collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baby Food Shortage  (Read 5632 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Baby Food Shortage
« on: May 15, 2022, 09:33:56 AM »
What are the real facts on this one?  I've read a few articles with wide ranges of opinion.   I know Abbot isn't thrilled with a few narratives being bandied about.  You would think this crisis in solvable and there should be some sense of urgency?  I have some personal anecdotes from my cousin in Austin but perhaps some of you have  stories and solutions?  How this has happened is pretty dumbfoubding even with supply chain issues or what have you.

tower912

• All American
Re: Baby Food Shortage
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 09:44:51 AM »
Big factory in Michigan got shut down.   It will be reopening shortly.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 09:49:50 AM »
It's a bit of a perfect storm, but it essentially comes down to the U.S. baby formula market being cornered by three American companies and one of them shutting down production because of a recall.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 10:39:13 AM »
It's a bit of a perfect storm, but it essentially comes down to the U.S. baby formula market being cornered by three American companies and one of them shutting down production because of a recall.

This. It doesn't seem to be any kind of sinister plot. Hopefully it will be remedied soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 11:12:13 AM »
I work for an ex Abbott company and have experienced the same occurrence of what happened. You slow walk replacement of capital machinery in order to hit a certain capital cash flow number and then old machines past their reasonable useful life break down and cause bigger problems than just replacing them when it was time to. FDA needs to get off their ass on matters like this too.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 11:37:29 AM »
Not to make it political, but it recently got mainstreamed by one of the political prime time hosts, which has caused an a cute run on shelf supplies of the products not affected by the shutdown.

Nada on the shelves in Waukesha the last few days in several stores we’ve checked.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 12:23:36 PM »
Our daughter was born two months before COVID. There were times we couldn't get formula in the store because there was a rush on it by doomsday preppers when COVID started.  I doubt that's a major factor this time but I wonder if there are some with stockpiles who don't need it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 12:45:20 PM »

Nailed it.

Another sector with "monopoly lite" dynamics.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 01:03:52 PM »
Bette Midler said it isn’t an issue, women just need to breast feed and stop complaining. Problem solved.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »
Bette Midler said it isn’t an issue, women just need to breast feed and stop complaining. Problem solved.

Good one.

It is a little weird we only have three baby food companies.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »

My mother in law said the same thing this morning.  My wife showed amazing restraint while addressing that comment
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 01:30:03 PM »
Our daughter was born two months before COVID. There were times we couldn't get formula in the store because there was a rush on it by doomsday preppers when COVID started.  I doubt that's a major factor this time but I wonder if there are some with stockpiles who don't need it.

There's some stockpiling for sure.  I assume your daughter is now having an assortment of cuisines/meals and has stepped up her eating game. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 01:50:07 PM »
There's some stockpiling for sure.  I assume your daughter is now having an assortment of cuisines/meals and has stepped up her eating game.

For sure.  Crazy child will eat anything.  She even loves spicy food
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 01:54:35 PM »
Bette said something outrageous and got pilloried for it.   Stop looking for reasons to snowflake.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 02:11:54 PM »
For sure.  Crazy child will eat anything.  She even loves spicy food

Smart kid.  Sounds like you and Mrs. TAMU Eagle need to get your cooking skills closer to her sophistication level.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 02:45:11 PM »
In addition, there is specialized processes and equipment , as the baby formula has to meet a very high regulatory bar. So alternative production can not come on line quickly .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 04:09:26 PM »
Appears to be real.  Wife works in WIC.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2022, 04:42:19 PM »
It's real and it's been real. Finding formula has been tough for the last 4-5 months, but it really became impossible about 6 weeks ago. Target, Walmart, Pick N Save, Woodman's, Piggly Wiggly, they're all wiped.

I was lucky to find 2 canisters of our regular formula a month ago. I also got a canister of "Gentlease" which has iron added, which has led to our son being constipated the last month. I've cut down the mix to try to minimize the constipation, but there's no formula to be found.

On the plus side, he's 6 weeks away from being able to drink milk instead of formula. I'm hoping we have enough to make it that long. It'll be close. Really glad he's 10 months and not 2. I don't know what we'd do.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 04:54:05 PM »

Yah unfettered capitalism! (Right?)

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2022, 06:25:10 PM »
Costco here in Denver has infant formula. I only picked up two canisters, no need to hoard but makes me a lil nervous. Pediatricians also have some if things get real bad. Byheart is the only startup I know of stateside. Crazy how dominated the industry is. No new entrants in some 15 years? Wow.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 06:57:40 PM »
Smart kid.  Sounds like you and Mrs. TAMU Eagle need to get your cooking skills closer to her sophistication level.

Oh,  I married very well.  This child wants for nothing in the cuisine department
TAMU

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2022, 09:47:26 PM »
Part of the issue is tariffs.  Inability to price compete with domestic producers squeezed Canadian formula producers in the USA market.
Ludum habemus.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 10:03:58 PM »
Oh,  I married very well.  This child wants for nothing in the cuisine department

"This child" will need a myriad of prime-time dishes and cuisines moving forward.  It's all fun and games now but don't be surprised with some of her requests by the time she hits kindergarten. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2022, 08:09:05 AM »
I read several Canadian and European baby food makers are excluded from the USA market simply because of labeling and nothing else.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2022, 08:13:33 AM »
I read several Canadian and European baby food makers are excluded from the USA market simply because of labeling and nothing else.

Tariffs play a far greater role. Even the WSJ agrees.
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/who-made-the-baby-formula-shortage-biden-administration-abbott-tariffs-nestle-11652480538

feedback