anyone if surprised than that this was a massive screwup. That part wasn't just predictable, it was the planned outcome.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 08:54:08 AM »
Like jockey said, this was all deliberate. I'm more surprised that anyone if surprised than that this was a massive screwup. That part wasn't just predictable, it was the planned outcome.

Or maybe census takers were scared of people eating their livers with fava beans?  None of this makes much sense to me as far as it being deliberate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 08:56:31 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 09:01:45 AM »
Or maybe census takers were scared of people eating their livers with fava beans?  None of this makes much sense to me as far as it being deliberate.

Yeah, well it was.  Widely publicized.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 09:13:15 AM »
Undercount I understand .. has anyone read how overcounts occur?   Massive duplicates being let through?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 09:23:28 AM »
Let me give a micro example of what is a small part of the problem.

My wife and I own a home in suburban Chicago and in Florida. We are legal residents of the Sunshine state and were in our home in Florida on April 1, 2020. When we filled out our census form, we filled it out in Florida. We also indicated on the census form that we owned a home in Illinois and that no one was in the home on April 1, census day.

Subsequently, we received three notices from the census bureau wanting to know why we had not filled out a form for our Illinois home. Each time we again explained to the Census Bureau why there was no one in the home. That wasn't good enough, so at least three census takers came to the house looking to credit us for our home in Illinois. Only God knows whether we were "estimated" into our Illinois home.

Census stakes are high. Others have noted the political implications of population differences. But federal largess is, in part based on population and on income and economic data gleaned from the census. Getting it right may make the difference between sending funds to Illinois, or say, Montana.

Ultimately, I don't think it's a matter of money or time. It's bureaucratic competency. You'd think that for an exercise that happens once every 10 years, the Department of Commerce would get it right -- Covid or no Covid. Our government is full of hangers-oners whose self-importance is recognized only by the person in the mirror. Incompetence reigns supreme in an environment where risk is rewarded with bureaucratic demerits.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 09:31:38 AM »

My wife and I own a home in suburban Chicago and in Florida. We are legal residents of the Sunshine state and were in our home in Florida on April 1, 2020. When we filled out our census form, we filled it out in Florida. We also indicated on the census form that we owned a home in Illinois and that no one was in the home on April 1, census day.

Subsequently, we received three notices from the census bureau wanting to know why we had not filled out a form for our Illinois home. Each time we again explained to the Census Bureau why there was no one in the home. That wasn't good enough, so at least three census takers came to the house looking to credit us for our home in Illinois. Only God knows whether we were "estimated" into our Illinois home.

Census stakes are high. Others have noted the political implications of population differences. But federal largess is, in part based on population and on income and economic data gleaned from the census. Getting it right may make the difference between sending funds to Illinois, or say, Montana.

Ultimately, I don't think it's a matter of money or time. It's bureaucratic competency. You'd think that for an exercise that happens once every 10 years, the Department of Commerce would get it right -- Covid or no Covid. Our government is full of hangers-oners whose self-importance is recognized only by the person in the mirror. Incompetence reigns supreme in an environment where risk is rewarded with bureaucratic demerits.

Once every 10 years pretty much guarantees that no one from the previous census is around for the next one.  Also, technology chances so quickly now, as well as culture.  I have almost zero desire to answer my door unless I know the person on the other side.  Because they're usually selling something that I am not interested in... so why even bother?  Now imagine if I had any sort of criminal background or had immigrated to the US.  Staying away from authority and keeping your head down is immigrant 101.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 09:58:46 AM »
Once every 10 years pretty much guarantees that no one from the previous census is around for the next one.  Also, technology chances so quickly now, as well as culture.  I have almost zero desire to answer my door unless I know the person on the other side.  Because they're usually selling something that I am not interested in... so why even bother?  Now imagine if I had any sort of criminal background or had immigrated to the US.  Staying away from authority and keeping your head down is immigrant 101.

Brother Hards:

I get part of what you're saying. The Political leadership almost certainly changes and there is change-over across a decade. But the careerists are still there and they change over two or three censuses.

Until the Bureaucracy is rewarded for taking risk, there won't be any and we will mush through the process.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 10:19:43 AM »

We have this strange mania in this country where every time a vital governmental service underperforms, we attribute it to the attitude of the public sector employee, cut their funding, and thereby guarantee the same or worse results next time.

The real reason the Roman empire fell was because they lost the ability to collect taxes. We're careening toward a similar fate.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 10:26:52 AM »

More genius from TFG.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 10:48:22 AM »

Ty brother dgies.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
Perhaps, but that was not what happened this time around. Read the stories; it was intentional.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 11:51:49 AM »

No, it was talked about constantly during the process. It was underfunded, rushed, and the process was constantly muddied publicly. It seems wild that anyone would be griping about this now instead of 2 years ago when people were screaming about how it was being deliberately botched by the people at the top.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 11:57:04 AM »
We have this strange mania in this country where every time a vital governmental service underperforms, we attribute it to the attitude of the public sector employee, cut their funding, and thereby guarantee the same or worse results next time.

The real reason the Roman empire fell was because they lost the ability to collect taxes. We're careening toward a similar fate.

Brother Burrow:

It's not just the attitude. It's the culture of entitlement. It's about as easy to fire a federal (or Illinois state) employee as it is to balance the federal budget, drive an eight-lane highway through a mountain or clean-up after a Florida hurricane. All are possible but the hassle of changing the culture is not worth it to most professionals.

Secondly, I don't have any figures, but I'd go back to 1970 and I'll betcha the biggest growth industry in most parts of this country is government. Even if you put the number of employees over the change in population for a per capital number (or an inflation adjusted level of compensation), the numbers probably would bear me out.

Or, maybe I lived in Illinois too long!

We need government. We need regulation and enforcement. We need outcomes favorable to the American people, which means we need a level of competency we do not have today. The census bears that out.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 12:15:59 PM »
Perhaps, but that was not what happened this time around. Read the stories; it was intentional.

Will a "Ministry of Truth" solve this issue?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 12:21:33 PM »
Brother Burrow:

It's not just the attitude. It's the culture of entitlement. It's about as easy to fire a federal (or Illinois state) employee as it is to balance the federal budget, drive an eight-lane highway through a mountain or clean-up after a Florida hurricane. All are possible but the hassle of changing the culture is not worth it to most professionals.

Secondly, I don't have any figures, but I'd go back to 1970 and I'll betcha the biggest growth industry in most parts of this country is government. Even if you put the number of employees over the change in population for a per capital number (or an inflation adjusted level of compensation), the numbers probably would bear me out.

Or, maybe I lived in Illinois too long!

We need government. We need regulation and enforcement. We need outcomes favorable to the American people, which means we need a level of competency we do not have today. The census bears that out.

Brother dgies ... public sector employment has declined over the past 15 years.
Perhaps the problem isn't those lazy entitled government workers, but the fact there are fewer of them being asked to do more work.

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/10/effects-of-economic-downturn-private-and-public-employment.html

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 12:51:09 PM »
Will a "Ministry of Truth" solve this issue?
No, but reading actual articles about what happened might make you more informed
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 12:57:46 PM »
Brother dgies ... public sector employment has declined over the past 15 years.
Perhaps the problem isn't those lazy entitled government workers, but the fact there are fewer of them being asked to do more work.

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/10/effects-of-economic-downturn-private-and-public-employment.html

Brother Pakuni:

Please re-read my posts. I never accused government employees of being lazy.

I did say they felt entitled and I did note that they didn't seem to know what on earth they were doing.

That, my brother, is not lazy. It's either incompetence or stupidity!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 03:14:49 PM »
Brother Pakuni:

I did say they felt entitled and I did note that they didn't seem to know what on earth they were doing.

I'm disappointed that you feel our troops, police officers and first responders are stupid and entitled.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2022, 03:48:39 PM »
I'm disappointed that you feel our troops, police officers and first responders are stupid and entitled.

Nice job trying to twist his comment.  That's not who he was referring to and you know it. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 04:02:56 PM »
Nice job trying to twist his comment.  That's not who he was referring to and you know it. 

Oh. So I guess painting with a broad brush is only OK in certain circumstances. Gotcha.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 04:04:38 PM »
Please tell me who he is referring to so I know who to have contempt for.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 09:18:05 PM »
Brother Pakuni:

Glad to know that I'm entitled as well as stupid or incompetent.  I'll be sure to tell that to my colleagues who regularly put in 60 to 80 hour work weeks despite no overtime an peanuts for salaries. I mean one of them is incompetent but I think every office,  private or public,  has at least one
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 09:41:53 PM »
Glad to know that I'm entitled as well as stupid or incompetent.

Are you and 4ever brothers?   :)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2022, 07:54:08 AM »

Who's he talking about, then?
Librarians? Nurses? Forest rangers?

Or maybe the real incompetence here is trading in lazy stereotypes to insult millions of people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:12 AM »
I am a lazy, incompetent civil servant.   I take no umbrage.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.